Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022

The Lone Badger posted:

But what about... ninja dogs?

Sadly there isn't a transformation for Ninja Dogs. But there is another transformation for dogs we'll get later.

For some reason, the Tactical Neural Implants are listed in Technology instead of in Training and Transformations, so give me a moment and I'll add that to the list

Also, I'm sure you've noticed that most of our transformations come from the enemy Cults we've been fighting. And I can happily confirm that once we're done kicking the Syndicate and Cyberweb to the curb, we'll get something from them too. Multiple somethings actually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015
Are the transformations able to be stacked on top of each other? I imagine the sanity loss would make that a bad idea to do so, though.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Gilgamesh255 posted:

Are the transformations able to be stacked on top of each other? I imagine the sanity loss would make that a bad idea to do so, though.

Some are, but others close off avenues. Sanity is the main limiting factor.

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022

Gilgamesh255 posted:

All transformations can only be done once per agent to my knowledge. Outside of that, unless a transformation directly states that it disallows other transformations (such as Blood Boosting) they can be stacked with one another. For example, Titty Baby has undergone Combat Pilot Training, Bio Enhancement, and Martial Arts Training, and is probably next in line for a Tactical Neural Implant. They are what collectively makes them such a terror with melee weapons.

But yes stacking too many transformations on one character is a bad idea because of the cost, the time spent not fighting, and the potential sanity damage. Titty Baby is eating a -20 Sanity from Bio Enhancement and the TNI. They will manage due to their high sanity (Most of our elites have 100 or more sanity.) Rookies don't have that kind of mental endurance. They would have to cut their teeth in battle and build some resilience first

There is a "capstone" transformation which can only be performed if the agent has undertaken 4 other transformations. And we have every single piece except for the capstone itself. But we'll have the capstone soon.

Soon.....

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Basically, agents in Files start off way weaker than Piratez units but I find over time they just become completely insane with the transformations and the Commendations being near uniformly positive.

Sanity becomes an issue with some specific mission types. Longer underwater missions will brutalize it, for instance. Also, some psi powers cost Sanity.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
We're currently in a really good spot, we've got extremely good armor capable of actually protecting us for the stage we're at, decent weaponry for all kinds of threats as well as well-trained troops.

Now could possibly go wrong? :unsmigghh:

(also, how far away am I from getting sent to the great Hangar in the Skies?)

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I just remembered I signed up and I'm noticing I'm not in any missions so now I get to look for where I died lmao

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022

Koorisch posted:

We're currently in a really good spot, we've got extremely good armor capable of actually protecting us for the stage we're at, decent weaponry for all kinds of threats as well as well-trained troops.

Now could possibly go wrong? :unsmigghh:

(also, how far away am I from getting sent to the great Hangar in the Skies?)

It’s weird fighting an enemy we’re on par with instead of being much stronger or weaker than.

Dak Thornson and Burnt Toast are in line before you. Unless someone gets shot down it will be a while before you go into the great hangar.

verbal enema posted:

I just remembered I signed up and I'm noticing I'm not in any missions so now I get to look for where I died lmao

If you aren’t sure, I do update Page 1 with info on who is in what base and who died. Although I neglected to mark when they died. Maybe I should do that

Also I uh. Don’t remember what your character’s name was off the top of my head, or I could check the game’s memorial

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
All I know is I was insistent on having my char use SMGs lol

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
I believe your agent would be Agent Verbal, looks like they died somewhere in the middle of the campaign by the looks of the memorial list?

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022

verbal enema posted:

All I know is I was insistent on having my char use SMGs lol

Found it. File 17: Potential Unleashed. You were killed by a grenade in an EXALT base assault

Maybe I should go back and add when and how people died to the memorial. It will be easy since the game’s memorial keeps those records too.

glwgameplayer fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Sep 30, 2023

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Sanity is indeed the limiting factor on how many transformations you can feasibly give a single soldier, and in my game I avoid giving a solider a sanity-reducing transformation unless their current max sanity is 95 or higher.

One of the nice things about training Sanity, though, is unlike the primary skills of Reactions, Firing Accuracy, Throwing Accuracy, and Melee Accuracy, you only need to succeed one experience-earning action in battle to qualify for the maximum possible stat gain. The primary skills need to succeed multiple times in order to boost the potential stat gains: Reactions requires the unit to perform a reaction attack (it doesn't need to hit the target to count), Firing Accuracy requires a hostile target to be hit with a ranged attack, Throwing Accuracy requires a hostile target to be affected by a thrown weapon, and Melee Accuracy requires a hostile target to be struck with a melee action. The game tracks how many each of these has happened during a mission, and the max stat rolls cap at 11 times for each skill, though hitting 11 will not guarantee you get the maximum possible gains in the stat.

Sanity can also be gained from a bunch of medals, which is helpful in offsetting some of the penalties from transformations.

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022

Neurion posted:

Sanity is indeed the limiting factor on how many transformations you can feasibly give a single soldier, and in my game I avoid giving a solider a sanity-reducing transformation unless their current max sanity is 95 or higher.

One of the nice things about training Sanity, though, is unlike the primary skills of Reactions, Firing Accuracy, Throwing Accuracy, and Melee Accuracy, you only need to succeed one experience-earning action in battle to qualify for the maximum possible stat gain. The primary skills need to succeed multiple times in order to boost the potential stat gains: Reactions requires the unit to perform a reaction attack (it doesn't need to hit the target to count), Firing Accuracy requires a hostile target to be hit with a ranged attack, Throwing Accuracy requires a hostile target to be affected by a thrown weapon, and Melee Accuracy requires a hostile target to be struck with a melee action. The game tracks how many each of these has happened during a mission, and the max stat rolls cap at 11 times for each skill, though hitting 11 will not guarantee you get the maximum possible gains in the stat.

I’m a bit looser with my Sanity, I’m willing to let them dip to 70 or so, as long as the transformation is one I deem important. And thankfully most of the ones I like don’t actually cost much sanity.

Also, that thing with stat gains is another reason why I like small melee weapons like knives and the Black Ops Smartguns. Lighter melee weapons cost less stamina and Time Units and the Smartgun fires multiple bullets, all of which count for Firing Accuracy gains

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

If I remember right, there are 3-4 capstone transformations for human agents. One benefits blood boosting to make your own zombie lord soldiers who can be revived if killed in the field and the body recovered. leaning heavy into the physical side of enhancements. It slams psi power in the dick, its a real risk, but makes them strong enough to pull off some sick things with extremely weight heavy or strength based gear. Then there is training/psi that was mentioned following up with martial arts and that tree. the last I think was cybernetics, and getting a cyber body replacement to use the heaviest power armors.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Regarding Syndic units and potential related spoilers, I'll only say that their resistance to kinetic weapons doesn't apply to Gauss, which I've found excellent against those problematic with other weapons. Of course, there's the trivial matter of having enough gauss guns/ammo in the first place, but hey.

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011

Pierzak posted:

Regarding Syndic units and potential related spoilers, I'll only say that their resistance to kinetic weapons doesn't apply to Gauss, which I've found excellent against those problematic with other weapons. Of course, there's the trivial matter of having enough gauss guns/ammo in the first place, but hey.

At least gauss ammo doesn't require any rare materials to make, just time and effort

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Well gauss tech is not described as a kinetic damage weapon in TFTD.

quote:

The anti-proton stream is confined inside a Gallium Arsenide shell that implodes on impact releasing the anti-matter.
this description makes the heavy plasma sound so awesome.

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022
File 41: Repelling The Syndicate.
*Begin Recording*
Crosswire’s Log: March 9th to March 15th.

Hi, my name’s Crosswire. I was a member of the Weasel Bunker crew until we packed up and moved to Rat Hill.

See, we got tired of training and working out and training, being called out every so often to deal with a wild Spikeboar or something. So we packed up and moved to Rat Hill. But since the commander is lazy when it comes to record-keeping, he stuck us with writing a report. We drew straws, and I was the loser.

I don’t mind though. Weasel Bunker was super behind on information, so this is a good way to catch up on all the freaks we’ve been fighting. Well, Rat Hill has been fighting and we’ve been not in a position to engage.

The list of people who moved to Rat Hill is me, thatbastardken, Idhrendur, Dr.Gee, and Cheese Thief. Like I said, we’ve been stuck in Weasel Bunker for a while so we are itching to cut our teeth on some real opponents. That sounds mildly insane when I say it like that.

Anyway, I’ve got all these files in front of me. Looks like the first one is about the Mongorn King. Somehow the “King” is bigger, stronger, more aggressive, and more intelligent. The other Mongorns are basically just animals but this one seems to have a basic understanding of concepts like art and tool use. Communication still isn’t possible though

We also got lucky and shot down a small scout right next to Rat Hill. It was a small scout though so, it wasn’t worth much

(I just insta cleared this one. Why would I waste my time on a single enemy?)

