Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

You can play lightning however you want basically up to most rank 5/6 adversaries, especially if you have a support spirit backing you up and feeding you energy. It's just really addictive to have all fast powers and getting everyone else hooked on your go fast juice with lightning's boon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Volcano is one of my top favorite spirits. Using their innate at high power is such a blast (heh), and combos really well with Defiance.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Growth 2 for life. I rarely take growth 3 unless I'm eager to move around the island.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

If I want a chill game I’ll keep the difficulty around 5, which is really a little more or less depending on the adversary. I’ll set up level 6 on any one of them if I want a challenge. And if I want to feel pain I’ll set up a high average dual adversary.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

That challenge is absolutely vile and I love it.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I think the common thought is if you didn't flip the blight card, the game was too easy for you. The two blight cards in the base game are really punishing though. I usually pull them out and play with the much better expansion cards.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Ocean paired with any spirit geared towards pushing invaders around is an A+ combination.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

With Starlight I like to dump my starter hand for a bevy of powers asap and use that to tailor where I direct my growth. Find a powerful major power and tailor yourself to always, always hit its threshold.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I'll start rookies on at most a level 1 adversary on the standard board. Usually Sweden but definitely not something like France or England. In my experience they have enough on their plate trying to figure out how to play their spirit without having to deal with how adversaries break the rules to make the experience harder. Sure the game will probably be simple for me but you have to pay that price sometimes.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Playing Mists with other people is a long session of reminding them to please not come in and destroy your damaged settlers that you're cultivating for fear.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I bottom out at France 2+ more than I win because I do not adjust any of my strategies which involve playing the long game with no consideration for how many towns are on the board.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I don't like Fangs because a lot of their movements rely on the absence of blight. You yourself can only move beasts in or around blight with a single card, which in my experience is a big pain.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Lure of the Deep Wilderness is my jam.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I’ve played this game an uncountable amount of times and I have never set up a scenario. I just never felt a need to shake the game up.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I don't care how long it takes, with brand new players we do the entire invader phase one step, one land at a time as a group. In addition to the above they usually have a tough time grasping that damage is simultaneously done to the land and to the dahan, and defense would cover both.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

That's another thing I try to show new players with my play is that dahan and blight are resources. Spend them to get an edge.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Anyone want to pass along any juicy spoilers for us non-discord people?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Yeah when I heard there were spoilers about I just take that to mean someone has the box and can tell me all the cool stuff in there that didn't make it into any of the crowdfund updates.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Growth Through Sacrifice is a slam pick almost every time. Tipping Point sucks. I'm glad it's gone.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I wish I would get my shipping notification. I live IN St. Louis! The GTG warehouse is on my way to work!

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Hell yeah I got my delivery today. Time to lose my weekend to some board gaming.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

In 4 player games it really helps Ocean to have the other players rewire their brains about what part of the island they need to cover. Let the ocean cover all the coasts and everyone else divvy up the inland.

Also Deeps is a really cool aspect. I felt like a king the first time I reclaimed a space for the ocean.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Bleeding Waters is rapidly climbing my top spirits list. In the one game I played I went full animal and all their unique powers and abilities made controlling my lands very easy. Dealing damage when you add or move beasts and dahan (to a lesser extent) changes the usefulness of so many power cards.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Raging Storm is hilarious if anyone else is playing anything with strong gather potential. Or if someone is playing Irresistible Call.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I usually pick in reverse. I chose a color that appeals to me that session and choose a spirit based on that.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I want to encase smb3 angry sun sprites in resin to use as presence for Gaze.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I've rarely played this game true solo (if I play alone it's two handed) and Serpent's always 'awakened' which, imo, is when you cross their crux point. If someone is playing a spirit who can accelerate growth we usually prioritize Serpent because the power spike is really notable.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I call that concept something else, where you dump a turn to gain a lot of momentum for future turns. Quake is really emblematic of that playstyle.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Complexity was never supposed to be an indicator of power. All the spirits can and do bring a ton of power to bear.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Starlight is my favorite JE spirit. Its complexity can be broken down with some system knowledge. You're making a spirit from parts. Deciding which elements to favor, whether you're going to be a major power slinger or not, etc. Your cards are a gacha you pull and see what you get; all their starter cards are more or less designed to be flushed away asap for a grab bag of minor/major powers you can design yourself around.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I like doing the huge volcano eruption for the spectacle of it, but I wouldn't risk setting it up unless we were already comfortably winning or I had an ally backing me up.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I can't put the Time spirit into anything but the "how the gently caress do I play this" tier. The only spirit I still find inscrutable.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

The last time I played with Fractured Days was in 2p with my partner playing them and I might as well have been playing alone for how effective they were. To be clear it was a good time and I think after a while she leaned in to trying to be as unhelpful as possible as a prank.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

It's specifically every sacred site with an invader, presumably to limit the empty choices.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I don't play true solo so the math is probably different, but Wildfire should be creating enough blight on its own to do whatever it wants with its innate. I usually have no reservations about just laying down blight wherever whenever, even to cascade if necessary. Their capacity for damage is near unrivaled.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Your Target may vary but I just saw Horizons on clearance for all of 9 dollars. Basically a steal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

If that isn't a thread title candidate I don't know what is.