Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

EorayMel posted:

Why do goons care so much about elon musk and twitter

I don't know if you've noticed but a huge part of this website is just commenting on Tweets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

EorayMel posted:

Can't speak for others, but I think it's funny watching the world's richest man continually, publicly shooting himself in the foot with a machine gun.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

Earwicker posted:

i made an account on mastodon and have been poking around a bit. kind of hard to get into it as it feels like almost everyone on there is in tech and i am not (i joined the "rave" server for electronic music fans because it was the most interesting seeming one on the main landing page) and its like the exact opposite of what twitter is right now, like its designed for people who took the idea of "netiquette" extremely seriously

Lmao that sounds like a loving nightmare

busalover
Sep 12, 2020

Earwicker posted:

i made an account on mastodon and have been poking around a bit. kind of hard to get into it as it feels like almost everyone on there is in tech and i am not (i joined the "rave" server for electronic music fans because it was the most interesting seeming one on the main landing page) and its like the exact opposite of what twitter is right now, like its designed for people who took the idea of "netiquette" extremely seriously

It's like Usenet before the unwashed masses invaded it. Gives me 90s vibes. Also I don't really care about that type of social media. I like SA because conversations are centered around a topic, not someone's comment. It's less ego-driven by design, I think.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

busalover posted:

It's less ego-driven by design, I think.

The ego-driven part is the corrupt and unhibged moderators

GundamHealer
Jul 23, 2022

Earwicker posted:

Lmao, Linux distro rear end social network

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

mastodon is exactly like twitter except you pick a neighborhood when you sign up, and if you don't care you can just sign up on the default huge one (mastodon.social). it's not the actual user experience that's complicated, it's how the servers federate behind the scenes that's complicated, but that's a problem for admins not users (unless you sign up on a hate server and find yourself blocked from the rest of the network)

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Bulletin board system updated with post-it notes networked with sneaker-net.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Caesar Saladin posted:

sadly nothing will replace twitter because despite him being very annoying, the general use experience will probably remain the same

Twitter is poisoned. Key people are gone, the ones that remain won’t give a poo poo. i predict Elon will continue to move fast and break things which wont help.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

i think my posts are just brutally stupid enough to replace the entirety of twitter

for 10 dollars you csn call me any slur you want

need a straw man to use for your political enemies? holla.

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast
you're an absolute t word and i aint paying you poo poo

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD posted:

i think my posts are just brutally stupid enough to replace the entirety of twitter

We talkin' $10 per slur, a monthly subscription model, or is this a one time payment for life access thing?

Also how much for access to the premium slurs? You know the ones. The really good ones.

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
mIRC will rise again

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Revins posted:

mIRC will rise again

#nanog

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
Nextdoor, we will all choose one American suburb and pretend we live there

Or go back to second life, w-hat reinvades baku

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

gently caress, better go dig up my ICQ number...

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I never really got into ICQ. I knew a guy with a low 5 digit number who spent most of his day on it.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD posted:

How much for an n-word pass. I think it would make a nice Christmas gift for my mother.

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
I'm on ICQ. I see Q, I eat it!

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

EorayMel posted:

Because this might be the most high profile case of The Internet Making Someone Stupid in all of human history.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
And drat what a case it is. To give a start literal narcissistic children have taken much long burn down their communities when given the keys. It's usually a process that takes months if not years for this to happen.
With Musk, it's barely been THREE WEEKS.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

The "Post five words in here" GBS thread. Way fewer words per post (maximum) than Twitter so much better! (Also not owned and run by a boy who throws tantrums and breaks all his toys.)

