Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ritz On Toppa Ritz
Oct 14, 2006

You're not allowed to crumble unless I say so.
I had Navy JROTC in high school in Staten Island.

I was super excited about it until I saw the uniforms which was a plain white shirt tucked into black pants. I hated it - we just looked like dorky kids especially with the c caps we wore. It did not look like a ‘cool military uniform.’ What’s this Dress Blues poo poo?

The program was a thinly veiled recruitment operation - originally for giving troubled kids one more chance before going to an alternative high school. Many visitors would give talks and then break out brochures about the Marines or Navy. It became more of a wink wink kinda situation because they would be giving talks about ‘don’t do drugs’ but then during Q and A would switch to full on ‘so you wanna be a Marine?’ I think they have since made it illegal in NYC but not sure exactly how.

And not for nothing - the program did absolutely help some folks get on the straight and narrow. But it’s true that a lot of folks enlisted afterward but that could also be skewed since most of us saw 9/11 first hand (our school faced the water towards lower Manhattan - I was a sophomore at the time). That certainly was a factor for my dumbass.

I loved everything about it except the ugly rear end uniforms

Our gym was first period. I would always schedule my jrotc class right after gym so I could get my uniform inspected and then change clothes in my next class.

I’d straight up be in AP Biology in third period and taking my pants off in the middle of class(I had ‘civvies’ underneath). I have also hid under the lunch room table if one of the Commanders appeared suddenly.

I only got caught twice in three years of wearing a uniform once a week.

I ended up quitting it because I was going to be the only Senior that didn’t get promoted to officer. I was going to be Chief petty Officer or some bs made up NCO thing. So I wouldn’t get to finally wear the nicer uniforms that looked like proper suits. So I just decided to leave it.

I didn’t really blame them either. I was far from the try hards that did get higher positions. I was the supply officer and would sleep/cut class in the storage room - making a noise alarm with sheets of plastic to wake me up in case anyone came in.

I did end up in the Air Force but soon left and never looked back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU