Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
Every sci-fi movie that depicts late-stage capitalism at least has some cool buildings to walk around in. What are we, here, in real life, getting?

This utter loving bullshit:

If you live in southeast Michigan, hit up the cool anime store and laugh at the chud still selling Trump merchandise right across from it while you can, because Lakeside Mall is getting knocked down and turned into this campus of cumbuckets in 2024.

Where the gently caress is our goddamn arcology? Oh right, it's apparently more profitable for real estate ghouls to make people wade through clouds of insects and pollen to get to other shops. We could pack all that poo poo into one easy to navigate space with air conditioning, fountains to toss useless change into, calming neon lights, and a place to sit and eat without constantly getting hosed and sucked by mosquitos. Then we could take a cool turbolift to the floors with our apartments and be ready to jerk off to whatever dumb bullshit we bought 15 minutes ago. But no. We will hop in our constantly malfunctioning thousand dollar wheeled deathcages and drive 30 minutes to every new place we want to go to and we will like it.

Well I don't like it. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

just imagine the stupid outdoor mall as the top floor of the arcology. boom, done.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

I'm going to live in the arcology sewer systems and underground machinery areas and eek a living harvesting trash and waste from the wealthy and wasteful above ground residents

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Buce posted:

just imagine the stupid outdoor mall as the top floor of the arcology. boom, done.

Where's the transparent aluminum dome over it? WHERE IS IT.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

olives black posted:

southeast Michigan,

move to a real city OP

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Someone built 301 of them while you weren't looking and they all departed into space to find new worlds. Sorry you missed it.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
Play Darktide if you want to live in a hive world.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Smugworth posted:

I'm going to live in the arcology sewer systems and underground machinery areas and eek a living harvesting trash and waste from the wealthy and wasteful above ground residents

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5U2yhrsXv8

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Chinatown posted:

move to a real city OP

still no dome. WHERE'S THE DOME

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

To think, Musk could've spent his billions on making Sim City real but instead used it to buy out a lovely social media site.

CumBlast Radius Jr
Nov 1, 2022

by Azathoth
It needs a pond based around respect.

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
I think Saudi Arabia and Pals have a few investment opportunites that'll whet your whistle, OP.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
I'm glad you have to go outside to do things. Your suffering makes me happy.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

super sweet best pal posted:

To think, Musk could've spent his billions on making Sim City real but instead used it to buy out a lovely social media site.

and tunnels that transport motherfucking CARS

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

olives black posted:

and tunnels that transport motherfucking CARS

That was musk lying to get in the way of high speed rail for some reason.

CumBlast Radius Jr
Nov 1, 2022

by Azathoth
Youre suffering mental poverty

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Charles Munger is working on it, op.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i saw some cool huge scifi-looking apartment complexes on the outskirts of copenhagen recently. not quite arcology level but still pretty cool

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

olives black posted:

Every sci-fi movie that depicts late-stage capitalism at least has some cool buildings to walk around in. What are we, here, in real life, getting?

hang on did you not see bladerunner (the good one, not the new one)

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

we're trending towards the judge dredd future, especially with loving

Roumba posted:

I think Saudi Arabia and Pals have a few investment opportunites that'll whet your whistle, OP.

poo poo like this where you can literally be thrown out a door and into the wastes, lmao

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

OP: :qq: They're making a park. :qq:

CumBlast Radius Jr
Nov 1, 2022

by Azathoth
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CPh26DBsDg

no loving brass, how sweet it is

The real gem of no brass is the bass.

CumBlast Radius Jr fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Nov 19, 2022

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Oh no! The out of doors! There are plants. Disgusting!

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

GolfHole posted:

hang on did you not see bladerunner (the good one, not the new one)

i should have said video games

and by video games i really just mean The Journeyman Project and Deus Ex 2

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Some consider Thomas Jefferson the father of North American arcology.

