Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Mr. Grapes! posted:

Does everyone play with the "Eurogame" side of the board? We exclusively play on the "realistic" looking side.

To us it's a lot more interesting, thematic, and provides more varied challenge. It also just looks cool. I also like how it starts with diseases and animals in certain places, etc.

It seems like everyone is doing the opposite, though.

I play on the thematic map occasionally for a bit of variety (11/59 games I have recorded, apparently). I feel like the scenarios probably do a better job of mixing things up, if that's what you're after.

Wallet fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Feb 17, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

I keep a spreadsheet to record my games and try to play all of the spirits more or less evenly, and I honestly like all of them.

The only real misses for me are Vital Strength of the Earth's aspects, both of which seem lovely.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

the holy poopacy posted:

Really? The one that gives you extra cards and plays and damage is fun as hell.

My experience is that it mostly makes him more powerful late in the game which is when he's powerful anyway because of his energy generation.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Just got Incarnate in the mail which was a nice surprise (I didn't see a shipping notification). I didn't really follow what was going to be in it, but I'm surprised by how few major/minor powers there are and just how many aspects were added.

Ojetor posted:

The spirit board stack is now over 3 inches tall. The two-box dream is imperiled.

e: Just barely managed to fit all expansion content in the JE box. It's beautiful. The densest I've ever packed a board game box without lid lift, something like 95% of the box's volume is solidly occupied.

I got the foil panels for the new spirits with my Incarnate order to see how they were; I'm not really a fan of the foiling, but I just ordered the rest of them anyway for the massive space savings.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Been messing around trying out the new spirits and aspects—only disappointment so far has been a game with Lure of the Deep Wildness using Lair and Wandering Voice Keens Delirium vs Habsburg Monarchy level 4. Lair was a lot of fun, but Delirium felt like purestrain durdle. I'm sure mediocre power draws didn't help and maybe I'm missing something, but yikes. It seems like the abduction innate would be a good fear generation engine on low difficulty games but it really falls apart against adversaries that dump a lot of invaders on the board.

Wallet fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Jul 7, 2023

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

I was apparently half asleep this morning and conflated two spirits/games, but yeah—Darkness's abduction mechanic felt pretty mediocre with reasonably high level adversaries, though I felt like the spirit played okay anyway.

Delirium felt like a whole lot of pushing invaders/strife around the board with very little payoff. Mind-Shattering song is okay, but doesn't really make up for proximity to its incarna keeping Dahan out of the fight. Without Dahan fighting back, Strife is mostly just an extremely inefficient way to skip actions. There's a few majors that could pay it off, but if you don't draw them :shrug:. I'll have to give it another game.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Ragnar34 posted:

They both look like my kind of thing but we'll see. What was the adversary?

Habsburg Monarchy 4. Might be better against Russia or something.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Got a game in over the weekend as Dances up Earthquakes and had a lot of fun. I thought it might be fussy but it feels a lot less complicated in practice than the other Very High complexity spirits unless you want to go extremely deep on how you sequence powers. I can see it turning into one of my favorites.

Also replaced my storage because I couldn't get everything in my original solution without it being a mess. A bit sloppy and kind of a pain in the rear end, but at least it holds all the stuff with room to spare for whatever bits and bobs Eric adds next time.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Ragnar34 posted:

Relentless gaze of the sun, though. Sounds good. I'm looking forward to comparing sun and downpour, though downpour is strong enough that I expect to be just a little disappointed at first.

Downpour plays quite differently. Relentless has much better energy generation but also has to pay more for repeats so you're incentivized to duplicate more expensive cards a lower number of times (or duplicate multiple cards once each, etc). I don't think you'll be dissapointed.

Ragnar34 posted:

T1 city sounds tasty as hell though. Wants support? Interesting, kind of like shroud, but Shroud likes everyone anyway.

I didn't feel like Relentless needed much support the game I played, but I don't think I used the double energy gain more than once over the course of the game so I didn't have any issues getting new cards.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Impermanent posted:

one thing about solo is that you can just get crunked by a bad couple of draws in a row. So some losses are going to happen. Are you giving yourself the extra starting blight? You should always start with 3 per player on the blight card, not two. This is errata from more recent printings, and it makes the biggest difference in single player games.

As far as I know the Errata is 2 per player +1, not 3 per player. It's in the Nature Incarnate rulebook, as well as newer printings of the base game.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

misguided rage posted:

Both of them have special rules which seem written to gently caress over Ocean in particular. Habsburgs are especially annoying because often you still get to kill the town (if there's a coast with a blight on it) but you lose out on the energy from drowning it. At least with Russia you get some extra fear. Scotland also makes things harder for Ocean although in practice I haven't found that one too bad.

To be fair I feel like most spirits have an adversary or two that they are poo poo against, particularly at high levels. Spirits that can't destroy towns are going to inherently get poo poo on by France, etc.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

kvx687 posted:

I picked up the online version in the Steam summer sale and have put in a few hours so far, it's been a bit rough but I feel like I'm learning.I do have one question, though- how do I adjust to the event deck? It feels like a lot of the positive events are pretty undertuned and rely on having beasts/Dahan in the same zone as invaders, which at least for the game I've played so far wasn't really happening much, and the negative parts were pretty severe- getting the missionaries card twice in four turns was not great, to put it mildly.

It kind of feels like you're comparing the top half of event cards (the major effects) to the bottom half, thinking the bottom is positive and the top is negative, which isn't really the case. A lot of the event effects are extremely situational, and may blow you out one game and do nothing in the next. There are also a number of choice events that are spectacularly powerful if you can take advantage of them.

The disease/Dahan/beast effects on the bottom have their own balance based on the kind of token they interact with—disease is sometimes in your favor and sometimes not, Dahan are mostly in your favor but their positive effects are often irrelevant, and beasts are pretty much always in your favor (which makes sense given beast tokens don't do anything inherently).

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Arzaac posted:

Incidentally, does anyone have opinions on the Horizon spirits? I'm sure they're fine, but I pass over them every time in favor of a more complicated and interesting spirit from Jagged Earth or Nature Incarnate.

They're all kind of boring if you've played the game with more complicated spirits :shrug:

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Screaming_Gremlin posted:

On the storage front, I way overpaid to get some custom 3D printed thing shipped to me from Etsy. It lets me combine everything, including premium components and Horizon spirits, into the base box and NI. I actually use JE as the second box, but that is because it gives me room to dump all the instruction books as well in case I need them for whatever reason.

The inserts that fit perfectly around the island boards are a work of art.

I ended up just making some quick/dirty boxes for mine. I thought about putting everything in a single box but the size required was a bit silly, and I wanted enough extra room to deal with whatever gets added after NI. I made some smaller segmented versions of the fear/invader board etc at the same time, as well.

The thinner spirit panels save a ton of room even though I don't like them quite as much.

Wallet fucked around with this message at 22:36 on May 8, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Toshimo posted:

The thin Horizons-style spirit panels are miles better than the thick cardboard ones. The perfect panels would be the thick cardboard ones with indents for the presence markers, though.

They would be miles better if they didn't have the lovely foiling on them.