Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
Played my third ever game today. To recap the first two played on the easiest possible base setup, game 1 took quite a long time with learning everything but we ground out a win eventually, game 2 was much more reasonable speed with Lightning being MVP.

So game 3 we decided to step it up just a bit and use the blight card, draw for powers, and use the moderate spirits, Spread of Rampant Green and Thunderspeaker.

Man this took forever. Just learning the new spirits and all the power cards and such just made every decision take a super long time. We almost won the game on turn 6, which seems like it would have been a relatively brisk victory, turns wise, but that was 3 hours into the game. We had a fear card that we needed to clear the only building left on the board and it didn’t so we called it a night.

Came back the next day and won 2 turns later. I had so many sacred sites on the board I basically just used Green’s special rule to sacrifice presence and prevent the invaders from doing nearly anything at all, and it was very easy to pick off the last couple buildings at that point.

Speaking of winning, it’s quite anticlimactic. Just reviewing the board and the cards played and it’s a bit like “alright well this power could do this or this, but that doesn’t really matter because this ravage won’t do anything here, and we take two blight but that doesn’t matter, and they build here, but that this random minor power takes care of that in the slow phase and… we won. Ok pack it all up I guess.” It doesn’t really feel like you finally grew into a great and powerful spirit and vanquished your foe with an epic burst of power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
Pretty tempted, but I honestly don’t know if they would every really get played. Will probably only be able to get the base game on the table a couple times a year as it is, so I’ll probably just end up playing on the app instead.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
Lol I’m an idiot. So I picked up the extra Horizons spirit boards, without even considering the fact that they don’t come with the special power cards for the spirits.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Some function differently without others around (eg Snake), some require specific approaches to deal with their weaknesses or are a bit swingy (eg Ocean, BoDaN) but everything works well enough to be worth playing.

Coincidentally I just tried both of these spirits (for the first time) solo single handed last night.

I think Ocean went fairly well, it’s obviously tough not being able to reach half the board but eventually I was able to do some things that could at least push and gather things closer to the shore and I generated a fair amount of fear so at one point I just looked up and it was terror level 3 and there was only one building on the board and easily took care of that.

BoDaN was a bit of a different story, obviously i tried to just generate as much fear as possible but it was very unclear to me which powers to use and where to put presence and from what track. I was not particularly successful in “destroying” things in ways that would push them where I wanted, so I ended up pretty overrun when my invader cards went Mountain, Mountain, Coastal (with a coastal mountain). But it turns out that at normal difficulty, being overrun doesn’t actually mean that much except one or two more blight, and even though it seemed like I was completely losing I still managed a fear victory with a couple blight left.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003

Elysium posted:

Lol I’m an idiot.

Continuing this theme, I’ve played several games now on board and last night I downloaded the app. I was quite surprised when on the first turn build, a land with only a town in it built a city, because I had convinced myself for some reason that only explorers built, which of course is not true. And yes, I have read the official FAQ common mistakes page, after my first game where I forgot to add fear for destroying buildings, and it is in there I just checked again. Guess I was playing on -1 difficulty the last few games…

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
I’ve been playing on the app a bunch. Starting to get real sick of the same events over and over. I think there’s like 20 events but it feels like I see the same 5 every game.

Speaking of which, even though I’ve seen it like 30 times I still don’t understand how Guard Them Yourself, For Well or Ill works. Why would I ever destroy presence instead of doing damage? Why does it prompt me to keep paying? I just skip it and do the other one…

Also, I do not get Serpent at all. Maybe because I play 95% of the time single board solo. Playing 2 handed just seems so tedious, even though finding opportunities for synergies seems like such a fundamental part of the game. Anyway, I’m pretty sure I’m a Keeper main now?

Elysium fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jan 5, 2024

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
I guess the part that was really confusing me is that you still have to pay even if you don’t care if it does damage because there is nothing there to do damage to, so in my mind it’s like “ok, sure, don’t do damage there and I won’t pay” but it’s prompting you to pay anyway (by design).

It’s just worded really weird. It should say “For each sacred site you have with invaders, pay 3 and do 2 damage, or destroy a presence.”

vvv You are right, but I still think the way it’s worded is super awkward.

