Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.

Vermain posted:

pyosik is the big surprise, since i can't imagine his contract was cheap after winning worlds literally this year

guess we'll see if the great korean import experiment is gonna work out or not

Apparently DRX didn't want to keep the roster and the rest of the LCK teams either had their rosters locked before worlds or had already lined someone up, so he was forced to look outside of of Korea. With how many other teams are cutting costs too they could've gotten a pretty good deal just from his lack of options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Veev posted:

Apparently DRX didn't want to keep the roster and the rest of the LCK teams either had their rosters locked before worlds or had already lined someone up, so he was forced to look outside of of Korea. With how many other teams are cutting costs too they could've gotten a pretty good deal just from his lack of options.

oof, going to NA right after winning worlds and it not even being an intentional choice to check out for a paycheck would be pretty rough.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Imagine winning one of the greatest Worlds finals ever and caring so little about the team that managed it that one of them ends up in loving NA.

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

njsykora posted:

Imagine winning one of the greatest Worlds finals ever and caring so little about the team that managed it that one of them ends up in loving NA.

I think the issue is Zeka and Kingen put on such hard carry performance that their value went up a lot and their could explore free agency. They already won worlds so why not cash in?

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Pyosik was probably the worst part of that roster but also he's going to be one of the best jungles in na I guess. I really want this liquid roster to sweep everyone

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Rogue saw Splyce rebranding as a Spanish team worked out alright so are trying it themselves with Ibai's new org. Though it looks weird when the LEC tweet makes it look like a whole new org entering.
https://twitter.com/Rogue/status/1578108813613625345
https://twitter.com/LEC/status/1600143021810614272

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
Here's a new doublelift vid where he apparently randomly queued into Closer, Bjergsen, and Busio over in Korea where he also just randomly appears to be (on vacation surely)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5qFw8eHNdw

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/Doublelift1/status/1601011337236459520?t=j0GleGLG2S4m97hlL6Kulw&s=19

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KLiV6MMxv4

I like how they pulled Bjergsen out of the trash

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Hey we've won multiple splits with a solid roster, time to dig up some washed up names to replace them!

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

njsykora posted:

Hey we've won multiple splits with a solid roster, time to dig up some washed up names to replace them!

They’re gonna sell a hell of a lot more hoodies tho.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GTVIgLazjs

phreak's retirement vid. i wish him the best in his future endeavors and hope they do not bomb out jatt-style so we are free of him forevermore

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

Vermain posted:

phreak's retirement vid. i wish him the best in his future endeavors and hope they do not bomb out jatt-style so we are free of him forevermore

NA viewership skyrockets!

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Vermain posted:

6 minutes of phreak? hmm

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

CODChimera posted:

6 minutes of phreak? hmm

Fortunately unlike most YouTube videos the most relevant part is in the first 10 seconds

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
wasn't he hired as an intern like 10 years ago to do game design?

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
I didn't like Phreak at first in the early LCS years, but he grew on me. He got less condescending and pedantic (though it ain't all gone!) and I like it when he calls out utter bullshit bad plays. Riv and Phreak was my favorite duo, but I'm a glutton for punishment.

Kobe and Flowers are my favorites now, I hope they stick around for a while.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Phreak never really bothered me too much. He isn't everyone's taste

Last year or so Phreak has been great with some of his brutal honest takes/reactions.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Generally it's better for the product for commentators to build up the players instead of calling them dumb idiots, even though it can be entertaining

I was hoping he'd take his player criticisms and become a team coach but oh well

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Digital Jedi posted:

Phreak never really bothered me too much. He isn't everyone's taste

Last year or so Phreak has been great with some of his brutal honest takes/reactions.

yeah his genuine anger/frustration with NA was good

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
He's a very mid tier pbp but now that means we only have Flowers and Letigress in LCS. And Flowers is the goat but he can't cast every game, so...

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

I warmed up to Phreak a lot watching his Path of Exile videos of all things. He's smarter than his casting persona, and he's got a good head for numbers. Now if either of these things are actually beneficial or welcome at Riot, TBD.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Going to be weird losing Phreak but he's certainly earned this shot.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

That Paramount series they did must've done well because the whole thing got uploaded to the Lolesports Youtube channel presumably so someone would watch it.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

I warmed up to Phreak a lot watching his Path of Exile videos of all things. He's smarter than his casting persona, and he's got a good head for numbers. Now if either of these things are actually beneficial or welcome at Riot, TBD.

i have basically the same impression of him as i did of rivington: i think he's a smart guy whose talents and interests clearly lay outside of PBP, and design work will fit him considerably better

njsykora posted:

That Paramount series they did must've done well because the whole thing got uploaded to the Lolesports Youtube channel presumably so someone would watch it.

i might have to give it a watch because everyone i know who's watched it seems to swear up and down that it's actually pretty funny as both a parody of league team culture and of the pervasive melodramatic docudrama style that's common in filmmaking today

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Vermain posted:

i might have to give it a watch because everyone i know who's watched it seems to swear up and down that it's actually pretty funny as both a parody of league team culture and of the pervasive melodramatic docudrama style that's common in filmmaking today
It's designed exactly for the person who loved American Vandal on Netflix and hoots and points like an ape seeing his reflection when people talk about league on TV (and being entirely accurate like they use the old SR when they're showing the team playing in early tournaments)

I thought it was one of the most entertaining shows of the year, as a result.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
It isn't nearly as good as American Vandal but it does try to tell a typical sports movie/show story through the esports lens. If you're into esports (especially league and especially LCS) at all it's probably worth it.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Broadcast plans for 2023. LEC is moving to Sat/Sun/Mon, LCS is Thur/Fri, LPL is 7 days a week, LCK will start games earlier in the day. Shoutout to LCS officially being marked as the region that has to make way so the LEC has the whole weekend to itself.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Well, guess this is the season where I don't see an LCS game then

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

LMAO they actually did it and signed an ADC that couldn't even qualify for EU Masters.
https://twitter.com/RekklesLoL/status/1603421066151460865

Nook
Jan 27, 2015

njsykora posted:

LMAO they actually did it and signed an ADC that couldn't even qualify for EU Masters.
https://twitter.com/RekklesLoL/status/1603421066151460865

bargain bin leffen lookin rear end

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

so he didn't like his forearm tattoos, so he just got his entire arm tattooed black?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

saintonan posted:

so he didn't like his forearm tattoos, so he just got his entire arm tattooed black?

This is actually what happened.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

saintonan posted:

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

njsykora posted:

Broadcast plans for 2023. LEC is moving to Sat/Sun/Mon, LCS is Thur/Fri, LPL is 7 days a week, LCK will start games earlier in the day. Shoutout to LCS officially being marked as the region that has to make way so the LEC has the whole weekend to itself.

12 PM PST is a laughable start time, especially for a loving friday, unless their audience surveys are revealing a lot of daydrinkers

guess they're banking on EU viewers coming back to the fold but it's still a pretty big "gently caress you" to the domestic market, which tells me that they saw the numbers declining and felt they didn't really have a choice

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Vermain posted:

12 PM PST is a laughable start time, especially for a loving friday, unless their audience surveys are revealing a lot of daydrinkers

guess they're banking on EU viewers coming back to the fold but it's still a pretty big "gently caress you" to the domestic market, which tells me that they saw the numbers declining and felt they didn't really have a choice

LCS: Straight to VOD edition

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
I've already decided I'm gonna watch more LEC this year so I'm fine with this

when does the new season start anyway?

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

saintonan posted:

LCS: Straight to VOD edition
Pretend I put in the effort to photoshop Twitch (champion? streaming site? both?) with the banner "rats from a sinking viewerShip" here

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

isaboo posted:

I've already decided I'm gonna watch more LEC this year so I'm fine with this

when does the new season start anyway?

Usually second week of January.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Man everything's popping off now, Riot are involved in the legal case against FTX and their deal for the LCS sponsorship was an expanding one for 7 loving years. Anyway the crypto company shockingly didn't pay half the 2022 money. There's some other fun stuff in the rest of the thread, like Riot saying being associated with FTX has harmed their image.
https://twitter.com/molly0xFFF/status/1603922405952573442