The Bloodhounds this technique is based on are very… Bioweapon like. Literally grown in vats to be used and sold. While it would be awesome to have a bloodthirsty animal companion at our beck and call, just using some of their techniques to enhance our current canine companions seems better.

To be fair to these “Supersoldiers” they are statistically superior to almost any normal soldier, even the elites. But also our agents, specifically the ones with Bio Enhancement and a year or more of experience can eat these guys alive. They’re dangerous of course, a strike force could absolutely decimate a normal military base. But against us? Not good enough.

Also they have a connection to Black Ops and have given us information about an awesome assault cannon. Which we can now buy from Black Ops.

The old guard from Rat Hill got one final mission before we got there, something about an underground village? Scorpion men? Something like that

(Just needed a Scorpoid Chief and was unwilling to take risks. I almost got one the first time but got an unlucky kill due to a punch)

Kangaroo Cave fended off another Syndicate retaliation. I don’t know why they bother when their aircraft is clearly so much worse than ours.

And then from an alien- What? We had an Alien Hybrid in our prison cells? Since when?! Anyway… from an Alien Hybrid, we managed to pry a little info on Alien Bases. There isn’t an alien base on Earth that we know of, but according to this such a thing is possible, and alien activity will spike during construction and afterward.

Remember what I said about the Syndicate having connections to Black Ops? Turns out that Black Ops is working under, or at least adjacent to the Syndicate in producing all of their combat gear. We could use this information to damage or even destroy them. Instead, we’re using it to make them work for us. I approve of this creative application of political force.

(What this specifically does is allow us to make Tritanium Clips for Black Ops weapons. Which might actually be worth it for the Smartgun since 2 Alien Alloys produces 40 bullets.)

We also got to debrief the Council Commissioner who was rescued before I arrived, and for some reason, they told us about an actress that was supposedly a Hybrid in disguise. That was basically worthless other than giving us another dossier, but the Commissioner also let some info slip about the Council itself.

My response when this alert went out, and out teams were initially getting suited up for this mission was something along the lines of “The Syndicate is doing loving what?!” But yes, M.A.G.M.A. Has an experimental reactor, and The Syndicate is trying to destroy it and cause immense damage.

I would have been willing to pass this onto the Elites considering the high stakes but uh…

(This is what happens when you run mission after mission back to back.)

Oh well, a trial by fire never hurt anyone. Let’s go fight The Syndicate inside of a massive reactor. I feel like I should be nervous about this.

Aces High: I miss my tank body. On the bright side, I have a rocket launcher.

Burnt Toast: Alright let’s split up, half of us go that one, half of us go the other.
Cheese Thief: How do we decide who goes where?
Crosswire: Who cares?

George Gieff: Oh thank god that missed.
Crosswire: Yeah that might have been bad.

Thatbastardken: The M.A.G.M.A. security guard just brutalized that guy with a grenade launcher.
Cheese Thief: How come these guys are so much stronger than the Council’s guards?

George Gieff: Hey! Be careful with that thing!
Crosswire: Sorry.

Crosswire: We uh, aren’t held accountable for any damage to the facility are we?
G255: Thankfully we’re not. But it still doesn’t look good if we level this place while fighting in it.

Crosswire: Ah the UAC Rocket Launcher. Name a more incredible weapon.
G255: Tactical Sniper Rifle
Crosswire: Ehh… I guess?

Thatbastardken: OPEN FIRE!
Cheese Thief: AHHHHHHHH!
Drake Sherrin: Good job guys. Maybe you should spray and pray a little bit less

Thatbastardken: I’m… fine?
Cheese Thief: drat. Cyber Armor is nobody’s fool.
Drake Sherrin: That guy’s a fool for jumping down here. You guys take care of him at your own leisure.

Idhrendur: Let me take care of that for you.
Thatbastardken: Thanks man.

Detective Gumshoe: Huh. I wonder what this room is used for. I think this is like, a power station or something? Maybe it stores power and stuff.
Crosswire: Stop detecting and get out here!

G255: We’ve got 3 enemies, two on the scaffolding above us and one on the ground floor. Take a moment to prepare and we’ll take them out.
George Gieff: Makes sense chief.
Detective Gumshoe: You mean makes sense Gieff!

Aces High: I have destroyed the floor below that Minotaur, but it is still alive. Kill it or take evasive action

Gridlocked: I see a bunch of Supersoldiers on the scaffolding up here. They’re fighting a M.A.G.M.A. Security guy.

Lynneth: I may have accidentally set a very large portion of the reactor on fire.
Drake Sherrin: Look I know we aren’t being penalized for this but, can you guys please at least try and keep collateral damage down?

Lynneth: Rocket! Watch out!
Cheese Thief: Oww!

G255: Ouch.
Crosswire:... That’s it? You were standing on a grenade and you just go “ouch”
G255: Yeah, it didn’t hurt that bad.

Thatbastardken: I’ll admit, it’s a little scary watching these guys take like, 10 bullets to the chest and keep going.

Crosswire: One of the guys on the scaffold is gone, the guy on the ground is still an issue.
G255: Not anymore. I gotta dip for a second though, see if the Doc can’t help me with this grenade wound.

Aces High: I destroyed the scaffold he was standing on, he should be vulnerable
Cheese Thief: Alrighty!

Cheese Thief: Uh…
Drake Sherrin: -sigh-

Idhrendur: Sorry Drake
Drake Sherrin: Look it’s fine just please don’t do it again!

Drake Sherrin: Fuckin-
Idhrendur: You said it was fine!
Drake Sherrin: I also said not to do it again!

Lynneth: I marked the enemy with the rocket launcher.
Drake Sherrin: How did you do that exactly?
Lynneth: He’s the one who’s on fire.

Dr. Gee: I haven’t gotten to see much action, I’m moving up-
Syndicate Supersoldier: We surrender!
Dr Gee: Huh?

I’ll admit I was a bit surprised that they gave up that fast. I mean, we were fighting for like, 5 minutes. We were creaming them though, and only two of the M.A.G.M.A Guards even died. So I understand why they would surrender

(Look at those gains!)

No joke, we make it back home and kick our feet up for like, 2 hours. The Syndicate is now attacking a military archive in Antarctica. We gotta set out again right now.

This research was finished while we were in flight. It’s just another look at those alien drones. The same ones that we can stuff our AI units into. Most of the tech is human aside from the laser guns and the anti-grav module.

One of the Cyberweb goons we interrogated told us about the specifics of their “Cyber Skin” augmentation. Literally placing metallic wires under a person’s skin to improve their resistance to damage. But there are a lot of secondary requirements that we can’t really do anything with.

(This is a secret tool that will help us later)

We also researched some Terramite recovered from the uh… -shuffles paper- Crocs? From months ago? Apparently, it’s a dense alternative version of Tritanium. Although we don’t really have any way to use it

(This is a not-so-secret tool that won’t help us later)

Also, the Chemthrower, which I’m sure you can figure out the uses of. I’m not super into the idea of spraying pesticides at an enemy from like, 10-20 ft away, especially if we have to wear special equipment to keep from poisoning ourselves

Yes, all of those projects were finished while we were flying towards our mission site. We have A LOT of scientists split between our bases. But now it’s time to take on the Syndicate in the Military Archives.

Lynneth: I see an entryway north of our position. I took out the guard. We’ve got quite a hike ahead of us though.

Koorisch: I hope the soldiers at this base can hold out for a bit while we hike to the entry point.

(Those two black squares in the top right are where we have to go to drop into the base. That is about 2 turns of sprinting away. So the first two turns are just spent moving closer)

Dr. Gee: Why me?!

Burnt Toast: Out of our way!

Koorisch: It’s drat near impossible to see down there, but there are at least 3 Syndicate goons, and I think I saw a Minotaur too.
Crosswire: I’m prioritizing the one with the Rocket Launcher

(There’s no satisfying way to show it in pictures, but everyone takes turns shooting down the hole into the darkness, and collectively we kill about 5 Syndicate goons and a Minotaur.)

Detective Gumshoe: Why are these Minotaur specifically so scary?
Burnt Toast: Lots of conditioning and bioengineering. Also, they take lots of bullets to kill

Crosswire: Two rockets and the Minotaur isn’t dead yet. I think it’s on its last legs though. Is anyone brave enough to drop down?

Idhrendur: I’m going in!

Koorisch: You guys looked like you could use some help!
Detective Gumshoe: Thanks! We appreciate it, pal!

Grenade Baby: There’s a bunch of enemies down this hallway!
Crosswire: Looks like a good spot for a rocket!

Crosswire: Whoops.

Dr. Gee: AHHHHhhhh wait he’s dead already? Maybe the soldiers here softened him up or something.

Syndicate Security: I was supposed to be a security guard! I’m not supposed to fight people like this!

I think the Syndicate might be cowards. Or at least their combat team isn’t used to fighting people on their level, or above. Once we put up enough of a fight they just scatter.

(gains gains gains)

Getting the Syndicate files figured out was really hard, not because the files were impossible to understand, but because they were mixed in with mountains of files on business dealings and stuff. But yeah, they are somehow responsible for creating some monster species and supporting others. To get to the bottom of it we’ve got to go to an abandoned Red Dawn base taken over by monstrous spiders.

Our job is awesome.

Usually, the Dossiers aren’t brought up. We get plenty of them from interrogations and they’re basically just passed off to our allies for a little boost in recognition and a pat on the back from the Council. This Dossier is important.

This motherfucker has been hiding from justice for actual decades and survived the destruction of Black Lotus despite training and teaching their assassins. This guy is a big deal, and we’re trying to track him down.

Also, M.A.G.M.A. heard about our Terramite and is trying to buy some off us. The Commander didn’t accept their earlier deals and I doubt he’ll accept this one either.

The Tritanium Foundry at Kangaroo Cave finished so we produced some Alien Alloys, I think this is enough to repair Aces High’s tank body, but of course we’ve gotta transfer it over here and blah blah. It will take a bit.

More Syndicate research that we tore out of their scientists. Not much to say, a Chupacabra is a weird gross hunter thing that can move super fast and is full of piss and vinegar. They can’t reproduce which is weird considering there’s apparently quite a number of them. That said, we did find some Cupacabra Embryos in the Syndicate monster lab…

Wearing snow-white Mongorn/Gorilla skin as a suit sounds a little messed up, but it is unironically the best organic/undercover-based armor we could get until we figured out durathread. If we had this back in the early days, this would have been the king of undercover protection.

Weasel Bunker’s Interceptor tried to take out a small UFO that was flying around, but the UFO was too fast for it to catch. We’ll need to upgrade our interceptor over there before it gets in a fight with something it can’t beat.

The Raven from Fox Den was sent to intercept but we lost sight of it. The Raven from Kangaroo Cave flew out to assist.

Sadly we didn’t find it, and we had to let the UFO go. But we did end up finding something else, something that might be even better.

After discovering that Black Ops worked for/alongside The Syndicate I’m sure everyone will be devastated to discover that there might be a link between UAC and the Cult of Apocalypse. Or just mildly annoyed that all of our seeming allies and seeming enemies end up linked together

More Syndicate Scientist interrogations turn up more info on monsters. Megascorpions are bigass scorpions. I’m sure this is shocking to everyone.

So, basically, we can use zombie parasites, chitin recovered from beetles and scorpions, and durathread to make our own little carapace armor plates. We can’t make a full suit, but we can make individual plates that can be fitted under regular armor, which is neat. It’s useful but kinda pricy for such a small boost in armor

So that’s it right? I’m done? I’m good? Great. I feel like I learned more than I was supposed to doing this report. That’s okay though, saves me the trouble of sneaking around learning it myself.

Yeah, I know that sounds suspicious. What can I say I’m too curious for my own good. We’re secret agents unraveling conspiracies, we should be rewarded for this kind of suspicious thinking.

… How do I turn this off exactly?

LPer Notes

The Syndicate was pretty dangerous when we first started battling them, and they are still dangerous. But I would argue that they are the enemy we are most suited to fight right now. They have high kinetic resistance and decent armor, but all of their weapons are earth-based, usually Black Ops grade weapons. They have a slight weakness to laser and plasma weapons.

After the initial raid of the Syndicate’s big skyscraper, they go into an aggressive mode and will go on the attack until you complete 3 missions. The Archive attack, the Reactor Raid, and the Council… Crush. Alliteration complete.

Anyway, after completing those missions and any research attached to them (The Council Commissioner and a Data Reel recovered from the archive and council missions) The Syndicate will chill back out, and you’ll have all the research you need to trigger the next phase against them. Even assuming a best-case scenario we’ll have to put up with the Syndicate for at least 2 more months. Although if we’re lucky we might be done with Cyberweb sooner than that.

