Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1secondpersecond
Nov 12, 2008

It's worth hunting down the "promo packs", each of which contains two additional spirits. The first one contains my absolute favorite for its fast and dynamic playstyle: Heart of the Wildfire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1secondpersecond
Nov 12, 2008

ConfusedUs posted:

Aren’t those covered by the Feather and Flame box? Heart of the wildfire is definitely in that one.

Whaddya know, they are. I picked them up back in the "wait for an email that GTG had printed 5 more copies, first come first served" era. Nice that they made them more available.

1secondpersecond
Nov 12, 2008

I play a lot of SI, usually around difficulty 5-7. Can anybody help me not hate BoDAN? I love spirits with serious tradeoffs, like Wildfire and Ocean, and special abilities that change the game completely, like Downpour. But I just don't get BoDAN.

1secondpersecond
Nov 12, 2008

Admiralty Flag posted:

As an experienced player, is it the undertuned tracks (especially the plays track) and inability to push cities (I mean, I get it thematically, but it's a big weakness that has to be managed with Dread Apparition, a costly power)? Or is it something else? Because I think those two problems are enough to really handicap it at higher levels of play.

I love the theme and the gameplay of BoDaN at lower levels of play, but I'm not sure I've even taken it against any mid-level adversary given its troubles.

You've got it exactly - balanced track progression feels wildly mismatched to early invader progression, and unbalanced strategies make it hard to respond to certain card draws (particularly early builds in land #2). Playing it against England 5 or Sweden 3 is frustrating without support from an OP secondary like Spread of Rampant Green.

I will have to try that opener, KPC. I love the thematic feel of bombing major powers with "phantom" effects, it's just underwhelming in practice.

1secondpersecond
Nov 12, 2008

Ragnar34 posted:

Meanwhile my problem is that sometimes I look at the elements first and the text when I actually play the card in the slow phase.

My signature move is boning myself by failing to look at the targeting requirements when choosing a card with a perfect element match and then not having a land with dahan or a sacred site or whatever to originate the power from.

1secondpersecond
Nov 12, 2008

Ragnar34 posted:

You don't need to fit the targeting requirements to benefit from the elements so that's a :thumbsup:

True, but it's often nice to get the card effects in the slow phase too. I do probably undervalue the "0 cost elements match" selections though.

1secondpersecond
Nov 12, 2008

Fellis posted:

Im looking forward to playing darkness, it probably needs support for value scrubbing effectively, but I thought it looked great for trying to gain tempo early by stopping builds or other little micromanagement of the invader momentum. Also for building thunderdomes for spirits that have high damage/AoE but not a lot of push/gather

I found Darkness to be really potent in a four-player game because the ability to vacuum up other spirits' presence and vomit them out on a different board allowed rapid establishment and consolidation of sacred sites in the right place for effective targeting. Was a really good partner for Ember-Eyed Behemoth, in particular. Also, having a void full of presence and beasts makes it easier to use the growth options that have finite "vomit out" numbers while still melting the invaders you hold in the outer darkness.

1secondpersecond
Nov 12, 2008

I often fish the major pile for Blazing Renewal. It's a poor element match, but it pairs well with presence sacrifice and totally changes the game for Rampant Green. In general, I'll take the +power growth option and lose the major in my discard to pick up a new major and then reclaim one turn later when possible.

1secondpersecond
Nov 12, 2008

Fellis posted:

Are you talking about just the bits and then putting the boards in the box? I want a one box solution that holds everything, not have several disconnected bins

It definitely all fits in a Plano 135430. Boards and large cards in the top, take one of the storage trays out of the front and put the cards where it goes, fill the other storage trays with the pieces.

1secondpersecond
Nov 12, 2008

BODDYS is a surprisingly good support spirit paired with a spirit limited by reach/mobility. It can abduct presence from Ember Eyed Behemoth or Keeper of Forbidden Wilds and toss it out to create a sacred site anywhere it can reach.

1secondpersecond
Nov 12, 2008

LupusAter posted:

DUE is probably a slight design mistake. The Very High complexity spirits have a rather high power level to make up for that, and DUE being rather more straightforward in practice means you get ready access to that extra power without jumping through as many hoops.

I'd be interested to see somebody with very little experience play DUE, and how they'd do. I suspect there's an implicit level of system mastery that those of us who post in this thread a lot have that makes DUE click.

