Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Hey man have a good rest and be sure to take time to pet some animals

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
It's been a fun time, hope you feel better and return to this silly adventure into madness someday.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

for a mod that is this dense, I think burnout was more of a "when" not an "if", especially how much extra you poured in with the narrative. Don't worry, commander, the invasion won't get out of hand while you recover :)

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

Hey, i started playing again because of this LP, then remembered the two to four dudes in a car stage ended and there was so much more that started to feel like work. Take a break, its good for brain

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Take a break, thank you for this fun LP!

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.
Take good care of yourself!

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

winterwerefox posted:

Hey, i started playing again because of this LP, then remembered the two to four dudes in a car stage ended and there was so much more that started to feel like work. Take a break, its good for brain

Yeah, that aspect of both of the mondo-mods, this and piratez does sometimes put me off. There's just a ton of little things to get done, even if it's just like, an easy mission.

Amuys
Jan 2, 2017

Muuch Muuch
Fug

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

not necessarily trying to keep the thread alive, but my friends got really into Delta Green recently and I can't help but be reminded of this mod when we play.

While the density is kinda a bit much, I always liked that the mod creators basically decided to take a whole lot of conspiracies and gothic horror things and go "oh yeah, let's use this as the background for building the X-COM we all know and love"

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022
I feel like this mod got absolutely destroyed by Scope Creep, making the mod bigger and bigger without much of an underlying thread other than conspiracy and myth. But I can't deny it's still cool and does a lot of things that I really like.

Still not gonna archive this thread yet, I might come back to it, but I might not. I'll admit I have that classic issue of too many ideas and not enough effort to expend to do them. Making this my first LP was, definitely a terrible idea

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

You got pretty far, by lp standards at least. I appreciate your efforts.

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011

glwgameplayer posted:

I feel like this mod got absolutely destroyed by Scope Creep, making the mod bigger and bigger without much of an underlying thread other than conspiracy and myth. But I can't deny it's still cool and does a lot of things that I really like.

Still not gonna archive this thread yet, I might come back to it, but I might not. I'll admit I have that classic issue of too many ideas and not enough effort to expend to do them. Making this my first LP was, definitely a terrible idea

I think I speak for your entire audience when I say that even if it was a terrible idea you did an amazing job and we had a great time.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009

glwgameplayer posted:

It absolutely was a *big* project to pick as your first one, you did good though.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

glwgameplayer posted:

Truly you had ambition, and even if you don't complete it, you've learned plenty and gained experience. I look forward to whatever project you tackle next.

Also pleased that Gaspode the Wonder Dog managed to survive as long as he has.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I feel like 'give it a hell of a try and then give up eventually because the thing is insanely long and overstuffed' is the true X-COM Megamod experience, not a failure.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Night10194 posted:

I feel like 'give it a hell of a try and then give up eventually because the thing is insanely long and overstuffed' is the true X-COM Megamod experience, not a failure.

I've done the full run of each of the big two, and boy howdy, i'm not doin' that again.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Is there some equivalent of "put god mode on and speed-run to the end" you could do?

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

Night10194 posted:

Getting canceled right at the end of a season is also a great X-File the show reference.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Gort posted:

Is there some equivalent of "put god mode on and speed-run to the end" you could do?

I mean you can notepad yourself the techs and items needed. It's the best way to do the Conqueror grind in piratez, as opposed to playing the roughly 2 years of construction of various parts to get it done.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

habituallyred posted:

Getting canceled right at the end of a season is also a great X-File the show reference.

But we didn't have nearly enough sexaul tension between the agents.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

By popular demand posted:

But we didn't have nearly enough sexaul tension between the agents.

Speak for yourself

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022

Gort posted:

I could theoretically put everything I needed into our stores, give myself infinite money, and then resolve all battle scenarios with the Debug commands (which I started using extensively after the first year just to cut down on the number of random missions I had to do, and to end certain missions which were broken. Looking at you Vampire Castle. And your underground zombies)

I just kinda... don't want to cheat too hard, because then you wouldn't get a chance to see the agents fighting in actual danger, and watch the tech tree expand piece by piece.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.
You could always use MS Paint and your imagination for the tactical reports.

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

You could always use MS Paint and your imagination for the tactical reports.

I'm pretty sure there's an LP of a Star Wars Tie Fighter game that pretty much entirely consists of MS paint images rather than actual game play, and that managed to get archived. :v:

Edit: Yep, and just straight up titled "Tie Fighter," to boot. As glorious as I remember. :v: https://lparchive.org/Tie-Fighter/

Gilgamesh255 fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Feb 13, 2024

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

was exactly what I pictured after RBD made that post, a true classic Let's Play

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Just draw what you remember of the rest of the campaign in mspaint and with clipart, call it “budget cuts”, presto, instant lp

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Gilgamesh255 posted:

I'm pretty sure there's an LP of a Star Wars Tie Fighter game that pretty much entirely consists of MS paint images rather than actual game play, and that managed to get archived. :v:

Edit: Yep, and just straight up titled "Tie Fighter," to boot. As glorious as I remember. :v: https://lparchive.org/Tie-Fighter/

This is exactly what came to mind when RBD said to MS Paint the rest of the LP.

