Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
Maybe some more info about some of the more interesting/standout equipment, there's some new things this mod adds that isn't in the regular X-Com after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja
Max Caliber

Farming implements, a big revolver when available. Also medical supplies.

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011

Samovar posted:

I second this post.

Thirded. All in favor?

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011
Drake Sherrin. Long guns, surveillance.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
So, can you go raid the pro-alien organisations and turn the looted gear into your primary source of income? Like in X-com Apocalypse?

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022

VictualSquid posted:

So, can you go raid the pro-alien organisations and turn the looted gear into your primary source of income? Like in X-com Apocalypse?

You can. Much like in X-COM UFO defense, you get every item on the ground at the end of a mission (except for human corpses. Which would be morbid). Against human enemies that usually means you pick up whatever weapons they have, and they have a rare chance of spawning with money bags, wads of cash, and briefcases full of money. You can also find supply crates at their hideout which you can break open to find a bunch of weapons, explosives, medical supplies, and so on.

However unlike in X-COM Apocalypse there's no point on the map where the human enemies always will be. In Apocalypse, you can just send a group to the Cult of Sirius HQ whenever you want to get your hands on extra guns and Psiclone. In X-COM Files, we have to wait for a suspect to be identified or a safe house to be found before we can go after them. (In gameplay terms, we have to wait for a mission to appear before we can make a move on them)

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Oh, I just remembered, there is one other thing I added. Well, it's sort of multiple things. the intercepted messages from each of the cults you get at research thresholds.

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022

NewMars posted:

Oh, I just remembered, there is one other thing I added. Well, it's sort of multiple things. the intercepted messages from each of the cults you get at research thresholds.

I really like those. I like how X-COM Files took the usual restrictions of UFO Defense and kind of, pivoted to using them in a new and interesting way. X-COM Files does it's best to tell a story, all using the popups that come with events and research thresholds.

Do you know the parts at the beginning where the various support staff members were joining? Those weren't just for show. I'm currently researching Personal Protection, and I could not research that until the Quartermaster joined us. In the same respect, I couldn't research X-COM's General Strategy until the Intelligence officer came along. And that's the things that they talked about in their introductory event. So very cool...

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
They made a bunch of characters with some cooky personalities in the background, it's pretty neat.

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022
So, I just got done recording the next set of missions, and let me tell you how many missions I did.

10! TEN! 10 missions in about as many days, I had to get a second car and send two squads each on these things in order to catch them all before they expired.

Naturally, I will be skipping over some of these, but there are some important things that happened in some of these. Like meeting a new enemy type, meeting the cults, and tragedy striking!

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009

glwgameplayer posted:

So, I just got done recording the next set of missions, and let me tell you how many missions I did.

10! TEN! 10 missions in about as many days, I had to get a second car and send two squads each on these things in order to catch them all before they expired.

Yeah, this mod will give you a *lot* of missions to do and you probably want three hangars just to get them all.

WizardOfWhispers
Jul 21, 2022
Mutant creatures and human enemies? Sounds like a fun way to spice up the normal alien formula.

For updates - gameplay notes at the end of each case works good for the more narrative approach your first update had. Equipment should mostly be footnotes unless there's something real interesting about how it works or you're using it, in which case more detail would be appreciated.

And I'll throw in a recruit - Wizard Williams, who will take one look over the report about that frog-thing and insist on bringing a shotgun or similar heavy weapon for protection.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Holy moly I cannot imagine doing a narrative LP of this long-rear end mod. That being said, I love X-COM Files and have done a few playthroughs. I would like to throw a soldier into the pile, a Dr. Hugh Manuel, as a robot, preferably in the light alien hover drone chassis, but a medical drone is acceptable too.

Edit: also when we unlock the ability to recruit dogs, I would like a Gaspode the Wonder Dog .

