Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Poohs Packin posted:

The mall in question straddles the county with the highest median household income in the state at around 80k/yr.

The county its actually in makes about 65k/yr.

Now, malls typically undergo a slow death. Lakeside was in decline since the early 2000s and GFC definitely hurt.

But SE Michigan is pock marked with failed malls or malls hanging on by a thread (looking at you Oakland).

The only two viable ones are Somerset, which is crazy high end, and Great Lakes Crossing, which is an outlet mall.

I think its really just a combo of online shopping, the failure of big box stores, and people hating the idea of "just walking around" as leisure. SE michigan is also horribly planned generally and there aren't any controls in place to prevent centres from competing each other out of business. Every other development is some big box strip mall.

Before COVID I didn't hate "just walking around." Enjoyed it quite a bit, in fact.

An arcology where everyone's forced to actually look at each other regularly might go some distance to making people act correctly during pandemics. It might take setting one up on a hell planet (like that Destiny dome) where gently caress-ups can immediately kill a bunch of people for the person-to-person proximity to have the intended effect, though. It's too easy to hide everyone's individual suffering in the exurbs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

olives black posted:

Before COVID I didn't hate "just walking around." Enjoyed it quite a bit, in fact.

An arcology where everyone's forced to actually look at each other regularly might go some distance to making people act correctly during pandemics.

Pandemic is a worst-case-scenario for an arcology, it'd be impossibly difficult to control.

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

A few well placed blast doors and a centrally controlled block purging system would be able to take care of any pathogen threats, human or xeno.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

MikeJF posted:

Pandemic is a worst-case-scenario for an arcology, it'd be impossibly difficult to control.

Not if you build it right and confine people to quarters when it happens

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast
it's best possible scenario if everyone gets their own dome

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Pac and Cheese posted:

it's best possible scenario if everyone gets their own dome

no that's just SE Michigan

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Poohs Packin posted:

The mall in question straddles the county with the highest median household income in the state at around 80k/yr.

The county its actually in makes about 65k/yr.

Now, malls typically undergo a slow death. Lakeside was in decline since the early 2000s and GFC definitely hurt.

But SE Michigan is pock marked with failed malls or malls hanging on by a thread (looking at you Oakland).

The only two viable ones are Somerset, which is crazy high end, and Great Lakes Crossing, which is an outlet mall.

I think its really just a combo of online shopping, the failure of big box stores, and people hating the idea of "just walking around" as leisure. SE michigan is also horribly planned generally and there aren't any controls in place to prevent centres from competing each other out of business. Every other development is some big box strip mall.

Doesn't help a lot of malls love to kill themselves with strip-mining late capitalist business practices, like raising rents and driving out anchor stores til they end up filled with crap.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

olives black posted:

yeah man let's build this arcology right for a pandemic. so first off, obviously, no big communal utilities, anything that involves everyone breathing everyone else's air is a immediately self-defeating. Lots of little buildings, spread well apart, so that they can be easily quarantined off, and lots of little distributed stores and parks and services and stuff to service those sub-buildings so there's no central point of failure or mass infection. Mass transit's asking for an outbreak, so everyone gets their own car to traverse the now much more distributed arcology. And since there's not much to do in a pandemic when you're confined to quarters but go outside, every household gets about an acre or so of land, HOA mandated lawn 1-1.5" in length for optimal ease of maintenance and pest mitigation.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Nov 29, 2022

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

yeah man let's build this arcology right for a pandemic. so first off, obviously, no big communal utilities, anything that involves everyone breathing everyone else's air is a immediately self-defeating. Lots of little buildings, spread well apart, so that they can be easily quarantined off, and lots of little distributed stores and parks and services and stuff to service those sub-buildings so there's no central point of failure or mass infection. Mass transit's asking for an outbreak, so everyone gets their own commuter car. And since there's not much to do in a pandemic when you're confined to quarters every household gets about a personal acre or so of land, HOA mandated lawn 1-1.5" in length for optimal ease of maintenance and pest mitigation.

How about

- state of the art HVAC, air filtration and monitoring
- strict emergency lockdown protocols with regular drills
- N95 stockpiles within easy reach everywhere

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

just wait for VR tech to evolve, then everyone in an arcology can have their own sealed glass tube to eat and poo poo in while they live out their 80s nostalgia RPO-like VR world

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

olives black posted:

How about

all that poo poo woulda been nice if it were unfailingly correctly implemented anywhere in the real world too but I don't think you can handwave away a problem just because you've imagined a scenario that'd make it 100x worse

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
what about mall of america?

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

olives black posted:

How about

What about a state supermax facility?

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
Ever been to Montreal? A fairly substantial chunk of downtown is all connected through underground passages. You can walk from the green line to the orange line without stepping outside. No domes though.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

If only there was something we could do with communal areas that would improve people's lives...

No, shops!

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

I remember going to a movie night for the planning and architecture school and we watched THX1138.

The architect students: "wowe such arcology. underground city."

Planners: "this is turbo fascism"

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

halokiller posted:

just wait for VR tech to evolve, then everyone in an arcology can have their own sealed glass tube to eat and poo poo in while they live out their 80s nostalgia RPO-like VR world

Honestly I'm hoping this is what my nursing home experience is like when I'm elderly.

(Lol nah nursing homes will be gone because we'll be living in mad max)

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
We will have game boys. Pokemon will be fine when I'm senile.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

As long as they produce affordable arthritis-friendly controllers.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

HappyHippo posted:

Ever been to Montreal? A fairly substantial chunk of downtown is all connected through underground passages. You can walk from the green line to the orange line without stepping outside. No domes though.

I watched a video recently about the Toronto PATH. I wanna check it out real bad

Ups_rail posted:

what about mall of america?

I kinda want to see this too eventually

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

olives black posted:

I watched a video recently about the Toronto PATH. I wanna check it out real bad

My question about places like that is: are they open 24 hours (or more generally treated as a public right of way)? Because otherwise that's just a novelty mall

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Brutal Garcon posted:

My question about places like that is: are they open 24 hours (or more generally treated as a public right of way)? Because otherwise that's just a novelty mall

PATH at least is 24/7, can't speak to the others but probably the same. The stores attached keep their regular hours.

Transportation corridors for when it's so cold outside your eyeballs freeze. It's a good thing to have.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

There's also the Chicago Pedway, the Minneapolis Skyway, and the Houston Downtown Tunnels. But I don't know if there's any apartment buildings directly connected to the networks. Probably not.

There's a lot of futurist ideas about cities, as they grow bigger, the buildings merging together across the streets, but the main obstacle to that (other than people valuing outdoor spaces) is that these big buildings are privately owned by independent groups who aren't likely to sell out to their neighbors to make their buildings into more cohesive units, and the private owners also aren't likely to want to maintain their buildings as public spaces either, which is why a lot of these indoor walkways close at night.

Cincinnati had their Skywalk, but they dismantled it both because they wanted to increase ground level foot traffic to revitalize the downtown and because the original deal that the city had made to run walkways through private buildings made it unclear who was responsible for upkeep and there was some amount of disrepair.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Let the skywalks fall into disrepair. Graffiti the walls and fill em full of rubbish and metal trash cans, overflowing.

Dirty alleywats all the way up to the the sky is the future we were promised drat it!

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

dr_rat posted:

Let the skywalks fall into disrepair. Graffiti the walls and fill em full of rubbish and metal trash cans, overflowing.

Dirty alleywats all the way up to the the sky is the future we were promised drat it!

I was hoping for post-scarcity Star Trek future personally

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

MikeJF posted:

This is what the inside of your arcology would look like

But forever

A paradise

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

What if it's silent?

Why is trey parker planting trees

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Grand Fromage posted:

I played stupendous amounts of SimCity 2000 as a kid and once my dad and I went to Arizona. I knew that Arcosanti was there because of one of the SC2000 books I had, and I wanted to visit it. The first real arcology! My dreams.

Then you get there and it's this tiny rear end little hill village that supports itself by selling bells. I was so loving mad.

Your dad took you there because you had to learn. And I think you did. Good dad

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

olives black posted:

we're probably just gonna keep using cities rather than the big prison idea

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Please accept my sincere arcology, OP

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

op wants humanity to live in cell blox

munce
Oct 23, 2010

This place exists but i'm pretty sure you have to win some kind of televised death game before they let you in.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Worse, you have to go to cornwall

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Strategic Tea posted:

If only there was something we could do with communal areas that would improve people's lives...

No, shops!

Skate parks
Paintball arenas
Fetish dungeons

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
gotta say living in a silent running-type ship out in space keeps sounding better and better

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Howard Beale posted:

gotta say living in a silent running-type ship out in space keeps sounding better and better

Yeah it'd be p rad.

Anyhoo the alg recommended me this channel today.

https://youtu.be/BsHCXIDgDfY

This vid is a tour of some half-dead Arizona mall before it closes for the night. It has one of those copy-paste shitball arcades that's just a Marvel machine and a bunch of ripoff crane games. There's one at Twelve Oaks in Michigan and it looks nearly identical.

One :unsmith: feature of it is that the hobby store moved into one of the bigger spots and put in a bunch of RC car racing tracks.

naem
May 29, 2011

Howard Beale posted:

shack in the woods, herd of goats

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

naem posted:

shack in the woods, herd of goats

Goats are pretty awesome

naem