Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012

mila kunis posted:

Any spirits you guys would veto in a teaching game? I'd say spirits that boost others too much like Rampant Green, or mess with core mechanics like fast/slow like Lightning's Swift Strike should probably be avoided.

Another issue I have with teaching is that I have the base + branch and claw + jagged earth all bundled together in one box. That's a lot of mechanics to frontload on newbies in a session :/

Also is there a storage solution out there for Everything (the three above + horizons of spirit island and the new expansion)?

I've never had an issue with using them in a teaching game. I feel like early on, it's more useful for people to see the overall gameplay loop of 'start->invaders blossom out of control-> spirits push back and get them under control->spirits win' than it is to have them flailing with no strategy and getting their teeth kicked in, and having spirits that help them win faster makes it easier for them to see without taxing their attention span too much. Plus, more people are hooked by a training game that goes great over one that went horribly. Once people grasp the basics of 'here is how you win', then they can move on to 'here is how you win with the training wheels off'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Yeah, those two are a pretty good combo (though admittedly Rampant Green works well with basically anyone), it's one of my favourites. Rampant Green can bog down the early waves of invaders while BoDaN gets set up, and it's no slouch at generating fear once it's time to sprint for victory. My preferred opening is to use Call of Midnight's Dreams to get a major power early and find one that's easily spammable and synergizes well, then build Rampant Green for support.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012

Arzaac posted:

Incidentally, does anyone have opinions on the Horizon spirits? I'm sure they're fine, but I pass over them every time in favor of a more complicated and interesting spirit from Jagged Earth or Nature Incarnate.

Eyes Watch and Fathomless Mud are also my favourite. Eyes' ability to gather Dahan from Defend powers makes it an army manipulator almost on par with Thunderspeaker, but with enough difference in how they play to be interesting. And it's always fun denying invaders their towns and cities as they sink into the mud.

The others are all pretty boring and straightforward (good at damage, good at damage, good at moving) though sometimes when I want a lazy game it's fun to pick one of them, pair them up with Lightning's Swift Strike or Rampant Green and utterly crush the invaders without them ever gaining a foothold.