Elysium fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jan 5, 2024

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
Pulled out my ipad to play on a flight, locked out of my subscription without internet :/

Great solo board game app Handelabra.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
Just played a game on the app, Guard the Isle’s Heart vs. BP6 as Keeper

My 2 free cards were Growth Through Sacrifice and Unlock the Gates of Deepest Power.

:getin:

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
I do not get Wildfire. Either I can’t do poo poo because there’s no blight to on the board to target, or I’m dead because doing literally anything results in a blight cascade that ends it.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
I’m playing on the app, so no rules issues. True solo so there really isn’t a blight buffer. Sometimes just flipping the blight card at all mid cascade runs me out of blight. To be fair I am stubbornly trying to beat the random scenario the game put me in (Blitz against England 4), but there’s just no middle ground it seems. I’m either careful with the blight and end up with pockets of lands I can’t do as much on and get overrun, or I’m liberal with the blight and just get annihilated the first time something bad happens.

I just realized in Blitz you get one less blight after flipping the card, which explains a lot of the instalosses.

I bumped it down to England 2 and won after like 10 tries. Hardest “difficulty 4” game ever.

Elysium fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Jan 31, 2024

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
I played a 3 spirit game with Wildfire. It was like cheatmode compared to true solo, having all that extra blight to work with.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
I haven’t played a lot of multiplayer but my advice is to encourage everyone to actually not try to work with other players too much, just take care of their own poo poo and of course offer help when they have cards that target another player. What makes a game really long is when you are constantly checking if its better for someone else if you do x or y, or if Z happens then next turn player 3 can help player 2, but if you can’t help this turn then player 5 can do q now, multiplied by 6 players…

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
I opened a random solo game with Keeper against France 3 on West Thematic, and I just don’t see how to win this. You start with 5 towns on the board, so if you can’t clear several towns and/or prevent multiple builds in the first 2 turns you just lose. If the initial build is Jungle and you don’t pick up a useful power the first turn, you start with 0 available towns to be placed next turn unless you spend all your energy on Towering Wrath to kill one town.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Jagged Earth coming to Steam on the 29th.

Live on iOS now

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
Settle in to Hunting Grounds is loving obnoxious in the app. Hope you like clicking 5-6 times what you want your presence to count as every. single. action. for the rest of the turn.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
Just played a game with Stone against England 5 and after it was done I had like a dozen blight on the board. I was curious what it would be like to play a second wave, and it just puts all that blight back on the blight card so you have like triple the amount of regular blight after the card flips.

Which made absolutely no difference and I got my face smashed in by consecutive half dozen blight cascades because I’m not actually good enough to beat England 5, Stone is just apparently some power creep bs

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
In my short experience it’s pretty simple. Step 1, put your presence where the invaders are. Step 2, profit.

It basically doesn’t matter what the invaders do, ravage wise, the blight doesn’t kill you or cascade and it’s from the box (if you meet the usually easy to meet requirements), and the more damage they do in the land the more gets reflected back on them. So as long as you steer clear of the other loss conditions, it’s just like “do whatever until eventually you can drop a few nukes on them.”

Vengeance on the other hand, seems like it could be powerful but takes very careful piloting to actually realize that power.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
I played my first game of Starlight, which was pretty interesting and different. I’m pretty sure I did everything correctly except for one thing, which was pretty much the crux of the entire game. So for quite a while I basically didn’t really DO anything, except gain cards and energy and occasionally defend. Then I unlocked the track which was play an extra card and use one card fast. So I played 3 cards, all of which were natively fast, Unlock the Gates of Deepest Power, Powerstorm, and some minor. So with thresholded gates I gained a slow major, with elements that thresholded powerstorm. I then powerstorm Gates, gain another slow major. After paying for both majors I was out of energy, but my question is, can I play one of those majors that I just gained fast, per my track, and if I were to powerstorm that major, would it be fast again?

During this process I also thresholded every single innate except one lol.

Elysium fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Mar 10, 2024

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
Continuing my first time solo playthrough of all the Spirits up through JE, I played Fractured and Shifting Memory the other day.

Fractured was not nearly as strange as I was expecting. The time mechanic was relatively straightforward and i didn’t even really end up spending that much time so after I acquired a few normal powers the game mostly played out like any other spirit, just with a bit more foresight. I suspect this could change in multi spirit games.

