Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe
lol chill out indiana jones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

journey into Kirk's unknown

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arcology

quote:

Buckminster Fuller with a drawing of his domed city proposal

This is a broken man.

edit: I'm bad at photoshop

digitalist fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Nov 20, 2022

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

bitch what the gently caress

Well we get traffic jams when everyone returns from work at 5. I’m wondering what happens to that dynamic when people are living their lives in a mega structure.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Rinkles posted:

Well we get traffic jams when everyone returns from work at 5. I’m wondering what happens to that dynamic when people are living their lives in a mega structure.

oh gently caress!

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo
One of your rear end in a top hat fellow citizens will get drunk and put a bullet through the hull!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

This is what the inside of your arcology would look like

But forever

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Nov 20, 2022

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel
maybe you just live in some kind of failed state. :shrug:

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

drilldo squirt posted:

I'm glad you have to go outside to do things. Your suffering makes me happy.

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.
giant helltowers are the most muskbrained thing imaginable in city planning so it's surprising more of them haven't been attempted

musk would super say he's making a Launch arco and end up getting like a tenth of a Plymouth up too. the fact that a Darco doesn't exist in Dubai is baffling

do it you pill-popping cowards, make one. Thiel I know your dumb vampire rear end would be all over this

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

I promise to never read the Necronomicon

But you’ll miss out on all of the further, stupider regions of experience

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

How come Maxis never made SimArco

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

MikeJF posted:

How come Maxis never made SimArco

They were too busy on a The Sims - Rustic Furniture expansion pack. But some dick did mod arcologies into Cities: Skylines.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Szyznyk posted:

They were too busy on a The Sims - Rustic Furniture expansion pack.

Well that was after it was just EA puppeting their corpse around.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Does SimTower count?

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Dick Fontaine posted:

I did a three month residency at Arcosanti a few years ago.

What I learned there is that arcologies are a terrible idea and people who are way into crystals should never be trusted.

Never again. Arcologies are the worst.

So basically it failed due to:

- hippies
- Soleri being stupid and a sex pest
- no dome*

So maybe the next arcology just needs to not have those things :)

*by dome I mean A BIG GODDAMN DOME OVER THE WHOLE THING

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
also to everyone telling me to move out of southeast Michigan I loving KNOW OKAY I just don't know where I want to go yet

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is

olives black posted:

also to everyone telling me to move out of southeast Michigan I loving KNOW OKAY I just don't know where I want to go yet

See the Philadelphia thread for inspiration

Effective-Disorder
Nov 13, 2013
I feel like living in an arcology would be like living at disney world at best, and that sounds pretty traumatic. That being said, I'm sure there's a lot of people who would eat fermented cat poo poo to get a spot in one of them, and would smile whilst doing so. Oh well.

Dick Fontaine posted:

I did a three month residency at Arcosanti a few years ago.

What I learned there is that arcologies are a terrible idea and people who are way into crystals should never be trusted.

Never again. Arcologies are the worst.

Please tell me you did or will write a thread about this. lol

Effective-Disorder fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Nov 20, 2022

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

olives black posted:

Two choices: Gary, Indiana or Onion Town.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Internet Old One posted:

Two choices: Gary, Indiana or Onion Town.

:mad:

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Dick Fontaine posted:

But you’ll miss out on all of the further, stupider regions of experience

fine, I'll read it
klaatu barada nikto

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Does Sterling Heights REALLY count as SE MI, op? REALLY?

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

nahh. I want megacity 1

Yeah, the Megacity blocks are what I think of when I think of an arcology. A cold, towering triumph of brutalist architecture reminiscent of Sim City 2000's Plymouth.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

EVERY TIME GOING posted:

In Destiny 2's lore the New Pacific Arcology was built on Saturn's moon Titan during the period of the Golden Age. It featured a massive city dome anchored to the submerged glacial shelf below one of Titan's methane oceans with its state of the art living and research facilities perpetually powered by an array of massive tidal generators. It was one of the more scenic locations in game with its high ceiling space odyssey plazas ringed by slick oil rig catwalks. And it's regrettable that Bungie decided to vault this map among others during the roadmap reshuffle in 2020 robbing the current generation of players out of a great scifi experience.

now THAT is a dome :hai:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Just hanging with my domies

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

I'm sick of seeing animated weiners french kissing in every fucking GBS thread.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Just hanging with my domies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7vNfN0f1d4

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Anything is better than lakeside loving mall, OP. Making it into a park will be way nicer than the massive parking lot it is now.

