Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blindidiotgod
Jan 9, 2005

A friend has Spirit Island and it's a blast up to like six or seven players. The different flavours of invaders are bastards and can really ratchet up the complexity and difficulty of the game.

Personal favs are Sharp Fangs Behind Leaves, Shroud of Silent Mist and a special mention to Heart of the Wildfire.
Fangs I love for a strong opening strength and lots of explorer shoving potential. Having my beasts eat invaders and drive them off their building lands allows unprecedented control in the early game. Fangs might not be a late powerhouse, but doesn't have to be if you get on top of your board early.

Shroud is such an interesting prospect, keeping invaders wounded and generating buckets of free fear while doing so. The shrine movement/reach ability is unique and golly do not play this spirit over beers but being able to drag your shrines around is powerful. Generating 5 fear for free per turn and clogging your whole board with a quieting, choking mist is thematic and fun when you then wipe all the cities off in a single turn for big fear turns.

Heart of the Wildfire has a special mention because with that spirit we've technically succeeded in driving the invaders off, but I'd blighted the land so badly we had negative points.

Fear victories from Bringer of Dreams and Nightmares is gratifying if you have a fast spirit helper, and I have had a loving terrible game as Oceans Hungry Grasp. So bad I'll never try it again, but love it when someone else plays it.

Spirit Island is a good game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blindidiotgod
Jan 9, 2005

Played a game of Spirit Island with the newest entry-level spirits and we bumped the difficulty down after getting our asses handed to us and causing a new player to burst out crying at it all.

I took Eyes Watch From the Trees, a defender/fear spirit that draws in Dahan when you add defence to a land. It's a fun little engine, and we went up against the Hasbergs. I got on top of my board early on by defending up constantly,. drawing in Dahan, who in turn pummel the invaders to bits. It was nice dunking on the game after having a rough run of games.

blindidiotgod
Jan 9, 2005

Played a game over the weekend where we went up against Hapsburg Miners at something trivial like level 2, and I piloted the new Ember-eyed Behemoth.
The behemoth incarna just stomps around the place doing incredible damage and generating a bit of fear. Had one nasty blight cascade but kept it under wraps after that.

Next time I plan on playing the new fear spirit or Shroud with the new aspect.