Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022
X-COM UFO Defense, known as UFO: Enemy Unknown in Europe (and the Steam version apparently) is a strategy game released in 1994 and created by a company called MicroProse. It was a big success both critically and commercially and spawned several sequels in the X-COM universe, as well as several games inspired by X-COM such as the UFO Aftermath series and Xenonauts. After going dormant in 2001 the series received a reboot in 2012 with XCOM: Enemy Unknown.

Open X-COM is a modification to the original X-COM UFO Defense to make it open-source and easily moddable. The reason I mentioned modability is that I’m playing a mod for the game which runs perfectly in Open X-COM, the X-COM Files.

(When the LP started we were on version 2.5 The final update was done in version 3.1 The latest version is 3.2, and it is still being updated)

The X-COM Files is a full conversion mod for X-COM UFO Defense in which X-COM is formed a full two years before the alien invasion (meaning the game starts in 1997 instead of 1999) to investigate mysterious animal attacks, alien worshipping cults, and other oddities. Under your care, X-COM will hopefully grow from an MIB-style investigation agency to a full-fledged alien fighting force.

This LP is crossposted on LP Beach. I ended up not doing that. Mostly just because I was lazy, sorry.

If anyone wants to add a soldier to the pool, just comment with a name, weapon/combat role of choice, and anything else you want to add. You can also request/suggest any research topics, which opponents you’d like to focus on first, or journal entries from your soldiers if you feel like it. The first 4 characters submitted will join the initial 6 agents you start the game with. The first 2 slots have already been claimed.

So let's look beyond the veil and see what's hiding in the shadows. And hopefully this time it won't be a Reaper...

Case Files:
File 1: Settling in and the First Encounter
File 2: The Four Cults and Our First Loss
File 3: The Form of the Cults
File 4: Growing Larger
File 5: Our First Safehouse Assaults
File 6: Our Enemies Step Up
File 7: Dogs Are Scary
File 8: Breakthrough
File 9: Promotion II: Paranormal Security Agency
File 10: Black Ops Equipment
File 11: A Witch, A Priest, and a Black Ops Soldier Walk Into A Prison Cell...
File 12: First Blood for Weasel Bunker
File 13: First Contact
File 14: The Start of Our Second Year
File 15: Research in High Gear
File 16: Technical Difficulties
File 17: Potential Unleashed
File 18: Fishing Tackle and Bonus Feature: Superhuman Dagon HQ
File 19: Terminate The Church Of Dagon!
File 20: Someone got Xpirates in my Files.
File 21: Terminate the Black Lotus!
File 22: Our Most Important Captive
File 23: Terminate The Red Dawn!
File 24: I Thought Our Fishy Friends Were Dead.
File 25: Terminate EXALT!
File 26: Consider This an Experiment
File 27: Zombies, Hybrids, Hybrid Zombies!
File 28: Tasers are effective against Ghosts
File 29: Bloody Tears
File 30: This is a Short One
File 31: Dagon Strikes Back
File 32: Long and Dangerous Missions
File 33: Minibase Assault and Rookies
File 34: Minibase Assault and Rookies. Again
File 35: The Invasion Begins. Soonish
File 36: Where the hell are UFOs?
File 37: Scorpion Men and The Syndicate
File 38: David Vincent and the Men In Black
File 39: Cyberweb Fortress Assault
File 40: The Syndicate is Pissed
File 41: Repelling the Syndicate
File 42: The End + Roster and Statistics
Side Material
Enemy Files: The 4 Cults
Transformation Overview
Enemy Faction Overview

Fanart
I honestly never expected to get fanart so I'm unprepared for this.

First up from Icemole we have this picture demonstrating the proper use of the Flamer

Next from namesake we have this meme lamenting the fact that The Church of Dagon is as slippery as its master.

And then we have this piece of fanart from Amuys reminding us that Black Lotus is a bunch of cheating ninja bastards who's knives can punch through super metal.

