Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Something Else
Dec 27, 2004

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
The Late Delegation (draft 2)
246 words

The last living human on planet Earth stretched across the blast zone to grasp two handfuls of irradiated dirt, croaked a whisper, and expired. Moments later, the saucer landed.

The Tau Ceti delegation unfurled itself onto the glowing sand, unwitting for all their pomp and finery. A six-legged dog-thing flashed a silvery cape while a lithe reptilian trilled a glorious song. Even the saucer itself seemed to join in the dance.

But their diplomat lord was most resplendent of all. Iridescent pants dangled off wide hips, and a hot pink blouse billowed around several shoulders. She somersaulted down to Earth with the confidence of the Milky Way's rotation, soaring on the promise of intergalactic harmony.

We remained silent. Finally, the diplomat cracked open her ninth eye, and saw us. Our broken backs, our crushed skulls, our burnt flesh, our wasted blood. Our endless need and our needless end. We had mangled each other while the aliens were touching up their make-up, and bled out while they were knocking on the door.

The diplomat bit one of her tongues. There was nothing more to say. It had happened so fast, and she was too late. A ritual bonfire guttering out in a pit. She curled in her many-knuckled hand, and the retinue scurried into the saucer.

As they drifted back out to the cosmos, the dog-thing issued a mournful howl. “I was looking forward to meeting them,” it whined. “I'll always wonder if we might've been friends.”

Something Else fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Nov 24, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Something Else
Dec 27, 2004

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Sitting Here posted:

Something Else

I'm torn on this piece because I really like it, but I think it kind of misses the mark on the prompt. What does it do well? It's a tiny story that packs in a lot of imagery. You imply a lot about the Tau Ceti aliens in very few words, and there's a genuine sense that if they'd arrived a little earlier, things might have been okay. But I'm not sure what I'm meant to feel at the end of the story. I certainly don't feel a sense of wonder, though the dog-like character literally wonders aloud whether the humans and Tau Cetians might have been friends. The problem is, I think, that the humans are all dead and the aliens are kind of just going about their business, so there isn't a character who gets to feel true wonder at any of it.

I was a bit confused by the POV. At first the story seems like it's in an omniscient POV, with the camera of the narrative pointing first at the last dying human and second at the arriving delegation of aliens. It's only in the 4th paragraph that the story shifts to I guess a first person POV, from the perspective of the dead human corpses. And then it goes back to an omniscient POV. That's not necessarily illegal or anything, but I was left feeling as though you could have grounded the narrative a little more in the 'we' of dead humanity. Maybe in doing that it would have been easier to transmit feelings of wonder.

Does it hit on the theme of wonder? As I said, not exaaaactly. But I think if you shifted the POV to include a little more of the dead humans' perspective (this is microfiction so we can take some poetic liberties for effect), you could instill a little more feeling into the story. Alternatively, you could make the aliens a little less aloof, maybe have them feel some sort of wonder at the state of Earth. I dunno, there's a lot of ways you could do it.

Thank you so much for this! I reworked and submitted. You are very correct about the perspective shifts, I focused on that in the rewrite, as well as trying to bring forward a sense of wonder rather than trying to shoehorn in "I wonder what happened".