Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Savage Cracker posted:

i don't see why not

what would the alternative be ? a 3rd PCS/VCS team ? i doubt they'd do any better

A second seed for CBLOL is the most obvious thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

if you wanted to compromise, you could do a regional 4th worlds seed playin tournament between LCS and CBLOL, but i imagine that's something more in the future

the LCS has fallen on hard times but you probably don't want to immediately dynamite the marketability of the league by carving away all of its prestige, even if the loss of a 4th seed might well be deserved

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

I legit thought this was a troll when I saw it on Twitter so I came here to double check. Sure it's T1 academy but all that means is we're one bad keria split away from rekkles being on the same team as Faker which is an extremely funny timeline to live in

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

looks like the GenG era is officially over, with the org releasing doran, peanut, chovy, delight, and pretty much every single coach they've got

legitimately sad end for the roster. they were domestic monsters that just nonstop choked whenever they hit the worlds stage, and having them go out in ignominious defeat, especially given peyz's royal road performance this year, is heartbreaking. hopefully they can build a new roster around peyz at least, as that dude deserves a solid team

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
I look forward to more LCSPA drama.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Vermain posted:

looks like the GenG era is officially over, with the org releasing doran, peanut, chovy, delight, and pretty much every single coach they've got

legitimately sad end for the roster. they were domestic monsters that just nonstop choked whenever they hit the worlds stage, and having them go out in ignominious defeat, especially given peyz's royal road performance this year, is heartbreaking. hopefully they can build a new roster around peyz at least, as that dude deserves a solid team

Yeah, totally agree, kind of a bummer but they really should have gotten it done last year.

Killed By Death
Jun 29, 2013

More than half the LCK rosters are exploding lmao.

Not repeating the GenG mention:

Damwon release Deft, Canyon, Canna
KT release Cuzz Aiming Lehends Kiin
HL release Kingen, Life
BRO release Morgan, Umti, Hena, Effort
DRX release Beryl, Croco, Fate, Deokdam
LSB release Closer, Teddy, Burdol, Kael

And that's just today.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Killed By Death posted:

HL release Kingen, Life

And that's just today.

this seems like an insane amount of churn for a single offseason, jesus

it admittedly was a very weak domestic year for the LCK. T1 just rolled through spring until the inevitable finals, and then summer was team after team imploding due to some weird internal issue. i do think most of them will stick it out in the LCK, but i can see some of the lower tier players having to bite the bullet and shop around in LEC/LCS/CBLOL

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021
They should merge CBLOL and LCS somehow, and makeone big Americas League

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
TL Canyon/Chovy/Aiming inc

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Scallop Eyes posted:

They should merge CBLOL and LCS somehow, and makeone big Americas League

the ping differences sadly make this an impossibility unless we're moving everyone to a border town, but the idea of a regional americas tournament between LCS, CBLOL, and LLA was being floated earlier in the year, and i think it'd be a fantastic idea

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have
I'm going to keep preaching but one of NA's biggest problems is always going to be lazy teams building around as many imports as they can get, and that includes quite a few players who have residency that don't have any business on a pro team getting jobs just because they're a Korean that doesn't take up a Korean slot.

Get rid of the import rules, keep the 8 LCS franchise teams that are left, create a second league open to anyone who wants to field a team, take 4 from LCS and 4 from LCS-Lite and make them compete to see who makes it to World's. idk, you can even have the second league in Chicago closer to the servers or somewhere on the East Coast to make it East vs West for the finals, that'd be a little fun considering how massive North America is and the only people who can reasonably be there are people from LA (Or cheap fly-ins like Vegas)

I'd love to see Cr1tikal or Disguised Toast's teams getting a shot at World's, NA's only hope at getting their viewership up is leaning back into what made it popular in the first place, big personalities.

and hell, there are still a lot of Chinese and Korean americans/canadians that could root for their all Chinese or all Korean teams just like LMQ when they were around, at least that gives more of a team identity than 4 imports, one of which is role-swapped and another who hasn't seen a title in 8 years

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

some juicy offseason tidbits:
  • emenes posted a donezo manifesto after confirming he's going to military service. pretty standard "west sucks" stuff mixed in with a lot of self-absolvement, although he makes mention that the NRG members are all hard workers and that, hilariously, fakegod got in his good graces because his mom cooked really good korean meals. summit also butted in at some point to flame APA
  • uzi thinks he's going to retire, since he's unable to keep up physically and mentally with the insane practice schedule that's standard for LPL rookies that would otherwise let him keep a starting spot. it'd bigtime suck to see him vanish again after giving it another go and not finding any purchase given his legacy
  • zeus at bare minimum has confirmed he's kept his T1 contract. looking increasingly likely that they'll keep the roster around after their worlds performance, which isn't a bad idea with how hard it is to get a worlds-winning team together in the first place
  • some rumors that chovy and canyon have signed back on with GenG; canyon/peyz/chovy's a decent foundation to build the rest of the team around
  • FLY's dropped winsome, impact, sharkz (?), and vulcan. i'm sure impact will land on his feet somewhere, but winsome's future is probably up in the air after FLY's disastrous year

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

There are few sadder slow fades than Uzi.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Vermain posted:

some juicy offseason tidbits:
the funniest part of this is on the korean site he posted it on someone asked 'is this real?' and someone else replied 'who the hell would pretend to be emenes?'

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Endorph posted:

the funniest part of this is on the korean site he posted it on someone asked 'is this real?' and someone else replied 'who the hell would pretend to be emenes?'

lmao, brutal

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
https://twitter.com/VulcanLoL/status/1727438497005625399?t=GJjVFX1zshWyfGcmHNLSnA&s=19

Looks like champions queue will have duo queue

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Endorph posted:

lmao

he technically did get a single trophy in his case, a feat most pros never manage to reach, so i suppose you have to, as they say, hand it to him

it honestly seemed like a bust before the break, so i'm surprised they're doubling down on it. maybe there'll be more lenient entry requirements

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Vermain posted:

lmao

he technically did get a single trophy in his case, a feat most pros never manage to reach, so i suppose you have to, as they say, hand it to him

it honestly seemed like a bust before the break, so i'm surprised they're doubling down on it. maybe there'll be more lenient entry requirements

It's different because this is preseason patch ahead of time. Pros gotta start playing the new poo poo

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Sexpansion posted:

With only eight teams in the LCS, will they still have four worlds spots? That's literally half the league lol

god i hope not

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

finally Rekkles will have good teammates. interested to see what he can get done

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Killed By Death posted:

HL release Kingen, Life

And that's just today.

why is T1 the only team that mostly keeps rosters

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

CODChimera posted:

i think they're more risk averse than a lot of other teams due to how astronomically important keeping up appearances is for their branding; everyone's got an outsized expectation of where they're "supposed" to land during the season (top 3 or bust) due to their historical record and faker's ongoing presence, and they consequently don't want to rock the boat if what they've got is still working

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021

CODChimera posted:

Maybe because of Faker? He's the biggest name on the esport, he could've gone anywhere he wanted, but he stuck it out, and that mentality probably rubs off on his teammates and staff.It also helps that he's a co-owner of the team.

Savage Cracker
Jul 21, 2010
I think the fact that this particular iteration of the team has been so consistent over the last 2-3 years is a big reason to keep it going. Especially now that they've actually won a huge title other than that single LCK spring one.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
It’s so funny to see people retroactively praise T1’s consistency when they sucked out loud from MSI until Worlds

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021

Firebert posted:

It’s so funny to see people retroactively praise T1’s consistency when they sucked out loud from MSI until Worlds

They still got second in LCK summer though

Savage Cracker
Jul 21, 2010

Firebert posted:

Which I why I said the last few years and not a single regular season in a single split.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

*watches any part of LCS*

*thinks T1 "sucked out loud"*

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Scallop Eyes posted:

They still got second in LCK summer though

They won a choking contest with KT lol

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

couple more offseason odds-and-ends:
  • NACL is adopting fearless draft for next season, which is the format where you cannot select a champion again after it's been picked by your team once (though the enemy team can still draft it). pretty interesting change, since it could potentially help to improve development by forcing wider champion pools, as well as simultaneously helping to drum up NACL views by putting together a more unique viewing experience
  • APA got resigned by TL (thank god) as well as yeon, and umti's being brought over to fill out jungle. no clue who they're getting top, but it's a kinda middling roster without anyone who can really hard carry
  • doran and peanut have hopped over to HLE, so RIP to my man g-rizz. his contract's due in 2025, so i have a bad feeling he's going to be riding the bench unless he gets a trade somewhere

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Fearless Draft is something I would love to see standard for second tier competition.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Vermain posted:

• doran and peanut have hopped over to HLE, so RIP to my man g-rizz. his contract's due in 2025, so i have a bad feeling he's going to be riding the bench unless he gets a trade somewhere

Grizz is more than happy to be playing in tier2. Dude barely had any experience before being forcibly called due to clid. He has potential but he needs to get more experience by playing games down there

Also peanut is the jungler he looks up to the most so you can bet he's ecstatic

Killed By Death
Jun 29, 2013

https://www.sheepesports.com/articles/sources-summit-signs-with-movistar-r7-in-the-lla/en

:rip:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Oof visible from space.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
I see that the PCS is also absorbing the LJL.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

he supposedly rejected offers from better-paying teams, so he's either got a fellow import friend over there he wants to play with or the dude just really, really wants to go to worlds at any cost for some unfathomable reason

kirtar posted:

I see that the PCS is also absorbing the LJL.

probably for the best with how comparatively small the LJL is. i do think it's a good idea to get all the minor SEA/OCE leagues clustered together to try and improve competitiveness and increase viewership numbers, and the growing japanese esports scene will contribute a lot to that

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Summit is about to be the first pro to clear 3k lp on the LAN server

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Fool me once, I guess.

I dumped some RP I've gotten from the prime gaming rewards to get the current event pass since it should have gotten me enough tokens to get the lot of mythic essence (2000 from pass + 200 I had gotten free). It only got me to 2160 tokens and I'm not sure I have the time tonight to grind out the games for the recurring mission.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I only bought the event pass this time cause T1 won Worlds.