Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
gently caress yeah, Spirit Island! It’s one of the go-tos for my weekly group, and I’m looking forward to the next expansion

Let’s get some discussion going, spirit-by-spirit, in a terrible reverse order. First up, today’s reveal:

Obviously there’s more we don’t know about Wounded Waters at this point than most spirits, because there’s the healing cards that we haven’t seen, but I’m having a hard time imagining what the water power could be that would have me picking it over doing a damage whenever I place a beast somewhere—and *per beast* at that.

I also really like the flavor they’ve captured here. It’s been established that spirits can change over time, but while Starlight shows that for new spirits, this is the first time we really get to see it with an established one, and they really nailed it.

The Lord of Hats fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jan 11, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Phelddagrif posted:

Lightning is totally fine for your first play; it's Shadows Flicker that I thought was generally considered the weakest of the basic 4.

Lightning is a bit weird in that its "optimal" strategy is to play no cards at all on the first turn, saving up energy and throwing out a bunch of presence in order to play 3 cards on the second round, devastating the invaders. That really only matters when you start going up against adversaries; for the basic setup you can play it however you want and it's fine.

Shadows Flicker is just kinda garbage. It has so much difficulty activating its board power, especially at the upper levels--you have to do it all via cards, you're growing kinda slowly, and... it just isn't an especially flavorful spirit, given how simple it is. There isn't really anything to recommend it.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

The expansion arrived yesterday, so I got to play a game as Relentless Gaze of the Sun.

It is a very cool spirit—I T1 wiped a city off of the map, effortlessly wiped doomstacks twice, and a couple of times just straight up Bought Us A Fear Card l. Where it is strong, it is really strong. But it badly, badly wants a support spirit. It grows slowly (but consistently), getting new power cards is difficult for tempo (because you don’t get to move while you do it, and miss your delicious DOUBLE ENERGY GAIN option), and is kind of restricted in card plays. But if you have someone who’s good at shoving enemies around, or who boosts your growth, I think it really goes into overdrive.