Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Thanksgiving or turkey day as I like to call it is just around the corner. I thought it'd be good to get a thread going where we can all share advice for arguing with our family members.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

snopes

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

go Lions

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

wear a mask while eating dinner

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china
cross your arms into an X during grace and then whisper wakanda forever when everyone says amen

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
just talk about how much you both hate the Dems

speng31b
May 8, 2010

insist on white elephant gift exchange with strict cap of $25 gifts, then put in a gift that clearly doubles or triples the cost cap but insist you got it on sale

e: drat i skipped ahead to christmas

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Haven't had Thanksgiving with anyone besides immediate family since 2016 lol, and we all agree on politics in broad strokes. And my wife's parents live overseas so they don't care about US politics much less celebrate Thanksgiving

Also

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

Remember that they still love you, even if your politics disagree. Use this to own them by saying "I no longer love you. Because our politics disagree."

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

This is a good one because everyone on the table will just laugh at you.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Thanksgiving or turkey day as I like to call it is just around the corner. I thought it'd be good to get a thread going where we can all share advice for arguing with our family members.

tell them about all the worthless low-effort threads you've posted in C-SPAM this year

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
thanksgiving dinner arguments in the brutalist mcdonalds household is my liberal father arguing with my conservative uncle that california being really expensive is actually a good thing because it means it's a desirable place to live because of democrat policies

:shepicide:

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
we just talk about how cool brazil nuts were before LIBERALS ruined them

it's homely old fashioned fun for the whole family, even the kids can get in on the roasting of libs

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
god bless hillary clinton for making turkey day fun again and bring everyone together

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
what are we giving thanks to this year?

me, sitting quietly, "thank you president xi for expanding strategic nuclear deterrent" :pray:

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
here's a tip: bring some calipers for thanksgiving so you can measure the turkey. really a good opener for some ol' family friendly phrenology fun

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

bring tacos

nobody ever argues over tacos

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

me, sitting quietly, "thank you president xi for expanding strategic nuclear deterrent" :pray:

im giving thanks to joe brandon for getting rid of covid and keeping gas prices low

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
some topic starters: too many welfare queens driving up the price of thanksgiving, its because we defunded the cops

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

say loudly "if they always pardon a turkey, why not pardon donald trump?"

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

Be sure to print out lots of funny + relevant dril tweets from 2013 to own your grandma with in the event that she doubles down or tries to “post through it” when called out

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
don't go

USS Liberty
Nov 9, 2022

by vyelkin
I show dad my new glock and he shows me his new glock then we eat in silence and watch football

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

TheSlutPit posted:

Be sure to print out lots of funny + relevant dril tweets from 2013 to own your grandma with in the event that she doubles down or tries to “post through it” when called out

grandma's printer uses serial port which macbooks dont have so be sure to carry your own printer and print it during carving

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Xaris posted:

we just talk about how cool brazil nuts were before LIBERALS ruined them

it's homely old fashioned fun for the whole family, even the kids can get in on the roasting of libs

I don't know how much longer Brazil nuts will be available, Lula's hopefully going to stop the deforestation of the Amazon basin for as long as he can survive the inevitable CIA plots

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

Note that “lol. lmao” isn’t something that translates very well to in person conversation. Be sure to spend some time in the mirror practicing various laughing styles, so your family knows you’re actually laughing in an ironic jokerpilled way when they start talking about how your uncle lost his job at the factory due to permanent covid damage.

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

Be aware of generational differences in world view! For example you may be in the habit of downplaying your 6 figure wfh computer job at the local dsa meetings, but older Americans see this as an indicator of maturity and responsible living. Be sure to bring it up as much as possible at the table.

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

Filthy Hans posted:

tell them about all the worthless low-effort threads you've posted in C-SPAM this year

Please do.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Filthy Hans posted:

I don't know how much longer Brazil nuts will be available, Lula's hopefully going to stop the deforestation of the Amazon basin for as long as he can survive the inevitable CIA plots
liberals have gone too far. first they took away their proper name and get all woke and PC about them and we can no longer call them n***** toes, and now they take them away for good???

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

I'd like to buy some Brazil nuts

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

speng31b posted:

insist on white elephant gift exchange with strict cap of $25 gifts, then put in a gift that clearly doubles or triples the cost cap but insist you got it on sale

this is chaotic evil

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
pro-tip when your relatives start mumbling about how the big elite gays are forcing the children to trans against their will so they can be groomed and it ain't right that kids are being lied to about gender, just nod your head and say 'mhmm yes grandma wow that's bad' and stuff your face with turkey until you get into a food coma

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

the rule is if you cook something really good and get compliments you can Start poo poo

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

one holodomor explanation per compliment

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

Set clear boundaries and expectations before the holiday. Sometimes people just don't know what topics are on or off limits, and most of the time, the people who love you probably don't want to make you anxious, sad, or angry during the few times they get to see you per year.

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

NeatHeteroDude posted:

Set clear boundaries and expectations before the holiday. Sometimes people just don't know what topics are on or off limits, and most of the time, the people who love you probably don't want to make you anxious, sad, or angry during the few times they get to see you per year.

What if I want to make them anxious, sad and angry about all the politics stuff I’ve been learning?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/dril/status/213849618415484929?lang=en

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

TheSlutPit posted:

What if I want to make them anxious, sad and angry about all the politics stuff I’ve been learning?

That's a good question. You should consider stepping outside yourself and tabling your politics for literally less than 12 hours. It almost doesn't matter what the conflict is- you should consider that everybody just wants to feel like it was back when you were kids and everybody had a different relationship. Consider the pain your estranged family feels and go from there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Try changing your opinions to match theirs.