Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I just discovered this game last weekend, and I'm hooked. The art, the evocative writing, the theme...all of it hits that special part of my brain. It's been a long time since a game hooked me this hard out the gate. The last one was X-Wing miniatures.

I've played three or four games so far, and my girlfriend is hooked too. Date nights have been game nights ever since.

I've bought everything except Horizons at this point. I opened Jagged Earth last night and the Trickster god is calling my name. "Overenthusiastic Arson" may be the best name for an ability I've seen in years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I've played five games in the base set now. I was lucky enough to have someone point out some of the most common mistakes and strategy rules for the base set.

Should I add just Branch & Claw or go all in with both it and Jagged Earth? I own them both already, and I've noticed that Jagged Earth contains all the rules for B&C.

Also, any advice for common mistakes and strategy with the expansions?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Phelddagrif posted:

I would include both; Branch and Claw is kind of a mini-expansion, with only two new spirits. Jagged Earth gives you a lot more options.

The biggest change the expansions add is events, which add a level of uncertainty. Sometimes you think you have just enough defend, only for the invaders to deal +1 damage this turn. On the flip side, sometimes the Dahan give you extra defense, saving a land you thought was lost. Events are kind of complicated and take some getting used to.

If you start with just B&C, be aware there's a rule change in Jagged Earth. Normally you draw and resolve an event at the start of each invader phase, but you skip that in the first round, to keep things from getting out of hand before you have a real chance to get settled.

The other big addition in the expansions is tokens, which are placed in lands and help the spirits in various ways. Preventing explores and builds, cancelling damage from ravaging, that sort of thing. Several of the new spirits interact with these tokens directly.

Thank you!

Not drawing on the first round sounds like a big change. Glad to know about it!

I'm all about more interesting tokens and events. Fear cards and their unpredictable effects on the board are always a fun shakeup. Pulling Scapegoats at the right time is just amazing.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

1secondpersecond posted:

It's worth hunting down the "promo packs", each of which contains two additional spirits. The first one contains my absolute favorite for its fast and dynamic playstyle: Heart of the Wildfire.

Aren’t those covered by the Feather and Flame box? Heart of the wildfire is definitely in that one.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I’m currently looking for a good tackle box to put this poo poo in myself. That’s what I usually do for big board games

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

ConfusedUs posted:

I’m currently looking for a good tackle box to put this poo poo in myself. That’s what I usually do for big board games

I just gave in and bought another Plano 1374. They’re pricey but they’re my go-to for large games.

I have room to add Horizons and another expansion or two if I want.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

For my next game, I want to play either Volcano Looming High or Shroud of Silent Mist. My partner will probably play Stone's Unyielding Defiance.

Which of those two works better with Stone? And any tips for playing any of those three?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Oh man, Stone and Volcano were a super combo. There was a mountain dead center in the board that let me affect all but a few lands. Stone went about, using its specials to draw blight from the box instead of the blight card while I simply murdered everything in sight.

It was easily our fastest win, in the fast power phase of turn 5.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Ragnar34 posted:

Volcano tip: the third growth ability is fantastic. I'm sure there's a good strategy that involves repeating growth 2 until you can wipe the whole island clean in one shot, possibly with two or more players, but I've never found it. I've had much more luck keeping it to occasional controlled eruptions of 2 pieces with maybe a 4-shot to end the game. It's the best way to take advantage of that sweet, sweet G3.

Stone is great. It's like Earth, except gently caress you.

I did Growth 2 on turn one and, uh, four? The rest were Growth 3 with one reclaim somewhere in there.

Growth 3 is awesome.

Explode 2 all day every day.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I got my first ever 10-presence eruption as Volcano last night.

It was a three player game, and I was struggling with a particular corner of my board. My teammates, Trickster and Ocean, couldn't easily reach that section either. It was very far from Trickster's spawn and too far inland for Ocean.

I kept digging for powers that let me reach it, but I was mostly unsuccessful. I quickly realized the only thing I could do was explode about it. So I started building presence.

That was one hell of a turn. I got off every level of both innate powers and five card plays.

End result:
12 dead explorers
8 destroyed towns
3 destroyed cities
at least 17 fear
And all but one blight

Only one city and three explorers were left on the entire island, and we finished off the city in the Fast phase next turn to win.

It's the most destruction I've ever caused in one turn, including when I triggered the threshold on Cast Down Into the Briny Deep.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I prefer to play with one adversary with their special loss condition, their escalation rule, and their first-tier ability. At this level I usually win, but it's rarely a blowout.

Anything more than that and I struggle. A lot. Less and I tend to simply win without it ever being in question.