1secondpersecond
Nov 12, 2008

I played a game with a buddy over the weekend where he played Hearth Vigil and I played Dances Up Earthquakes. Those are some powerful spirits. I did almost exclusively top-row growth for Dances and got most of my card plays via the "pending" mechanism, and on the last turn of invader stage 2 I hit the "kill everything" threshold for my quake tokens and had two majors go off with full thresholds. Hearth Vigil was surprisingly good at fear gen, too.

1secondpersecond
Nov 12, 2008

SettingSun posted:

Starlight is my favorite JE spirit. Its complexity can be broken down with some system knowledge. You're making a spirit from parts. Deciding which elements to favor, whether you're going to be a major power slinger or not, etc. Your cards are a gacha you pull and see what you get; all their starter cards are more or less designed to be flushed away asap for a grab bag of minor/major powers you can design yourself around.

It's pretty ridiculous - you can basically drop a major every turn from turn 2 onward.

1secondpersecond
Nov 12, 2008

ConfusedUs posted:

Dances is incredibly powerful. Draft as many Major powers as you can. Play them so that they all go off at the same time. Stall until then, you're good at it.

DUE is way better at the "one good turn" playstyle than Volcano because of how flexible that one turn is.

My plays so far are making me think Dances is the most powerful spirit in the game. Against lower level adversaries, you don't even have to plan your future turns all that intensively, just dump anything you can get your hands on into layaway and keep a couple of powers you play every turn. Past a certain point, you can just hammer the first growth option to keep a steady parade of new majors marching into your layaway pile and reclaim your every-turn handy cards (some fast-phase control/push-pull is nice to make sure you make the most of your majors when they go off). If you also have good fire and earth element production per turn, you can get the quake token game going as well, which is just ridiculous.

1secondpersecond
Nov 12, 2008

I like to focus on bottom-track growth, alternating between the second and third growth options to keep my hand full and have enough energy for multiple plays. I try to threshold the first innate and pair it with Flame's Fury so I can wipe out a town early on and use the damage from presence placement to eliminate explorers before the build. If it looks like 2 damage can prevent blight placement from ravage in a land, I'll place a presence from the top track and take the blight at that stage instead of the invader stage and then start targeting lands where either presence placement can eliminate the threat, or presence placement + Firestorm can.

1secondpersecond
Nov 12, 2008

Elysium posted:

I played my first game of Starlight, which was pretty interesting and different. I’m pretty sure I did everything correctly except for one thing, which was pretty much the crux of the entire game. So for quite a while I basically didn’t really DO anything, except gain cards and energy and occasionally defend. Then I unlocked the track which was play an extra card and use one card fast. So I played 3 cards, all of which were natively fast, Unlock the Gates of Deepest Power, Powerstorm, and some minor. So with thresholded gates I gained a slow major, with elements that thresholded powerstorm. I then powerstorm Gates, gain another slow major. After paying for both majors I was out of energy, but my question is, can I play one of those majors that I just gained fast, per my track, and if I were to powerstorm that major, would it be fast again?

During this process I also thresholded every single innate except one lol.

One of my favorite paths for Starlight is to start milling majors really early. A good friend of mine runs a really extreme version of this that you can see in action here, where he challenges the host of Solo Playthroughs to defeat Sweden 6 using it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiabOWXkX_g&t=458s

1secondpersecond
Nov 12, 2008

StashAugustine posted:

Anyone got tips for figuring out openings without looking them up every time? I feel like I've got an okay grasp on maximizing inmates, but don't really have a good one on major focused openings never mind being able to distinguish between them. I also probably overlook playing just one t1 too much

I kinda just play the first four turns 1 spirit/1 board and see how I'm doing against blight, energy pool, invader count, and vibes. I will also fast forward/rewind full turns to see if I had a better growth choice available when things go south. That said, this has made me a solidly mediocre player so maybe there's a better way.

ETA: If I had duplicate island boards and spirit printings, I might consider laying out two or three copies of the same island board with their own blight and fear pools, and distinct copies of the same spirit across all of them. Then, I could play through different starting position choices, growth choices, and card selections on the instances while applying the same invader deck and event flops to all of them at once. You'd need to figure out how to handle divergent fear decks and blight cards, but that seems relatively trivial one way or the other.

1secondpersecond fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Mar 21, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1secondpersecond
Nov 12, 2008

Has anybody else tried the Mentor aspect of Shifting Memory? I played it with a buddy who kept gifting me card draw and ended up with a discard pile of about 20 cards despite using the mentor ability to gift from discard as often as possible. I only used the Reclaim growth option once, and when I did I had my next 3 turns on lock because I was spoiled for card choice and element matches.

And then I pulled Indomitable Claim. France 6 didn't stand a chance.