Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Strange Cares posted:

There used to be a great little tea shop called Tealuxe in Harvard Square with this weird little copper tables and a pretty good selection of tea. It was super cozy and I spent a lot of time there over the years, even though they didn't have a bathroom so you'd have to go down the street to piss .

Then a big conglomerate purchased the building they were in, tripled the rent to drive everyone out, and turned it into chain stores. Now there's a lovely chain taco place there called "El Jefe's" that sucks rear end.

I just found out that they're gonna do the same thing to The Garage, which was this little independent mall made out of an old parking structure that used to have a cool sci-fi bookstore (which has now moved and still exists thank god) and a bunch of weird anime stores etc. The structure of The Garage was super weird since it was all adapted from ramps for cars so there are all sorts of weird mezzanines and so on. It's gonna be bulldozed though, and I haven't had the heart to look up what they're turning it into. Probably more chains, it's all we get in Boston now.

gently caress developers

It will be a 5 story building, 30% retail and 70% office. I can't imagine any of the current tenants will remain/return to the new building, construction is supposed to take 18 months and I can't imagine they'll be charging less rent than before.

Harvard Square has been a shadow of itself for a long time already, and soon it won't even be that anymore.

Agreeing with others on missing the variety malls used to have. In the 90s a nearby mall had this store called Boomers, and I still can't find a good way to describe it. Just...cool stuff? It had like 6-8 small themed sections of merchandise. One corner was jungle themed, all sorts of plush jungle animals, toys, bric-a-brac, whatever, all themed with fake tree trunks and leafy decor. Go to the back and it was vaguely space themed, full of blacklight poo poo, lumenglass, plasma spheres, and a whole goddamn wall of that freeze dried astronaut ice cream. Another part was all pranks and novelties. Really wacky place, extremely powerful 90s energy, and always overstaffed with college-aged stoners (and there was always at least one employee walking around playing with devil sticks).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU