Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Presumably law enforcement is involved because the victims wanted them involved. Is the argument that the DA should decline to pursue the case against the victims wishes even though it clearly meets the definition of assault, or that the victim is being a pussy and needs to rub some dirt on it and move on?

ultimately I wish college football didn’t exist so these things wouldn’t happen. then I wish that we had a rehabilitative rather than a punitative justice system. next my argument is that you can describe this as sad without making either of the cases you currently are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Waifu Radia posted:

ultimately I wish college football didn’t exist so these things wouldn’t happen. then I wish that we had a rehabilitative rather than a punitative justice system. next my argument is that you can describe this as sad without making either of the cases you currently are.

Yes, it’s sad, it’s also entirely appropriate they law enforcement got involved. Those aren’t mutually exclusive and in fact correlate quite often.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

YOLOsubmarine posted:

I don’t think it’s unreasonable to expect people to be able to separate the violence inherent in their profession from general unsanctioned violence, otherwise I owe apologies to a lot of police and military.

Yeah I don’t disagree. I guess it doesn’t feel completely black and white for me because of the emotion inherent in competition but yeah there’s not an objective argument against LE being involved.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

You expect to get tackled on the field and you agreed to get tackled. You did not agree to get pounded on in a stadium tunnel with a weapon. That's enough of a distinction for me.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Sash! posted:

You expect to get tackled on the field and you agreed to get tackled. You did not agree to get pounded on in a stadium tunnel with a weapon. That's enough of a distinction for me.

I’m definitely overthinking it. I’d make a terrible prosecutor.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
Would you make a good plaintiff's attorney?
https://www.al.com/educationlab/202...ll-program.html

quote:

A five-year-long lawsuit resolved last week when an Alabama jury found that an Auburn professor was unfairly targeted after he complained about the high concentration of athletes in the school’s public administration program.

An Alabama jury awarded Michael Stern $645,837 in damages, finding after a two-week trial that Stern’s former dean illegally punished him for speaking out. The jury did not agree with similar complaints against other university officials named as defendants.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
I remember when I was looking at postgrad schools and deciding between the MBA and MPA, considering I was going to probably stay in government the rest of my life.

I didn't hear a single complementary thing about MPAs in comparison. So I went MBA.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
I just feel very uneasy about involving law enforcement and the full force of the law in a situation like this. I realize this was not on the field, the game was over, and it was in the tunnel but there are very few situations where something that ostensibly takes place on the field/court/ice makes it way into the justice system and the times it has its typically been very very extreme.

My hope would be for the 2 teams, the players, and the schools could come to some sort of restorative justice situation rather than possibly saddling a young man with a felony that he will carry. Although that seemed like it was out the window almost immediately as Harbaugh noted that an apology wasn't enough and that he expected criminal charges. Again, completely fine for it to go this route but I felt like the circumstances, the "heated rivalry," etc. But it is what it is. I know not everyone agrees with me and thats fine as well.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
They'll likely end up with pleas deals for misdemeanors and get conmunity service. Can this dumb derail be over?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Ches Neckbeard posted:

They'll likely end up with pleas deals for misdemeanors and get conmunity service. Can this dumb derail be over?

Not yet because I want to start my lifelong argument about pleaded vs pled. I am absolutely on team pled.

Er to college fooball...in interesting lines this week Texas is -8.5 against Baylor. That seems large to me, Baylor can play a little bit and Texas is always a half second away from imploding.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Grittybeard posted:

Er to college fooball...in interesting lines this week Texas is -8.5 against Baylor. That seems large to me, Baylor can play a little bit and Texas is always a half second away from imploding.

It's Texas. Thus there are Texas fans laying money. Of course it's a silly line, it's intent is to profit off of silly people..

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
I'm curious what would be the restorative justice outcome to this? Can the players involved unbeat this person?

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Ches Neckbeard posted:

only in this situation: we all talk about how much we hate ohio state

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Now I'm no ethics lawyer, but maybe you should look at an ethics policy where all it takes to one weird trick anti nepotism is to simply put on paper they have a different boss despite in all aspects they report directly to the nepotism person both day to day work and long term.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

All I want to know is how a team can be projected to score negative points.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Good back-to-back posts.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Grittybeard posted:

Not yet because I want to start my lifelong argument about pleaded vs pled. I am absolutely on team pled.

Probably because it's @ Texas, that adds, what, 3 - 6 points? Also, it'll probably be raining.

Pitt only a 6.5 favorite against Miami is similar but it's @ Miami. I feel like Texas is a harder away game than Miami, but drat that rain, who knows?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Grittybeard posted:

It’s a pretty big line, but we’ve seen a broad range of outcomes from both of these teams. It’s certainly plausible that Baylor comes out flat and hung over from last week and gets blown out of the water, but on the other hand Texas seems capable of laying an egg at any time.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

KKKLIP ART posted:

Through Christ all things are possible.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

downout posted:

Probably because it's @ Texas, that adds, what, 3 - 6 points? Also, it'll probably be raining.

The general wisdom is home field is worth seven points in NCAA, 3 points in the NFL. So Vegas "thinks" Texas would be a 1.5-point favorite on a neutral field.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Judgy Fucker posted:

The general wisdom is home field is worth seven points in NCAA, 3 points in the NFL. So Vegas "thinks" Texas would be a 1.5-point favorite on a neutral field.

Any idea if they adjust those 7 points by team?

For example, @Cinci v Tulane versus @Iowa v Nebraska. Seems like Iowa is a tougher place to play than Cincinnati.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

downout posted:

Any idea if they adjust those 7 points by team?

For example, @Cinci v Tulane versus @Iowa v Nebraska. Seems like Iowa is a tougher place to play than Cincinnati.

I don't think it's a hard and fast thing, more like a heuristic. Certain home fields definitely have a bigger advantage than others.

Pretty sure the NFL thing is pretty close to actual 3 points, though.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Judgy Fucker posted:

If they’re an 8.5 point favorite at home that means they’re 5-5.5 favorite on a neutral field. They’d be a 1.5 favorite in Waco.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

KKKLIP ART posted:

Defensive touchdowns :v:

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

General Dog posted:

If they’re an 8.5 point favorite at home that means they’re 5-5.5 favorite on a neutral field. They’d be a 1.5 favorite in Waco.

:doh: Yeah, that’s right.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

General Dog posted:

So the 6 ~ 7 points is a swing from home to away :thumbsup: i'm learning something new every day!

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Yeah when I guess what the line is going to be, I picture the teams playing in a featureless void in my mind’s eye and then tack on 3.5 points to the team that’s hosting.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Yeah generally you work who's house it's at into the lines although it's not as hard and fast as "its at Texas, they lay 3 more"

With that said Texas by slightly under a TD on a neutral field feels about right to me

actually at this point in the season my Texas heuristic is "could Bijan Robinson beat this team single-handedly" and while Baylor has a decent rush D, I can still see it happening

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

I'm surprised that Tennessee is still a 14 point favorite with Hooker out

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

fast cars loose anus posted:

Yeah generally you work who's house it's at into the lines although it's not as hard and fast as "its at Texas, they lay 3 more"

With that said Texas by slightly under a TD on a neutral field feels about right to me

actually at this point in the season my Texas heuristic is "could Bijan Robinson beat this team single-handedly" and while Baylor has a decent rush D, I can still see it happening

I feel like TCU had the blueprint, which is pretty obvious, but just stack the box.

A lot of the reason Texas is a bad second-half team is because so many schools have insisted on seeing it for themselves that Bijan can run for 200 yards and 3 TDs in the first half alone, and then they go full-out against the run in the second half. TCU was the only team this year to just start out with a goal-line defense and shut us the gently caress down from the start.

So Baylor's got a good run D, if they stack the box from the start, they can win.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Komet posted:

Vandy have a winning streak now, but its still Vandy

Judgy Fucker posted:

I thought home field was 3 in NCAA like the NFL. Huh

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Any guesses what is going to come of this in the end (Jeremy Pruitt deceived us: Tennessee responds to NCAA notice of allegations):

https://www.knoxnews.com/story/spor...or/10285139002/

Komet posted:

Tennessee is still ranked number 1 in total offense and has a lot of talent (the WRs are some of the best in nation). Vandy is 95th in total offense, but I am sure we will make them look better than that. Who knows which D for Tennessee is going to show? The one from last week or the one from the UK game. Also, Milton's stats for the year during garbage time:

23 of 33 for 573 yards. 69.7 completion percentage
17.4 yards average
6 TDS and 0 INT
0 sacks
Rushed 7 times for 72 yards
10.3 yards per carry

Based on all that I can see why they are still a 14 point favorite. Still the question is can Milton play like that as a starter or is it still old Milton after almost 2 years of being a back-up to Hooker? The one good thing out of this whole thing is we don't have to wait until 2023 to find out now.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Lol that it was corrected to being a CFA bags from McDonald’s bags

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

A chik fil a bag full of cash is the most SEC thing ever

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Komet posted:

A chik fil a bag full of cash is the most SEC thing ever
When the initial reports came out everyone's first reaction really was "why not Chik-fil-a?"

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
With NIL I can't get worked up about bag men.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

LLCoolJD posted:

With NIL I can't get worked up about bag men.

It is pretty funny hearing the number thrown out there for infractions was like $60k after seeing what these kids are pulling down with NIL.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

I missed the talk about the MSU guys but they will all plead out to probation if they don't have prior crimes as adults, which I'm assuming they don't.

The felony charge will get chopped to misdemeanor and that kid might get a month of a suspended sentence. His career is over, the other guys who knows.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
NIL is cool and good but also these kids are actual legal adults whose unpaid labor enriches the already wealthy.

Pruitt sucks and broke rules, and fine, whatever, but not one active player in any NCAAF program in the country ought to be going without.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
lol if we beat Baylor I’m gonna be rooting for Kansas so hard because Texas ending up in the B12 title game with 4 losses would be hilarious and I’d still probably give us a solid 40% chance of knocking off TCU.

Then for maximum hilarity we’d need to horribly lose a bowl game. What is the status of a coach/program who has just finished a conference championship season but still had a single digit win total and ended with a terrible loss?