Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

americans keep exporting garbage holidays like Halloween and Valentine's Day. that's bullshit. give me turkey

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
some family members are blessing god for thanksgiving, while i'm thanking china for being the only major country on earth that doesn't submit to and isn't influenced by any religious ideology, nor count on the religious base for the construction of political legitimacy and popularity

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

NeatHeteroDude posted:

Set clear boundaries and expectations before the holiday. Sometimes people just don't know what topics are on or off limits, and most of the time, the people who love you probably don't want to make you anxious, sad, or angry during the few times they get to see you per year.

That's a good idea. This year I'm only discussing the Taliban owning us in a war.

GIRL BRAINS
Sep 5, 2011

The gods are small birds
I normally don't discuss politics at family gatherings but if my father wants to step to me I have no qualms about putting that old man in a box(verbal)

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I plan on finding out who the democrats should run in 2024

BUSH 2112
Sep 17, 2012

I lie awake, staring out at the bleakness of Megadon.
i just realized that this will be the first year since i was 14 that my cousin and i won't get to have our weird thanksgiving ritual of eating way too much and then attempting to beat Megaman X4 in one sitting (and failing to do so)

and i have to cook

and i'm in loving Louisiana

god gently caress you op

jk ("just kidding")

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

You gotta find something everybody can have a light laugh at, like my family is in NY so I'll probably say "did you all remember to vote for CUOMO??" because he wasn't on the ballot, because of sex crimes, so everyone will know I'm just kidding

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

I keep a gun tucked in my waistband that I will flash at my uncle several times during the course of the meal every time he tries to bring up current events

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Print out the covid thread and read it out loud at the dinner table

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

You gotta find something everybody can have a light laugh at, like my family is in NY so I'll probably say "did you all remember to vote for CUOMO??" because he wasn't on the ballot, because of sex crimes, so everyone will know I'm just kidding

something somethig lying whores, no charges, should never have stepped down

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

Five boomer relatives scrolling through tik toc at full volume

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

something somethig lying whores, no charges, should never have stepped down

i don't have any uncles so I don't have to worry about this

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

Dad got shot over an argument over viewing tik tok during family time. He's dead

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

SorePotato posted:

Dad got shot over an argument over viewing tik tok during family time. He's dead

too bad all the EMTs quit over the last two years. we are chilling his body in the snow bank outside until they get around to picking him up

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

try to remember the basics of CQC

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

wonder if there were any weirdos who had leftist parents. all the M-Ls at Thanksgiving talking poo poo to the anarchist uncle or w/e

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

In Training posted:

wonder if there were any weirdos who had leftist parents. all the M-Ls at Thanksgiving talking poo poo to the anarchist uncle or w/e

I smell a sitcom!

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

I knew some folks that had leftist parents, grew up in a small town in the middle of nowhere in the olympic peninsula and raised by hardcore wobblies. The hustle and bustle of the big city wasn't for them and now they live on a remote island in southern Alaska

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
for extra fun, every five minutes remind everybody that the Pilgrims committed genocide against the indigenous peoples of the Americas

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

vyelkin posted:

for extra fun, every five minutes remind everybody that the Pilgrims committed genocide against the indigenous peoples of the Americas

Saying "Love to celebrate the worst genocide in history, which our country gladly participated in" for the 10th time as my uncle (convicted for a sex crime in the 90s) reaches for a heavy, blunt object to swing at my head

Koishi Komeiji
Mar 30, 2003

Just don't talk to your family. You don't have to say anything just glare at them. If it feels awkward drink more alcohol, simple as

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

In Training posted:

If I become a parent im going to become the most reactionary kind so that my kids end up being annoying DSA types.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

"This Whole Thing Smacks Of Colonialism," i holler as i overturn my uncle's big green egg

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

vyelkin posted:

I've gotten some great mileage out of "The only difference between the Pilgrims and the Nazis is that the Nazis failed."

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

explaining to your family that the founding fathers were rapists and murderers

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

Connecting the American colonies to what Israel is doing in gaza

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

try to remember the basics of CQC

always check your corners, rookie

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

record yourself farting and play the farts every time your mom asks you how college is going

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
If someone argues with you just gently caress the turkey to establish dominance

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I'm glad they gave up on making that Eli Roth Thanksgiving grindhouse movie, it never would have lived up to the trailer

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Thanksgiving or turkey day as I like to call it is just around the corner. I thought it'd be good to get a thread going where we can all share advice for arguing with our family members.

Every time someone disagrees with you strip off an item of clothing. Every time. Once naked if they continue to argue with you proceed to stand up and loudly jerk off into their food. Really use your lungs with the grunting. Accuse them of being close minded and immature. If they either leave or bodily throw you outside then proudly exclaim your victory and intellectual superiority.

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

im gonna put the turkey in a big trash bag and sous vide it in the bathtub

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

try moving abroad and not having thansgiving with your family, but hosting a small thanksgiving dinner with some close friends in your new country

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

Gleichheit soll gedeihen
does anyone have parents/family who are very bad at cooking but insist on cooking anyway and nobody has the heart to tell them? my family has always been good at cooking food but it's such a common media trope I wonder how often it actually happens with real people. that seems worse than any politics poo poo.

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

fart simpson posted:

try moving abroad and not having thansgiving with your family, but hosting a small thanksgiving dinner with some close friends in your new country

Would love to be a rich white woman in a Hallmark movie

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Cuttlefush posted:

does anyone have parents/family who are very bad at cooking but insist on cooking anyway and nobody has the heart to tell them? my family has always been good at cooking food but it's such a common media trope I wonder how often it actually happens with real people. that seems worse than any politics poo poo.

yeah, it's called living in the Freaking midwest

Koishi Komeiji
Mar 30, 2003

Cuttlefush posted:

does anyone have parents/family who are very bad at cooking but insist on cooking anyway and nobody has the heart to tell them?

It's very common because most people's cooking sucks rear end and it's a social taboo to say anything negative. So everyone is like "Oh this is sooooo good Karen hahaha. I didn't know you were a chef hahahah."

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

Gleichheit soll gedeihen
grim

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

i say swears online posted:

the rule is if you cook something really good and get compliments you can Start poo poo

Alternatively host Thanksgiving and cook for everyone. That way if anyone says anything you don’t like you can just take their plate of food away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

we're doing friendsgiving with my wife's very leftleaning buddies. any tips for alienating them?