Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
I can just imagine what a mess barfing up 36 oysters would make. and the smell!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

PokeJoe posted:

i asked myself this exact same question a few years ago. A friend and I were trying to figure out the "oyster limit" and at first we went to a restaurant with happy hour oysters. The Oyster Limit there was 48 because after that they wouldn't sell me any more. Then I went to a seafood market and bought my own oysters and learned that my limit for home oysters is much lower because shucking them sucks rear end and I'm bad at it. I never did learn the oyster limit but I'm glad to see other people other there taking a stab at solving this one of life's great mysteries.

Speaking of stabbing don't try to use a paring knife to shuck em or youre gonna feel real fuckin stupid on the way to the emergency room! PSA!

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

I put away beds full of oysters

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

The current Guinness record holder Colin Shirlow ate 233 oysters at Hillsborough Oyster Festival in 2005 in under 3 minutes

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

I put away beds full of oysters

Also, on the Internet nobody knows you're a walrus

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

Haverchuck posted:

Speaking of stabbing don't try to use a paring knife to shuck em or youre gonna feel real fuckin stupid on the way to the emergency room! PSA!

I know someone who has a chain mail glove and a homemade jig (board + nails) for holding the oyster.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

The one dad food that got passed on to me is smoked oyster from a can on a cracker with hot sauce...slice of cheddar cheese is also acceptable

A full can is a bit too many if you add cheese IMO.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
I worked with a guy who was on the show Monsters Inside Me because he got a flesh eating disease in his arm from eating dodgy oysters

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

One of the Wright brothers also died from a bad oyster I think

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

PokeJoe posted:

One of the Wright brothers also died from a bad oyster I think

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

I have eaten raw oysters before. It's like eating snot
salty snot

oysters are filter feeders

they eat and accumulate all the poo poo that's in the water and pass it to you when you eat them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGJLKhsLx18

you can catch hepatitis from human poop eaten by the oysters

the ocean is bountiful

frumpykvetchbot fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Nov 23, 2022

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
i've never put an oyster on a cracker. need the shell so i can keep score

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Bon apetit. :discourse:

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
I actually had this conversation with my sister recently, as we are both big fans. She agreed with me that the upper limit is very hard to determine. I've always had a pretty small appetite, so it's weird for a food's limiting factor to be its cost for me. I love sushi for example, but I've definitely gotten to the point where I can't eat any more of it, even if it were being given to me for free. With oysters, I don't think I've ever gotten close. I ate 2 dozen one time but I think they were like $2.50 each and the end was nowhere in sight so I gave up. I'm guessing I'd probably start feeling weird at around 50.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Also BigBadSteve aren't you Australian? How have you never had an oyster before, you're surrounded by them lol

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

If you buy smoked oysters check the country of production and maybe pick one that isn't rich in industrial waste runoff.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

North Atlantic and especially PEI oysters beat the fuckin brakes off most Aussie oysters. Tassie oysters are pretty drat nice though.

I've easily put back a dozen oysters on many occasions.

I was serving oysters on a boat once and the crowd wasn't going for them so ended up eating about 25 in the galley with a bottle of champagne, half a baguette and some good French butter.

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
Ew gross ocean snot and poo stuff ocean bad. Hang on let me drink some liquid that was made in a cows udder. Also I'll let it get old and turn into cheese. If I'm feeling adventurous I will let some literal mould grow on the cheese before I eat it. gently caress these nuggets are delicious, can really taste the chicken buttholes etc etc

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I've eaten half a case of 80-100 before in one sitting. there's no such thing as too many

The Hello Machine
Jul 19, 2021

I'm not a real machine, but I am a real Hello-sayer.
Are oysters like clams? I've only had those. If they are then maybe a couple to a few is enough? Possibly more. It also depends on how hungry you are. Hope this helps.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

poverty goat posted:

I've eaten half a case of 80-100 before in one sitting. there's no such thing as too many

The human stomach hits the danger zone at 5+ quarts of ingested food. This suggests that every oyster past around the 160th oyster consumed puts you at greater risk of rupture. 200+ oysters in one sitting would likely guarantee injury for all but outliers, and 300+ would almost certainly be a death sentence.

The world record in competitive oyster eating seems to be 492 oysters eaten in 27 minutes by a two man team of Québécois back at the start of 2020—which, assuming they devoured these oysters at roughly the same rate, means they tapped out at ~250 oysters each. This actual peak performance aligns perfectly with the hypothetical limits of man vs oyster. :science:

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

That’s a clam
:goonsay:

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

Dick Fontaine posted:

That’s a clam
:goonsay:

🤫

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

frumpykvetchbot posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGJLKhsLx18

you can catch hepatitis from human poop eaten by the oysters

Yeah, I think I'm good on eating Oysters then. I love seafood, but raw Oysters are a bridge too far.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Bought a whole bunch of mussels. Anyone cop those raw?

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

numberoneposter posted:

Bought a whole bunch of mussels. Anyone cop those raw?

make moules mariniere!

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Never seen raw mussels being sold as ready to eat, it's probably forbidden for some reason

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Pickled mussels are pretty good, but I think those may be cooked first

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

i love oysters

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

One. They taste like someone honked a greenie into a shell.

I can’t believe you had up to 40

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
can I pound raw oysters if I'm vaccinated against Hep A or is that just dancing with the devil

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010
found the op

Dial A For Awesome
May 23, 2009
The answer depends on how big the oysters are. Sure you could eat loads of little ones, but if the oyster is the size of a paddling pool then one is the limit.

Leper Go-getter
Nov 7, 2010
One horse sized oyster or 10 fifth grader oysters.
I'm not asking here lets go

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Goin ham on the clam.

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

Never take a lover who doesn’t enjoy oysters, imo.

Never be one, either.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Ever have Oysters Rockefeller?

They are pretty dang good.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Das Boo posted:

Ever have Oysters Rockefeller?

They are pretty dang good.

No, turns out it isn't 1988 any more.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

SilvergunSuperman posted:

No, turns out it isn't 1988 any more.

Everything that happened the year I was born is eternal, to me.

naem
May 29, 2011

oysters were definitely originally one of those “well, I don’t want to starve” foods

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest
all foods were.