Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

My friends keep trying to gaslight me into thinking volcano is bad and I don't understand them.

We just did a game last night where I played Volcano and despite the game ending with my entire board clear they kept making excuses like "Well it wouldn't have worked without Finder helping you out" (incorrect, the only thing finder did was bring in more things for me to kill) and "oh but its such a selfish spirit, you didn't help anyone out" (also incorrect, not only did I carve a big hole in Towering Roots' board I also stuck around to help kill and defend)

We did end up losing that game, Scotland level 6 is a really rough one. But Volcano worked out great. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Impermanent posted:

In a tram with Finder and Towering Roots volcano might be one of the less strong spirits, but only because of how over top powerful Finder is. It's a good pairing tho. Who was the 4th spirit?

(Volcano is still very strong. And that is a good team for them!)

Yeah that's basically what I'm saying, it doesn't really have Shenanigans that would make it one of the best spirits but its a strong offensive spirit. It has drawbacks, but also very powerful abilities that more than compensate for those drawbacks. 0-range powers especially feel great in volcano's hands, those aren't designed to be range 1 and it shows.

Anyways the 4th spirit we had was Dances Up Earthquakes. I can't really comment on the power of that one because none of us really know how to play it well, but it seems like it could be very powerful in the right hands.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Probably best not to dwell too much on that tier list, its an opinion piece by one person, even if he is a fantastic spirit island player.

Case in point, here's a write-up on BGG where they use a power combo of BoDaN and Silent Mists to win games at difficulty levels of 20+, with pretty high success rates to boot! Not too bad for alleged D-tier spirits, eh?

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Definitely agree, Grinning Trickster is a very powerful and fun spirit. Let's See What Happens is quite powerful most of the time as long as you're careful about putting it in a good land, and Overenthusiastic Arson is amazing even when it blights. I'm also personally a big fan of strife tokens and he just prints them out. He feels overtuned to make up for his randomness, which is great! I don't think he'd be that much fun if he was both random and balanced.

Incidentally, does anyone have opinions on the Horizon spirits? I'm sure they're fine, but I pass over them every time in favor of a more complicated and interesting spirit from Jagged Earth or Nature Incarnate.