Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
I got a bunch of stacking screw-together jewelry containers, they work great for the small parts and setup is easy since you just detach the stack and spread them out. The only problem is that with jagged earth the box is full to bursting. I didn't back the new expansion but I'll probably pick it up at some point, gonna have to get a bigger box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
I think most of my games with shroud left me just slightly short on the elements I needed to be useful, so that checks out. I really like the spirit but it just felt half a turn too slow every time.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

If you're skipping the event entirely just put France's card one higher in the deck, it's meant to happen on a specific turn.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

Doing an event on the first turn can be incredibly swingy, discarding/skipping it is just to make the game a bit more consistent. No reason for it to be specific to JE. Like adding an extra blight to the card it's just a rule change that made sense.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

Gave Mists another try in a 3 player game against Scotland 6 and it went super well. One of the other players was ocean and I got tidal boon a couple times which really helped, I wasn't so dependent on drawing zero cost powers with the right element. We kept the island from blighting for a really long time while towns steadily built up, and I got to wipe out a whole bunch of them at once a few turns in a row, which was great.

It was still fairly close in the end, on the second last turn we got an unfortunate event that caused us to add something like eight blight instead of two. We won a fear victory right afterwards with only 2 blight left on the card.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

Had a crazy game with Fractured Days against England 6 in a 4 spirit game. Stone's Unyielding Defiance got Bargains of Power and Protection (give all dahan within 1 defend 1 permanently, can stack) fairly early, so Slip the Flow of Time (invaders build then ravage, dahan multiply and push, can repeat) turned into 'destroy everything in a land with dahan, then defend somewhere adjacent'. I got Gift of Twinned Days (you and another repeat lowest cost power) and we had Immense aspected Lightning, so their cheapest power was usually a 3 or 4 cost major and they had plenty of energy to pay for it. We got to repeat Pent-Up Calamity a bunch which was pretty fun, but things really took off when Lightning found Powerstorm. Between Gift, a triple use of Fractured's first innate (reclaim and replay a power), and Powerstorm we got to resolve an extra eleven powers in one turn, which was incredibly complicated to plan out but very fun. Stone also found Trees and Stones Speak of War (damage and defend from dahan, push dahan) so was basically cosplaying as Thunderspeaker shuffling dahan around everywhere. Mist was also present.

We still came very close to losing, there was a land at 6 buildings which I had to stasis multiple turns in a row as we had no other way to deal with it, and we had an event draw that increased ravage damage which could have killed us but luckily our fear cards were helpful and we stabilized at 3 blight remaining.

misguided rage fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jul 14, 2023

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

the holy poopacy posted:

Ocean really struggles against Habsburgs and to some extent Russia, and doesn't scale great at very high player counts. I don't fully agree with RedRevenge's reasoning but they're correct that Ocean is considerably weaker since JE came out.
Both of them have special rules which seem written to gently caress over Ocean in particular. Habsburgs are especially annoying because often you still get to kill the town (if there's a coast with a blight on it) but you lose out on the energy from drowning it. At least with Russia you get some extra fear. Scotland also makes things harder for Ocean although in practice I haven't found that one too bad.

misguided rage fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jul 14, 2023

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

Volcano single handedly lost us the game the other day, they're obviously terrible :colbert: (they exploded down to one disc and we hit one of the few 'everybody loses a presence' events that turn (we just mulliganed it))

OperaMouse posted:

F* you guys who already have Nature Incarnate. My kickstarter copy was supposed tobarrive before Spiel, butvthey messed up the European import taxes, so still waiting. :sassargh:
I didn't back the kickstarter because the group I normally play with was getting tired of the game, but I figured I'd pick it up retail at some point. Last summer I started playing with some other people who are now super into spirit island all the time, but it still hasn't been available locally. So painful I wanna be an earthquake

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

France is pretty unbalanced in general on the thematic boards. Back when you still resolved an event on the first turn it was possible to lose turn 1.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

I think you must have gotten a rule wrong, you can add a whole lot of unrest before the first ravage. Definitely a weird spirit though.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

If I know my gameplan is to try to play majors I usually want to pick at least one up in the first 2 or 3 turns. If you end up with an off element major then seeing it early can help inform your later drafts, and if you completely miss and still can't threshold it then you can always forget it for the next major. More generally if I have 4+ energy and a card in my discard pile that I don't mind forgetting I'll usually at least consider it.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

For reference: https://spiritislandwiki.com/index.php?title=List_of_Aspect_Cards

They were pretty conservative with the first round of aspects, the JE ones are pretty bad both from a power level and a fun standpoint. Pandemonium Lightning is the only one I would say works well. If you're counting the promo ones that were part of the same kickstarter, then I think Travel River, Immense Lightning and Might Earth are all good.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

I've only played Mentor once but I didn't like it very much. Turns out picking power cards is a really fun part of the game and not getting to do that kinda sucks. I thought the minigame of which cards to give away and which to keep would be more fun but it was straightforward most of the time and since you're stuck with whatever cards you drew you're probably not giving out ideal ones anyway. Maybe it's just cause I drew badly but I remember giving away a few of my starting cards early on which doesn't really fit with what I thought the aspect would be doing. I do plan on giving it another try soon.

Funny that the post above me mentions WWB, because when I was looking at the spirits before I got the game I thought Mentor would be one of my favorites with tons of interesting choices, and I thought that WWB looked the least interesting with the lack of options in the early game. My opinion on the two has completely flipped. You have a surprising amount of variety in the first few turns just between the innates, and the power progression with the healing cards feels really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

The point is that you get to do fun things for the whole game while that happens, instead of reclaiming your aoe defend over and over until you turn into a real spirit.