Neurion fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Nov 17, 2022

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022
File 2: The Four Cults and Our First Loss

*Begin Recording*
Sunny’s Log, January 5th 1997 to January 18th 1997
After our initial success capturing the Bullfrog, missions seemed to pop up all over the globe day by day, The commander bought a second car and outfitted a second squad to keep up with the flood of missions

The first mission of this month was done by Burnt Toast and Hound Smith, who were investigating disappearances on an island north of Russia. Sadly it was that time of year where it’s always dark there, but they brought flares and flashlights. Good thing too because as Toast threw their second flare…

Burnt Toast: What the hell is that thing?
Hound Smith: It looks like a gorilla. An Albino gorilla. An angry Albino gorilla
The best picture we have is the one they took, and even so the detail isn’t amazing

We would need a dead one to examine it in great detail but from what we can tell it’s some kind of Albino Yeti/Gorilla thing? We’ve given it the designation of Mongorn
Hound Smith: It’s alright, we have guns and it doesn’t. All we have to do is stay here and we can kill it!
Burnt Toast: Hound, there are more!

Hound Smith: Let’s see… three albino gorillas, at night, in the frozen wastes, with nothing but handguns. Hmmm…
At that point they made the correct decision and got the hell out of there.

It was disappointing to not have killed them but I think they made the right choice. There’s no way they could take down multiple gorilla sized creatures with our pistols and shotguns. Maybe if they had a rifle or a proper pump action they could take it but… Nah

Next up, Ice Mole and The Lone Badger went on our first ever Cult Aprehension mission in… Malaysia I think?

I would love to say that it was some kind of deep and difficult investigation where they solved a series of mysteries and uncovered the truth but uh… Actually what happened is they entered a nearby building to ask for questions and came face to face with one of the cultists, who immediately pulled out a stun baton and screamed at them.

The Lone Badger: I have a suspect. I think? He’s got a stun baton and he’s wearing like martial arts clothes.
Ice Mole: Sounds like grounds for a tasing to me.
Mole and Badger searched the building before hearing a noise outside. When The Lone Badger went outside he found the next cult member charging him with a Tonfa and a cluster of throwing knives.

Since they already had a live suspect, Badger did what he thought appropriate and blew him away with a shotgun

The next Cult Aprehension actually almost went very badly for us. While Hound and Toast were investigating they found a man with an axe threatening them. They took up positions on opposite sides of a courtyard, trying to lure him in so that they could tase him

But as they were lying in wait, another cult member snuck up on Hound
Hound Smith: Toast be careful he has a friend! (Sounds of CQC and two gunshots)

(If Hound had failed this CQC check he absolutely would have died)
Burnt Toast: You may have hit me in my left arm, but the joke’s on you. I’m ambidextrous!
Hound took a step back from the cultist and blew him away with his shotgun while Toast managed to take him down with the taser.

Both of them are currently in the Med Bay. I feel a little bad for them but they say what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger. Hopefully, by the time they come out, they’ll be tougher than they were

God, there were a lot of missions these past two weeks… Sorry, I’m only giving you the highlights but there were a lot of them. The next mission was Ice Mole and Badger again, and this time the mission started with a crossbow bolt breaking the back window of their car.

Ice Mole: I see the guy who shot at us. He’s on the second floor with an uh… Crossbow.
The Lone Badger: Alright check this out. I’m going to breach the bottom floor and use the door as cover. After he fires I’m going to close the door and tase him. Check it!
It was a good plan, and to his credit, it worked. Mostly. Badger missed both shots with his taser and had to fall back on old reliable.

The rest of the mission was pretty standard. Badger noticed a guy in the distance and kept an eye on them while Mole moved closer, hidden by a house. Mole came up behind him with the taser and that was that. Speaking of tasers, Mole got a medal for this mission, Tasemaster

The Tasemaster commendation is given out to soldiers who are good at bringing in people alive. I’d say Mole qualifies, keep up the good work buddy

Next mission was one of mine, we were out to investigate a cult called Red Dawn I think? There’s not a lot to say though. Two guys with baseball bats fronted up on us and tried to keep us quiet.

Dak Thornson: Oww! Bastard!
Sunny: Remember the taser’s in your left hand. We need at least one of them alive
Dak Thornson: Okay but does it have to be this one?

