Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Mr. Grapes! posted:

I think if people want to switch things up it really helps to use the Thematic Board.

It gives games a different tempo as different boards have varying numbers of lands so some of them have practically no desert or no wetlands or whatever. I think it really emphasizes the co-op nature of the game as Spirits have to glide toward each others land a lot earlier instead of just cleaning up the predictable messes at home.

I guess it adds +3 difficulty?

Typically we do 4-5 player games and we always start newbies on the Thematic Board with usually a Level 3 or maybe 4 adversary for a first go. I think winning about 1/2 the time is the sweet spot for a co-op for us at least.

The difficulty it adds because of the tempo changes sounds cool. The difficulty it adds by being completely illegible less so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Quote still isn't edit

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Mr. Grapes! posted:

It is also nice because it starts the game with some animals, diseases, etc on the board which make things a lot more fun with Spirits and powers and such. We never really try to meta-game it with starting positions but it is cool to start somewhere near a lot of animals and then lucky-draw some animal-based minor power that you would normally just ignore.

The balanced boards start the game with diseases in the cities and beasts in the lowest numbered land without any icons!

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Perry Mason Jar posted:

I get that, it's just unclear whether JE is adding something that mitigates this change because it's also JE that adds the rule. That is, is it balanced with just B&C - is it errata or expansion-specific?

The B&C rulebook also doesn’t say to skip events on the first invader phase, but it feels like errata so I went with it. Skipping versus discarding changes things for France but, should I be doing neither? Both? If I'm only playing with B&C?

Just demolished France Level 2 with Keeper (on second try, to be fair) (and everything going in my favor... lol) so maybe I should favor just sticking to the vanilla B&C rules and not skip first invader event at all?

The first turn event can be extremely swingy, so they decided that the game is better without it. The errata would have been "skip the event the first round" were it not for France. If you skip the event the first round, Slave Rebellion comes up later than it should. Rather than errata both the event draw and France, the errata for the event draw was done in a way that would not change the event timing for France.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

The two games where I have tried to teach have been disasters, running so long that people had to leave before we hit the point in the game where it starts to feel good. I asked the gaming group that I haven't been able to make it to in three years if there had been any Spirit Island play and it sounded like it didn't make much of a splash with them. So, I've made peace with the likelihood that it might just be a solo game for me. It's a very good solo game.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Something I've really grown to appreciate as I get deeper into the game is the tension between picking a card that's great for my elements and a card that solves problems for me because it does something new. At first I figured 8 elements was way too many for a sensible color pie, and I don't even have a grasp on the mechanics under each element's umbrella yet, but clearly it's there.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Fellis posted:

The important thing is the time scale I think. The Dahan are the humans of the land and, in time they could grow and alter the terrain on the level of Invaders, but it wouldn’t be immediate and scarring, and the spirits and land might evolve with them. The Invaders are showing up and clear-cutting, strip mining, and driving animals out of their habitats which blights the land and causes immediate response.

I think it also might be attitude, as there are cards that change Invaders to Dahan and vice versa. Like what is your disposition toward the land and living alongside the spirits?

I don’t think the Dahan being expendable is weird. Its definitely a case by case basis on the attitude of the spirits and evolves within the game as Tekopo mentions, which I think is very apparent in the theming of the cards and spirits. Volcanoes and such don’t care what’s in the way, while things like Shadows are much more dependent on Humanity existing to give the spirit form.

That is what I was going for :cheeky:

In the lore, when the Dahan showed up they did blight the land, but not on the industrial scale of the Invaders. The spirits fought back and the Dahan learned not to piss them off in the First Reckoning. There was a Second Reckoning that we don't know much about except that Grinning Trickster Stirs Up Trouble set it off "by telling the absolute truth in the worst manner possible" and that the Dahan don't think of the spirits as gods afterwards. Sounds to me like they learned how to kill spirits.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

ConfusedUs posted:

Grinning Trickster is my favorite spirit, lore-wise.

He has my favorite card in the game: Overenthusiastic Arson.

He's my third favorite terms of gameplay, behind Many Minds (swooping about causing havoc) and Ocean (drowning fools).

There is an appropriate amount of enthusiasm for arson, Trickster, and this is simply too much!

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Toshimo posted:

Is there a good consolidated place to read all the lore? I primarily play on the Steam App, so I guess if it's in the rulebooks, I'd have to go find the PDFs.

Most of it is from spirit panels and crowdfunding previews of spirits, all of which is collected here: https://spiritislandwiki.com/index.php?title=Lore#tab=null

There's also a lore tab on all the invader pages on the wiki if you want to learn about who married someone different and why that led to a world with more colonial powers.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Molnija posted:

Gave up fiddling with the little bags for the tokens with solo play, invested in local dollar store tubs and plano.

Spirit boards + cards in the core box, everything pictured in the Jagged Earth one.
Nature Incarnate needs 4 storage tubs to neatly store its stuff so gonna merge the 1+3 energy tokens into a single tub and the same for the two sets of scenario markers.

No idea how to handle the 8 new spirit boards from NI and 4 5 from Horizons once it's available here :shepspends:

The 5 from horizons are at least thin. Unless you're the kind of weirdo who's bothered enough by them being different to spend $10 to order the full thickness boards.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

I got to play Spirit Island with actual other people on the 4th and I grabbed Mud because Mud is great and I felt confident I would be able to take my goddamn turn.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Tekopo posted:

I just noticed that one of the pictures in the OP of the thread has a Ocean board set up with yellow pieces. Who uses anything other than blue pieces with Ocean?? You have to choose thematically appropriate colours for your spirits, people. Yellow for Lightning, Blue for Ocean, Green for Keeper or Spread!

Agreed, this is a much worse offense than the picture of River playing a Lightning unique that even Lightning doesn’t play.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

The Spirit boards are the real pain point when it comes to storage. Too big to fit more than a single stack of them in a box, and with the thick horizons boards the stack is now taller than a box, bringing the dreaded specter of lid lift. But I noticed that they were exactly as tall as two boxes, so I went and did this:

Oh gently caress.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

I played my first game with Relentless Gaze of the Sun and gained a real appreciation for what a cool ability Consider a Harmonious Nature is by never activating any of it once. Burn it all down.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

When I have described Fractured Days Split the Sky's kit as "a bunch of complicated ways to barely do anything that if you align just right might allow some forward progress" I've been told that Slip the Flow of Time is three of the most powerful effects in the game, and you can do them multiple times in a turn. Which, sure, I guess. But I'll never play in a group that gets deep enough into the game to make use of that, and I drat sure won't ever have the mental capacity to play it in a two handed solo game.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

There are some support spirits that need to find a way to do their thing on their own, and cards that target another spirit can be a little wonky targeting yourself, but it just works because it's just the regular game scaling in the regular way. Not a degenerate case at all.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

ConfusedUs posted:

For Horizons spirits, I really love Mud. I can’t even tell you why. He’s just fun.

1. It's an adorable otter.
2. The invaders trying to build towns that keep sinking into mud is funny and never gets old.
3. The push and pull between needing sacred sites for the special rule and splitting them up for the innate is a fun positional minigame for a low complexity spirit.
4. It always feels good to carve out a pocket that doesn't get explored and Mud does it very well.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

For me, the reason I Frankensteined one big box is that the spirit panels don't all fit in one standard sized box and splitting them between two boxes does not delight me.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Oh my god, this is so stupid. I love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Screaming_Gremlin posted:

I can't emphasis enough, just how much I overpaid for this. I wonder if you have your own 3D printer, if you could just buy the files off the seller for a fraction of the cost. Oh well, I play SI almost weekly with one of my friends, and about half of that involves going to his house.

Whatever the surcharge is to get someone else to 3D print something for you, it's cheaper than owning and maintaining a 3D printer.