Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

It's fine to let a land go early on if it lets you grow in power/solve other pressing issues. For example, taking a blight to remove all explorers from lands that are building this turn (thus stopping the builds, then the ravages) will give you a lot of breathing room, which in turn can be turned into greedier growths.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Pandemonium is one of the strongest spirits in solo since the massive amount of fear it generates lets you speedrun through the fear deck.
I know the megaturn strategy is what's recommended, and I guess that's how the spirit was designed, but I have better results with chain reclaims.

G2 -> top, top -> play nothing
G2 -> bottom, bottom -> play everything but raging storm
G1 -> play everything but raging storm + hopefully the 0 cost with fire you just drafted. If you didn't find any, use another 0 cost. Just play 3 cards if you didn't get any 0 cost. The odds of finding what you need in your next turns are pretty good.

Repeat G1 until turn 5 or so, then do whatever you prefer.

You only have one setup turn in your entire game that way, just like most spirits.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Ragnar34 posted:

At that point I might have just rewinded to see if the next event card would have changed anything, like you said, because honestly did that loss really have anything to do with your decisions?

It did, unless it was your first time ever seeing that event. It heavily punishes greedy defense optimization. This was clearly an awfully unlucky time to draw it, but it was a possibility and you can reasonably play around it unlike outpaced or other more bullshit events that got removed.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Fangs' only problem was being shipped with B&C. The base game obviously doesn't support its beast-centric gameplay and base+B&C doesn't give a lot of good beast cards/0 cost on-element cards. The spirit itself is perfectly fine, if frustrating to newer/weaker players who might make some mistakes early on and taper off due to its weakness to early blight. If you stick with it, you'll probably find that its issues all make perfect sense : reclaim + gaining a card is well worth 1 energy on a spirit with two growth options and the blight restrictions on its powers are mostly there to rein in its very strong early game. It's my favorite spirit and I can assure you it can beat any level 6 adversary* so don't worry too much about what people say.

*Habsburg 6 is rough but why would you ever willingly play against Habsburg

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Starlight Seeks Its Form became Death, the destroyer of worlds (drafted gift of constancy and gift of power turn 1)

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Sharp Fangs, Starlight, Finder and Trickster

I'll play pretty much anything except Shroud and Vengeance

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Ragnar34 posted:

I want the aspects so much. I'm surprised how restrained the Shroud one is, though. I'd heard that it was super good, but the presence movement feels less interesting than the old rule without being much stronger, and isolate is an effect I don't see having that much of an impact on Shroud's usual approach.

I guess I should just try it out and see what the difference is. Imo, Shroud's weakness is that it's at the mercy of the decks. A couple of ineffectual fear cards or bad blight card can cost you the game even at mid-level difficulties. I figured the aspect would have to help with that and the isolate is the closest thing I see to a defensive tool, so that part must be pretty impactful.

A guaranteed free isolate every turn is quite good.

- You can try and snipe an Explore to completely solve a Build+Ravage, which is fantastic when it works : it's better to try this when you're reaching the end of an enemy stage as it limits the number of lands that can come out. For example, this works 50% of the time on turn 3 with most adversaries (ignoring events).
- A more consistent and IMO better way to block explorers is to create a pocket of empty inland lands (usually 7 and 8) by pushing most buildings and isolating whatever's left so that explorers can't spawn. If there's only one source of building next to several inland regions, then isolating those buildings is like putting wilds on all those regions for this turn.
- Isolate is also great against adversaries like England, Scotland, Habsburg...

This aspect is definitely stronger than base Shroud, which is a good thing since it was slightly undertuned to begin with.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

1) Setup a game of Ocean/River/Downpour
2) Watch as your friends fight to the death for the blue pieces
:getin:

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

EU backers got hit with a 12 weeks delay because reading is hard or something. :bravo:
This means getting the game from retail should be both faster and cheaper, so I suggest EU goons keep an eye out for that while it's in stock.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

LifeLynx posted:

Played Wandering Voice Keens Delirium solo. Lost two presence and got two blight in the first ravage step and there was nothing I could have done about it. Might be the worst solo spirit? Its rules are too much for me to give it a second try.

You should straight up win 99% of the games you don't lose before turn 4, assuming you play the Good Build© that lets you play your 4 cards every turn to hit all your innates. It's kinda like River on crack.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Tenebrous Tourist posted:

What is this Good Build? I’ve only played them twice and nothing jumped out at me like an obvious progression.

It's just the same as River's best opening with an extra presence for energy. Not sure how this made it past playtesting.

Turn 1
G2 top bottom
Play either 1 cost power, nothing else

Turn 2
G2 bottom bottom
You could play the other 1 cost power and be fine, but it's usually better to only play Exhale Confusion. Banking 1 extra Energy this turn lets you gain cards with Turmoil every turn, which can be forgotten to pay for events. Take some blight to scale, this is a weak turn no matter what.

Turn 3
G2 bottom bottom
Reclaim Exhale, play Exhale + both cards you haven't played yet

After turn 3
G1 forever and play your 4 basic cards, you'll never place another presence again but it doesn't matter since your incarna moves every turn. Enjoy your fear + strife factory.

Don't play this against Prussia 6 or France 6 though.

Eraflure fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Mar 1, 2024

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Tekopo posted:

Apparently I’m going to get NI in April now. Lmao, and might I add, lol

I cancelled my pledge months ago and complained by mail since this is 100% their fault. I bought the game in retail at a lower price, got it months earlier than backers and I'm still getting the deluxe tokens for free as an apology, assuming they deliver to Europe before the heat death of the universe.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

All spirits suck equally. Instead of playing one, I sprinkle some presence on the map, pull 3 random minors and a major and roll a die to see how much energy and card play I get each turn, as the founding fathers intended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

mila kunis posted:

What's the most "you are 100% going blighted, enjoy the wilde ride" 4 spirit team? I'd imagine wildfire and vengeance would be up there but who would you add to make things as bad as possible. Gaze, bodan, trickster? Anyone else?

Wildfire, Vengeance, Wounded Waters, base Shadow