Now for something non mission related. The Quartermaster finally managed to open a channel of communication with our “higher ups” on personal protection. And they rejected our request for Kevlar vests. Said “we’re an investigation team not an army.” I heard the Quartermaster cursing all the way back to his desk. We have an order of leather coats coming in, but they won’t be here for a while

With all the pencil pushers freed up the Intelligence Officer went to work interrogating the cult members, and we went back to more missions, still as unarmored as we always were

This… is a bit of a weird one even for us. Reports of cattle mutilation by farmers and “aliens” which I think is a bunch of bullshit. But Crazy Achmed and Sam O’varr went to investigate anyways. And as soon as they got out of the car bullets were flying because the farmer had a shotgun.

Crazy Achmed: If you hide in the orchard hopefully he won’t be able to see you. I’ll get by this side of the barn you get that side. I hope we’ll be able to flank them
Sam O’varr: You’re surprisingly reasonable for a crazy person
Crazy Achmed: Oh that’s just my code name. I think.
The plan went off perfectly, and Achmed found another farmer on the other side and managed to tase him. He also found the cow body though and it’s… well. Look for yourself
(Content Warning. Next picture is a pixelated cow corpse)

The picture they took is horrifying. A cow on the ground violently dismembered… I kinda wonder if the farmers aren’t in a secre cult too. I find that a lot more likely than aliens.

The next mission me and badger teamed up and it was awful. It was nighttime, and a farmer with a shotgun was taking potshots at us from the second floor of his barn. We had to go all the way around to get to it because of the stupid fences in the way. His friend came at us with a pitchfork and tried to stab us, that was easy enough. But I was terrified that the farmer up stairs would get us before we got too close so I uh… Might have shot him with the snub nose pistol

As far as I’m concerned, better him than me. Also, there was this weird glowing… paste? Covering? Ooze? That the guys at home were really excited about. I’m waiting for it to be revealed that it was just reflective paint or something.

The next mission was pretty sad actually Achmed and Sam found themselves in a jungle looking into animal attacks and found more of those Mongorns

Crazy Achmed: I don’t want to try getting close to tase one of those. Can we even beat them with our guns?
Sam O’varr: Achmed there are civilians here! The Mongorn are killing them!

Crazy Achmed: drat! Don’t get too close, but we have to try and do something!
(Sounds of gunshots and multiple animalistic roars. The gunshots stop but the roars continue, and grow louder and louder)
Sam O’varr:.. I’m out of ammo Achmed. We need to get out of here
Crazy Achmed:... Yeah. We do.

The next mission… The next mission felt like it was compounding on their earlier tragedy. Sam and Achmed were going door to door questioning people about the cult of Dagon when the door to Achmed’s house opened and he was staring down the barrel of a shotgun.

Crazy Achmed: I was wondering if you knew anything about the church of Da… gon…
(Sound of two shotgun blasts, one after the other)

Sam O’varr: Achmed are you alright! Talk to me!
Crazy Achmed: ‘malrigh. Jus gotta… stop bleedn…

Sam was on her way to help Achmed when a bullet whizzed past her head. She turned around and killed the cultist who shot at her in a single well-placed bullet. But by the time she made it to Achmed he was already dead. None of us were happy to hear the news, but I think Sam was struck the hardest by it

The final mission was so uninteresting that I would skip it if it wasn’t for the fact that we met a fourth cult on in. You probably know the drill by now, we drive into town and check some things out. A two-bit member of the cult takes a swing at us and we tase them. That’s basically what happened this time too with one exception

For some reason I can’t shoot through this drat fence. Every time I tried to aim I just, got my hand caught on it or the gun caught on it and it sucked.

The Exalt guy could shoot me through the fence just fine. So I borrowed his technique and tried to shoot through it from this angle

Worked like a charm.

I’m going to pour one out for Achmed, but we can’t sit around for too long. There’s 2 more active investigations we need to go on soon. But there is some good news. The Intelligence guys are working on cracking those cultists we brought in, and our Leather Coats arrived. There isn’t enough to outfit everyone at once but we move in teams of 2 so we have more than enough.

This is Captain Sunny, Signing off.
*End Recording*

(LPer Notes)
I was trying to get out of the first month without anyone dying... I might have been able to save Achmed if I had him fire his gun at point-blank range but as you’ve seen already, CQC checks are required to attack with guns at close range. I wasn’t sure if he could make it or not. He managed to kill his attacker though so you know what. I Salute you Achmed.

Also, I’m sorry if these seemed a little sporadic but… I went on 10 missions, had a 50-minute recording (some of that is when I left it running when I had to go do something) and we advanced the clock by 12 days. In a game measured in years. So I tried to just hit the highlights

Basically my plan on the research front, there are 2 different paths we can take to unlock more scientists. One, we research medicine and advanced medicine to unlock the Bio Lab building. Two, we interrogate one of each cult and research their methods to unlock the Intelligence Center.

I may have made a mistake by trying to get to the Intelligence Center first but I made my choice. At the very least I’m glad I got the leather coats. It takes another research project to get Kevlar vests and that would be another 10 days at least with our research. It’s why I want more laboratory room immediately

Gameplay Corner: Soldier Stats and Training

Being based on X-COM UFO Defense, Files uses most of the same stats as UFO Defense, with a few additions. This here is Sunny’s stats after his very first mission, with the darker part of each bar being his base stats and the bright part is how much he’s grown since then.

TUs and Stamina are two resources you spend while moving, or doing much of anything really in Files. Both of them recover at the start of your next turn, but encumbrance can reduce a soldier’s TU and Stamina regeneration. Low sanity can also reduce TU and Stamina.

Health is, you know. How much damage you can take before you die or pass out. Lowered health and fatal injuries will also reduce the rest of your stats, so getting healed can be a good idea if the fight can’t be ended immediately. In addition to lowering stats, Fatal injuries will slowly drain your health every turn and can be cured with medical kits. They’re represented by a blood drop icon.

Bravery is the stat used to decide if your soldier is going to fold and panic due to low morale. Morale is also a stat, but it only matters on missions. It starts at 100 and goes down due to damage and dead soldiers. Getting kills will restore morale. If it falls below 50, the unit has to make a bravery check to remain under your control, otherwise they panic or go berserk

Reactions is how easy it is for your agents to react when an enemy takes an action. The reason why Sunny managed to blast that bullfrog in the first mission is probably due to his respectable reactions. It’s also a component of the melee dodge formula and the damage formula for precision melee weapons like knives.

Firing, Throwing, and Melee accuracy all modify accuracy with different kinds of weapons. As we can see, Sunny is a crack shot. Sunny would get stabbled two dozen times in a knife fight before landing one himself.

Strength modifies how much equipment you can carry into battle, it can also be a damage modifier on some weapons, mainly melee and throwing for obvious reasons

Sanity is an addition to Files which wasn’t in the original UFO Defense. Sanity is slowly worn away when Soldiers are on missions, and is restored by staying at home. If the boys spend 20 turns in the depths of a hell portal, their sanity will probably be much lower when they get home. Low sanity reduces the generation of TUs, Stamina, and may have an effect on morale? Not sure

Another thing to note is that in X-COM Files your soldiers can train, passively increasing their stats as long as they stay in the base an uninjured. Training can only go so far, usually increasing their overall stats by about 10 points each (more in some cases) but it goes a long way to making rookies usable instead of the worst.

I don’t actually know how quickly training happens or what the calculations are for it, but you really should put every single soldier you can through training.

The Armory
To be honest the weapons you start the game out with are all pretty abysmal

For melee options, we have a combat knife and an electric stun baton. As you can see, accuracy and strength can modify the damage of melee weapons, meaning that someone with extremely high strength or accuracy can inflict a lot of damage with a knife. Naturally, this comes at a cost, having to engage the enemy at point-blank range.

This is going to be our bread-and-butter option for capturing enemies alive for most of the game. It has a max range of 4 tiles which is basically point blank range but has a very powerful electric stun that can put down weaker targets instantly.

The Glock is actually the pistol you start the game with, and it’s a bit of a weird one. Low direct damage, middle-of-the-road accuracy, and the normal range for a pistol. However, it does have something going for it, a high rate of fire, a large clip, and the ability to perform auto shots. In fact, I’d say the Glock is secretly the game’s first SMG.

The Colt is what I consider to be the early game bread and butter weapon. It is the strongest pistol that we can acquire right now and it’s basically the opposite of the Glock. In exchange for a slower fire rate and a smaller clip, the Colt has increased stopping power and accuracy. Every other pistol we have, the Luger, the Barretta 92, and the Snubnose may have a very slightly higher fire rate or clip, but in exchange, they lose out on some stopping power. I consider a 2 point Time Unit loss to be… well a lot less important than dealing an average of 6 more damage per shot

The Small Shotgun is basically everything you’d expect from a Shotgun but boosted to a hilarious degree. Assuming every pellet lands it does an average of 15 damage 7 times, which may be useless against a well-armored target but would utterly evaporate someone else. Sadly the farthest it can fire before its accuracy starts tanking is 3 tiles. It can shoot further but generally speaking it’s a CQC weapon. Also, it’s the same size as a pistol, so it is technically concealable, can be stored on a belt, and can be used with one hand. Technically we have a two-handed shotgun available too, but it only fires 5 pellets in exchange for a range boost. I’d much rather wait so we can get a proper pump action shotgun with range and power.

This is… a bit of a weird one. It’s basically an impromptu smoke grenade/stun weapon? If you fire the Fire extinguisher it makes a small smoke cloud where it lands and puts out any smoke, but if someone is hit by the initial blast it does quite a bit of stun damage. I’m not going to make this a part of anyone’s load out or anything but uh… Yeah.

I didn’t grab a picture of them because they don’t really show anything important but, we have 3 different classes of medical items right now. Medical Kits, Medical Bags, and Medical Packs. They are in ascending order of both size and weight, with the kit being 1x2 and the rest being 2x2 in the inventory. It uses the normal X-COM medical system so each pack has Pain killers, which restore morale, Stimulants, which reduce stun damage and restore stamina, and “Heal” which removes fatal wounds on Soldiers. Kits have 1 of each, Bags 2 of each, and Packs 3 of each. We can also buy individual Stimulants and Pain Killers for our soldiers but. Why would I do that?

The suit is the armor we start the game with and it is objectively the worst in every way. 5 armor is the absolute minimum that an entity can possess. It has good resistance to EMP weapons on account of not having any mechanical or electronic parts but it’s outclassed in literally every way by our next item

The Leather Coat isn’t that much better than the suit, to be honest. It’s only a 3-point armor increase across the board, but that may have been enough armor to save Achmed’s life, so make of that what you will. It’s also worth mentioning that the Leather Coat has a higher melee dodge than the suit, and provides resistance against cutting and incendiary attacks. It’s also cheap, so I bought a bunch and equipped almost the whole crew with them.

LJN92
Mar 5, 2014

"Bulky" and "makes dodging easier" seems like an oxymoron to me.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Pixel cleavage on the intelligence officer and lovingly rendered pixel buttcrack in the art this update.

Ugh. loving modders. Thank you for convincing me nice and early to never play this mod.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
RIP Achmed. That's rough. But that's XCOM, modded or not.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Cythereal posted:

Pixel cleavage on the intelligence officer and lovingly rendered pixel buttcrack in the art this update.

Ugh. loving modders. Thank you for convincing me nice and early to never play this mod.

Oh you haven't seen the worst of it yet, buddy! We'll be seeing more later.

Also glwgameplayer are you playing with some sort of weird aspect ratio affecting the pixels? Some of the screenshots look ever so slightly.. off to me.

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022

Neurion posted:

Oh you haven't seen the worst of it yet, buddy! We'll be seeing more later.

Also glwgameplayer are you playing with some sort of weird aspect ratio affecting the pixels? Some of the screenshots look ever so slightly.. off to me.

I'm gonna level with you. I've been fighting the aspect ratio and the pixels this whole time. Right now my setup is that I have it on a smaller resolution, in fullscreen, and slightly shrunk on OBS's recording, and finally cropped with Photoshop in order to make it less than 900 pixels wide (which I'm told is the requirement for archival)

So playing on a weird aspect ratio is probably the least of the butchering I do for each of these images

glwgameplayer fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Nov 17, 2022

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022
Edit: this was an accidental double post. Please ignore it

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

Cythereal posted:

For better and for worse there is a lot of... cross pollination between openxcom mods. Making pixel art in the specific xcom style is apparently somewhat time consuming so everything that can be repurposed or modified is. Since one of the largest (and most infamous) mods is the XPiratez mod... I think at least one mission set is 90% because they already had (in)appropriate art available.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Well, good to know this mod is made by children.

Please strike me from the roll of troopers.

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022
I swear that some of the art in the UFOpedia is borrowed/stolen and then bit-crushed into oblivion but I can't actually think of any examples other than maybe the dossiers you get sometimes from secret files and cult interrogations

glwgameplayer fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Nov 18, 2022

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

LJN92 posted:

"Bulky" and "makes dodging easier" seems like an oxymoron to me.

Neo.

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022
Now that I've flexed my LP muscles making two posts in two days. I think I'll slow down a bit.

On the subject of my research path. Generally speaking most of the big upgrades in the early game take 50 scientist days, or 10 days (since I have 5 scientists) There are two different ways to increase the number of scientists in the early game. One is to go after the Bio Lab, the other is to go after the Intelligence Center.

The Bio Lab has less steps involved. I just need to research Medicine (available after the Medical Officer joins) Advanced Medicine (Available after Medicine is researched) and then Research the bio lab itself, then build it.

Each one of those topics is 50 scientist hours, meaning it would take me 30 days to do all of the research, and then another 20 for it to be built

The Intelligence center is more complicated but I believe it can be done faster. (LOL I'm wrong.) First, you need to catch a member of each cult, and then interrogate all of them (each one is 10 scientist days. I feel like that's incorrect but that's what the Wiki says) Then you need to research the outline of each cult (also 10 scientist days) and then you can research the Intelligence center for 50 scientist days.

That would be quicker... If I didn't also need Basic operations which is another 50 scientist days

poo poo

Welp, it's fine. Max efficiency isn't something I was going for anyway considering I took a pit stop for those Leather Coats

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
No worries, it's probably for the best to go for the labs since getting any of them would speed up everything in the long run.

That said, going for Logistics might be a good choice this early on, just to get more boots on the ground.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

glwgameplayer posted:

I swear that some of the art in the UFOpedia is borrowed/stolen and then bit-crushed into oblivion but I can't actually think of any examples other than maybe the dossiers you get sometimes from secret files and cult interrogations

My favorite is the Duke Nukem cosplayer.

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011

glwgameplayer posted:

I think I remember seeing that picture Cyth mentioned in one of the Shadowrun splatbooks.

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

Cythereal posted:

Well, good to know this mod is made by children.

Please strike me from the roll of troopers.

The Intel officer is probably the worst offender outside some real creepy endgame reaserch and one of the cults having an ascended being who has transcend clothing in favor of glowing and floating.

It has absolutely :yarr:ed some images to bitcrush.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

glwgameplayer posted:

I'm gonna level with you. I've been fighting the aspect ratio and the pixels this whole time. Right now my setup is that I have it on a smaller resolution, in fullscreen, and slightly shrunk on OBS's recording, and finally cropped with Photoshop in order to make it less than 900 pixels wide (which I'm told is the requirement for archival)

So playing on a weird aspect ratio is probably the least of the butchering I do for each of these images

If you're not recording video, my suggestion would be to use Irfanview and set it up to capture a screen on a button press. Once that's all done, you can batch crop/shrink them all to the appropriate aspect ratio.