Captain Quack
Feb 18, 2013
https://simcity.fandom.com/wiki/Arcology

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

BigBadSteve posted:

OP: :qq: They're making a park. :qq:

It's not a park. It's a bunch of bullshit discrete retail shitholes with no personality and lawns that are terrible for the environment

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Oh no! The out of doors! There are plants. Disgusting!

I respect the out of doors enough to stay away from them

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Not time yet op.

Once the corporate overlords need actual walls to keep out the rabble and keep the peons in line, they will start building them.

For now, geography and current social standards mean they run little risk walking around outside in most places.

Once global warming makes large parts of the planet uninhabitable war zones, the oligarchs will bear the construction costs of these monstrosities as monuments to their power.

Construction is too expensive right now though.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Nap Ghost

olives black posted:

This utter loving bullshit:

If you live in southeast Michigan, hit up the cool anime store and laugh at the chud still selling Trump merchandise right across from it while you can, because Lakeside Mall is getting knocked down and turned into this campus of cumbuckets in 2024.

Where the gently caress is our goddamn arcology? Oh right, it's apparently more profitable for real estate ghouls to make people wade through clouds of insects and pollen to get to other shops. We could pack all that poo poo into one easy to navigate space with air conditioning, fountains to toss useless change into, calming neon lights, and a place to sit and eat without constantly getting hosed and sucked by mosquitos. Then we could take a cool turbolift to the floors with our apartments and be ready to jerk off to whatever dumb bullshit we bought 15 minutes ago. But no. We will hop in our constantly malfunctioning thousand dollar wheeled deathcages and drive 30 minutes to every new place we want to go to and we will like it.

Well I don't like it. :colbert:

live in southeast Michigan
I think I may have found your problem OP

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

olives black posted:

i should have said video games

and by video games i really just mean The Journeyman Project and Deus Ex 2

In Destiny 2's lore the New Pacific Arcology was built on Saturn's moon Titan during the period of the Golden Age. It featured a massive city dome anchored to the submerged glacial shelf below one of Titan's methane oceans with its state of the art living and research facilities perpetually powered by an array of massive tidal generators. It was one of the more scenic locations in game with its high ceiling space odyssey plazas ringed by slick oil rig catwalks. And it's regrettable that Bungie decided to vault this map among others during the roadmap reshuffle in 2020 robbing the current generation of players out of a great scifi experience.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
That's called a mall, OP

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Nap Ghost
Its a park or courtyard. I have about 20 of them within 5 miles

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

I did a three month residency at Arcosanti a few years ago.

What I learned there is that arcologies are a terrible idea and people who are way into crystals should never be trusted.

Never again. Arcologies are the worst.

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
the future we want:

the future we get:

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Nap Ghost

Dick Fontaine posted:

I did a three month residency at Arcosanti a few years ago.

What I learned there is that arcologies are a terrible idea and people who are way into crystals should never be trusted.

Never again. Arcologies are the worst.

I promise to never read the Necronomicon

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Nap Ghost

Booty Pageant posted:

the future we want:

the future we get:

nahh. I want megacity 1

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

EVERY TIME GOING posted:

In Destiny 2's lore the New Pacific Arcology was built on Saturn's moon Titan during the period of the Golden Age. It featured a massive city dome anchored to the submerged glacial shelf below one of Titan's methane oceans with its state of the art living and research facilities perpetually powered by an array of massive tidal generators. It was one of the more scenic locations in game with its high ceiling space odyssey plazas ringed by slick oil rig catwalks. And it's regrettable that Bungie decided to vault this map among others during the roadmap reshuffle in 2020 robbing the current generation of players out of a great scifi experience.

that place was so goddamn cool

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

olives black posted:

It's not a park. It's a bunch of bullshit discrete retail shitholes with no personality and lawns that are terrible for the environment

That's just bad arcology, friend.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I wonder if those kind of structures would lead to pedestrian traffic jams

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING