Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Drakyn posted:

However, a tragic counterpoint: CS Lewis believed in angels and as we all are aware CS Lewis was wrong about literally (in the most factual and non-hyperbolic sense) everything ever.

CS Lewis also wrote a book where one guy continues to get condemned to hell for not being able to accept that heaven would let in murderers because they repented on their death bed instead of them trying to be good people after loving up, so this checks out.

Like, the guy gets to heaven after being in hell, discovers the guide he was appointed is a mass murderer (who God is suggested to have appointed, meaning this was probably all planned out and God knew the man would be horrified and disgusted by what he discovers) or something like that, and freaks out at what this has to mean for heaven and the sort of people who do and don't get in. People don't get in on merit of at least trying to follow some standard of empathic or compassionate morality but by submission to an unaccountable power that cares nothing for what people are actually going through.

He then points out that it's not really good that matters but apologizing and bowing before the lord and despite his own flaws (he is in hell, remember, though this entire exchange makes the reasoning behind it suspect and more than a bit dubious as it comes off more on him not conforming to the expectations of the reigning power that is heaven than over any true even half hearted or faltering attempt at empathic morality) recognizes that this is kind of loving monstrous due to how it relegates the pain of the victims into not mattering in favor of an afterlife where it's entirely possible that victims can be held in hell and victimizers get to go to heaven.

When he gets a choice between conforming by dropping his opinions and submitting to god in exchange for being let into heaven or going back to hell he promptly says "nah, i'ma choose hell" out of horror and disgust at what Heaven is even though it's heavily implied that god is going to murder and/or brutally torture everyone in hell (But of course it's their fault because they chose this, in a false dichotomy that ignores the choice of action on the one with actual power over these people.) at some point in the future.

Condemning this guy to hell is treated as a moral and just thing because this guy couldn't comprehend god's forgiveness. In fact, he chooses it for himself and that's the moral of the story of why he's wrong. By choosing not to enter into a relationship with god he is being wrong because he...uh, has moral standards that exceed what heaven has? Which coincidentally forgets the victim (Incidentally, CS Lewis handwaves this massive boondoggle of an issue that blows his entire argument apart by saying that the murderer and their victim are friends now in the afterlife and they're over it which is just :stonk: given how abuse works.) in favor of an authoritarian power play than actual moral decency and empathy for fellow human beings who deserved to have a better life.

Oh and anyone who has moral objections to this and doesn't want to go to a place like this gets to suffer unimaginable pain for eternity when god decides to let the sun rise in Hell or something like that. Which is just some cosmic horror story as 1984-esque authoritarian horror story stuff.

Another guy also bizarrely gets excoriated for the wealth and material advantages that atheism brought him by one of god's converts/angels/whatever which is just ??? to me since I don't recall anyone ever getting a check for that? Which means it ultimately just comes off as some devotee of god who is a cultist making poo poo up about the people they're repeatedly victimizing to justify what they're going through in some sort of authoritarian horror show.

The Great Divorce is a profoundly hosed up book when you start examining the implications behind it.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Nov 22, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->
How can we expect the angels to meet us face to face - til we have faces?

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Probably not, neither are daemons though. Idk, it would be interesting if they were real and maybe they are but probably not.

many people don't know this but daemon is pronounced dee·muhn just like the word demon.

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

Epic High Five posted:

OP there is almost certainly no shortage of spiritually active people in D&D who would be happy to contribute to a discussion here but you're going to need to give a little more for them to work off of, such as what brought you to ask or your relevant background/experiences. It's a huge, huge topic. On the subject of guardian angels I recommend Revolt of the Angels by Anatole France, or if you just need a quick summary it is that they are deeply heretical and probably not the sort of thing anything gains by by having around in their life.

Guardian angels are not heretical though, at least in the Catholic Church. Thomas Aquinas believed in them and multiple popes have made reference to them.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Koos Group posted:

Guardian angels are not heretical though, at least in the Catholic Church. Thomas Aquinas believed in them and multiple popes have made reference to them.

They are not heretical in concept, they are heretical in their behavior. Angels participating or leading in heretical deeds is the basis of much of the faith as practiced in its modern form, and we've even had heretic popes.

