Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

A Stupid Baby posted:

I work at a botanical garden and this is roughly what they've done to the newest part of it. It loving sucks, everyone is trying to look like every McDonalds built past like 2008.

Parks used to have like, landscaping and play equipment for kids and poo poo. Now it's toss some cornhole on there (cheap) and the same plants that are in every parking lot and all come from the same Home Depot (cheap). Male trees because we'd rather fill the air with even more tree jizz than clean up debris. They'll probably spend the money to install some fescue and irrigation because of American Lawn Brain and then abandon it to Bermuda because that's easier. Already got the crappy retail space they'll struggle to keep rented out, just missing the food truck hookups and a giant statue thanking some local rich guy for donating the statue to it

:911:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

MikeJF posted:

This is what the inside of your arcology would look like

But forever

looks aight to me :shrug:

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Bluemillion posted:

Hard agree, OP. SimCity 2000 crew represent:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCJRdXN80cE

I wanna give that stupid outdoor mall picture a wedgie.

:yossame:

naem
May 29, 2011

olives black posted:

oh hey, a poster who loving gets it. welcome to my thread :)

https://youtu.be/EHCXcelqbtY

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZzgAjjuqZM

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast
icon of sin

it's a cgi mockup but they really are building this abomination buy your tickets now

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 20 days!)

i dunno about massive towers but i'm pro mass dome erection

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Pac and Cheese posted:

icon of sin

it's a cgi mockup but they really are building this abomination buy your tickets now

no dome = no dolla dolla bill, y'all

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

If the water slides aren't aimed to yeet dissidents directly off the side of this floating arcology into the ocean then you aren't getting the full utopian experience.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
I don't trust any arcology that isn't stationary. The point is to be a benign tumor on the Earth's surface, not a metastisizing cancer

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

olives black posted:

I don't trust any arcology that isn't stationary.

What if it's silent?

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
Nap Ghost

Pac and Cheese posted:

icon of sin

I like how even their landfall is cgi

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

frumpykvetchbot posted:

maybe you just live in some kind of failed state. :shrug:

Singapore is definitely more taken with the arcology concept than anywhere else -and those aren't even the only or most liveable ones- but even then it's mostly malls, national gallery, botanical gardens and such rather than actual liveable spaces.

The equatorial weather probably helps (as it does for the popularity of malls in Malaysia and Philippines). It's still quite neat and enjoyable.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Nov 21, 2022

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

What if it's silent?

are these gonks?

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
Nap Ghost
so, its been about a day and I still don't know what arcology is

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
I'm a mosquito and how dare you think to deprive me of valuble gently caress'n suck real estate

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Southeast Asia is a good place to look to for real-world examples of the kind of self-contained everything-complex most people probably envision when they think of what simcity arcologies would be like in real life. Kuala Lumpur in particular is a hotspot for these! One of the more common templates for mixed-use developments constructed in the past 15-ish years is a big box shopping mall with an apartment building or two attached, either linked by an adjoining lobby/tunnel or plonked directly on top.

A decent one of these will contain a full-size supermarket, maybe a dozen places to eat ranging from 'nice' sit-down dining to major fast food chains to cafeterias full of independent local vendors, clothing/homewares stores, pharmacies and clinics, a chain gym, and anything else you can imagine finding in an average modern shopping centre. Some even have cinemas and bars. There's usually a rooftop area, open only to residents, with some landscaping and a pool and maybe some other amenities like cafes and tennis courts. I lived in a place like this for a couple years and I loved it (and I did, in fact, semi-seriously tell friends overseas that I lived in an arco)... right up until covid hit and they locked the passage that led directly from the apartments into the mall, and then 90% of the businesses in the mall shut down and moved out anyway. Including, crucially, the supermarket. During the brief period back in the good times when I was working from home, I often went entire work weeks never once stepping outside except to go swimming/jogging down on the roof plaza. Also I caught a lot of new release movies that I probably wouldn't have bothered with if it hadn't been for the theater being literally a five-minute indoor walk away. Halfway through food prep and you realise you're missing something crucial? Just pop downstairs and grab it and be back at home in your kitchen immediately! It was awesome.

It was also a testament to tremendous failures in urban planning. Malaysia is somehow almost as much of a Car Country as the US despite most of its population residing in high-density built-up areas. Public transport is fairly dismal and continuously worsening, and living in places like these wouldn't be anywhere near as attractive if it were easy to get around. Out of the 25+ malls dotted throughout the greater urban area, I can think of maybe three that have adjoining or integrated train stations. This is what property developers have to work with, and the appeal of these structures is totally contingent on the continued existence of an altogether hostile urban landscape. Yeah it's very cyberpunk etc etc.

In closing, here's the current ur-incarnation of this ultra high density residential/commercial paradigm: Cosmo Park in Jakarta, a giant mall crowned with multiple condo blocks and an entire residential subdivision.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
Nap Ghost
will someone please tell me what arcology means

Rugikiki
Jan 15, 2008

Illinois Nazis.
I hate Illinois Nazis!

