Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

DarkCrawler posted:

then his hippie son and his weird friend Paul

Paul didn't know Jesus... he just wrote a metric ton of fanfic about him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Based on the evidence I have decided YES angels are real:

Evidence:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Sharkie posted:

Evidence:

Can't argue with that!

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Shall we be trotting home again?
nah, but I measure em with a protractor anyway

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

THey're aliens OP

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Hell Is the Absence of God by Ted Chiang is a real good story about angels

Basically they kinda show up randomly and cure a few ppl from blindness or leprosy or whatever while also causing massive natural disasters, ploughing through buildings etc etc

It's very good and all the rest of the short stories in that book are great too

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Bel Shazar posted:

Well, they met and became friends

According to Paul

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Google Jeb Bush posted:

Muslim devil likes God, he's just a particularly neat take on the sin of pride.

After getting humanity all set up, God ordered the angels to bow before Man and serve their interests as they serve His. Iblis got real fuckin miffed about this, because he thought the prehuman days were really pretty good, and also divine angelic beings are way better than upjumped monkeys. After a couple circuits round the carousel where he flat refused to know his place and follow orders, God went "well okay then, I'm passing judgement, enjoy being severed from the light of my divine grace".

Iblis responds "hold the gently caress on, you specifically promised humanity that none of them would suffer that hell-adjacent fate until the actual Day of Judgement. Surely it's unfair to not give me the same consideration?"

God: "Eh, fair enough. Sentence postponed, we'll see how things are going in a couple eons when it's time for the Kingdom of Heaven."

and so Iblis, rather than getting a clue in the intervening thousands / millions of years and apologizing and getting out of this jam, decided that he would devote himself to showing God that actually Iblis was right, God was wrong, and humans are just dumb primate vermin, by tempting them and messing with them and keeping a lovingly curated scrapbook of every time a human transgressed the divine will

because if only he can show God Himself that He was wrong, Iblis will be back to being the favored creation and won't be cast out

He doesn't want to overthrow God, he just wants to be right on the internet.

The buddhist devil is cool because he's actually a god who lives in the highest level of heaven rather than the underworld and he tries to trick people into sin and fear because he's terrified of losing subjects and the pleasures of godhood if people become enlightened and stop fearing or desiring things. Which of course also consumes him in suffering because he's wrapped up in fear and desire too. The devil as capitalist businessman trying to maximize profit with torture and suffering as an unfortunate byproduct is a much more interesting motivation and realistic than I LOVE HURTING PEOPLE!

Also the angels in buddhism are a lot of times just demons that reformed themselves voluntarily after learning about Buddhism or involuntarily after a Buddhist monk kicked the poo poo out of them until they agreed to protect temples and stop cursing people and whatnot to get him to stop (this mainly happens in tibetan buddhism)

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Bel Shazar posted:

Having read a metric ton about Paul recently, it appears to me that he didn’t even write that much about Jesus himself. Paul is the earliest Christian writing we have, but the amount of details about Jesus that he explicitly shares can be summed up with:

1: he got betrayed and
2: he died (and, allegedly, was resurrected).

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Bel Shazar posted:

This is why I hope Villeneuve does Dune Messiah too.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

BigglesSWE posted:

Having read a metric ton about Paul recently, it appears to me that he didn’t even write that much about Jesus himself. Paul is the earliest Christian writing we have, but the amount of details about Jesus that he explicitly shares can be summed up with:

1: he got betrayed and
2: he died (and, allegedly, was resurrected).

yeah, Paul was weird loving dude. He comes off as a dude who when he gets into something, he over does it, also a loving ton of hang ups. apperently he got into tons of fights with peter and other followers who actually knew jesus and he was the one that spun it into the whole "actually he is God" stuff.

honestly i find historical jesus interesting because he was some poor dirt worker who becomes a preacher and then fucks around for a couple years and then fucks up the money changers because they are polluting the temple and he is a proto zealot, he gets brutally killed in one of the worst ways possible and dies and ignoable and foregettable death. but his followers said he lived and hosed off to hevean or some poo poo. then that takes off when some dude named paul crack pings and thinks jesus is his best friend for real and is actually God. and the rest is history but with way more details.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Dec 27, 2022

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

There's some weirdness with the cleansing of the Temple though.

For one thing: it's impossible for it to be exactly as described, i.e. that Jesus chases off the money lenders on the Temple Square because it's loving *huge*. At best he'd cause some ruckus on one end or the other before the Temple guards seizes him.

There's also the question of how this event would justify a Roman execution. It's easy to handwave it away as "ancient times brutal times amirite?" but there are other religious troublemakers in that era that got slapped around a bit and then let go. If we assume his death was not heavenly ordained (I don't think so, I'm not religious), then it's really hard to see why Jesus got killed by the Romans.

Another aspect of it that's odd is the whole affair around his death, more precisely: why was, by all accounts, *only* Jesus targeted by the Roman authorities? By all accounts, the followers of Jesus could live on and preach in Jerusalem in the years following the crucifixion, apparently without the Romans (or the Temple authorities for that matter) caring overly much about it. For some reason, it appears the Romans thought it was enough to give the leader (Jesus) a death reserved for troublemakers, but not his crew.