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

Epic High Five posted:

They are not heretical in concept, they are heretical in their behavior. Angels participating or leading in heretical deeds is the basis of much of the faith as practiced in its modern form, and we've even had heretic popes.

Do you have examples of heretical angels?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Koos Group posted:

Do you have examples of heretical angels?

I'm given to believe from the religious figures of my upbringing that Lucifer would qualify under the normal definition

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

Epic High Five posted:

I'm given to believe from the religious figures of my upbringing that Lucifer would qualify under the normal definition

Well, obviously, but you characterized either guardian angels in general or angels in general as deeply heretical so I'd like to see more of your reasoning for it.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Koos Group posted:

Well, obviously, but you characterized either guardian angels in general or angels in general as deeply heretical so I'd like to see more of your reasoning for it.

Check out the entry on The Bulgarian Heresy

https://webspace.ship.edu/cgboer/heresies.html

e: This write-up on Milton's Paradise Lost is also on point

https://www.jstor.org/stable/2707498

Bel Shazar fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Nov 22, 2022

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Koos Group posted:

Well the source I cited, Revolt of the Angels by Anatole France, is a tale of how a guardian angel not only puts his charge in terrible peril, but then goes on to lead a revolt against heaven using the superior killing potential of the weapons of World War 1. Seems pretty much an open and shut case of heresy against God. In fact it was the angel's status as guardian that gave it access to the materials needed to sow doubt in his mind.

In a more abstract sense, angels are messengers of God and the domain of personal relationships with man is reserved to God who is three parts. An angel in such a role can either be heretical (encroaching upon the domain of God, likely driven by hubris) or little more than a messenger. One may as well have a guardian postal worker.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Epic High Five posted:

One may as well have a guardian postal worker.

I think you'll find that it's better to have a guardian postal worker...

https://www.nalc.org/community-service/carrier-heroes

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

Epic High Five posted:

Well the source I cited, Revolt of the Angels by Anatole France, is a tale of how a guardian angel not only puts his charge in terrible peril, but then goes on to lead a revolt against heaven using the superior killing potential of the weapons of World War 1. Seems pretty much an open and shut case of heresy against God. In fact it was the angel's status as guardian that gave it access to the materials needed to sow doubt in his mind.

In a more abstract sense, angels are messengers of God and the domain of personal relationships with man is reserved to God who is three parts. An angel in such a role can either be heretical (encroaching upon the domain of God, likely driven by hubris) or little more than a messenger. One may as well have a guardian postal worker.

Ah, I misunderstood that you were only summarizing the book.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Epic High Five posted:

I don't get this part. Surely people can have personal relationships with each other, right? So why can't angels, I don't know why that would be heretical. People can help each other, God can help people, but angels can't?

Koos Group posted:

If you have any sources I could read, throw them in the thread please! It looks like Aquinas said "On this road man is threatened by many dangers both from within and without, and therefore as guardians are appointed for men who have to pass by an unsafe road, so an angel is assigned to each man as long as he is a wayfarer." which sounds like a guardian angel and not heresy so that's neat.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Not everybody's Christian, FYI. For the people talking about "heretical" this and "heretical" that.

My position is that the best angels are in the Torah because they're just messengers of God, they're just these dudes who can wrestle you half to death and that you won't know are out of the ordinary unless you either cross them or treat them really well - in the former case you might find yourself fire and brimstoned, in the latter God will spread your seed around (which maybe is too big of a deal - the patriarchs are depicted as figuratively wrestling with all this a lot). There's something very subtly sinister about that that later depictions like the weird stuff Ezekiel is smoking about just can't carry.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Not everybody's Christian, FYI. For the people talking about "heretical" this and "heretical" that.

My position is that the best angels are in the Torah because they're just messengers of God, they're just these dudes who can wrestle you half to death and that you won't know are out of the ordinary unless you either cross them or treat them really well - in the former case you might find yourself fire and brimstoned, in the latter God will spread your seed around (which maybe is too big of a deal - the patriarchs are depicted as figuratively wrestling with all this a lot). There's something very subtly sinister about that that later depictions like the weird stuff Ezekiel is smoking about just can't carry.

yeah this. i also always liked the muslim idea of the devil where he doesn't like god but has a bunch of rules that he has to follow and is basicaly just an extreamly hosed up prosecutor who will try to entrap you into doing bad poo poo but not directly tell you to do the actions. its more interesting then the evangelical literalism horse poo poo where satan is some magic anti god.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Oh, so Satan is a mod? I knew it! But are angels permabanned superstar posters then?

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

eXXon posted:

Oh, so Satan is a mod? I knew it! But are angels permabanned superstar posters then?

That would give credence to the Miltonian idea that it's better to reign in hell than to serve in heaven.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

eXXon posted:

Now fit in demons and saints.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

eXXon posted:

i think its more satan is an idiot king and angels are mods.

pesty13480
Nov 13, 2002

Ask me about peasant etymology!

Captain_Maclaine posted:

That would give credence to the Miltonian idea that it's better to reign in hell than to serve in heaven.

The bit about reigning being worth the ambition is a much better line.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah this. i also always liked the muslim idea of the devil where he doesn't like god but has a bunch of rules that he has to follow and is basicaly just an extreamly hosed up prosecutor who will try to entrap you into doing bad poo poo but not directly tell you to do the actions. its more interesting then the evangelical literalism horse poo poo where satan is some magic anti god.

Muslim devil likes God, he's just a particularly neat take on the sin of pride.

After getting humanity all set up, God ordered the angels to bow before Man and serve their interests as they serve His. Iblis got real fuckin miffed about this, because he thought the prehuman days were really pretty good, and also divine angelic beings are way better than upjumped monkeys. After a couple circuits round the carousel where he flat refused to know his place and follow orders, God went "well okay then, I'm passing judgement, enjoy being severed from the light of my divine grace".

Iblis responds "hold the gently caress on, you specifically promised humanity that none of them would suffer that hell-adjacent fate until the actual Day of Judgement. Surely it's unfair to not give me the same consideration?"

God: "Eh, fair enough. Sentence postponed, we'll see how things are going in a couple eons when it's time for the Kingdom of Heaven."

and so Iblis, rather than getting a clue in the intervening thousands / millions of years and apologizing and getting out of this jam, decided that he would devote himself to showing God that actually Iblis was right, God was wrong, and humans are just dumb primate vermin, by tempting them and messing with them and keeping a lovingly curated scrapbook of every time a human transgressed the divine will

because if only he can show God Himself that He was wrong, Iblis will be back to being the favored creation and won't be cast out

He doesn't want to overthrow God, he just wants to be right on the internet.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I guess if you want to stretch it a bit, the various minor gods in various flavors of Hinduism are basically angels - subordinate to the Big [mumbles a Number] and also components of the Big One, limited portfolio, mostly more involved in mortal lives within that portfolio

normal brain: Michael is an angel
big brain: ganesh is an angel
E: galaxy brain: Yahweh is an angel

ASIC v Danny Bro
May 1, 2012

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
CAPTAIN KILL

Just HEAPS of dead Palestinnos for brekkie, mate!
The only Angle I'll ever believe in.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010
Just more chaff to cut through when I finally Attack Heaven and Dethrone God.

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!
Ball lighting would be a more interesting discussion given that there are actual scientific arguments on both sides of whether it exists or not, along with split evidence. Angels are just made up.

Unless ball lighting is angels.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

BougieBitch
Oct 2, 2013

Basic as hell

Rad Russian posted:

Clearly not, one is a red 6/1 with haste, trample, and sacrifice at end of turn, the other is a white 4/4 with flying and vigilance

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Rad Russian posted:

Ball lighting would be a more interesting discussion given that there are actual scientific arguments on both sides of whether it exists or not, along with split evidence. Angels are just made up.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Unbelievably lame probe that's transparently just for insufficient deference to Christianity. Nowhere else would the person disputing an existential proclamation (angels exist) bear the burden of proof.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

How exactly does one support the argument that angels don't exist?

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

OwlFancier posted:

How exactly does one support the argument that angels don't exist?

I know this is a joke thread and all but if it wasn't the burden of proof tends to be on the person making the positive claim, not on those questioning that claim, particularly in the absence of any real reason to believe it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

No I'm asking sincerely, if asserting that they aren't real is an unsupported argument then I would like to know how the moderation thinks it should be supported? I would concur that I do not think it needs to be in much the same way that I do not think the position that unicorns aren't real needs to be supported.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

OwlFancier posted:

No I'm asking sincerely, if asserting that they aren't real is an unsupported argument then I would like to know how the moderation thinks it should be supported? I would concur that I do not think it needs to be in much the same way that I do not think the position that unicorns aren't real needs to be supported.

Ah, gotcha. In that case I wholeheartedly agree, it is odd that one would need to provide a supported argument on such a subject or many others like it.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Captain_Maclaine posted:

I know this is a joke thread and all but if it wasn't the burden of proof tends to be on the person making the positive claim, not on those questioning that claim, particularly in the absence of any real reason to believe it.

its a joke thread but i love weird stupid angel and daemon bullshit. i love how tons of weird goons of the early enlightenment wrote giant tomes with summoning patterns and poo poo for daemons that would like be bound to them and poo poo also what the would do and stuff. if i remember correctly, alot of it was sorta based on very very old jewish mystisim and such but then got sorta Christianized.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_demons_in_the_Ars_Goetia

baal is just king charles.

stolas is just an owl with long legs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lesser_Key_of_Solomon#Ars_Goetia

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Dec 4, 2022

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Dapper_Swindler posted:

its a joke thread but i love weird stupid angel and daemon bullshit. i love how tons of weird goons of the early enlightenment wrote giant tomes with summoning patterns and poo poo for daemons that would like be bound to them and poo poo also what the would do and stuff. if i remember correctly, alot of it was sorta based on very very old jewish mystisim and such but then got sorta Christianized.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_demons_in_the_Ars_Goetia

baal is just king charles.

stolas is just an owl with long legs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lesser_Key_of_Solomon#Ars_Goetia

Marchosias appears as a winged, fire-breathing she-wolf, but will take a "more agreeable form" if asked. This more agreeable form is just a dude. I've seen no explanation for the gender change.

I keep hoping Helluva Boss includes Buer

I'd love to see how they animate him.

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Dec 4, 2022

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Marchosias appears as a winged, fire-breathing she-wolf, but will take a "more agreeable form" if asked. This more agreeable form is just a dude. I've seen no explanation for the gender change.

i mean i always take on the belief of high order/hapsburg/royal daemons kinda have various forms they like and will take them depending on situation or whatever. also do daemons even have physical sex, maybe they are like ALL gender. also yeah its all bullshit but its fun.

yeah, i too like Vivian's interpretation, hence the avatar. i will say her idea of hell is alot like how i viewed it. just kinda of a shittier earth where everyone is an rear end in a top hat and various other creatures live there and its kinda just sucky and violent/exploitive. also i feel like if humanity has any agency there, we have probably already conquered parts of it.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Dec 4, 2022

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i will say her idea of hell is alot like how i viewed it. just kinda of a shittier earth where everyone is an rear end in a top hat and various other creatures live there and its kinda just sucky and violent/exploitive. also i feel like if humanity has any agency there, we have probably already conquered parts of it.

Her version sounds like Earth

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Bel Shazar posted:

Her version sounds like Earth

Yeah well, I mean it makes sense, also pretty sure Clive barkers hell is similar.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Dec 4, 2022

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Angels in Old Testament: Literally all we do is either gently caress poo poo up or warn you that we're about to gently caress poo poo up if you don't shape up motherfucker

Angels in New Testament: We're nice now, be not afraid, we sing and like Jesus and all

Angels in Revelations: PSYCH BITCH

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

DarkCrawler posted:

Angels in Old Testament: Literally all we do is either gently caress poo poo up or warn you that we're about to gently caress poo poo up if you don't shape up motherfucker

Angels in New Testament: We're nice now, be not afraid, we sing and like Jesus and all

Angels in Revelations: PSYCH BITCH

revelations is fun because its basically the mushroom visions of some exiled dude or one of his disciples that mostly about how much poo poo Diocletian or Nero sucks and how jesus will kick the poo poo out of them.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Check out https://www.unsongbook.com OP. Great fiction story that pulls heavily from the mythology of the Torah/Bible and features angels based on the same.

Random excerpt:

quote:

“HELLO,” said the archangel.

“Oh god I’m so sorry I’m so sorry I didn’t mean to do that I couldn’t steer,” she said. She was young, even for a human, maybe only seven or eight years old. She had light brown skin, dark brown eyes, braided black hair. She was wearing a life jacket. She was obviously terrified. Finally she managed to pull herself together, and said:

“My name is Sohu. My father said I should ask you to teach me the kabbalah.”

“UM. THAT IS NOT REALLY THE KIND OF THING THAT I DO. THERE ARE HUMANS WHO DO THAT, I THINK.”

“Father said it had to be you.”

“I AM BUSY,” said Uriel.

They stared at each other for a moment. The girl, sopping wet, still shaking, still holding the paddle. The archangel, taller than the hills, dressed in luminous white, with great golden wings protruding from his back, and eyes that glowed gold like the sun.

“Please?” asked the girl.

“I AM BUSY. I AM TRYING TO FIX CONTINENTAL DRIFT.”

“I…didn’t know it was broken.”

Uriel’s face became more animated, his speech faster.

“IT HAS BEEN BROKEN FOR FIVE WEEKS AND FIVE DAYS. I THINK IT BROKE WHEN I RELOADED NEW ZEALAND FROM A BACKUP COPY, BUT I DO NOT KNOW WHY. MY SYNCHRONIZATION WAS IMPECCABLE AND THE CHANGE PROPAGATED SIMULTANEOUSLY ACROSS ALL SEPHIROT. I THINK SOMEBODY BOILED A GOAT IN ITS MOTHER’S MILK. IT IS ALWAYS THAT. I KEEP TELLING PEOPLE NOT TO DO IT, BUT NOBODY LISTENS.”

Sohu looked at him dubiously, then gently laid her paddle down across her lap. “If you teach me the kabbalah, I could try to help you fix continental drift.”

“NO,” said Uriel. “I WORK CELESTIAL KABBALAH. IT IS BEYOND THE REACH OF HUMANS. IF YOU TRIED TO TOUCH THE EMANATIONS OF THE HIGHER WORLDS, THEY WOULD PASS THROUGH YOUR HANDS LIKE SHADOWS.”

Sohu reached up and plucked one of the letters from the cloud whirling around them. She pulled on it like a thread, and a string of other letters followed after her, bunching up into her hand. The glyphs turned first blue, then purple, then one of the three nameless colors you only see in dreams. Then they all started changing into other glyphs more quickly than the eye could follow.

Uriel let out a loud shriek. Suddenly he was all action. Dropping girl and kayak, he snatched at the glowing letters, sewing them into a new pattern with superhuman speed, working so quickly it seemed he had dozens of hands acting at once. Waves of color flowed through the vast design. Just before Sohu crashed against the ocean below, the archangel reached down and caught kayak and girl, lifting them back level with his face.

“Sorry sorry sorry what did I do what did I do?” asked Sohu, who was back to being terrified again.

“YOU MIGHT HAVE SORT OF MADE ALL OF THE RIVERS IN THE WORLD RUN IN REVERSE.”

“I’m so sorry really I didn’t mean to.”

“IT IS OKAY. I FIXED THEM.” Then: “WAIT, HOW DID YOU DO THAT?”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Dapper_Swindler posted:

revelations is fun because its basically the mushroom visions of some exiled dude or one of his disciples that mostly about how much poo poo Diocletian or Nero sucks and how jesus will kick the poo poo out of them.

God wrote an really bloody, grim dark and exciting magnum opus that became a real cult classic, then his hippie son and his weird friend Paul did a radically different sequel that didn't really hit off with the old fans but got way bigger new audiences. Though Jesus probably shouldn't have let even his weirder boyfriend write the last chapter, he was clearly on hardcore narcotics.

(Also it was Domitian who did suck poo poo if you were a Roman Senator or someone else who didn't think Domitian was literally God, otherwise actually kinda awesome)

D-Pad posted:

Check out https://www.unsongbook.com OP. Great fiction story that pulls heavily from the mythology of the Torah/Bible and features angels based on the same.

Random excerpt:

It also highlights how God is kinda the biggest antisemite around by the really weird mind games he has with the Jewish people and their rabbis according to their own traditions

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Dec 5, 2022