Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omniphile
Apr 5, 2010

Love? Justice? Pah! I'll crush them all!
If there's still room for submissions to the meat grinder, we obviously need an Agent Skulder Mully.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
Don't let the low amounts of death in this current moment make you think this game is less deadly than normal X-Com, it's quite deadly enough but there's ways to mitigate the chances of dying a bit better in this one.

Also in case anyone didn't know, you can actually shoot the Taser further if you force-fire it at the maximal range at an enemy in a straight line, I've managed to get a few captures that would have killed my agents had I not done this little trick.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015

Cythereal posted:

Well, good to know this mod is made by children.

Please strike me from the roll of troopers.

Could you be any less insufferable?

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022

Fivemarks posted:

Could you be any less insufferable?

Alright, come on. There's no need for that. Some people have things that are particularly painful or annoying to them. It didn't bother me that much, but I understand that having a pixelated rear end suddenly in your face might be the cause of much eye-rolling and groans of annoyance

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Neurion posted:

Even if you bullrush the Intel center that's still nearly a month after you unlock it to build the thing. What you really wanna blitz for at first is the van. Being able to field 4 dudes dramatically increases your ability to complete cases.

Can we paint a sweet wizard on the side?

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022

The Lone Badger posted:

Can we paint a sweet wizard on the side?

No. But our unmarked van can be... marked. With a giant X-COM Logo

... Keep in mind the Van can be used for undercover investigations

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
Is there any point to asking for dorfing if there are only two agents per deployment?

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022

Klaus88 posted:

Is there any point to asking for dorfing if there are only two agents per deployment?

Worry not. Once I research the Van I can field 4 agents. And later we'll get bigger and better craft until we're up to normal UFO Defense levels.

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022
Alright, I've got all of the screenshots I need for the next file but I've still got to put them together and write the connective tissue and all that. You can probably expect that sometime in the next two days.

I'm going to be cutting a bunch of missions out, but don't worry you aren't missing much of anything. You guys have already seen every mission type we'll get for the first couple of months. Suspect Investigation, Alien Investigation, and Monster Investigation. I'll comment if something particularly interesting or new came up but most of them are variations of "I saw a Cultist and shot them" or "I saw a farmer and tased them"

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009

Did we break into a suburban Karate dojo and abduct one of the students?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Yes

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009

Klaus88 posted:

There's actually another vehicle with a lot of slots we could use but it's... questionable that it could ever be useful considering it's *very* big flaw.

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022

Koorisch posted:

There's actually another vehicle with a lot of slots we could use but it's... questionable that it could ever be useful considering it's *very* big flaw.

That reminds me I need to take a screenshot of the Car and Mudranger to use as examples of X-COM Craft. I figure that's what I can spend half of the next Gameplay Corner talking about. The other half is going to be spent talking about the pistol weapon class

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

ultrabindu posted:

Did we break into a suburban Karate dojo and abduct one of the students?

In hindsight we really should have seen the Cobra Kai-Snakemen connection a lot sooner

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Koorisch posted:

School bus?

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

So, some mechanical things to think of.

The combat knife is surprisingly one of your best generalist low tech melee weapons. a lot of weapons have a damage spread of 0-200%, meaning a hit can be turned aside by armor or just catching clothing weird. hits for no damage happen. The combat knife has a spread of 50-150%. a minimum damage hit will have good odds on penetrating armor, and still doing damage. There should be a hotkey, I wanna say Alt, that lets you see the value a weapon will do in the hands of a particular soldier. So some weapons have better stats on pape, but give it to a dude with high bravery who gives no fucks, and it outdoes 'better' melee weapons. Combat knife, and the kukri, the tonfa and the wooden club are examples of this.

Edit:
It hasnt been show, but the vehicle being talked about has an insane, laughable short world map range

winterwerefox fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Nov 20, 2022

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022
File 3: The Form of The Cults

*Begin Recording*
Sunny’s Log, January 18th 1997 to March 1st
Sorry to condense so much time into such a short log but we’ve started to hit a routine of sorts… From now on unless something particularly interesting happens I’ll be skipping over our missions. For the most part, they all end one of two ways, with a suspect being stunned and taken in for questioning, or with the suspect being killed.

I was on medical leave for about a week and a half after getting shot in the storage yard. I felt anxious and determined to get back in the field but I couldn’t do anything. The commander gave me an offer though. He’d put me to work filing paperwork and running odd jobs around the base. I agreed of course. Part of me wishes I didn’t, my hands felt like they were going to fall off by the third day. But I learned a lot working with our documents and stuff. For example, Land Surveys.