A second piece also from Amuys demonstrates proper use of the Xeno Combat Shield

glwgameplayer fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Mar 1, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
I want to Believe

Hound Smith, Shotguns

I will spare you my rendition of the xfiles sound clip and post this comic: https://www.shaenon.com/monsteroftheweek/2022/11/13/mow-35/

LJN92
Mar 5, 2014

Is this just XCOM but with pistols and trenchcoats as starting equipment?

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

LJN92 posted:

Is this just XCOM but with pistols and trenchcoats as starting equipment?

I'll try not to step on too many toes and post too many spoilers: but no. The starting agents do have pistols and trenchcoats, but they are pitted against appropriate opposition. Think human criminals with similar equipment. Or various cryptids that hopefully have to close to hand to hand range to kill you.

Breadmaster
Jun 14, 2010
And they have to take the bus, because they can't afford a Skyranger, let alone anything resembling it.

Dak Thornson, SMGs
I'm fully prepared to die in my first mission to the dumbest thing.

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
Ah, I'll take a spot, this seems interesting.

Burnt Toast, Medic/Pistol

Those cryptids and cults can be sorted out in good order with some good old fashioned healing and healthy amounts of paranoia.

IceMole
Aug 1, 2009
Sounds fun.

IceMole, Sniper

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The Lone Badger, Explosions

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Sounds like a neat setting. Crazy Achmed, scout/sniper

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Sam O'Varr for point-man equivalent please. If I'm not dead in the first update I'm in, I'll be amazed.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Nick Danger, heavy weapons

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Jane Kane, rifles and other longarms.

Incidentally, I'm actually a minor contributor to this mod.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Cythereal, any role required.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

NewMars posted:

As a person who also contributed to XCOM mods (XCOM2, to be exact), neat! What did you do?

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022
By the way fun fact for everyone in the thread. In my practice recording while I was trying to get my recoridng set up figured out, in first set of missions I got a "strange creature" mission and sent the two characters whom my IRL friends named. The strange creature ended up being a Reaper. As in, the Reaper terror unit from base X-COM UFO Defense. While my agents were armed with nothing but Glocks and tasers.

They died obviously

Incidentally, eventually, I will be able to fulfill everyone's equipment requests. X-COM Files has a huge weapon catalog including SMGs, Assault Rifles, Sniper Rifles, Grenade Launchers, Rocket Launchers, Pistols, Crossbows, Throwing Knives, and some special secret things. But for the first couple months I'm going to be trying to get ahead of the curve on research by immediately gunning for the Information Center and Bio Lab. So... It's going to be Colts and Tasers for everyone for a while

habituallyred posted:

I'll try not to step on too many toes and post too many spoilers: but no. The starting agents do have pistols and trenchcoats, but they are pitted against appropriate opposition. Think human criminals with similar equipment. Or various cryptids that hopefully have to close to hand to hand range to kill you.

Oh, you silly bean. We have to research trenchcoats. At first, all we have are fancy business suits that have no armor whatsoever! (Actually the same amount of armor as the jumpsuit in base X-COM) The Red Tape restraining X-COM is very, very tight.

NewMars posted:

Jane Kane, rifles and other longarms.

Oh nice! I really like this mod, despite a few hiccups. Out of curiosity what did you help out with?

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Samovar posted:

As a person who also contributed to XCOM mods (XCOM2, to be exact), neat! What did you do?

glwgameplayer posted:

By the way fun fact for everyone in the thread. In my practice recording while I was trying to get my recoridng set up figured out, in first set of missions I got a "strange creature" mission and sent the two characters whom my IRL friends named. The strange creature ended up being a Reaper. As in, the Reaper terror unit from base X-COM UFO Defense. While my agents were armed with nothing but Glocks and tasers.

They died obviously

Incidentally, eventually, I will be able to fulfill everyone's equipment requests. X-COM Files has a huge weapon catalog including SMGs, Assault Rifles, Sniper Rifles, Grenade Launchers, Rocket Launchers, Pistols, Crossbows, Throwing Knives, and some special secret things. But for the first couple months I'm going to be trying to get ahead of the curve on research by immediately gunning for the Information Center and Bio Lab. So... It's going to be Colts and Tasers for everyone for a while

Oh, you silly bean. We have to research trenchcoats. At first, all we have are fancy business suits that have no armor whatsoever! (Actually the same amount of armor as the jumpsuit in base X-COM) The Red Tape restraining X-COM is very, very tight.

Oh nice! I really like this mod, despite a few hiccups. Out of curiosity what did you help out with?

Oh, I added the Carcharadons (from another mod, mind) and the lobstermen, plus a bunch of the stuff that opens up after you finish the t'leth arc to do with terror from the deep. There's only a few stuff right now, I think including the ability to raid supply cruisers.

That's all just stuff from an idea I've been wanting to work on for years but I just can't, because I can't stand the mod tools for openxcom, which are awful. The overall idea is a "deep t'leth" arc where you kick off the events of TFTD decades early and the undersea colonies and stuff go absolutely nuts trying to kill you and everything on the surface. With the potential for an alternate ending to the game where you manage to secure T'leth before it activates, while it's still buried miles underground.

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022
File One: Settling In, and the First Encounter

*Begin Recording*
Sunny’s Log, January 4th 1997.
Hello, this is Sunny, I’m one of the first 6 agents at X-COM. The brass is requesting that we make recordings to help “us” keep track of things. They didn’t specify who “us” is but it seemed like a good idea so…

X-COM has somehow exceeded my expectations and fallen short at the same time. On January 1st they had 6 of us agents moved to their first base. Another batch of 6 joined us a couple of days later. I don’t know whose idea it was to call this base “Rat Hill” but I agree that our base isn’t particularly… impressive

On one hand, the HQ itself has a small workshop, rooms for interrogation, and a single room that could serve as a mini laboratory. On the other hand, we have two giant hangers… which just have cars in them. Perfectly normal cars. The real shitshow started when I went to check out the armory.

Look at this loadout! I mean, I didn’t expect us to have top-of-the-line everything but… C’mon! The only solace to all of this is that when I brought it up to the quartermaster he gave me this sad look and told me that a shipment was coming in later today. He warned me not to get too excited though, we are pretty restricted in what we can obtain right now.

I guess I should talk about the support staff. As part of orientation, all of the agents were introduced to the support staff at X-COM. Apparently, they all came bearing gifts too.

The intelligence officer seems smart, a bit overly friendly though. I’m not sure what that comment about the medical officer is about either. That said, they brought a pack of “secret files” for the commander to pursue at his leisure so maybe they have some skills

I like the Quartermaster, he seems like a nice guy and he definitely has us, Agents, on his brain. He brought his old Luger with him and right before the first mission he offered to let me use it. He’s also working with the commander to try and acquire us some better armor, bulletproof vests, and such.

The Medical Officer was no-nonsense, she introduced herself, reminded us that she is qualified to cut up bodies for science, handed the commander a big briefcase of money, and retreated into her lab. She’s a little scary.

The Chief Accountant was intense and seemed a little doubtful about what we were doing. She told us and the commander straight to our faces that if we didn’t turn up some results we would be in the red before long, and that we were just a side project. She also had this sealed crate she handed the commander. I wonder what was in it

(Why did the accountant have this? Why did the accountant have this?)

After that, for our final step of initiation, we all sat down and talked about our general strategy. The UN doesn’t take us very seriously right now, so what we need to do is try to turn up evidence that what we were formed to fight exists in the first place, and then we have to prove effective at combatting them to turn up funding and promotions. To that end, the commander has provided enough tasers and stun batons to outfit the entire squad, though he has also reminded us that getting enemies alive is less important than us returning alive. I think he was genuine.

Our first call to action happened on January 3rd, with reports of mysterious animal attacks in Southeastern Asia. Dak Thornson and I both got into the company car and started an extended road trip there. Luckily we had passports and papers and everything to help speed us along but it was still kind of a trial. Took us almost the full day to get there.

When we arrived we got to flash our badges and dig for information, although it was pretty easy. People wanted the beast caught and were willing to tell us where it’s habitat was. They claimed it was some kind of bear-sized creature with slimy green skin and a long tentacle. I don’t believe in these strange cryptid-like animals that people claim exist, but something was killing those people and I wanted to get to the bottom of it.