My girlfriend usually plays with me and dislikes the adversaries at all; she likes destroying some colonizers. I complained a bit that it was too easy, and she said "yeah, they never had a chance, and that's how it should be." She's quite bloodthirsty.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Hey, OP, have you seen the fan-made Legacy system for Spirit Island?

It's quite something! https://old.reddit.com/r/spiritisland/comments/11t3bxm/homebrewed_spirit_island_legacy_system_new/

I love the idea of unlocking spirits and having some kind of continuity between games.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

My girlfriend and I play SI at least once a week. My favorite spirit is Ocean. Her favorite spirit is Lure.

They have absolutely no synergy, but it doesn't matter. Lure turns a couple lands into backwater Alabama, and the invaders vanish. Ocean smashes everything on the coasts. Nowhere is safe.

I want to play a game with Ocean + Lure + Volcano once, to add yet another layer of "the island itself hates you." In a four player game, I'd probably add Serpent to that mix.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Azran posted:

Given you clearly know your stuff I'll bow down to your expertise, I must be misremembering because it's been a hot minute since I got to play SI

Jagged Earth just gets you so much more stuff than B&C. It's twice the price, but it's at least 4x the content.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Tekopo posted:

I really want to try Ocean paired with Lure, but yeah, honestly I think pairing Lure with a pusher spirit like Finder or BoDaN makes the combo a lot stronger. I almost feel like Lure and Ocean almost compete in a way and aren't as strong together as people think. Do people have experience with pairing Lure/Ocean?

I posted this on the previous page

ConfusedUs posted:

My girlfriend and I play SI at least once a week. My favorite spirit is Ocean. Her favorite spirit is Lure.

They have absolutely no synergy, but it doesn't matter. Lure turns a couple lands into backwater Alabama, and the invaders vanish. Ocean smashes everything on the coasts. Nowhere is safe.

I want to play a game with Ocean + Lure + Volcano once, to add yet another layer of "the island itself hates you." In a four player game, I'd probably add Serpent to that mix.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Best ending I ever had: Two players, each playing two spirits.

Other player chased most of the remaining invaders into one board with their spirits. Lots and lots of pushing.

One of my spirits raised a whole new island segment. The other then sank the one containing the remaining invaders.

Earned us a Fear 3 victory.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Tekopo posted:

Gotta be my boys Lure of the Deep Wilderness and Volcano Looming High.

Add Ocean to this and you've got my list of favorite spirits.

I think I like the ones that are limited to certain areas of the board, because it increases the puzzle aspect of the game. How DO I deal with that problem that's outside my domain?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Toshimo posted:

I would not say they are my favorite spirit, but there's definitely some charm in rolling around the board with Thunderspeaker chilling with the homies and mercing dudes.

I love it when a teammate plays Thunderspeaker, because almost everything can be about helping their army in some fashion. Cards that aren't quite worth it become worth it if they have anything defense- or Dahan-related at all. Which is a LOT of them.

Oh you need more dudes? Defend some dudes? Boost damage of the dudes? Dude. I'm in.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Introduced two people to SI over the past two nights. Not as painful as expected for the teach but base + B&C is plenty enough rules, can't blame them feeling a bit overwhelmed. I included everything except an Adversary.

I'm happy I played sooo many games before attempting a proper teach. Never needing to reference the rulebook while answering questions, not second-guessing... that's the good stuff. Kept the game moving and considering the the 4p game went for like 3 hours that was pretty critical.

One player played Vital Strength over two games, one played BoDaN in her first ever game, and my brother spammed Ocean's. BoDaN wasn't too overwhelming but I had to gently remind about the Special Rule a handful of times. I also missed that Ocean's energy changes with player count and so did my brother, so he was stupid fat for no good reason. Doesn't really matter, it shouldn't be possible to lose a Difficulty 0 at all.

The new players really, really liked the particular spirits they chose so they were having a blast. My worries that the game would be too weighty were founded... but that that would turn people off entirely were not. Good success. Sounds like they're going to buy it for themselves to play with their own friends back home! :sickos:

Yeah, I've found that playing without an adversary but with the B&C tokens makes for a solid teaching game.

When teaching, the biggest problem I've found is that some players tend to want to save the Dahan at any cost. They'll spend all their money moving them around away from invaders and doing nothing to stop said invaders.

Those people inevitably play as Thunderspeaker or maybe Eyes once the learn the rules.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Perry Mason Jar posted:

You reminded me that ravaging has been consistently the hardest thing for new players to grok in my game.