I’m afraid March is going to take a bit longer to get through because it seems to be packed with a billion missions of every type, many of whom I can’t skip in good faith. We just had all these Syndicate missions back to back and coming up next is a Hybrid Embassy and a couple more things I won’t spoil.

The Terramite Deal is one we actually have to talk about. Terramite and Elerium Batteries are two technologies that we have/are working on right now. If we sell both of them to M.A.G.M.A For a total loss of -2000 points and two reasons for the Council to want our asses mounted on a wall, we get early access to Power Armor tech.

Power Armor is a huge suit of armor that costs $750,000, prevents sprinting and crouching, and doesn’t have a backpack. In exchange, it has an absolutely massive defense rating of 100 and will carry the first 40 weight of equipment for the soldier.

I don’t think it’s worth it, especially since there is only one prerequisite between us and our next armor upgrade. But if you somehow got this early, you could use this to make at least a couple of agents nigh unkillable.

The Armory

The Black Ops Assault Cannon is similar to the Smartgun in many ways but trades accuracy for power and a slightly lower firing rate. Firing 2 shots on a snapshot and having a 4 round auto shot is very good, but the accuracy trade is a bit risky. Also, it only has 20 rounds in a clip instead of the 40 for the Smartgun.

A low-accuracy auto shot weapon with a max range of 8 tiles that I’m pretty sure leaves behind poisonous clouds. I’m not a huge fan of this weapon, but I can see how it could be useful. Especially since it does Energy and Morale damage as well as HP damage.

The Mongorn Anzug is a suit of armor that is superior to suits and leather coats, but sadly weaker than the Bulletproof Coats we’ve started wearing. If we studied this earlier in the game this would have been an excellent stopgap until we got bulletproof coats and vests. Also, it improves bravery, sanity, and throwing accuracy for some reason.

I can see this being useful since most armor isn’t super resistant against concussive blows, and that’s the damage type of many melee attacks and sonic weapons. But it’s also hard to make, rare, and the boost in armor isn’t actually that high.

Dr_Gee
Apr 26, 2008
"Huh?"
"Why me?! :xcom:"

A++++++ accurate characterization would sign up to get exploded by a grenade again (and lived, too!)

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022

Dr_Gee posted:

"Huh?"
"Why me?! :xcom:"

A++++++ accurate characterization would sign up to get exploded by a grenade again (and lived, too!)

For what it's worth I was also very surprised when the Syndicate gave up because I was under the impression that their morale would somehow hold out the entire battle. But I forgot that in the mansion assault they were getting a steady stream of morale from killing our allies, while on the other missions they weren't.

Also, the enemy threw like, 3 grenades out of that hole. And the only one to hit anyone was the one thrown at you. :xcom:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
It's great watching these Syndic fuckmooks fold like a bad hand, and I'm enjoying Crosswire's rocket-happy characterization.

Should I ever perish in the line of duty for a second time, please consider the Gief Clan's artistic cousin, Georgia O'Gieffe.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

glwgameplayer posted:

For a total loss of -2000 points
You either misspelled "initial cost" or missed a zero or two in there. The 2000 points is not that harsh, the real bitch is the newly unlocked bad events that get spammed, disappear in the blink of an eye, cost 500 points, and repeat ad nauseam.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Sad to miss out on power armor. But if it means not facing it in the field...

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

One of the most hilarious parts of powersuits of any kind is just how hard a good melee unit punches in it. My best melee soldier had to start carrying an actual stun weapon simply because she kept caving peoples' skulls in with a power armor fist.

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022

Pierzak posted:

You either misspelled "initial cost" or missed a zero or two in there. The 2000 points is not that harsh, the real bitch is the newly unlocked bad events that get spammed, disappear in the blink of an eye, cost 500 points, and repeat ad nauseam.

I forgot about that, but yes that's also a good reason to not make the deal. I already knew about the 500-point penalty missions, but I've never personally tested them so I have no idea how rapidly they show up or how impossible they are to reach.

habituallyred posted:

Sad to miss out on power armor. But if it means not facing it in the field...

We are only 3 pieces of research away from getting our own form of power armor, so I'm not too torn up about it. If you were lucky enough to get access to the power armor early though, I could see you wanting it. The aforementioned score penalty is scary though.

Phy posted:

It's great watching these Syndic fuckmooks fold like a bad hand, and I'm enjoying Crosswire's rocket-happy characterization.

