Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
Shadows Flicker would be fine if its starter cards had more elements. As is, you are highly constrained in your opening rounds if you want to trigger your innate and you are entirely reliant on good drafts to ever trigger its higher tiers.

Two more elements spread between its starter cards would make it a lot more varied, fun, and powerful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Here is how I play Ligtning, which is whenever my brain fog is really bad but I still want to win while playing with friends.

Turn 1
Growth 2, Energy
No Powers
2 energy / turn

Turn 2
Growth 2, Plays
Lightning’s Boon, Shatter Homesteads, Harbingers of the Lightning, Thundering Destruction
Make Shatter Homesteads and Thundering Destruction fast to set up Dahan
2 energy / turn, 1 energy reserved

Turn 3
Growth 1, Minor Power
Lightning’s Boon, Shatter Homesteads, Harbingers of the Lightning, Thundering Destruction, Minor Power (optional, but only if they are 0 cost or trigger a higher threshold)

Turn 4+ Reclaim
Growth 1, Minor Power
Lightning’s Boon, Shatter Homesteads, Harbingers of the Lightning, Thundering Destruction, Minor Powers (optional, but only if they are 0 cost or trigger a higher threshold)

Turn 4+ Downtime
Growth 2, Energy to 3, Energy 4/Plays 5, Energy 5
Minor Powers
Don’t do this unless you have a relatively safe turn or useful minor powers.

Minor Power Drafting
Unless you have energy support from other spirits zero cost cards are almost always the best option. Try to get an elemental replacement for Lightning’s Boon if other spirits don’t need speed. Powers with new elements you don’t need can provide protection from negative events.

Note: This opening beat level 5 England on its first try solo. Wasn’t even particularly challenging.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

What helped me get better at Spirit Island was spending some time with a single spirit figuring out openings and then writing them down. I have a google doc with spirit openings and notes for high difficulty adversaries.

It is really hard to get better if you are struggling with the basics every time you play.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

1secondpersecond posted:

I play a lot of SI, usually around difficulty 5-7. Can anybody help me not hate BoDAN? I love spirits with serious tradeoffs, like Wildfire and Ocean, and special abilities that change the game completely, like Downpour. But I just don't get BoDAN.

There is a playtest variant from the developer available that makes Bodan feel a lot better. Otherwise I've only found one way to play BoDAN at higher difficulties with any degree of success.

E: This is from my Google doc. I've not tried it since the new, better variant. It is probably outdated, especially against newer adversaries.

Turn 1

Growth 4, Energy

Card Plays: Dreams of the Dahan, Predatory Nightmares

Drop presence at a location that will ravage next turn, gather up Dahan

2 energy reserved

Turn 2

Growth 4, Energy

Card Plays: Dread Apparitions, Call on Midnight’s Dreams

Draft a major power with cost 4 or less if 2 Dahan, 5 or less if 3+ Dahan.

Get a major with achievable elemental thresholds.

Turn 3

Growth 3, Energy, Minor Power (draft with innate or major in mind)

Card Plays: Major and Minor Power

Turn 4

Growth 1, Minor Power (draft with innate or major in mind)

Turn 5 or 6

Growth 2, Energy, Reclaim Major

Turn 5 or 6

Growth 3, Energy, Minor Power (draft with innate or major in mind)

Card Plays: Starters up to cost 2

If turn 6, Dreams and Dread can trigger Defense 4

Turn 7

Growth 2, Energy, Reclaim Major

Turn 8

Growth 1,

Note: Can replace any Growth 2 turn with Growth 3, drafting a new major to replace old major, discarded minor, or 2 cost starting card. Do this turn 5 if initial Major has elemental thresholds that are very difficult or impossible to reach.

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Apr 2, 2023

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Yeah, major powers aren't really worth the energy unless you can trigger thresholds. Sometimes things are going poorly and you have to go for an emergency major but there is a reason most spirits in the initial release wanted to advance the Plays track.

Newer spirits seem better designed in that regard.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Impermanent posted:

It's touch and go for a little while but Silent Mist has a really fun mid / endgame as a fear spirit

I've never found that spirit viable on high difficulties despite trying maybe a dozen times. Do you have advice?

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ragnar34 posted:

This is fascinating, thanks for saying something. It's amazing what that one little change could do.

I still stand by my assertion that Shadows Flicker would be a top tier spirit if you add an element to one of its starter cards. Being able to trigger innates without a lucky draft and having more options on the order you play powers early game would be huge.

The aspects are nice but element generation was the real problem with the core version.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

One you get good at the game up through 4 of any adversary should be beatable 100% of the time.

I find some spirits become unreliable and heavily dependent on the fear and event deck once you push difficulty 8.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Here is how I play Vital Strength of Earth and make amazingly good use of the innate:

Baseline Strategy for quick fear, damage, and build prevention.

Turn 1

Growth 3, Plays

Draw of the Fruitful Earth (3 energy reserve)

Turn 2

Growth 1, Plays

Draw of the Fruitful Earth, Rituals of Destruction, Gift of Strength (1 energy reserve)

Turn 3

Growth 1, Energy

Draw of the Fruitful Earth, Rituals of Destruction, Gift of Strength (0 energy reserve)

Turn 4

Growth 1, Energy

Draw of the Fruitful Earth, Rituals of Destruction, Gift of Strength (0 energy reserve)

Making a sacred site, turn 3+

Growth 2, Energy until 4/turn, Minor Power

Random Minor, Guard the Healing Land or A Year of Perfect Stillness

Only do this if you absolutely need the defense + blight removal or invader skip. Guard the Healing Land is only worthwhile if it prevents a blight cascade or allows Dahan to counterattack. A Year of Perfect Stillness is highly situational and usually worse than allowing a build or ravage and using the Ritual of Destruction Combo.

The goal is to draw of the fruitful earth twice to setup huge rituals of destructions and prevent builds.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Perry Mason Jar posted:

I really enjoy him, playing only base + B&C, but falling behind on blight can be such a big black eye that some games are a huge tightrope act.

I like this weakness due to how fast and powerful fangs is compared to other spirits. You either go big and win or pretty quickly spiral out of control. In multiplayer the spirit is incredible because you can very quickly deal with the invaders that aren't in blighted lands on your board and then start helping your allies in exchange for some help with your problem areas. It does a good job promoting teamwork much like Ocean or Lure.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

I got dire metamorphosis as the sun and I already loved that card before it was repeatable and didn't add blight.

Three times in one land means invaders are never getting back there again.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Poopy Palpy posted:

Agreed, this is a much worse offense than the picture of River playing a Lightning unique that even Lightning doesn’t play.

There is a major that lets you swap cards with another spirit.

That's probably not what happened.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ragnar34 posted:

I've been working my way through the new spirits, slowly, just one game each against Prussia 3 so I can try everyone out under basically ideal conditions. I saved the dog for last and I'm getting owned with it, which I expected.

With solo Deeps I have a suspicion that in many games your first three turns are all about sinking land #1 so you can reach #8 asap. This is more like base Oceans than I was hoping (game plan: pure bottom track, take control of #1, dig for nuke for the inland). It still feels like a cool aspect.

I feel like you'd need to make ocean's top track a lot less lovely if you wanted people to not spam minors. As is, its only purpose is to help a bit if you've been completely screwed drafting elements.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

I'm not sure I agree with the idea that higher complexity spirits are better. A properly played Lightning's Swift Strike just wrecks the board, and River is better than most medium complexity spirits in my experience.

What I've seen is that people rarely go back to easy spirits once they've mastered the basics, so their memory of them is much worse than they actually are.

I get pretty bad brainfog due to a medical condition, so I really appreciate being able to grab a low complexity spirit (other than pre-aspect shadow, obviously) and wreck face without making things worse for everyone else at the table by playing a spirit that is weak.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Jimmeeee posted:

Speaking of, has anyone tried the new aspect for Sharp Fangs? I always thought the no-Blight targeting limitation really shut them down and I’m interested to see how it compares.

It is powerful but being listed as the same complexity felt like a cruel joke.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Jimmeeee posted:

In the sense that it makes the Spirit way too easy?

I find non-aspect Sharp Fangs pretty easy and intuitive to play. The only reasons it could be considered medium complexity is its use of tokens and maybe its need to draft to deal with blight.

There are two new aspects. I played the one that was listed as the same complexity, the other one is supposed to be lower complexity.

You no longer can move presence and the targeting is really weird, you basically want beast tokens to circle around lands with invaders. I felt like I was constantly misplaying it because you do everything differently. Where you drop presence, making sure you have good coverage, where you want to move beasts, early game damage is way down, it is basically a new beast spirit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

the holy poopacy posted:

Base Fangs earns its complexity rating, sacrificing presence for beasts is a tough balancing act. Fangs has a lot of demanding targeting requirements, so maintaining enough presence where you need it is much trickier than it is for most spirits, especially since your primary movement is tied to your staple attack. It does get somewhat easier if you lean on top track and just mash the major power button though.

My impression is that the aspect requires more long term plannIng because you still need to sacrifice presence to get beasts but you can't move your presence around after their initial placement. It is very easy to move to wherever you need to go if you aren't using the new aspect.