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Bad Purchase posted:

mastodon is exactly like twitter except you pick a neighborhood when you sign up, and if you don't care you can just sign up on the default huge one (mastodon.social). it's not the actual user experience that's complicated

this is a very tech oriented view of things. the "user experience" in terms of like, navigating the website and using it's basic functions is basically the same yes. but the experience in terms of the actual culture of the place, what people discuss and how, is very different.

i use twitter to keep track of news at various levels, and to laugh at shitposts, and to network with other musicians and audiofiction people.

so far i've found very little of that kind of stuff on mastodon. most of the content seems to be people just earnestly describing their own hobbies, or talking about how great mastodon is, or writing long posts on how people should behave in an online community, and that's... pretty much it. i'm just getting started and figuring out how to search for relevant stuff but so far there's just not much of what i use social media for.

if it grows more popular im sure various official news sources and so on will migrate over, but what it sees to be really lacking right now is a sense of humor and chaos. i undertand the impetus behind trying to build some sort of rear end in a top hat-free twitter but i feel like something is being lost in that process

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Nov 16, 2022

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

^ i was responding to the people who "can't figure it out, it's so complicated". what you're describing is content and culture, which of course is different because mastodon is not the defacto site for the type of content you're describing -- twitter is. that could change if people migrate elsewhere, and the same is true for any of the other alternatives.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Bad Purchase posted:

^ i was responding to the people who "can't figure it out, it's so complicated". what you're describing is content and culture, which of course is different because mastodon is not the defacto site for the type of content you're describing -- twitter is. that could change if people migrate elsewhere, and the same is true for any of the other alternatives.

i dont know i kind of feel like the tone established in the early days of a community is what sticks, and twitter was both funny and chaotic from the early days. i mean like just the weird feuds that would happen involving various celebs or politicians, the success of posters like wint, the frequent "main characters" etc.

i just get the feeling that a lot of the stuff that made twitter so successful in terms of attracting a large userbase is sort of Frowned Upon in most of mastodon, and that the current attitudes there will make it unlikely for that kind of culture to migrate over

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

early twitter was people posting what they had for lunch, it was very very boring in 2006

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

PizzaProwler posted:

How much for an n-word pass. I think it would make a nice Christmas gift for my mother.

ask jeffrey

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
I joined a Mastadon server where people mainly talk about Linux distros, weed, cats, and make dumb meta shitposts about other mastodon servers and their stupid drama, and occasionally someone posts their boobs. It's quite chill, much like Usenet or some early 2000s internet community. I think the Mastadon experience depends on where you end up.

There are A LOT of queer people on Mastadon, and chuds get banned quick. Posting things that are upsetting or serious without a content warning is frowned upon. Trolling is fine as long as it doesn't stray into bullying.

keep punching joe fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Nov 16, 2022

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Has anyone said Shittr yet? The social media/Voip one where you only use it while making GBS threads to talk to other people who are making GBS threads.

It's not a kink thing. Why does everyone say it's a kink thing! It's a serious social media service!

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

dr_rat posted:

Has anyone said Shittr yet? The social media/Voip one where you only use it while making GBS threads to talk to other people who are making GBS threads.

It's not a kink thing. Why does everyone say it's a kink thing! It's a serious social media service!

Shittr is sort of weird. More of a Pissr man myself.

You should see my last sneaky splash I posted from the urinal trough at the ball game.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

I had a dream that I had a script that automatically unbanned me from SA by instantly running a transaction the dream ended in horror of seeing like 1000 bans and unbans with lol, lmao as the reason.

Thank you for entering my weirdest melatonin dreams.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

just saw that tweets on mastodon are called "toots" and thats a dealbreaker for me

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Caesar Saladin posted:

just saw that tweets on mastodon are called "toots" and thats a dealbreaker for me

What the gently caress lol

Just call em tweats.

And mastodon is an awful name. It doesn't have stick or a cool tech bro vibe to it.

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

Revins posted:

mIRC will rise again

the early internet was wild and wooly and had self-organized communities that managed to exist and thrive even without big megacorps controlling and monetizing the data.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
The early internet gave me herpes

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Icochet posted:

The early internet gave me herpes

Or did you give the early internet herpes?

Were you the one?

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer

dr_rat posted:

Or did you give the early internet herpes?

Were you the one?

It was probably bill gates or one of those people

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Icochet posted:

It was probably bill gates or one of those people

Hmm, does sound like somethin' he and/or his kin would get up to.

baalaagaa
Apr 9, 2004
Microsoft Comic Chat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS

baalaagaa posted:

Microsoft Comic Chat

Jerkcity rising