Crosswire is one of 3 soldiers I had made after some of my friends. I asked permission to make Crosswire the soldier a maniac and he was like "go for it."

I like fighting the Syndicate because they're probably closest to an enemy who is on our level at this point. The Aliens are scary and possess powers such as flight, plasma, and psychic attacks. Cyberweb and the underwater aliens like to fight us on their home turf where we have to use dive suits and hazmat suits. But the Syndicate (and cult of Apocalypse I guess) are just well-armed and armored humans with a touch of genetic manipulation on their highest-ranking troops. In a lot of ways, they aren't that different from us, aside from being on the wrong side.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The other issue with the power armor you get from MAGMA is that it slows the wearer. A lot.

On the plus side it can be equipped with a giant-rear end chainsaw. You won't hit anything with it, but if you do, they're dead as hell and it's cool.

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022

Night10194 posted:

The other issue with the power armor you get from MAGMA is that it slows the wearer. A lot.

Not being able to sprint or crouch doesn’t sound like a big issue but it penalizes both sniping weapons (who like to crouch for the accuracy bonus) and CQC weapons that rely on sprinting to close the gap.

There’s also probably a TU or accuracy penalty but I don’t remember for sure

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

Plus side, its strong enough to use the HMG

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Is there power-armour for dogs?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

glwgameplayer posted:

Not being able to sprint or crouch doesn’t sound like a big issue but it penalizes both sniping weapons (who like to crouch for the accuracy bonus) and CQC weapons that rely on sprinting to close the gap.

There’s also probably a TU or accuracy penalty but I don’t remember for sure
OTOH, power armors are pretty much custom built for heavy weapons (IIRC they have a negative weight to represent extra carrying power).

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The Lone Badger posted:

Is there power-armour for dogs?

There is a Crysis style Synth-Muscle Suit for them that while it doesnt bite or bark as hard as the cyberarmor, it ups their TUs by 20, Stamina by 30, and Melee by 15, armor in the 30s, and 33% of reactions as dodge vs melee, but bad resistances against exotic damage, taking extra damage in most cases vs lasers, plasma and such. The cyber armor the dogs are in now have stronger bites and barks, better resistances against exotics, comparable armor numbers, but the only stat boost is 20 reactions. Its melee dodge is 20% of reactions. Smoke is half as effective to the dogs lookers with 50% thermal vision in both suits.

Those two are the top of the dog gear lines as far as I know. A lucky Osiron Crate could have got the tech for the synth gear for dogs and soldiers long before cyber armor, Ive had it happen a few times. the big limiter is the synth-muscle material, but the tech line for the armors themselves is pretty short. The human version is your first 'power armor' in that it gives free 20 pts of strength, but cyberarmor have better resistances to most everything other than physical damage

winterwerefox fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Oct 7, 2023

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The real problem for Cyber Armor for humans, if it hasn't changed since I last played, is it had something like 10% Reactions Melee Dodge. So characters in Cyber Armor weren't dodging poo poo in melee, and Melee Dodge is actually a pretty important stat for melee.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Nice playing so far! Put me up as a reservist for when casualties mount enough you need more meatshields.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

Just found and caught up with this. Cool mod. LtSmash would like to join the navy X-Com! Gimme whatever role you need.

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022
Hi everyone. I've been taking an extended break from this LP as my brain space gets taken up by other things and projects. I just wanted to pop in because the anniversary of the LP starting was a day ago. I feel like 41 updates in a year is decent. Probably could have been better.

I may continue at one point or another but, I make no promises. I just got kinda tired and burned out, and my brain space started getting swarmed with other projects.

Also sorry for going dark for over a month.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Rest your weary garbage brain, we all must.

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015

glwgameplayer posted:

Hi everyone. I've been taking an extended break from this LP as my brain space gets taken up by other things and projects. I just wanted to pop in because the anniversary of the LP starting was a day ago. I feel like 41 updates in a year is decent. Probably could have been better.

I may continue at one point or another but, I make no promises. I just got kinda tired and burned out, and my brain space started getting swarmed with other projects.

Also sorry for going dark for over a month.

Hey, sometimes, we gotta take a break from things before we have the drive to do them again. Your health, physical and mental, comes first.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Take your time.

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011
Understood and entirely understandable. Take your time, get some rest. You've more than earned it.

Thanks for a great LP, regardless of whether you continue or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Take your time and rest. And whether or not you continue, it's been a fun read and we thank you for it.