This group we are connected with, “The Council” I don’t know what they are but apparently they have connections all over the world. In exchange for payment, we can get them to do land surveys for us, and we get the results back. We have to manually debrief them and unpack all of the findings but it can be worth it to see what crops up

I don’t know what to say about our findings. The corpses are interesting, they’re proof of… Something. Mutants? Cryptids? I know for a fact there are some big spiders but these were as large as a dog. That’s not natural. Sadly they’re going into cold storage for now. There were also some crates full of weapons, and something else that went into cold storage. I didn’t get to see what it was but looking at the box… made my skin crawl.

(I don’t know if I call this lucky or not. On one hand, we got an extremely late-game corpse here. On the other hand, I’m not sure we can do anything with it yet.)

This month our focus was on getting our hands on Kevlar Vests. We had to fill out a metric ton of paperwork, though I’m happy to say that progress was made. And as it turned out the Leather Coats were being helpful already.

Badger got shot twice in one mission and came out on the other side okay. It could have been worse but he took cover and the Coat took the worst of it

(Given the way damage variance works, it's entirely possible this would have killed him)

Sam got in a shootout with someone at point-blank range, it become more of a wrestling match than a gunfight at some point, but she managed to outwrestle them

This one sounded scary as hell. Dak went out into the frozen wastes with someone, Jane Kane I think. And they came across something that definitely wasn’t natural. We’ve given the creature the designation of Reaper

The creature charged them as they opened fire, and it made it all the way to point-blank range before it passed out from its wounds.

Sadly there was no way for them to bring it back to base. They heard something else stomping around and the cleanup crew refused to come. They couldn’t find the second beast and had to leave the body behind

Overall I’d say our crew was doing really well. Outside of three agents on medical leave, one of them being me. We were doing great.

And to make things better, this is when the Kevlar Vests came in.

Kevlar vests are a must for any mission involving human enemies and guns. It’ll protect us from forward gunfire to a certain degree anyways. Although we decided that they aren’t the best for missions with monsters, for a reason you’ll see shortly

This one isn’t important I just thought it was funny. This EXALT guy tried to sneak up on Nick Danger and missed every single shot. Nick, blew him away with his shotgun and then got the other guy with a taser.

This one is kind of important. We’ve been having a lot of trouble taking in monsters with the Mongorns and the reaper. Jane Kane managed to get us a corpse from one of these beasties

As you probably expect it’s a giant Cobra, specifically a giant Cobra that can spit acid at quite a range. This would have been extremely bad for Kane except, for one thing, the leather coat.

Even as the cobra landed two big splashes of acid across his body the Leather Coat stood firm and resisted the attack. That, plus the increased maneuverability with the Leather Coat has the higher-ups thinking that it’s going to be the armor of choice for creature missions.

The nations who founded us are pleased. Universally pleased. Pleased enough to give us another 136 thousand dollars this month. Honestly looking at the price tag there I was in awe. They’re limiting us to Civilian class weaponry anyone can buy from a store, but they’re willing to shell out over a million dollars? We aren’t working on a shoestring budget at all and yet our resources are choked.

This is the start of February and… a lot of missions around this time were routine. No joke we just kept taking in members of each cult, no one died, a few people got hurt. It’s amazing that somehow fighting the dark corners of humanity got boring enough that I could say “routine”

That said there were plenty of developments in other areas. The Intel Officer put together an operations team and they managed to start putting research into a bunch of interesting fields

Sorry for skipping past February so fast but… there wasn’t a lot that happened to be honest. The one interesting event that happened in a mission is that while investigating an establishment Dak tried to go through the back way and got knocked out with a baseball bat.

Don’t worry though. He’s fine now

Outside of that February was nice and easy for us. We kept catching more and more members of these groups and the funding nations are once again rewarding us. We managed to put together some dossiers on the Cults, I'm saving those for the end though.

One final thing to note before I report on our Cult findings, we have started construction on an Information Center which will help us keep ahead of the curve. It has cells for interrogation as well as an office for paperwork (the HQ has been incredibly crowded up until now with people working on various projects. Now the Intelligence agents at least can go elsewhere)

Without further ado, our Cult enemies.

The Church of Dagon is set up primarily in Europe and Africa. They seem to worship some kind of deep-sea entity which they claim is all-powerful and needs to be fed. Apparently, they will occasionally go on massacres specifically to feed Dagon. We don’t know much about their inner workings or their battle tactics, but the rank and file seem like relatively normal people.

Black Lotus is primarily set up in South East Asia and worships an entity called the “Goddess Of Dawn.” We don’t know what their goal is exactly but we know that they are very powerful and wealthy, with hands in several extremely profitable endeavors. Again, we don’t know much about their inner workings or battle tactics, but they seem to have a preference for low-tech weapons like throwing knives

Red Dawn is primarily in the region surrounding Russia in Northern Asia. There’s no worship with these guys, they’re a full-on paramilitary organization that stole advanced tech and then went underground. Even their rank-and-file soldiers show some evidence of having been modified, although we aren’t sure as to the extent. I expect the higher tiers of theirs will have more military class weaponry

EXALT lies in the Americas and is a hidden organization that has very strong ties to the criminal underworld. One of their primary trade goods is something called Psiclone, which we haven’t managed to get a sample of yet but we’ve been told it’s a device that has psychoactive effects. Most likely alien in origin.

That's all I have right now. I don't know if March is going to shape up to be more interesting or not, but with the completion of the Information Center later this month, I think we can expect our red tape to decrease rapidly in the future. And I think the Quartermaster is talking about getting us new guns soon.

This is Captain Sunny, signing off
*End Recording*

LPer notes

I'm really sorry at how little content there actually is this update but. There's only so many times I can try and make a story out of fighting 2 of the absolute weakest members of each cult. I've been doing nothing for the past in-game month and a half but mow those losers down. Worry not, as we research into the cults and start fighting them in earnest things will get much spicier.

That mission with the reaper was my luck going back and forth between good and bad. I fully expected to die, because a reaper killed 2 of my men in a practice file, but it went down somehow. If I could find and kill the other monster (which was probably also a reaper) I would have two alien corpses before we even start fighting the aliens in earnest. But due to a tide of bad luck that wasn’t happening.

Those ice flow/tundra maps like to have bodies of water in them that we can not pass, and neither can the enemy. So what I think happened is that the second reaper was separated from us by bodies of water and hidden by the dark. If I had more flares maybe I could have found it but... bleh

The end result is I got 40 points, the soldiers got EXP, and the reaper's corpse was left in the tundra. If it was a small enemy I would have picked it up and dragged it back to the car but, it’s a 2x2 so I couldn’t do that

Gameplay Corner

Let’s talk about weapon statistics, using the Colt as reference material. The first page on any weapon shows us it’s weight, the power and damage type of it’s ammo, the accuracy of its attack types, and how many Time Units it takes to use them. One thing to note, damage varies from 0% to 200%, so the Colt's damage goes from 0-60. However, there are other weapon statistics that aren’t shown on the first page, that’s what the info button is for. And if you click that…

It reveals a bunch of other stuff. Namely, range, how much accuracy drops per tile over your max, how large of an accuracy bonus kneeling gives you, if it can be used one-handed, how much of a penalty there is for using it one-handed if it has a CQC penalty, and some miscellaneous stuff like it’s price and if it qualifies as concealable, human tech, a pistol, and so on. Most of this stuff can be identified mostly by the weapon’s class. As a pistol, the Colt has a middling range but accuracy drops slowly for each tile above max instead of suddenly dropping. It can be used one-handed with no penalty, and kneeling doesn’t increase its accuracy very much

Speaking of weapon classes let’s talk about pistols. Pistols are always going to be useful because they can be used one-handed, can fit in the quickdraw slot, and some of them are small enough to fit into whatever slot you want, like the Snubnose pistol. They have middle-of-the-road range, accuracy, and power, but can be fired quickly and relatively accurately at short to mid-range. I always give someone a pistol as a sidearm, because if they miss a shot with their primary weapon or run low on ammo and still have enemies to fight, they may still have enough TUs to quickdraw their pistol and fire again. Pistols are also good CQC weaponry since they don’t give you a penalty in a gun struggle.

I guess I should explain CQC as well. Basically, if you fire a gun in melee range the two combatants roll the dice using their melee stats to see if the shooter can fire without the defender redirecting the gun's barrel in a random direction. On one hand earlier we saw Sam win a CQC match and shoot her opponent. On the other hand fear of this is what got Achmed killed. I could have tried to shoot the enemy point blank but I was terrified he would lose the CQC and be at the enemy’s mercy. But by walking away I triggered a retaliation anyways...

Now on the subject of interceptors and soldier carriers, we have the Public Car. The Public Car is what we start the game with and it’s fast, affordable, and can reach any corner of the earth. It can only carry two soldiers which is pretty sad, but the other benefits are pretty great. Also as a normal vehicle, it can be used for undercover missions. The only other vehicle we possess right now is… not so good

The mudranger can carry a full squadron of soldiers into battle. That is its only benefit. Outside of that, it’s slow, it has an extremely low max range, and it’s expensive. “But we’re in Europe,” you think “surely there’s plenty of missions in range since we’re basically in the Church of Dagon and Red Dawn’s backyard.” You would think that but sadly for us… This is the max range of the Mudranger. I sent this Mudranger as far as it could go, and once it had to return to base I immediately took a screenshot

Pathetic

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022
It occurs to me I could have put this in the post itself but... Oh well. I have two things for you to poll on/decide.