I think it’s like Indiana jones

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
Nap Ghost

Rugikiki posted:

I think it’s like Indiana jones

hes a grave robber and part time teacher.

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

Pac and Cheese posted:

icon of sin

This thing is gonna get rolled by a wave and kill so many people.

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

will someone please tell me what arcology means

It's a building that has a whole city in it. So you'd have to go outside even less than you already do.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
Nap Ghost

Bluemillion posted:

This thing is gonna get rolled by a wave and kill so many people.

It's a building that has a whole city in it. So you'd have to go outside even less than you already do.

on average I travel 5 miles to get to work. Prolly see the sun more often than your pasty rear end

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

What the gently caress

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

What if it's silent?

i'll allow it

Pretty good posted:

Southeast Asia is a good place to look to for real-world examples of the kind of self-contained everything-complex most people probably envision when they think of what simcity arcologies would be like in real life. Kuala Lumpur in particular is a hotspot for these! One of the more common templates for mixed-use developments constructed in the past 15-ish years is a big box shopping mall with an apartment building or two attached, either linked by an adjoining lobby/tunnel or plonked directly on top.

A decent one of these will contain a full-size supermarket, maybe a dozen places to eat ranging from 'nice' sit-down dining to major fast food chains to cafeterias full of independent local vendors, clothing/homewares stores, pharmacies and clinics, a chain gym, and anything else you can imagine finding in an average modern shopping centre. Some even have cinemas and bars. There's usually a rooftop area, open only to residents, with some landscaping and a pool and maybe some other amenities like cafes and tennis courts. I lived in a place like this for a couple years and I loved it (and I did, in fact, semi-seriously tell friends overseas that I lived in an arco)... right up until covid hit and they locked the passage that led directly from the apartments into the mall, and then 90% of the businesses in the mall shut down and moved out anyway. Including, crucially, the supermarket. During the brief period back in the good times when I was working from home, I often went entire work weeks never once stepping outside except to go swimming/jogging down on the roof plaza. Also I caught a lot of new release movies that I probably wouldn't have bothered with if it hadn't been for the theater being literally a five-minute indoor walk away. Halfway through food prep and you realise you're missing something crucial? Just pop downstairs and grab it and be back at home in your kitchen immediately! It was awesome.

It was also a testament to tremendous failures in urban planning. Malaysia is somehow almost as much of a Car Country as the US despite most of its population residing in high-density built-up areas. Public transport is fairly dismal and continuously worsening, and living in places like these wouldn't be anywhere near as attractive if it were easy to get around. Out of the 25+ malls dotted throughout the greater urban area, I can think of maybe three that have adjoining or integrated train stations. This is what property developers have to work with, and the appeal of these structures is totally contingent on the continued existence of an altogether hostile urban landscape. Yeah it's very cyberpunk etc etc.

In closing, here's the current ur-incarnation of this ultra high density residential/commercial paradigm: Cosmo Park in Jakarta, a giant mall crowned with multiple condo blocks and an entire residential subdivision.

All of these look cool as hell, despite the lack of domes. I would like to live in one :)

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
Nap Ghost

olives black posted:

i'll allow it

All of these look cool as hell, despite the lack of domes. I would like to live in one :)

they are in video games

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I played stupendous amounts of SimCity 2000 as a kid and once my dad and I went to Arizona. I knew that Arcosanti was there because of one of the SC2000 books I had, and I wanted to visit it. The first real arcology! My dreams.

Then you get there and it's this tiny rear end little hill village that supports itself by selling bells. I was so loving mad.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

i used to build the dark black arcos because you could cram the maximum amount of human misery in them

this thread reminds me of that

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

Private Speech posted:

Singapore is definitely more taken with the arcology concept than anywhere else -and those aren't even the only or most liveable ones- but even then it's mostly malls, national gallery, botanical gardens and such rather than actual liveable spaces.

The equatorial weather probably helps (as it does for the popularity of malls in Malaysia and Philippines). It's still quite neat and enjoyable.

I think my favorite is The Golden Mile Complex.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Mile_Complex

It resembles nothing so much as a 1970s dystopian scifi concept. Dingy and faded, far from its original pristine appearance, it's a little self-contained mini-city with cyberpunk noir motifs throughout. The basement atriums are sunless, dimly illuminated with false moonlight, ceiling gently obscured by hazy smoke from the many restaurant kitchens.

There are garish LED ads for thai cafes, supermarkets, massage parlors and karaoke dens of vice. Above is a level of small offices and clinics in a sort of abstract geometric space with diagonal pillars and elevated walkways creating endless corridors that only need a tiny bit of set dressing and some Enforcers in jumpsuits to be a spaceship interior from battlestar galactica. On the sea side there are sloped, terraced apartments originally all alike, but over the decades customized by their owners with creative flourishes, colors and textures faintly reminescent of Kowloon City.

A tower juts out of one corner with faded and cracked plaster walls, pill-shaped and circular windows, the enigmatic architecture resembling perhaps some ancient building in a Moebius or Miyazaki fantasy.

And of course all of it was recently sold en bloc for 700 mil and now will be ~~developed~~ into something no doubt far less interesting.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
I love the idea of arcologies. As long as other people are the ones being moved into them.

I think it would drive me mad to live that close to that many people. Not as a figure of speech, I actually think I might go insane

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

frumpykvetchbot posted:

There are garish LED ads for thai cafes, supermarkets, massage parlors and karaoke dens of vice. Above is a level of small offices and clinics in a sort of abstract geometric space with diagonal pillars and elevated walkways creating endless corridors that only need a tiny bit of set dressing and some Enforcers in jumpsuits to be a spaceship interior from battlestar galactica. On the sea side there are sloped, terraced apartments originally all alike, but over the decades customized by their owners with creative flourishes, colors and textures faintly reminescent of Kowloon City.

A tower juts out of one corner with faded and cracked plaster walls, pill-shaped and circular windows, the enigmatic architecture resembling perhaps some ancient building in a Moebius or Miyazaki fantasy.

Neato!

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Reminds me of Nakano Broadway. It's a cool old mall that was built as an arcology of sorts. In fact the whole area is pretty cool having been largely built in the 60's and 70's. I couldn't find any readily available picture of it so it's worthwhile seeing it on google maps.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nakano_Broadway

I found an old documentary from the developer (I think) but it shows it getting constructed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdTRhlu3N1U&t=846s

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

MikeJF posted:

This is what the inside of your arcology would look like

But forever
No not that mall, the one from the opening of Scanners

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

some of my photos of the place.

The atrium level, west end looking east into the basement.

Tenant directory. Holding companies, traders, investigators and solicitors. Supposedly many of the legitimate-sounding names are or were fronts for all kinds of vice. The public restrooms in the complex are pretty gnarly and graffiti on the walls give clues to how things work at night.

The lower levels of the "diagonal space" above the atrium level, with street-facing offices on the left. Sunlight only reaches the interior of this cavernous depth for a few hours in the morning. At night this space used to have dim cool flickery blue fluorescent lighting as if intentionally lighted for a scifi set, but they upgraded to modern warm and friendly LEDs in recent years.

The terraced apartments, customized by the owners very inexpensively with cheap plastic and corrugated metal sheets. Some have covered balconies with paper lanterns, others have little gardens.The lower levels are single storey, the upper one are multi-storey apartments. The penthouse level is quite nice.

Dilapidated facade details of the Golden Mile tower at the northeast corner of the complex.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

That slope might make for a cool action movie chase scene

Cool pics, thanks for sharing

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

What if it's silent?

olives black posted:

no personality and lawns that are terrible for the environment

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

it's in space and those robots have plenty of personality :colbert:

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lan-Pjv99Xk

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Grand Fromage posted:

I played stupendous amounts of SimCity 2000 as a kid and once my dad and I went to Arizona. I knew that Arcosanti was there because of one of the SC2000 books I had, and I wanted to visit it. The first real arcology! My dreams.

Then you get there and it's this tiny rear end little hill village that supports itself by selling bells. I was so loving mad.

Well how else are you supposed to support your polyamorous sex cult?

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

frumpykvetchbot posted:

some of my photos of the place.

The atrium level, west end looking east into the basement.

Tenant directory. Holding companies, traders, investigators and solicitors. Supposedly many of the legitimate-sounding names are or were fronts for all kinds of vice. The public restrooms in the complex are pretty gnarly and graffiti on the walls give clues to how things work at night.

The lower levels of the "diagonal space" above the atrium level, with street-facing offices on the left. Sunlight only reaches the interior of this cavernous depth for a few hours in the morning. At night this space used to have dim cool flickery blue fluorescent lighting as if intentionally lighted for a scifi set, but they upgraded to modern warm and friendly LEDs in recent years.

The terraced apartments, customized by the owners very inexpensively with cheap plastic and corrugated metal sheets. Some have covered balconies with paper lanterns, others have little gardens.The lower levels are single storey, the upper one are multi-storey apartments. The penthouse level is quite nice.

Dilapidated facade details of the Golden Mile tower at the northeast corner of the complex.

just needs a good powerwashing and maybe a little paint :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Tarkus posted:

Reminds me of Nakano Broadway. It's a cool old mall that was built as an arcology of sorts. In fact the whole area is pretty cool having been largely built in the 60's and 70's. I couldn't find any readily available picture of it so it's worthwhile seeing it on google maps.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nakano_Broadway

I found an old documentary from the developer (I think) but it shows it getting constructed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdTRhlu3N1U&t=846s

Oh hey, that's the one Digimon Cyber Sleuth is all about.

Basically the thing is that mixed-use urbanism with homes and shops close by is actually really good but urban planning has been violently hostile to it for decades at this point so it only happens by accident anymore.