Shifting Memory was an interesting game mostly because after getting both Paralyzing Fright and Terrifying Nightmares and easily being able to threshold them both with the extra elements, it was like “well clearly this is happening,” this of course being a terror win from generating 14 fear almost every turn.

Only spirit left now is Finder, which must be incredibly odd to play solo, so maybe I will 2 hand that one.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
I love the scenarios. Well, some are more fun than others. I don’t really care for adversaries actually. I get that they are needed to increase difficulty, but I wish they were more like scenarios with the way they fundamentally change the game rather than just like “well now 3 towns fly out of their rear end” at THIS level.

Blitz is fun, playing second waves (or higher), Guard the Isles heart I find really fun to play with the jump start it gives you but it usually makes the game way easier. Ward the shores and dahan inurrection are both decent. I don’t care much for the two Rituals ones. Powers long forgotten is just super swingy.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
Doesn’t seem like any of the JE aspects are well regarded. F&F has a couple decent ones, but NI seems to be where the meat is for aspects.

Also lol how many times they’ve tried to make Shadows not suck.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003

Hellioning posted:

I have played Stone's Unyielding Defiance for the first time and have only one question: Who thought that was a good idea?

You mean how some spirits get absolutely hosed the moment some blight appears on the board, and then they were like “What it we make a spirit that can just take literally infinite blight and not give a poo poo?”

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
I typically click on the random 5-11 difficulty button, I mostly win around 5 and mostly lose at like 8 or higher. Today I decided to click the 14+ button:

I know the difficulty levels are pretty malleable and this is a good scenario for River, but this felt like a difficulty 5 game. Although, now that I think about it, I was one ravage away from dying when I pulled Irresistible Call to concentrate nearly everything into one land.

(And yes, I always play with full undo on, not so I can get information on a card draw or event and go back, but because I’m extremely likely to not even realize a power is unplayable or that it doesn’t even do what I thought it did or something stupid like that)

Elysium fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Apr 23, 2024

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003

StashAugustine posted:

Been playing quick play on the app which means I'm seeing some scenarios, and man Rituals of Terror sucks solo.

Feels like half the time I click the button it puts me in Rituals or Powers on the thematic map with no Dahan on it. Like, poo poo’s hard enough without literally starting the game with fewer Dahan then it takes to actually activate the scenario conditions.

I asked the developers about adding better “random” game creation options (like, never give me thematic maps) and they basically just said to use a third party randomizer and then create the game. I get that they are a tiny studio and they are fully focused on JE implementation, but it just seems like a few tiny tweaks to things that already basically exist in the game could make a big difference in the user experience. Hell, I would settle for a button that just regenerates a new random game without having to quit and go back to the main menu.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
loving nuts turn 2 with Solo Serpent:

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003

Fat Samurai posted:

Is there a decent storage solution already floating around?

Seems like everyone is obsessed with Tetrising into one giant box and I don’t really understand it. I built a little Foamcore insert for the base game box so it holds all the components to play a base game + Horizons spirits and expansion boards neatly and then the JE box easily holds all the other spirits through NI, expansion pieces and cards (a full set with the base mixed in) with just a few token containers to keep things neat. Since most of the time I play in real life it’s probably introducing the base game (+horizons), I only need the original box for that, then if I’m playing a full game I can open the other box and get what I need without digging everything out of a giant box to start.

I do really like the 3d printed inserts that follow the contours of the spirit boards though.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Are you separating out B&C and JE power cards from the deck after every playthrough?

No because Horizons comes with a complete set of base power cards. So in the base box I have the Horizons set, and in the JE box I have the mixed base+BC+JE+NI set. If I play a new player game I just take out the base cards, if I play with expansions I just leave that set in the box and play with the other set.

Fat Samurai posted:

In my case, I usually play at a store, and 1 box is easier to move than 2.

Unless I was literally only planning on carrying one box, in my hands, for some distance, it makes almost no difference to me. One box, two boxes? Same tote bag.

Elysium fucked around with this message at 15:02 on May 7, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
I find Many Minds to be a little strange. Like it’s powerful and versatile with all the movement, but playing it kind of feels like you don’t… do… anything. It’s just like ok here’s some defense and fear, now HERE’s some defense and fear, no wait HERE is some defense and fear. Oh look I stacked the whole fear deck. Well gg I guess.