Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

Say hello to my little friend! Living in an empty house or apartment all day can be a drag. If your building doesn't allow pets, or you're not around enough to attend to a larger animal, consider bringing home a hamster, mouse, or guinea pig! These curious critters are landlord approved and won't tear up the sofa if left alone during the workday. A new family member might be just what you need to make your house a home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

the "physical activity releases happiness chemicals" thing in my brain is broken, along with a whole bunch of other poo poo. more annoying than that though is people saying I am wrong about not feeling better through physical activity, so I just don't talk about it in real life.

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

Wheeee posted:

you should post your high quality advice in the mental health thread

mawarannahr posted:

my language isnt your spice

Jazerus posted:

please

cspammers don't need any more brain damage, why are you doing this to us NHD

I'll allow these because even though they aren't happiness tips, they're about happiness tips.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

NeatHeteroDude posted:

Critical space theory! Did you know that we've learned more about our solar system in the last 50 years than in the sum total of human history? A day spent studying the final frontier can give you insight and perspective into an "alien" world where anything is possible! Your brain will thank you for the new knowledge, and friends will be captivated by conversations about the great unknown.

youre main charactering a thread you didnt start. shameful

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

A birdie in the hand! Adding a new sport to your weekly routine is a great way to get fit and find friends. If you're looking to learn a low-cost new activity and meet others like you, consider searching for nearby gyms and community centers that host all-skill badminton classes.

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

Slava spaghetti! Are you looking for a cheap meal high in protein and vital nutrients? Consider buying ground beef, tomato sauce, some spices, and a bag of standard straight noodles to cook a delicious staple for anyone on a budget. Make more than you plan to eat, and package any leftovers for lunch the next day!

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
Happiness tip: wake up and start drinking. It's quarter to eleven and I'm opening my second beer and I feel great!

NeatHeteroDude posted:

Critical space theory! Did you know that we've learned more about our solar system in the last 50 years than in the sum total of human history? A day spent studying the final frontier can give you insight and perspective into an "alien" world where anything is possible! Your brain will thank you for the new knowledge, and friends will be captivated by conversations about the great unknown.

How would you even measure this? Is there a standard measure for quantity of knowledge?

bedpan posted:

the "physical activity releases happiness chemicals" thing in my brain is broken, along with a whole bunch of other poo poo. more annoying than that though is people saying I am wrong about not feeling better through physical activity, so I just don't talk about it in real life.

That's interesting. Has it always been that way?
I agree it is very annoying when people think their experience is universal.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

heres a good book about happiness and why people in power 🐶 try to force it down your gullet

https://www.versobooks.com/books/2162-the-happiness-industry

What was a Buddhist monk doing at the 2014 World Economic Forum in Davos lecturing the worlds leaders on mindfulness? Why do many successful corporations have a chief happiness officer? What can the chemical composition of your brain tell a potential employer about you? In the past decade, governments and corporations have become increasingly interested in measuring the way people feel: the Happiness index, Gross National Happiness, well-being and positive psychology have come to dominate the way we live our lives. As a result, our emotions have become a new resource to be bought and sold.

In a fascinating investigation combining history, science and ideas, William Davies shows how well-being influences all aspects of our lives: business, finance, marketing and smart technology. This book will make you rethink everything from the way you work, the power of the Nudge, the ever-expanding definitions of depression, and the commercialization of your most private feelings. The Happiness Industry is a shocking and brilliantly argued warning about the new religion of the age: our emotions.

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

mawarannahr posted:

heres a good book about happiness and why people in power 🐶 try to force it down your gullet

What was a Buddhist monk doing at the 2014 World Economic Forum in Davos lecturing the worlds leaders on mindfulness? Why do many successful corporations have a chief happiness officer? What can the chemical composition of your brain tell a potential employer about you? In the past decade, governments and corporations have become increasingly interested in measuring the way people feel: the Happiness index, Gross National Happiness, well-being and positive psychology have come to dominate the way we live our lives. As a result, our emotions have become a new resource to be bought and sold.

In a fascinating investigation combining history, science and ideas, William Davies shows how well-being influences all aspects of our lives: business, finance, marketing and smart technology. This book will make you rethink everything from the way you work, the power of the Nudge, the ever-expanding definitions of depression, and the commercialization of your most private feelings. The Happiness Industry is a shocking and brilliantly argued warning about the new religion of the age: our emotions.

Please rephrase this as a happiness tip or be probed. This is the happiness tip thread.

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

Two swirls, one cup! A sweet treat after achieving small goals can train your brain to appreciate the progress you've made. Soft-serve ice cream is a delicious low-calorie dessert that will satisfy your taste buds without breaking the bank. If your stomach is bored of the same ol' single-note cones and cups, consider mixing two different flavors to create a wonderful new combination that will activate your palate and provide exciting new tastes for days to come!

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

NeatHeteroDude posted:

Please rephrase this as a happiness tip or be probed. This is the happiness tip thread.

I can attest, based on my lived experience, that this book can make someone happy. I believe others may find happiness in The Happiness Industry.

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

mawarannahr posted:

I can attest, based on my lived experience, that this book can make someone happy. I believe others may find happiness in The Happiness Industry.

Thank you!!

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

Boot scoot boogie! Feet feeling sore? Podiatrists found that 90% of foot repetitive stress injuries can be prevented with a pair of well-fitted, quality cowboy boots. Though you won't be arriving to any gunfights at high noon, these fashionable legacy footwear items can provide the cushion and stability to make your legs say, "giddy up!"