Case: Investigate Strange Lifeform

Sunny: People say this is around where people disappear. Let’s get out and look for clues

Dak Thornson: I don’t think clues are gonna be that important buddy.

Sunny: What do you mean?

Dak Thornson: Look over the hood of the car, that way, and tell me what you see.

At first I thought I was just looking at a bush or something, but then the creature opened its mouth as if yawning. It took me several seconds to realize that it was a frog, but somehow this frog was somewhere between the size of an elephant and the size of a bear. It didn’t seem to have noticed us yet.

Sunny: That’s… a frog? How the hell are we supposed to fight that? Hell, how are we supposed to get it with a taser?

Dak Thornson: Remember what the boss said, our lives are more important than bringing it in alive. It’s too far away for me to use my shotgun, hand me something else.

Dak and I got on the other side of the car and started taking potshots with our pistols. Once the frog knew where we were it started moving through the woods, crashing through the underbrush and behind trees. Most of our shots went wide but I could tell we were hurting it. Then disaster struck

I don’t know why he was in the woods, but one of the locals must of heard gunshots and come to investigate. The Frog, sensing easier prey changed direction and charged toward him

Sunny: NO!

Dak Thornson: drat, nice shot!

It was a complete reflex, and I’m honestly amazed I made the shot. Somehow I managed to hit its center of mass, and the gargantuan frog finally passed out. Yes, I said passed out, somehow it was still alive despite the half dozen bullets in its body. When our cleanup crew arrived they took the frog with us, heavily sedated, and stored it in the back of a truck

Investigate Strange Lifeform: Case Closed

Dak and I both got promotions, moving us from Rookies to Senior Agents, completely skipping the rank of Agent. On top of that, we got medals too

For a mission in which civilians are in danger and they all survive contact with the enemy, we received a Cavalier medal. It felt surprisingly good to get a medal and know that the mutated frog will stop killing people.

Speaking of the frog… if I hadn’t gone to the creature's cages and saw it moving around I wouldn’t have believed it was real. The others keep trying to convince me it’s like, magic or a cryptid or some poo poo. I don’t know how it got so big but I figure mutations are more likely than “Dagon rituals” whatever the gently caress that means

Anyway, once I’m done recording this we’re going to set out on another mission, so I should wrap up. This is Senior Agent Sunny, Signing off.

*End Recording*

(LPer Notes)
A Bullfrog is quite possibly one of the worst monsters to be your first monster, but luckily we started far away enough from it that it couldn’t rush us. That plus being on the other side of the car made it easy to chip at it from a distance. It’s kind of odd to be back in the early game again. I miss my Black Ops Magnum and my 78 TU supersoldiers.

Also, this one is a little short because I was experimenting with a new recording setup. It did not work very well and made things worse instead of better. I'll try and have that fixed for next time

LJN92
Mar 5, 2014

If this is gonna be a proper X-Files style LP, we need someone to be an adamant sceptic, no matter how much obvious proof of something strange happening occurs.

Yes, even though this is an agency set up to counter alien threats.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
So as someone completely unfamiliar with X-COM Files, why was there a giant frog and why was it such a big threat?

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022

Cythereal posted:

So as someone completely unfamiliar with X-COM Files, why was there a giant frog and why was it such a big threat?

All "Strange Creature" missions spawn monster-type enemies who usually have close-range combat moves and no ranged capabilities. Think Zombies, Chrysalids, and Reapers from the normal X-COM games. The Bullfrog is a monster-type enemy you can occasionally find in those Strange Creature missions. And the reason why it's so dangerous is its weapon. It has a melee attack which does heavy damage, but it also has a ranged attack. It's tongue.

If the bullfrog got within 6 or so tiles of us, it absolutely could have killed one of our agents by crushing them with its tongue. It's also a 2x2 sized creature and has the HP to match. Luckily we fought it in a forest so it kept getting caught on tree stumps and bushes and stuff.

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost
So it's like a Reaper with longer melee range?

