Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I just checked this mod out and had a good laugh at all of the various art used for things. Some of which ibjad a similar reaction to Cythereal in a "...did you have to use THAT image specifically?" but so far it has been a fun time.

Because I'm a huge chicken I am only on easy difficulty but I've still lost an agent or two to a closet shotgun in the first month :xcom:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

do you have to research the weapons you get on missions, like in UFO Defense and TFTD? Or are you able to field all the AKs you find immediately and the research is just "filing the paperwork" so you can requisition more for a base?

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

been plugging away at my easy run and I am a couple research things away from promotion 1, but I am already getting "investigation" missions where I immediately have to bail because all the game will allow me to equip are the maglites and I spawn in front of several shotgun wielding enemies :stonk:

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

At first I thought it was someone in the mod team (assuming it isn't just one person) was Canadian and wanted to make that abundantly clear. But it also works with the conspiracy angle that works with X-COM. Nice that they realised that even an intact CF-105 doing everything it possibly could have, it would still be outclassed thanks to 4 decades of technological advances.

Also, I remember going to the Air and Space Museum in Ottawa and being absolutely floored by how loving big the Arrow would've been. I guess they put a Hornet nearby for a sense of scale and it absolutely dwarfs it.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Wow, I did not realise the Black Ops stuff was such a huge game changer. I have a whole stockpile because MiB agents keep showing up in Crop Circle and Mutilation missions, which is not fun because they are way deadlier than the farmers but I guess it's time to retire my AUGs and FALs

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

does that make it work like new XCOM where your late-game snipers can have over 150% accuracy (and then still miss shots because :xcom:)?

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

I have already discovered that there are some missions that pop up that you either cannot get to in time, or you are absolutely going to get turbo murdered if you do them such as late stage gang missions. I had the Black Lotus shrine one pop up and I had to abort because I had no way of defeating the Avatar :gonk:

Besides, I have found that the despawn penalties aren't such a big deal if you are doing the majority of the missions that pop up.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

I'll throw my name in to be an AI, I imagine we will have a few as the months/years progress

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

so they go about it the Robocop way, or the Weapon X route.

Also I remember when the Shambler first appeared when I was playing and my thought was "oh, so I wasn't going crazy when I thought I saw the Diablo 2 throwing knife model earlier. Yeah, sure, whatever"

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

kudos to the modders for just stacking Diablo assets together for making the Tomb Guardian :v:

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Mutant Headcrab posted:

In the 50s version, The Thing From Another World, the monster was weak to electricity.

that's because in the original novella, Who Goes There?, the dedicated anti-Thing weapon they develop with their supplies on hand (because it's the 1930s) is an electrically charged pitchfork

I realise now that I put my name forward for becoming an AI, but since they're essentially unkillable how many more would you build at this point?

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

glwgameplayer posted:

Oh I’m sorry I haven’t named you yet. I’d love to build more AI but I need a rare item to do it. If you’d like I can rename Vortex or Hydra to your name instead (since those are just the default names.)

I'll leave that decision up to you, I just wondered if maybe I should change to being a regular grunt or a dog, since there will be a lot more of them than AI

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Haha, well, based on my AV I would say whichever role is more bloodthirsty (so the tank, and then whatever murder machine that evolves into)

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

mmmm, I say we take the money, I'm sure we can do more interesting things with it now as opposed to a year from now

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

I say we go after the Zombies because a growing horde is never a great thing. We should also focus on the Deep Ones because I want to know how good their singing voices are :haw: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFzdIaBnckg

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

hahahahahaha, now I can mow down enemies with near impunity :black101:

until we do some alien missions and I eat one too many heavy plasma shots

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Panzeh posted:

One of the challenges when taking on guild cargo ships in that game is there's usually one crewman with a Davy Crockett. Any nuclear weapon being used on a map destroys all the glamour on it, of course. It is kinda satisfying using one on a Humanist (nazi) manor.

I know it's still the X-COM engine, but I am just imagining some fresh Rookie being given one of these and they still manage to fire it off like Volgin in MGS3

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

So what weapons do you need for making permanent changes to the landscape :v:

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

I'm sure my AI will be much happier going back to a HWP, trading maneuverability for gently caress-off ordinance is juuuuuust fine

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

glwgameplayer posted:

I hope you guys are looking forward to 50 pictures of a pink/red desert.

oh poo poo, the aliens are spreading red weed already? they work fast

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

them adding the underwater stuff feels like they didn't want to make a separate mod to specifically tackle Terror from the Deep, which sucks because TftD deserves more love in the XCOM resurgence.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

the art they use for some of the enemies just gets more and more hilarious, with that many quillboars spawned, I'd almost think one of them was a superunique and I was playing a very strange Diablo 2 mod. Also the Bloodhound is literally a Hell Hound from Blood

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

for a mod that is this dense, I think burnout was more of a "when" not an "if", especially how much extra you poured in with the narrative. Don't worry, commander, the invasion won't get out of hand while you recover :)

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

not necessarily trying to keep the thread alive, but my friends got really into Delta Green recently and I can't help but be reminded of this mod when we play.

While the density is kinda a bit much, I always liked that the mod creators basically decided to take a whole lot of conspiracies and gothic horror things and go "oh yeah, let's use this as the background for building the X-COM we all know and love"

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

was exactly what I pictured after RBD made that post, a true classic Let's Play

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

or, at the very least, make enough noise that some kind soul will save it in the wayback machine of the internet archive. There are a lot of OG LPs that are lost to the sands of time because of video hosts and image hosting sites shutting down, but some of them were rehosted on the internet archive, and some were saved as webpage screenshots in the wayback machine.

There are even LPs IN the LP Archive that were delisted because of that, like From Earth's Silent Hill LPs. HOWEVER, some Nostradamus-level people saved screenshots of the Archive updates over the years, and so that LP is still preserved, as long as the internet archive doesn't get shut down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

congrats on completing it in a way that you are happy with!

X-COM speedruns fascinate me because I cannot fathom how much planning needs to go in to routing, especially for ones like TFTD where you need to capture specific high-end enemies to further the story. I know that was there in UFO Defense as well, but TFTD is so much meaner, especially if you research things in the wrong order and gently caress things up (though I don't believe you can make the game unwinnable that way? You just get locked out of certain toys). So on top of all that, then you play on the hardest difficulties and still manage to win in the same amount of time it takes me to end the first encounter of a new playthrough.