They expect that: Dahan provide defense to the land, Dahan attack is simultaneous to invader attack. This is reasonable and I had the same type of issue.

Strongly recommend - what I figured out I needed to do - not fast-forwarding through removing Dahan/invader pieces and taking it step by step. "Invaders attack land -> Invaders attack Dahan -> Dahan fight back" Call out each step and assign damage as you're meant to (flip Dahan, invaders; specifically call out that invaders distribute damage as efficiently as possible) so that it sticks.

"Dahan are not ablative armor" is a phrase I've said way, way too many times!

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Any idea when NI will be available for non-backers? I found this game well after the kickstarter had closed.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Poopy Palpy posted:

In the lore, when the Dahan showed up they did blight the land, but not on the industrial scale of the Invaders. The spirits fought back and the Dahan learned not to piss them off in the First Reckoning. There was a Second Reckoning that we don't know much about except that Grinning Trickster Stirs Up Trouble set it off "by telling the absolute truth in the worst manner possible" and that the Dahan don't think of the spirits as gods afterwards. Sounds to me like they learned how to kill spirits.

Grinning Trickster is my favorite spirit, lore-wise.

He has my favorite card in the game: Overenthusiastic Arson.

He's my third favorite terms of gameplay, behind Many Minds (swooping about causing havoc) and Ocean (drowning fools).

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Impermanent posted:

it's like how people use the word spoilers to refer to full card lists from upcoming mtg sets. it just means all the details of the new stuff, down to photos of the cards etc.

I've played a game with wandering voice keens delirium and ember eyed behemoth now and wow they're both very fun. wandering voice hits a lot of really good notes that shroud does for me but in a very different way.

I really want to see the complete bullshit that the incarna spirits can get up to when paired with Finder, too.

Finder enables complete bullshit with EVERYONE. The little bird is my favorite spirit to play in big games because it's all about "what do YOU need this turn?"

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Plano 3700 is always the answer to board game storage

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Everything released thus far, with one exception, fits into a Plano 3700. That’s my go to storage for big games.

The only exception is the big custom adversary board.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Fellis posted:

Are you talking about just the bits and then putting the boards in the box? I want a one box solution that holds everything, not have several disconnected bins

I'm sorry. The Plano 3700 is the model of the individual trays. The actual large tackle box I use is the Plano 137401.
https://www.amazon.com/Plano-1374-R...86589011&sr=8-9

I have base game and all expansions in there with plenty of room to space. I still have an entire tray empty for future tokens/cards, and the top can hold 5-10 more spirit boards easily.

Honestly, I'll probably run out of space for spirit boards before anything else. I probably couldn't fit another Jagged Earth-sized expansion of spirits unless I splurged on the thin foil spirit boards to save some space.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Fellis posted:

No worries! I figured there was a piece of missing info when I googled it. I bet you could cut away the inner plastic walls of one of the container planos and stick a good few spirit boards in there as well.

Oh, absolutely.

There also may be a tray that just doesn't have built-in pieces, or has fewer built-in pieces, to make it easier.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Finder or Green are always welcome. The former for letting the others reach weird places and the latter for accelerating growth.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

For me it’s Briny Deeps.

Any time I hit the point where poo poo has gone south too badly, I stop caring if I win and only care that the invaders lose.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

tokenbrownguy posted:

scorched earth hell yeah

anyone have a storage solution that actually works? I'm pretty over the inserts and their lovely card holders. might just rip everything out and go to magic-style card cardboard boxes.

I have everything EXCEPT the optional, fancy invader board. It all fits in a Plano 1374 tackle box. That's my go-to for large games. I own a few of them.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Many years ago, I had friends who were big into boardgames and had started making organizers for their board games. I remember talking to them about how excited they were to be working with a guy from broken token. They were creating designs, and he was going to handle distributing them, and there was to be a profit sharing agreement.

Several months later, the were very unhappy. It turns out that the guy from broken token shows took their design and slapped his logo on it, and was selling it, and never paid them when he had agreed to pay them. They had received some tiny insignificant amount after hounding him for months.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Volcano owns. Especially if you focus on small eruptions instead of saving up for the big one.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Arzaac posted:

Anyways the 4th spirit we had was Dances Up Earthquakes. I can't really comment on the power of that one because none of us really know how to play it well, but it seems like it could be very powerful in the right hands.

Dances is incredibly powerful. Draft as many Major powers as you can. Play them so that they all go off at the same time. Stall until then, you're good at it.

DUE is way better at the "one good turn" playstyle than Volcano because of how flexible that one turn is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

For Horizons spirits, I really love Mud. I can’t even tell you why. He’s just fun.