Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

monte was saying on twitter that the deal was for something like $96m total and that they'd budgeted accordingly, which is, uh, not ideal

supposedly the VCT is using the LCS arena too, so the wretched start time is probably meant to reduce crew costs and open the floor to a wider pool of potential advertisers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

why would you make a backloaded sponsorship deal with a company that's existed less than like, two years.

and its a company in a space where companies disappear overnight.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

why would you make a backloaded sponsorship deal with a company that's existed less than like, two years.

riot: where startup brain meets gaming company brain

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 26 minutes!
https://twitter.com/molly0xFFF/status/1603924038023356422

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Every corporate idiot was dazzled by the crypto bubble, hence the sports arena naming rights being signed for decades which everyone said at the time wasn’t going to work.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

lol did riot really get a fraction of the money that tsm got

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

njsykora posted:

Every corporate idiot was dazzled by the crypto bubble, hence the sports arena naming rights being signed for decades which everyone said at the time wasn’t going to work.

seems like the lads at riot dont know how to make investment decisions

Greataval
Mar 26, 2010
The LCS schedule kinda works for me I watch LPL in the morning everyday LCS and pretty much ignoring LEC since I don't like the Euro leagues.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I'm guessing Riot doesn't have a ton of fiscal discipline on account of having one of the more potent infinite money engines in the industry. Sometimes that attitude gets you Arcane, sometimes it gets you signing deals with crypto companies.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Greataval posted:

The LCS schedule kinda works for me I watch LPL in the morning everyday LCS and pretty much ignoring LEC since I don't like the Euro leagues.

it works perfectly fine for anyone that can have it on in the office or for people who aren't in the continental united states, which is probably the point of it. if you look at the spring split schedule, all the big teams are right up at the front, something that strongly favors the 9:00 PM CET start time so that EU viewers can be in bed sawing logs when IMT and GG are playing. it even opens up the possibility of people in CN/KR catching games if they wanted to for some reason, although it's very clearly meant to be a way to get the EU viewers back watching over anything else

i really think this would've gone over a lot smoother if they'd just been upfront about the fact that the numbers weren't where they wanted them and that switching to such a godawful start time is necessary for the LCS to have a future. instead they're trying to slip it under the door and hoping no one will notice, which comes across as deeply disrespectful to domestic viewers even if they've got a perfectly legitimate reason behind it

Vermain fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Dec 20, 2022

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

also addendum in a separate post since it deserves it: lmao at superweek being a loving wednesday/thursday/friday schedule

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

njsykora posted:

LMAO they actually did it and signed an ADC that couldn't even qualify for EU Masters.
https://twitter.com/RekklesLoL/status/1603421066151460865

BOTH arms???

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

it's one of life's funny contrasts that rekkles in game is this overly cautious, highly conservative ADC who gets regularly ribbed for being a do-nothing KDA player, and then his real life is him just being like "gently caress it, i'm gonna get a full torso tattoo, it's cool man"

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
His tattoo looks cool as long as he maintains that exact body shape for the rest of his life.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

1stGear posted:

His tattoo looks cool as long as he maintains that exact body shape for the rest of his life.

OK gramps

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
Everyone in my friends group is an old dad and the earlier start times seem optimal for us. Evenings on weekends are busy with the kids/spouses and afternoons/early evenings during the week we can throw it on at the office or otherwise. Plus it seems like 1200pst is fairly high traffic on twitch, though I dunno if the influencer/variety streamer crowds will transfer to an esports league.

I don't think it's a good sign that they've switched times. But I also don't expect viewership to crater as much as the vocal people on social media may suggest.

Greataval
Mar 26, 2010

Vermain posted:

it works perfectly fine for anyone that can have it on in the office or for people who aren't in the continental united states, which is probably the point of it. if you look at the spring split schedule, all the big teams are right up at the front, something that strongly favors the 9:00 PM CET start time so that EU viewers can be in bed sawing logs when IMT and GG are playing. it even opens up the possibility of people in CN/KR catching games if they wanted to for some reason, although it's very clearly meant to be a way to get the EU viewers back watching over anything else

i really think this would've gone over a lot smoother if they'd just been upfront about the fact that the numbers weren't where they wanted them and that switching to such a godawful start time is necessary for the LCS to have a future. instead they're trying to slip it under the door and hoping no one will notice, which comes across as deeply disrespectful to domestic viewers even if they've got a perfectly legitimate reason behind it

To honest I feel like everyone kinda knows watching League is dying in NA not much of a point stating the obvious.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
I'll probably miss a bunch of games.
2-5 is right in my work hours and while I can watch on my phone I can't be certain i'll get the time to. And Thursday nights I have bjj so I won't see the last two matches almost ever.
Friday's the same but I'll probably catch the last games getting home.

I imagine I'll watch many highlight videos this year.

Going to miss it on the weekends for the sole reason it gave me something to turn on in the background.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
LCS was pretty low on my viewing schedule so sliding it over to the less busy days of Thurs/Fri (and Wednesday for Super Week?) is A++ and I'll actually watch more now

edit - plus that 3pm EST start is great because it'll give me two free games to watch while finishing up work for the day

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Am I the only one that watches exclusively by VOD? I'm in NA and I don't think I've watched more than a few NA games live.

The only series I've watched live the whole way through was the worlds final a couple months ago which was a very good decision.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Is there a good single site for LoL news, particularly roster changes and whatnot?

Some lazy googling led me to find out that Jensen and Santorin, two of my favorite players, have joined Dignitas. Ignar, Spawn, and Armut round out the team. I giggled at the mid lane reveal here

https://twitter.com/dignitas/status/1605248452996173824

I don't know much about Spawn but the rest are pretty solid

I'm sad to see FLY has revamped their entire team, but my man Impact is there now so that's good.

isaboo fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Dec 20, 2022

_aaron
Jul 24, 2007
The underscore is silent.

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

Am I the only one that watches exclusively by VOD? I'm in NA and I don't think I've watched more than a few NA games live.

The only series I've watched live the whole way through was the worlds final a couple months ago which was a very good decision.

I did exactly the same last year. The schedule change means I’ll have it on my computer while I work instead of trying to watch on weekends while busy with kids.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/JamesDash/status/1610370899697602561

Incredibly stupid of RIOT to jettison their incredibly talented and charismatic host

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Sounds less like he's being gotten rid of and more like he's doing the same thing Sjokz did and going freelance from what he says about still being involved. He's just not going to be there every week.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

njsykora posted:

Sounds less like he's being gotten rid of and more like he's doing the same thing Sjokz did and going freelance from what he says about still being involved. He's just not going to be there every week.

"the new direction of the LCS has no need for a full time host" sounds exactly like LCS cost cutting and indirectly/directly removing opportunities for Dash.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Burying NALCS broadcasts in the graveyard of "middle of the day on Thursday and Friday" sure seems to be making all the analyst talent drop off, huh.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Riot treating LCS like Nexus Blitz

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Jerkface posted:

"the new direction of the LCS has no need for a full time host" sounds exactly like LCS cost cutting and indirectly/directly removing opportunities for Dash.

he apparently said on stream that he was let go, so this is very much a "i no longer have a full time job and need supplemental income" announcement. he's been their most consistent presence for years at this point with a commensurate salary, so cutting him back is entirely a cost-saving measure; this probably also explains pastrytime and phreak's sudden departures

the great FTX kablooie couldn't have come at a worse time when the league was already struggling to remain relevant. kinda hard to convince sponsors to sign on when it's obvious that you're getting to the point of chopping up the furniture to keep the hearth going

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

Vermain posted:

he apparently said on stream that he was let go, so this is very much a "i no longer have a full time job and need supplemental income" announcement. he's been their most consistent presence for years at this point with a commensurate salary, so cutting him back is entirely a cost-saving measure; this probably also explains pastrytime and phreak's sudden departures

the great FTX kablooie couldn't have come at a worse time when the league was already struggling to remain relevant. kinda hard to convince sponsors to sign on when it's obvious that you're getting to the point of chopping up the furniture to keep the hearth going

I'm sad about Dash leaving. He was terrific for the broadcast. He has immense talent, and I"m sure he will find something else.

Time to bring back relegations! As weak as LCS is on the international stage, this would bring back *some* drive to watch the league.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Firebert posted:

Riot treating LCS like Nexus Blitz

https://twitter.com/YamatoMebdi/status/1610780909837643776?t=Xtoe0pSGix5cet3LsHjGog&s=19

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

YO LEAGUE IS BACK TOMORROW.

Actually looks like a really fun format for the show match they're using to open the season, best of 3, no bans, no repeat picks, no repeat positions.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

njsykora posted:

YO LEAGUE IS BACK TOMORROW.

Actually looks like a really fun format for the show match they're using to open the season, best of 3, no bans, no repeat picks, no repeat positions.

yeah it actually looks good. it'll be at a psycho start time (11 AM PT?) but i'll thankfully be around

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Bunch of bad MSI format changes but who cares because FINALLY AN EVENT IN THE UK AGAIN. Also they're loving with the Worlds format so there's no more group stage, play-ins are a knockout bracket, main stage is a first to 3 nightmare judging from the graphic and thankfully final 8 is still single elimination knockout as god intended.
https://lolesports.com/article/state-of-the-game-lol-esports-in-2023/blt5d3bca31d1b39e0c

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
All of the changes are actually goated

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

restructuring and no losers bracket? Lol seems strange, idk i wouldnt be surprised if last year was the peak of the game...but jungle pets? maybe i'll be wrong...

was there anything before this TF vs TD game?

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

njsykora posted:

Bunch of bad MSI format changes but who cares because FINALLY AN EVENT IN THE UK AGAIN. Also they're loving with the Worlds format so there's no more group stage, play-ins are a knockout bracket, main stage is a first to 3 nightmare judging from the graphic and thankfully final 8 is still single elimination knockout as god intended.
https://lolesports.com/article/state-of-the-game-lol-esports-in-2023/blt5d3bca31d1b39e0c

The main stage seems fine given that it's a Swiss format. The main alternative within a Swiss format is to cut it at 4 rounds and use the resulting rank as seeding since that's the minimum number of rounds to differentiate 16 teams. I suspect that they did their weird first to 3 because it fits into the daily schedule better especially with all make or breaks being Bo3. A 3-x team must by necessity qualify into top 8 out of 16, and it basically builds in the tiebreakers that you'd need to deal with with the mess of 2-2 teams from a 4 round swiss.

kirtar fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jan 10, 2023

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
love the swiss change, should lead to much more competitive games

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

the boomers vs. zoomers games were kind of whatever, but it was a great cast with kobe, flowers, markz, and whatever pro they could scrounge from the audience. kobe was teetering real close to not toeing the party line on dash's eviction

i know it's not really feasible but the format of "three guys drinking beers and bullshitting over league of legends games" is one i'd pretty happily tune in to on the reg

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
LEC is back and live, y'all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAlvDEdhIoI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

The League of Legends EMEA Championship as no-one will call it. This whole twisting of the region to find a way to include Saudi Arabia in a major region is very sad.