Then there's the fact that the last Gospel (John) puts the cleansing of the Temple at the very beginning of Jesus' ministry, as opposed to the Synoptic Gospels that put it towards the end and tie it directly to his death. That being said, John is overall extremely unlikely to contain genuine historical facts about Jesus (being the last gospel to be written and containing a lot of fairly complex theology) so who knows what this odd placement of the cleansing entails.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

BigglesSWE posted:

There's some weirdness with the cleansing of the Temple though.

For one thing: it's impossible for it to be exactly as described, i.e. that Jesus chases off the money lenders on the Temple Square because it's loving *huge*. At best he'd cause some ruckus on one end or the other before the Temple guards seizes him.

There's also the question of how this event would justify a Roman execution. It's easy to handwave it away as "ancient times brutal times amirite?" but there are other religious troublemakers in that era that got slapped around a bit and then let go. If we assume his death was not heavenly ordained (I don't think so, I'm not religious), then it's really hard to see why Jesus got killed by the Romans.

Another aspect of it that's odd is the whole affair around his death, more precisely: why was, by all accounts, *only* Jesus targeted by the Roman authorities? By all accounts, the followers of Jesus could live on and preach in Jerusalem in the years following the crucifixion, apparently without the Romans (or the Temple authorities for that matter) caring overly much about it. For some reason, it appears the Romans thought it was enough to give the leader (Jesus) a death reserved for troublemakers, but not his crew.

Then there's the fact that the last Gospel (John) puts the cleansing of the Temple at the very beginning of Jesus' ministry, as opposed to the Synoptic Gospels that put it towards the end and tie it directly to his death. That being said, John is overall extremely unlikely to contain genuine historical facts about Jesus (being the last gospel to be written and containing a lot of fairly complex theology) so who knows what this odd placement of the cleansing entails.

i believe its supposed to be the outer outer court where you could by your sacrifices and poo poo. Jesus hated the whole complexity and purity stuff of the temple and all that poo poo and wanted more streamlined and focused on getting romans out and purifying the faith and such.

John is also all about making jesus the magic godhead and i believe is the latest of the canonicals(so like 200 years after) and alot of it is meant to distance jesus from being a jewish peasent rebel/preacher and more softened for gentile/roman audiences.

also the romans hated him loving poo poo up because that = rebelion against rome.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

It depends on what means by Angelic. If one means Angels that are a being(s). Probably not. If one instead means Angels in the Neoplatonist sense, similar to a Neoplatonist understanding of pagan gods and/or daemons … so here they are like Wisdom, Liberty, etc. maybe depending on one’s ontology.

If one means the most literal meaning of the word Angel, as “messengers of the Logos”, that depends on if Truth or Reason are real, and that would be a yes if one thinks there is a Truth. But that’s a very broad use of Angel, that would/could in include other people.

So it depends on one’s ontology and which thing the symbol is being used to point to.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Sharkie posted:

Evidence:

Unironically, yes. Im comfortable calling Dolly Pardon a messenger of the Truth.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

She’d slap God seven ways to hell for even suggesting going down and torching the cities of the plains. She’s be right for doing it too.

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT
I have had the fortune of meeting a few people over the course of my working career. Whom have established the example of... how good of a person they can be and how profound of an impact a kind heart can have.

I am by no means particularly superstisous person.
However, I consider these individuals the... exemplars to whom individuals should inspire to be.

Like.... I asked for their help, and they delivered.
I have always tried to remain humble as aresult.

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Jan 1, 2023

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
Bit of a derail, but I really like this painting they put up at the Catholic University of America a few years ago depicting George Floyd as Jesus Christ:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

I don't know if angels exist, but mystery exists so that's good enough for me. This thread might be interested in Passport to Magonia by Jacques Vallee. Its back half is a compilation of UFO reports. In the front half Vallee compares folklore traditions around the world and compares them to modern (book was first published in 1969) UFO sightings

Vallee writes in the preface

Jacques Vallee posted:

If we take a wide sample of this historical material, we find that it is organized around one central theme: visitation by an aerial people from one or more remote, legendary countries. The names and attributes vary, but the main idea clearly does not. Magonia, heaven, hell, Elfland---all such places have in common once characteristic: we are unable to reach them alive, except---as we shall see---on very special occasions. Emissaries from these supernatural abodes come to earth, sometimes under human form and sometimes as monsters. They perform wonders. They serve man or fight him. They influence civilizations through mystical revelation. They seduce earth women, and the few heroes who dare seek their friendship find the girls from Elfland endowed with desires that betray a carnal, rather than purely aerial, nature.

Maybe UFO descriptions are just a modern cultural description of the phenomenon of angels that have appeared in cultures throughout the world. There is no longer a mysterious world between the clouds and the stars because we have been able to observe it more clearly because of advances in science and technology. The "angels" move to outer space and become "aliens" that have effectively the same supernatural qualites, just with a different description.