1. While we will eventually be fighting each of these cults, and will need to engage with all of them Which Cult do you want to focus our efforts on? I will say, EXALT will be difficult to deal with because it is on the other side of the world. I would say that the Church of Dagon is probably the easiest cult, while Red Dawn might be the hardest. If you want to see some of what we can get from the cults, feel free to take a look. Another thing to take note of is, The more... cultlike cults have ties in the unnatural, while the more militaristic cults have hyper-advanced tech on their side. Food for thought

2. Going forward we will be capable of performing undercover missions in which we are stripped of most of our gear and forced to fight while under armed. However, completion of undercover missions usually have excellent rewards, and the successful agents get a medal. You can opt-in or out of undercover missions if you want. If enough people say yes, I'll just use my normal soldier rotation for these missions

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

High chance of death? Sounds like my kind of gig. Yes.

Enemies with technology means technology we can steal. It's hard to steal 'being-a-gigantic-fish-monster'. Fight Red Dawn.

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
Black Lotus seems like an interesting first thing to focus on, my vote's for them. And yes to undercover missions, could always use more sweet loot and information.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Black Lotus

Nick Danger says no to cover ops - but suggests Joanna Dark participate

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Dagonites tend to have some decent weapons while also not being too hard. They also dress like green KKK guys. I say we go fishing.

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022
Also while we're talking about undercover missions I have a story to share. Once I had a mission that was the worst-case scenario in all kinds of ways. Most of my people were using trash weapons against people with proper rifles. But I had a secret weapon. A mighty sword to smite the darkness.

A crossbow

It worked out surprisingly well all things considered.

I fully intend to have at least one undercover mission go in with no guns. For the meme

glwgameplayer fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Nov 20, 2022

WizardOfWhispers
Jul 21, 2022
The creepy fish cult is literally down the road from your base, and is probably the one most connected to all the weird monsters - so The Cult of Dagon must fall!

And if you have a game with secret societies and cults that supports undercover missions, it'd be a crime to skip them. Wizard volunteers for undercover work!

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I have to support that, just appearing before some cultists and refusing to be called anything other than the Wizard of Whispers is bound to get things moving.

Granted things might move in the direction of being chained to a lump of concrete and dropped on the lake floor but that's a risk X-COM must be prepared to take!

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Yes undercover, no paid vacations Not all undercover missions are created equal.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

:ghost:

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Could you dorf me as an agent? titty baby and the most dangerous or irrelevant position u can put me in. undercover in any drug themed cults would be cool

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Man is the slang "dorf me" left over from the days of Dwarf Fortress succession LPs?

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016
If you don't coddle Nazis flat Earthers then you're literally as bad as them.
Sign Dire Lemming up as an undercover agent and I vote Church of Dagon.

Also you mentioned in a earlier update having to run around fences, in a recent OpenXcom Extended version they added the ability to hit obstacles with melee attacks. So if you have a knife or a flashlight or something you can just run up to fences and smash them. Or hack through a wall with an axe, or even your bare hands if an agent is strong enough.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

If there's need of any more undercover agents, I propose myself. But I too support taking down the cult nearest to us, Dagon. They haven't been punished enough for taking the Ark of the Covenant!

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

All the strangeness this mod adds and not one 'vengeful revenant' soldier option, sorry buddy.

IceMole
Aug 1, 2009
If Dagon's the easiest, you might as well start with them. No need to make things more unpleasant then they need to be in XCom.

And I guess I'll opt-in for undercover missions. Dying as a wannabe secret seems slightly preferable to dying as some random soldier.

ChaosDragon
Jul 13, 2014
Do what ever comes first sure to undercover mission.

samcarsten
Sep 13, 2022

by vyelkin
Dorf me. Ivan and give me a Mosin

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015
Might as well throw my hat into the ring.

Agent G255 (Obviously a codename), Sniper/Sharpshooter....after he gets some training done and the appropriate gear.

As for the cults, I have no strong feelings on who we tackle, though I will have him abstain...for now.

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022

titty_baby_ posted:

Could you dorf me as an agent? titty baby and the most dangerous or irrelevant position u can put me in.

How do you feel about being our resident Ninja? As in, I give you a bunch of Black Lotus gear like throwing knives. Because that is definitely the most dangerous position I can put you in

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

glwgameplayer posted:

How do you feel about being our resident Ninja? As in, I give you a bunch of Black Lotus gear like throwing knives. Because that is definitely the most dangerous position I can put you in

Hell yeah

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
The thing about the Cults are that they're all dangerous in different ways.

Red Dawn has a lot of potent Soviet tech so they're nasty to fight early on but at the same time they're a nice way to get a bunch of solid gear.

EXALT is similar in that it has also good gear but in mostly western tech instead.

Black Lotus mostly concentrate on melee and throwing weapons with some guns but they have some nasty tricks up their sleeves so I find them quite a bit harder than most.

Cult of Dagon is sort of a mix between Red Dawn and Black Lotus in terms of weaponry so they are usually pretty good to start with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
I always find black lotus the hardest myself, mostly because of those damned cloaked assassins.