Breadmaster
Jun 14, 2010
"Hello Dak, thank you for coming in. I know therapy may not seem that useful in the short term but-"
"You don't have to try to convince me to want this, I know I need help"
"Well then, what seems to be troubling you?"
"Frogs"

ChaosDragon
Jul 13, 2014
ChaosDragon Rifleman

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
The bullfrogs are huge threats because they're difficult to kill with the guns you've got and their attacks can pretty much one-shot you with the armour and stats you have at this point.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
There's a few enemies in this mod that are right proper bastards to fight if you don't know how to deal with them, like the first time you see them and you wonder why they just won't die.

Might as well add my body on the line as Koorisch and as a Sniper.

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022
I do actually have a question for all of you, because I'm having trouble deciding for myself. I was going to make little "game corner" posts that talk more about the gameplay side of things but I want to ask.

When going forward, do you think I should put my gameplay explanations at the end of each Case, or in separate posts

Furthermore, When describing our equipment and armory, do you want me to explain all of it in detail, only describe the weapons I'm actually using in detail, or just provide little footnotes on them when appropriate

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Hell, if it's anywhere near the usual meatgrinder...

I'll take Drakenel, whatever loadout leads to most explosions.

Because 'collateral damage' is just a fancy term for 'making sure its dead'.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
End of the case.

As much as I would like to see someone explain every piece of equipment that would kill you. Footnotes on everything but the most important equipment. Maybe a little thing for each agent about their "weapon of choice?"

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
End of each Case.

And footnotes for most equipment seems fine.

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost
For the sake of in-jokes: I, Cato Sicarius with whatever kind of explosive.

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022
I feel kinda bad for everyone who's asking for explosives considering that I need to complete a bunch of research to get a stable source. Not to say we can't get some earlier but, it won't be consistent at that point

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

glwgameplayer posted:

I feel kinda bad for everyone who's asking for explosives considering that I need to complete a bunch of research to get a stable source. Not to say we can't get some earlier but, it won't be consistent at that point

Why not save all the explosives character names for after you have a reliable source?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

glwgameplayer posted:

Feel free to not dwarf me until rocket launchers are available.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
I mean, I'll take whatever if that's too many. Shotguns are an option? I'll be on the frontlines to get eaten first.

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022
Probably what I'll do is keep you guys in reserve. Give you a name and have you in training (since X-COM files does allow your Soldiers to train to boost their base stats) so that when we do get explosives you'll be ready.

Still no promises that you'll have them on your first outing

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
One thing people should know before asking for details is that this is one of those mods that has a metric fuckton of guns that are only slightly distinguished in many cases.

samcarsten
Sep 13, 2022

by vyelkin

NewMars posted:

One thing people should know before asking for details is that this is one of those mods that has a metric fuckton of guns that are only slightly distinguished in many cases.

is there a list? I have an idea.

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022

samcarsten posted:

is there a list? I have an idea.

If you guys really want to look, there is an X-COM Files Wiki (literally just type "X-COM Files Wiki" into google and it will bring you to a forum on the Open X-COM website that leads to the X-COM Files Wiki)

Fair warning, if you go poking around the research too much you probably will run into spoilers

Unless you meant a list of the weapons I have available right now, in which case I'm planning on putting that at the end of the next file as a visit to the armory

glwgameplayer fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Nov 17, 2022

macdjord
Oct 26, 2013
I volunteer as tribute! 'Mac', a heavy weapons guy.

glwgameplayer posted:

I do actually have a question for all of you, because I'm having trouble deciding for myself. I was going to make little "game corner" posts that talk more about the gameplay side of things but I want to ask.

When going forward, do you think I should put my gameplay explanations at the end of each Case, or in separate posts

Furthermore, When describing our equipment and armory, do you want me to explain all of it in detail, only describe the weapons I'm actually using in detail, or just provide little footnotes on them when appropriate
End of the case, and full details please. (Though if you have a bunch of poorly distinguished weapons, it's fine for 'full details' to be a statblock followed by 'Like X, only with better Y'.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

BraveLittleToaster posted:

End of each Case.

And footnotes for most equipment seems fine.

I second this post.