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022

Jobbo_Fett posted:

If you're not recording video, my suggestion would be to use Irfanview and set it up to capture a screen on a button press. Once that's all done, you can batch crop/shrink them all to the appropriate aspect ratio.

I am recording a video, not to upload the video but so I can watch it back and remember all the things that happened and take very specific screenshots (for example, every shot that had someone flashing red in it was done by inching the video forward second by second.) That said Irfanview might be a good idea for the taking and cropping of the actual screenshots to keep them all uniform.

Arkovic
Jul 14, 2010
If we're still allowing submissions, I'd love to toss my hat into the ring! I've watched ARavingLoon play this mod on stream and it looks amazing!

Arkovic, and any role we're light on!

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022

Arkovic posted:

If we're still allowing submissions, I'd love to toss my hat into the ring!

We are definitely still allowing submissions. I have a big old google doc full of all the recruits and their chosen roles. I'm keeping up to date on all the new additions and such
'
Although it occurs to me that maybe I should make a roster on the main page. I think I'll do that. Edit: I have now done that

glwgameplayer fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Nov 18, 2022

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

So we're being denied body armour, huh? What, are we getting supplied by Russia?

And as for the mod being stupidly horny, that reminds me of that one modder for Darkest Dungeon who was a good artist... If they didn't have characters with stupidly big tits. God it was so dumb.

Also, damnit Achmed, it was supposed to be me!

IT WAS SUPPOSED TO BE ME

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022

Samovar posted:

So we're being denied body armour, huh? What, are we getting supplied by Russia?

No... but one of the cults is. That's not a joke by the way one of the cults is based in Russia and the region around Russia. Although Russia is one of our funding nations and funding us to destroy the cult so make of that what you will

Technically I could get us some body armor by setting all 5 of our scientists to fill out paperwork for 10 days. But I just... I want faster research so badly that I'm bull-rushing the intelligence center. Although I'm considering maybe delaying researching all the Cults because doing that makes them a little bit angry at us...

The early game is so hard you guys. I don't even have magnums or shotguns yet

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Arkovic posted:

If we're still allowing submissions, I'd love to toss my hat into the ring! I've watched ARavingLoon play this mod on stream and it looks amazing!

Arkovic, and any role we're light on!

Loon's streams got me interested in it, too. Ted is a real MVP

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

glwgameplayer posted:

No... but one of the cults is. That's not a joke by the way one of the cults is based in Russia and the region around Russia. Although Russia is one of our funding nations and funding us to destroy the cult so make of that what you will

Technically I could get us some body armor by setting all 5 of our scientists to fill out paperwork for 10 days. But I just... I want faster research so badly that I'm bull-rushing the intelligence center. Although I'm considering maybe delaying researching all the Cults because doing that makes them a little bit angry at us...

The early game is so hard you guys. I don't even have magnums or shotguns yet

Even if you bullrush the Intel center that's still nearly a month after you unlock it to build the thing. What you really wanna blitz for at first is the van. Being able to field 4 dudes dramatically increases your ability to complete cases.

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022

Neurion posted:

Even if you bullrush the Intel center that's still nearly a month after you unlock it to build the thing. What you really wanna blitz for at first is the van. Being able to field 4 dudes dramatically increases your ability to complete cases.

As it turns out, I need to research the thing that unlocks the van in order to even get the Information Center so. Yeah. The van is probably next on the list. That way I can push back making the cults angry to the month after next

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I keep volunteering to xcom lps and never get any screen time, so I hope agent Boris P. Delacroix would be an exception

The P is for Pornelius

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022
To put X-COM File's deadliness into perspective. In my practice playthrough, I made it a little over a year and a half into the game and have lost 21 soldiers. That's not amazing, and it's actively terrible in the new X-COMs. But compared to the meat grinder X-COM UFO Defense usually is? That's honestly very good. Most X-COM UFO Defense games lose that many soldiers in the first month or two breaching UFOs