Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

The Lord of Hats posted:

I also really like the flavor they’ve captured here. It’s been established that spirits can change over time, but while Starlight shows that for new spirits, this is the first time we really get to see it with an established one, and they really nailed it.

Point of order: that's part of the whole game, by deliberate design - the idea is that the spirits HAVE to change during the game, and ever card you draft is the Spirits making a conscious decisions to change their nature to something better able to drive off the invaders. I think it's the second expansion that has, as an 'alternate rule,' the game phase "sit around after the game and think of new thematic names for your spirits based on the cards you have"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

SuperKlaus posted:

Sorry, old post, I'm catching up - what I do here is avoid talking about Blight in terms of damage, exactly. Seeing as it's generally a binary Blight / No Blight in this game, and it's always binary like that at teaching difficulties, I prefer to phrase it as first asking if the enemy has more than 1 strength - if so, Blight. Then we expend the strength against the Dahan. A slight change in phrasing does a lot to prevent confusion like "but they already did their damage to the land why are natives hurt." Defense reduces the enemy strength, which is a mite less confusing than saying Defense reduces two applications of damage.

Fair enough, but I feel like this would lead to confusion later - things like "the Dahan and Invaders deal damage simultaneously" is normally relevant to stop a Blight, but if you're teaching that Blight comes first, it's gonna require a bit of going back and reteaching. There's a couple other effects that would end up with the same confusion, relying on the fact that the human battles happen first.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

Ah, well you see

In that case

Uh

gently caress, poo poo

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

Lambo Trillrissian posted:

Same, Wildfire feels absolutely miserable to me against any serious challenge. I keep trying to make it work but it just feels bad against every level 6 adversary. You have to flood the board with blight but you get inordinately punished if the blight card flips to any presence removal effect. You place presence, blight, lose presence, and then can't move back in without cascading. Your blight removal is range zero so it can only remove blight where you already are, it can't help you move in somewhere you need to be. If other spirits support you to bail you out that support feels like wasted card plays that could have been better used elsewhere because the payoff is that you'll be in the exact same bad spot again next turn. It absolutely needs something more to manipulate or move blight like Wounded Waters' blight gathering. Having to dig through the power deck to fix your problems feels bad because most of those powers don't have elements you need. Maybe these problems are exacerbated for me because I mostly play duo games, it doesn't feel quite as punishing in a 4 player match with a bigger blight pool but anyone who takes Wildfire still feels like a liability. The only time Wildfire's mechanics feel good are when you have no real opposition, as soon as something goes wrong you just don't have the tools for making a comeback.

The best I ever did against a level 6 I lost against England to timeout because I spent half my card plays fixing problems I'd caused myself instead of actually advancing a win condition. And that was my best game.

Just to be clear, you mean place presence, blight the land you grew into, then lose presence later by some other effect, right? Wildfire doesn't lose presence by placing blight, but losing presence to enemy action isn't super common either.