Someday I will make a 'proper' TIE Fighter LP. I have been working on my own external tools to allow me to play the game and consult the map/goals list without having to use the in-game map and goals screens and breaking up the flow of play. I just have terminal ADD brain and starting a new project (like an LP) seems like the most monumental task to ever exist.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
The 40k mod is pretty fun but also does suffer a bit from the whole doing missions all the time issue. But thats okay because 40k is a hyperfixation of mine and I can vaporize cultists for hours while mumbling "Die, heretic" under my breath.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

do an LP. We'd all like to see.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

glwgameplayer posted:

hey, you gave it a hell of a try. good LP.

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009
The early parts of the game, when there's a constantly escalating arsenal and escalating threats, is definitely the strongest. There's also some pressure on the science front to balance going deeper into the cult threats and developing better weapons and armor to survive those threats. Once the enemies shift to, say, Cyberweb and the Syndicate, to say nothing of the actual alien invasion, the enemies stop smoothly escalating (once you've fought one Syndicate trooper you've fought them all) and the weapons tend to plateau (smartguns! smartguns and smart rifles for everyone!).

Then you have plasma weapons a few months into the alien invasion, your guns are as good as they're ever going to get, the aliens are as dangerous as they'll ever be, and you still have 6+ months of research and waiting for a specific alien subtype to spawn to make incremental progress to the "end."

Meanwhile you start skipping Hybrid missions because they're boring and a waste of time, then you skip UFO assaults because you're swimming in more elerium and alloys than you can ever use, your researchers are filling out requisition forms for lack of literally anything else to do, and you start asking why you're still playing and either stop playing or start a new campaign to get back to the fun part.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

It's why I say even having the invasion is a mistake for the mod. This is a prequel. Have it end with X-COM established and ready to try to face what's coming.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Steelion posted:

Meanwhile you start skipping Hybrid missions because they're boring and a waste of time, then you skip UFO assaults because you're swimming in more elerium and alloys than you can ever use, your researchers are filling out requisition forms for lack of literally anything else to do, and you start asking why you're still playing and either stop playing or start a new campaign to get back to the fun part.

The design decision for alien engineers to have five relevant random researches and thirty-five researches that are 'heres a few points' made my only full playthrough a living hell. It's something similar to Piratez but Piratez at least notionally has a less linear tech tree (notionally, because they have these gate techs that ensure you're up in a few areas before you can proceed to new research lines that make the game much more linear than it actually appears).

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Been reading this LP on and off recently, and installed the mod as a consequence. And I want to affirm that the amount of LP you gave us is pretty goddamn impressive, because this is an absolutely gigantic mod that I can barely keep up with without also doing all the screenshotting, recording, and writing on top. Great stuff all around, informative and fun.

I would have liked to see you spread Lo Wo across the ground like tomato paste though, I did his mission a couple of days ago and he stealthed up to me in broad daylight, closed the last few tiles without proccing reaction fire, and promptly did some absolute anime bullshit and cut my light tank in half in one slice of his hanzo steel. It loving ruled.

Getting someone to a good level of ability with melee makes them unbelievably goddamn deadly. Grace Lam started out with middling stats except for above average melee accuracy and passable strength, but between training and experience she eventually qualified for transformations and after getting the martial arts one, I shoved her into one of my few synthsuits and upgraded her to a tritium sword. Now she moves around the battlefield like the goddamn Flash, cuts fools open, and literally cannot miss with her throwing stars because her accuracy with them is over 140%. And the best part? When I got access to everyone's psi ratings she was the first person I happened to check because being melee she's top of the roster, and I said "Holy gently caress" out loud because she has ninety-loving-nine Psi Strength. She's not only one of the most dangerous people in history, she's also a psionic demigod.

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Feb 26, 2024

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Some people are just born anime.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

And just wait until she becomes a Helix Knight!

The weirdest part of Files is that your units start much weaker than Piratez, but eventually, I think a veteran Agent is stronger than many Piratez units simply because they have most of the trainings and all the commendations are generally positive.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Night10194 posted:

And just wait until she becomes a Helix Knight!

The weirdest part of Files is that your units start much weaker than Piratez, but eventually, I think a veteran Agent is stronger than many Piratez units simply because they have most of the trainings and all the commendations are generally positive.

I've found agents tend to start Peasant-level (in piratez this is a normal human recruit, and they tend to start barely able to hold a sub machine gun) but they train up quickly to something reasonable, whereas Piratez units vary widely in capability. One of the benefits of the peasant revolution path is that you get a lot of free special recruits that start at a higher baseline. I don't think agents ever end up at fully-trained Uber gal levels of stats, nor the weird specials like the human hero or unipuma/annapuma type things, but they're still capable. Most of the negative commendations in piratez(that aren't the ones trying to discourage stunning civvies or punishing you for killing them) just affect their sanity equivalent, it's the fire one that goes nuts which makes incendiaries almost unusable, which is sad because firing FAE rockets is a fun way to wipe out the Nazi mansions.

There's just a lot fewer bullshit enemies and missions in files, though.

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022
The more I think about it the less I want to go back and try to finish. So I think I might make a final post to hand out statistics and stuff, cover what we didn’t see (that I know of) and then after a short period I’ll actually close this thread. I know I didn’t finish the game, but do you think it would still qualify for archival?

Also thanks for going on this journey with me everyone. My next LP, whenever I figure out what it’s going to be, will hopefully be smaller and easier for me to actually finish

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Sure, there's an old Civ 4 LP on there that was never finished. Just talk to Baldurk about it otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Ah, yeah. As much as I love this mod, it is so much, so so much, when it comes to scope creep. Still, I think you gave it a commendable effort!