Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea

thank you for reminding me about Forest Swords, kind of forgot about him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Booty Pageant posted:

the future we want:

the future we get:

That is way too many birds making GBS threads everywhere

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
And that chess set is freakishly scaled too. ROoks the size of your hand

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Oh hey, that's the one Digimon Cyber Sleuth is all about.

Basically the thing is that mixed-use urbanism with homes and shops close by is actually really good but urban planning has been violently hostile to it for decades at this point so it only happens by accident anymore.

For American planners, this sort of urbanism is largely well regarded but reviled by residents living in single family homes built by the likes of Henry Ford. Older generations have systemically driven this kind of thing away and divested In regionalism leading to sprawl.

Investors and developers will only create what they can bring to market and the US seems actively hostile towards apartment buildings other than in "downtown" areas.

Eventually developers just move the gently caress on because it can take a decade to bring this kind of thing to fruition with all the approvals and such.

Planners tend to like density and mixed use and creating less dependence on cars.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Poohs Packin posted:

For American planners, this sort of urbanism is largely well regarded but reviled by residents living in single family homes built by the likes of Henry Ford. Older generations have systemically driven this kind of thing away and divested In regionalism leading to sprawl.

Investors and developers will only create what they can bring to market and the US seems actively hostile towards apartment buildings other than in "downtown" areas.

Eventually developers just move the gently caress on because it can take a decade to bring this kind of thing to fruition with all the approvals and such.

Planners tend to like density and mixed use and creating less dependence on cars.

Demon cracker nation

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

frumpykvetchbot posted:

some of my photos of the place.

The atrium level, west end looking east into the basement.

Tenant directory. Holding companies, traders, investigators and solicitors. Supposedly many of the legitimate-sounding names are or were fronts for all kinds of vice. The public restrooms in the complex are pretty gnarly and graffiti on the walls give clues to how things work at night.

The lower levels of the "diagonal space" above the atrium level, with street-facing offices on the left. Sunlight only reaches the interior of this cavernous depth for a few hours in the morning. At night this space used to have dim cool flickery blue fluorescent lighting as if intentionally lighted for a scifi set, but they upgraded to modern warm and friendly LEDs in recent years.

The terraced apartments, customized by the owners very inexpensively with cheap plastic and corrugated metal sheets. Some have covered balconies with paper lanterns, others have little gardens.The lower levels are single storey, the upper one are multi-storey apartments. The penthouse level is quite nice.

Dilapidated facade details of the Golden Mile tower at the northeast corner of the complex.

this owns

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
that boat looks like it gonna tip right over tho no thank you

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Nooner posted:

that boat looks like it gonna tip right over tho no thank you

I have nothing but scorn for cruise ships

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

olives black posted:

I have nothing but scorn for cruise ships

I have to admit that a cruise ship would probably be my best chance at drowning a magician.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
oh hey i found this on steam

https://store.steampowered.com/app/801370/Isotower/

ordinarily i don't mind games looking like rear end but this thing is both the epitome of programmer art and apparently requires a graphics card with shaders lol

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Every graphics card or integrated graphics has shaders.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Nov 24, 2022

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Although to be fair that needs shader model 3.0, that was only introduced in 2004.

Medium Chungus
Feb 19, 2012

Chinatown posted:

move to a real city OP

I also live in southeast Michigan.

What I'm saying is that you're all right, Chinatown.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Wasnt/isn't there a skyscraper in Chicago or something that basically had/has all the amenities you would need to have a normal life. I remember reading about it. It had housing and stuff and groceries, a barber, etc etc.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

will someone please tell me what arcology means

Goons hate going outside so much that they want to never do it again.

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

Poohs Packin posted:

In my area most of the "outside downtown" apartments/condos/town homes built in the last decade have been mixed use from the ground up. They are peak toxic developer, as most of the commercial side is filled with boutique shopping and the units themselves are massively over priced.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It would be cool to have places to live, work, and shop all in close proximity so you don't have to travel far. And people invented a solution to that problem. It was Cities. That's what a city is.

I don't really see the point in trying to make some grand scheme to get all of them in the same building, since probably the apartments' tenants won't align exactly with the businesses' need for workers, and the bigger you make the building to try to get enough people and things for all the numbers to add up, the less convenient it is to leave the building to get to any of the other hundreds of buildings in the vicinity and isolating the people within the building from their surroundings and removing the main advantage of being in a city.

It'd probably work better for building like an isolated company town where people are already moving specifically for the job, but those normally don't have a crunch for space so there's no point concentrating them. I guess maybe antarctic research bases would count, but those are small and technically mobile.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

SlothfulCobra posted:

It would be cool to have places to live, work, and shop all in close proximity so you don't have to travel far. And people invented a solution to that problem. It was Cities. That's what a city is.

I don't really see the point in trying to make some grand scheme to get all of them in the same building, since probably the apartments' tenants won't align exactly with the businesses' need for workers, and the bigger you make the building to try to get enough people and things for all the numbers to add up, the less convenient it is to leave the building to get to any of the other hundreds of buildings in the vicinity and isolating the people within the building from their surroundings and removing the main advantage of being in a city.

It'd probably work better for building like an isolated company town where people are already moving specifically for the job, but those normally don't have a crunch for space so there's no point concentrating them. I guess maybe antarctic research bases would count, but those are small and technically mobile.

The point is to not have other buildings.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

SlothfulCobra posted:

I mean any place getting close to the arctic circle I can see it being handy. Like it it's going to be -20C or what not for a good couple of months of the year, having you're Home, work, and shopping all in the same building so you don't need to go outside if you really have to seems like it may have some appeal.

Also there are plenty of people who just go from work to home the entire week and don't really go out on the weekend. So for them good? Although some of that is just our current society being poo poo and overworking people to hell, so for that, Archeology would just be sort putting a band aid on arterial bleed so yeah actually solutions would be better.

One thing it could be good for is just keeping traffic down, as it would cut down on the traffic in the city at large.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Other problem is when you get gutted public transport and nobody can actually afford to live close to their job.

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

If you disregard the idealistic tenets that only the most hardcore futurists believe is achievable and just focus on the integrated living space aspect of it, then the closest thing we've come to realizing a persistent arcological space is a 20th century inception being the university/college campus with its walkable avenues to span the entire day of academic labors. Later on it was only natural for large corporations like Google and other companies to follow suit and create similar work parks in hopes of better erasing the line between work and checkout time.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

olives black posted:

The point is to not have other buildings.

This sort of idea has been proposed before and while pretty good on paper when you get around to who actually implemented these philosophies its fascists all the way down.

"One big building where everyone lives" inevitably becomes:

"lets raze established minority neighbourhoods and give them massive towers volumetrically divided into the smallest habitable units and pat ourselves on the back for the modern, renewed, city we've created"

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

SlothfulCobra posted:

I don't really see the point in trying to make some grand scheme to get all of them in the same building,

because arcologies are used as shorthand for "the future" in movies and sci fi and stuff and goons primarily understand the world through consumption of pop culture

Poohs Packin posted:

"lets raze established minority neighbourhoods and give them massive towers volumetrically divided into the smallest habitable units and pat ourselves on the back for the modern, renewed, city we've created"

le corbusier would kick your narrow rear end for talking poo poo like this

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

I JUST TOOK A TREMENDOUS poo poo!!!

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Poohs Packin posted:

This sort of idea has been proposed before and while pretty good on paper when you get around to who actually implemented these philosophies its fascists all the way down.

:(

I don't wanna do that, I just want to make a new building like this

EVERY TIME GOING posted:

In Destiny 2's lore the New Pacific Arcology was built on Saturn's moon Titan during the period of the Golden Age. It featured a massive city dome anchored to the submerged glacial shelf below one of Titan's methane oceans with its state of the art living and research facilities perpetually powered by an array of massive tidal generators. It was one of the more scenic locations in game with its high ceiling space odyssey plazas ringed by slick oil rig catwalks. And it's regrettable that Bungie decided to vault this map among others during the roadmap reshuffle in 2020 robbing the current generation of players out of a great scifi experience.

maybe it's just not meant to happen in my lifetime :smith:

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

because arcologies are used as shorthand for "the future" in movies and sci fi and stuff and goons primarily understand the world through consumption of pop culture

le corbusier would kick your narrow rear end for talking poo poo like this

Corbusier rage quit Russia for not picking his castle design like a little babby. I would swirly his milhouse lookin' rear end.

Squee
Jun 15, 2003
<3
I grew up in Sterling Heights, and Lakeside Mall was a shithole back then that we only ever went to for the cheap $2 movie theater showing 6 month old movies, I can only imagine the state it is in now 20 years later.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Squee posted:

I grew up in Sterling Heights, and Lakeside Mall was a shithole back then that we only ever went to for the cheap $2 movie theater showing 6 month old movies, I can only imagine the state it is in now 20 years later.

I remember it being a lot of fun back in the 90's :shrug:

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Squee posted:

You would think a sprawling, culturally devoid suburban wasteland that's frozen half the year like SE Michigan would be capable of supporting some decent malls but most of them have failed catastrophically.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
how does sex work in an arcology?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Poohs Packin posted:

Also they never want to pay for maintenance.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Ups_rail posted:

All sex is restricted to the orgy room.

It's just the most efficient use of space that way.

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Also they never want to pay for maintenance.

The perfect arcology is made from gleaming white Renderite and chromed titanium coated in sapphire glass. It will look as new long after the human race are but a layer of brittle dry skulls in a lasting silence of their own making.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

dont worry op, saudi arabia will make your arcology dream come true including robot maids and delivery drones and a completely reasonable transport system. totally not a grift to steal money from western investors

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kz5vEqdaSc

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Ups_rail posted:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_World_Inside

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

Ups_rail posted:

Very well thanks for asking

naem
May 29, 2011

Poohs Packin posted:

You would think a sprawling, culturally devoid suburban wasteland that's frozen half the year like SE Michigan would be capable of supporting some decent malls but most of them have failed catastrophically.

people need jobs to earn money to have money to spend

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

Your body is a temple arcology, and a daily off-brand digestive probiotic can help to keep the tower plumbing running smoothly. Speaking of natural enduring arcologies - the end result of the millions of years of evolutionary perestroika, like the Caribbean corals home to the most diverse selection of sponges and tunicates nesting within its intricate lattice. Or the ubiquitous anthill that's been a dear inspiration for so many grifting visionaries in the grandiose of their failures as long as gullible investors have been standing upright.

Nyan Bread fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Nov 28, 2022

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
Lest we forget that the original arcology, the tower of babel, was destroyed by God.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

naem posted:

people need jobs to earn money to have money to spend

The mall in question straddles the county with the highest median household income in the state at around 80k/yr.

The county its actually in makes about 65k/yr.

Now, malls typically undergo a slow death. Lakeside was in decline since the early 2000s and GFC definitely hurt.

But SE Michigan is pock marked with failed malls or malls hanging on by a thread (looking at you Oakland).

The only two viable ones are Somerset, which is crazy high end, and Great Lakes Crossing, which is an outlet mall.

I think its really just a combo of online shopping, the failure of big box stores, and people hating the idea of "just walking around" as leisure. SE michigan is also horribly planned generally and there aren't any controls in place to prevent centres from competing each other out of business. Every other development is some big box strip mall.