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

Who charted! Did you know that Microsoft's Excel software can do more than create spreadsheets? This flagship product and workplace necessity can also be used to build a variety of sleek, well-designed graphs, visual aids, and tables! You can really "wow" your boss and spice up a slideshow by arriving at the next big meeting with a dizzying set of custom-made diagrams that can display everything from quarterly revenue to workplace retention. Why be a bore when you can always do more?

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

Height power! Did you know the average tall man makes more money than his shorter colleagues? A couple of inches can go a long way when you're walking up to your boss, entering an interview, or selling someone on the latest product. A pair of well-fitted, quality cowboy boots can add up to 2 inches to your standing height, which may translate to more dollars in the bank before too long. Just be careful to watch out for rustlers!

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

lumpentroll posted:

heres a tip: shut up scumbag

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

Build the wall! Are you exhausted at the end of the day from trying to do everything for everyone? Consider saying "no" to friends, family, and acquaintances next time you're asked to sacrifice personal time or energy to support their needs. Building healthy boundaries may seem strange at first, but clearly communicated and reasonable limitations on what you're willing to do for others will give you more "chill" time and turn a neverending honey-do list into a bear-able set of reasonable requests.

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

hey NHD heres a tip for you 🖕

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

Don't drop the Pope! Feeling conflicted over Pontifex's rejection of Catholic orthodoxy? A small crisis of faith can help you build your connection to our Lord and set up spiritual strength that will last for ages! Instead of dismissing your doubt over Pope Francis' divergence from traditional Catholicism, consider taking your concerns to the confession booth and seeking guidance from a priest. While he may not have all the answers, a healthy conversation with a Holy Father can turn your minor anxiety into an avenue for spiritual growth!

NeatHeteroDude has issued a correction as of 05:45 on Nov 20, 2022

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Happiness tip: go to bed.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

thanks for the tips

TheLemonOfIchabod
Aug 26, 2008
happiness tip: post less

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

NeatHeteroDude posted:

I also struggle with that. Weight lifting and running are more my speed, but everyone's different. When I transitioned from stationary biking to lifting, I found myself wanting to go the gym far more often than I did before! Consider giving the ol iron a chance, and you may be surprised what you discover.

No, I do a little strength training too. I also hate that.

Physical activity does not make you feel good. It makes you tired and sore. :colbert:

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

sorry this is too many tips, I'll just do nothing :shrug:

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

Bro Dad posted:

sorry this is too many tips, I'll just do nothing :shrug:

Sounds like we need a new happiness tip thread with an OP sorting the tips by category. If only there was someone who could do that....

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

F Stop Fitzgerald posted:

hey NHD heres a tip for you 🖕

This is extremely uncalled for!

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

What's wrong with you? You don't even have your beer goggles on!!

mawarannahr posted:

Burning this book will bring you more happiness than reading it. It will make you warm instead of wasting your time!

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

TheLemonOfIchabod posted:

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕

TheLemonOfIchabod posted:

This is good advice. If you see somebody quote your post and your heart is filled with anxiety the. You Amy not be cut out for posting. And that's okay! Some of us were born to lurk and true posters will love and respect you anyway :)

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

This is good advice. If you see somebody quote your post and your heart is filled with anxiety the. You may not be cut out for posting. And that's okay! Some of us were born to lurk and true posters will love and respect you anyway :)

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

I hit quote instead of edit but everybody makes mistakes :)

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
happiness tip: emptyquote your own posts to bask in the warm yellow or purple glow of affirmation without needing to actually be clever or funny

e: realized this could read as mean, did not intend for it to be mean

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Keep going I'm almost happy

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

vyelkin posted:

happiness tip: emptyquote your own posts to bask in the warm yellow or purple glow of affirmation without needing to actually be clever or funny

e: realized this could read as mean, did not intend for it to be mean

Last night while I was at a concert somebody on Twitter doxxed me and said they were going to report me as a Chinese spy and/or come to my house to murder me because I said that tech companies provide free meals and coffee to employees and have all of those dumb perks like morning yoga to keep them at the office and working longer every day, so there is basically nothing a goon could do to me that would bother me in the slightest right now lol

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

vyelkin posted:

Here ya go pal. This one's on me.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Last night while I was at a concert somebody on Twitter doxxed me and said they were going to report me as a Chinese spy and/or come to my house to murder me because I said that tech companies provide free meals and coffee to employees and have all of those dumb perks like morning yoga to keep them at the office and working longer every day, so there is basically nothing a goon could do to me that would bother me in the slightest right now lol

that's pretty hosed up dude, very sorry to hear that happened. I hope it didn't bother you too much because that would bother me a lot.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

McCracAttack posted:

Here ya go pal. This one's on me.

Thank you, I can feel the endorphins flooding my brain as we speak

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

vyelkin posted:

that's pretty hosed up dude, very sorry to hear that happened. I hope it didn't bother you too much because that would bother me a lot.

I deactivated my account and I'm sure it will be fine, just some insane Elon Musk dude who probably can't hurt me unless he emails my boss and my work decides that whatever the gently caress is going on is too weird to bother with and fires me or something

In part it was my fault for seeing 20 notifications and replying to the guy telling him to log off and call his children to tell them he loves them instead of writing an essay at me about how hard the real world is

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m has issued a correction as of 18:27 on Nov 20, 2022

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

I deactivated my account and I'm sure it will be fine, just some insane Elon Musk dude who probably can't hurt me unless he emails my boss and my work decides that whatever the gently caress is going on is too weird to bother with and fires me or something

I sincerely hope it ends with the insane tweets. The internet makes people very stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

vyelkin posted:

The internet makes people very stupid.

I know all about it pal, I made a series of posts about "happiness tips" to transparently troll people on this subforum after doing the same thing in GBS in like 2015.

But now I actually like the sarcastic friendly vibe of these threads and think it's funny lol