As for arcologies, you can go to the Ren Cen. It's a difficult to navigate brutalist nightmare on the inside but if you wear a trench coat and fingerless gloves you can pretend you're Deckard for a few hours, maybe get some noodles.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Not enough people are naming their kid 'Buckminster' anymore.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I'd live in a Darco. Go pale and mysterious and have unspoken agreements with the duct people.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

It's that huge dumb line building in Saudi Arabia.

edit: actually I forgot, it's that one town in alaska https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whittier,_Alaska

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'd live in a Darco. Go pale and mysterious and have unspoken agreements with the duct people.

there's a duct person earlier itt. might as well start your alliance now.

naem
May 29, 2011

that outdoor space sure makes sense in Michigan which has freezing temperatures and snow on the ground six months out of the year

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Poohs Packin posted:

Anything is better than lakeside loving mall, OP. Making it into a park will be way nicer than the massive parking lot it is now.

As for arcologies, you can go to the Ren Cen. It's a difficult to navigate brutalist nightmare on the inside but if you wear a trench coat and fingerless gloves you can pretend you're Deckard for a few hours, maybe get some noodles.

the Ren Cen rules

naem posted:

that outdoor space sure makes sense in Michigan which has freezing temperatures and snow on the ground six months out of the year

oh hey, a poster who loving gets it. welcome to my thread :)

olives black fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Nov 20, 2022

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1B-Usr7cLxg

The Monster Building exists and is pretty neat.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

you should move to the glorious PNW, op. it's got forests, deserts, high deserts, oceans, mountains. You can visit vancouver BC and see literal children driving $300,000 exotic cars. you can visit klamath falls and watch tattered trump flags flutter in the wind. you can visit tacoma and its sprawling strip-mall landscapes. you can catch prickleback in netarts bay and eat them with your mouth. you can ride a kayak down the deschutes river and get sunburned and bitten by rattlesnakes. you can do heroin and eat wonderful korean food in portland. you can join a chud secessionist militia in malheur and get shot by a federal agent. you can go shrooming in the cascades and meet weirdos and possibly get in a gunfight.

the possibilities are endless my friend.

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

olives black posted:

Every sci-fi movie that depicts late-stage capitalism at least has some cool buildings to walk around in. What are we, here, in real life, getting?

This utter loving bullshit:

If you live in southeast Michigan, hit up the cool anime store and laugh at the chud still selling Trump merchandise right across from it while you can, because Lakeside Mall is getting knocked down and turned into this campus of cumbuckets in 2024.

Where the gently caress is our goddamn arcology? Oh right, it's apparently more profitable for real estate ghouls to make people wade through clouds of insects and pollen to get to other shops. We could pack all that poo poo into one easy to navigate space with air conditioning, fountains to toss useless change into, calming neon lights, and a place to sit and eat without constantly getting hosed and sucked by mosquitos. Then we could take a cool turbolift to the floors with our apartments and be ready to jerk off to whatever dumb bullshit we bought 15 minutes ago. But no. We will hop in our constantly malfunctioning thousand dollar wheeled deathcages and drive 30 minutes to every new place we want to go to and we will like it.

Well I don't like it. :colbert:

Hard agree, OP. SimCity 2000 crew represent:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCJRdXN80cE

I wanna give that stupid outdoor mall picture a wedgie.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

A bunch of Montreal could be considered an arcology thanks to the interconnecting Underground City

Canada loving loves massive systems like that you've got Edmonton and Calgary and Toronto

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Nov 20, 2022

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

super sweet best pal posted:

Yeah, the Megacity blocks are what I think of when I think of an arcology. A cold, towering triumph of brutalist architecture reminiscent of Sim City 2000's Plymouth.

the weird thing thing is Megacity 1 has less crime than any city in America now.
Thanks Judge Dredd

A Stupid Baby
Dec 31, 2002

lip up fatty

olives black posted:

It's not a park. It's a bunch of bullshit discrete retail shitholes with no personality and lawns that are terrible for the environment

I work at a botanical garden and this is roughly what they've done to the newest part of it. It loving sucks, everyone is trying to look like every McDonalds built past like 2008.

Parks used to have like, landscaping and play equipment for kids and poo poo. Now it's toss some cornhole on there (cheap) and the same plants that are in every parking lot and all come from the same Home Depot (cheap). Male trees because we'd rather fill the air with even more tree jizz than clean up debris. They'll probably spend the money to install some fescue and irrigation because of American Lawn Brain and then abandon it to Bermuda because that's easier. Already got the crappy retail space they'll struggle to keep rented out, just missing the food truck hookups and a giant statue thanking some local rich guy for donating the statue to it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

worm girl posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1B-Usr7cLxg

The Monster Building exists and is pretty neat.

The apartment hallways could use some work but it still looks p cozy. Also they're a cute couple :3: