Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

NIL was worth it if only so Dacoldest Crawford could make an ad for an HVAC company.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

KKKLIP ART posted:

NIL was worth it if only so Dacoldest Crawford could make an ad for an HVAC company.

Shame that Peerless Price came along a generation too early

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Thermos H Christ posted:

lol if we beat Baylor I’m gonna be rooting for Kansas so hard because Texas ending up in the B12 title game with 4 losses would be hilarious and I’d still probably give us a solid 40% chance of knocking off TCU.

Then for maximum hilarity we’d need to horribly lose a bowl game. What is the status of a coach/program who has just finished a conference championship season but still had a single digit win total and ended with a terrible loss?

In 2012, an 8-4 Wisconsin went to the Rose Bowl and lost to Stanford. I believe this was one of the years Ohio State went undefeated with Meyer and wasn prohibited from the postseason.

I'm pretty sure I could go back another decade to find other 8-4. Big Ten teams losing the Rose Bowl. The late 90s / early 00s Big Ten was not very good.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I think the Ron Zook Illinois team was 9-3 but spiritually 7-5.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

KKKLIP ART posted:

Parents going to get creative with names just for the future NIL money.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Hearing big things about class of 2040's Paymi N'Kripto

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
Today I wore my "Beat Vanderbilt" shirt and had some Rutgers alumna initiate a serious "hello fellow collegiate football fan" conversation. I may have accidentally burned a bridge because she did not know that I am a proud enemy of Rutger's athletics and I did not realize that she was a scarlet dame, a damned chanticleer.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Trying to imagine meeting a Rutgers fan in real life

I dont even know where Rutgers fuckin is

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Soul Glo posted:

It's the state university of New Jersey

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Soul Glo posted:

Me, the Rutgers AD lying through my teeth to the Big 10 commissioner: It's in the New York City media market.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Henchman of Santa posted:

It's the state university of New Jersey

What's a New Jersey?

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Cthulu Carl posted:

What's a New Jersey?

not much, what's new jersey with you

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Soul Glo posted:

wasn't there a Rutgers superfan that used to post in here?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

rip KJI

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

I should state that I have an absolutely goldfish memory for individual posters and their backgrounds, which is why I was a terrible mod

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Soul Glo posted:

One of my law school roommates went to Rutgers, as did two other law school friends. I spent multiple weekends where their Rutgers crew would come to town and we'd all hang. I'm p sure I've still never met a Rutgers football fan.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Ranked every week? Auburn needs to hire this man immediately!

https://twitter.com/ADavidHaleJoint/status/1595992073941155840

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
A buddy of mine in law school went to Rutgers and said they would get door prizes for attending games.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

I'm not a betting man, but I have a hard time seeing Iowa -10.5.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Look, initially I liked the idea of the "retired ref in the COMMAND STUDIO going over the call review for the audience," but it's now wayyyy overused and exists mostly so Matt Austin can meekly defend crap calls by Regions Bank middle manager chuds. Last night's Egg Bowl was brutal for this, just Austin yammering on and on about how the call was clearly about to make sense and then hurr durr it's actually an IN-inadvertent whistle.

End this. No one likes it.

(also Stetson didn't fumble)

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Yeah Matt Austin is really bad at it. The ones who are too afraid to be wrong and just want to toe the company line and protect the refs seem to struggle. It’s ok to disagree with the refs! I don’t remember which game it was but I was watching a Notre Dame game a few weeks back and they went to Trey McAulley. The first words out of his mouth after back to back plays where PI was thrown on the field was “Yeah so neither of those were pass interference” and gave his explanation for why he thought the call on the field were incorrect for both of those.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

https://twitter.com/RedDirtSport/status/1512153958420254724?s=20&t=ELwhnyc7rM6awv6kbS6-Vg

So badly want this (or something similar) to happen

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Yeah since we are never getting LSU back for the Black Friday slot I would be down for this

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

chaoslord posted:

Yeah since we are never getting LSU back for the Black Friday slot I would be down for this

I think it'd be cool for OU and Arkansas to play in Tulsa every now and then, but there's no facility remotely big enough for it and one will not be getting built, so rip.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
If the SEC stays at 8 games, I don’t see any good reason OU and OkSt don’t just continue Bedlam as an out of conference rivalry. Is a non-conference schedule of OSU, another P5 matchup, a G5 and an FCS really that taxing?

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
sobriety is for the weak and the stupid

General Dog posted:

If the SEC stays at 8 games, I don’t see any good reason OU and OkSt don’t just continue Bedlam as an out of conference rivalry. Is a non-conference schedule of OSU, another P5 matchup, a G5 and an FCS really that taxing?

The same reason Texas-TAMU didn't got yearly ooc. Or KU-Mizzou. There's lots of reason other than "yeah the numbers work out" series die. Not least among them becuase feelings get hurt. People at OK State have basically already admitted that the game is dead on an annual basis with the SEC move by OU.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

drunk leprechaun posted:

The same reason Texas-TAMU didn't got yearly ooc. Or KU-Mizzou. There's lots of reason other than "yeah the numbers work out" series die. Not least among them becuase feelings get hurt. People at OK State have basically already admitted that the game is dead on an annual basis with the SEC move by OU.

Yeah, the general impressions I've gotten from ~*rumors*~ and reading between the lines of official statements is OU's position is "We'd like to keep playing, but whatever" and OSU's is "gently caress you!!! We don't need you!"

Which, to OSU's credit, is probably true at this point. They've built themselves a good brand and the nuBig12 is looking to be a competent football conference (and will be a men's basketball powerhouse).

Someone a few weeks ago asked about why conferences and schools care about academics with regard to conference membership, and the answer is "powerful people care." Here it's the same thing: "powerful people got their feelings hurt by OU's move, so the series will die."

Also, I'd wager some good money the SEC is going to 9 games. I just don't see how an 8 game schedule in a 16 team conference works out in this era of CFB.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Judgy Fucker posted:

I think it'd be cool for OU and Arkansas to play in Tulsa every now and then, but there's no facility remotely big enough for it and one will not be getting built, so rip.

You'll play in loving Jerryworld and line Jerry Jones's pockets

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

I wonder which UF will show up tonight.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Judgy Fucker posted:

Yeah, the general impressions I've gotten from ~*rumors*~ and reading between the lines of official statements is OU's position is "We'd like to keep playing, but whatever" and OSU's is "gently caress you!!! We don't need you!"

Which, to OSU's credit, is probably true at this point.

OU has been dominating the series. So I don't blame Oklahoma State for avoiding a nearly annual loss.

Florida, Kentucky, Georgia, and South Carolina play OOC rivalry games so it's doable when the programs want it.

LeeMajors posted:

Search your feelings. We know the answer. :emo:

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

LLCoolJD posted:

Search your feelings. We know the answer. :emo:

I know, ugh. FSU’s run game gonna gently caress us up harder than Travis Stephens.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

tactlessbastard posted:

You'll play in loving Jerryworld and line Jerry Jones's pockets

I don't know how I forgot about this. Goddamn it.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy

LeeMajors posted:

I know, ugh. FSU’s run game gonna gently caress us up harder than Travis Stephens.

pbuh

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Judgy Fucker posted:

I think it would be really cool, I enjoyed last year basketball at BOK and am looking forward to it again in a few weeks, but yeah think you are right about not having a good enough stadium for it

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

In an ideal world OU, Arkansas, and Mizzou will all play each other every year and there can be something like the Commander-in-Chief’s Trophy for the champion of the Ozarks.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

LeeMajors posted:

Hard to imagine a win.

https://twitter.com/gatordave_sec/status/1595515735320715264?s=46&t=NDy443z9gNHwVirRKyUJ9g

But it’s a rivalry game and those are weird!

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Komet posted:

I'm not a betting man, but I have a hard time seeing Iowa -10.5.

If iowa shuts out nebraska then no problem. Of course then iowa will probably win 8 - 0 because ferentz is a sicko.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Ehud posted:

Hard to imagine a win.

https://twitter.com/gatordave_sec/status/1595515735320715264?s=46&t=NDy443z9gNHwVirRKyUJ9g

But it’s a rivalry game and those are weird!

Glad I get to miss the first half at work.

Maybe we will get a beatable bowl opponent. :ohdear:

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

LeeMajors posted:

Glad I get to miss the first half at work.

Maybe we will get a beatable bowl opponent. :ohdear:

I think we have a chance if:

- Napier wants to run the ball. If we have another inexplicable day of Richardson sailing passes to WR6 and WR7, we’re going to lose by 3 scores minimum.

- Richardson is willing to keep on option plays.

- We go like +2 on turnovers.

so yeah, not a bad game to miss because all that probably ain’t happening lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Ehud posted:

so yeah, not a bad game to miss because all that probably ain’t happening lol

I’m glad I got to witness the SC beat down this year at least.