Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
yeah well you generally shouldn't listen to alchemists, the ones who are wrong about things are basically scammers who buy into their own bit and the ones who are right about things frequently explode

because the latter are early modern chemists

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Thynges I Wonnet Worke Withe

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah this. i also always liked the muslim idea of the devil where he doesn't like god but has a bunch of rules that he has to follow and is basicaly just an extreamly hosed up prosecutor who will try to entrap you into doing bad poo poo but not directly tell you to do the actions. its more interesting then the evangelical literalism horse poo poo where satan is some magic anti god.

Muslim devil likes God, he's just a particularly neat take on the sin of pride.

After getting humanity all set up, God ordered the angels to bow before Man and serve their interests as they serve His. Iblis got real fuckin miffed about this, because he thought the prehuman days were really pretty good, and also divine angelic beings are way better than upjumped monkeys. After a couple circuits round the carousel where he flat refused to know his place and follow orders, God went "well okay then, I'm passing judgement, enjoy being severed from the light of my divine grace".

Iblis responds "hold the gently caress on, you specifically promised humanity that none of them would suffer that hell-adjacent fate until the actual Day of Judgement. Surely it's unfair to not give me the same consideration?"

God: "Eh, fair enough. Sentence postponed, we'll see how things are going in a couple eons when it's time for the Kingdom of Heaven."

and so Iblis, rather than getting a clue in the intervening thousands / millions of years and apologizing and getting out of this jam, decided that he would devote himself to showing God that actually Iblis was right, God was wrong, and humans are just dumb primate vermin, by tempting them and messing with them and keeping a lovingly curated scrapbook of every time a human transgressed the divine will

because if only he can show God Himself that He was wrong, Iblis will be back to being the favored creation and won't be cast out

He doesn't want to overthrow God, he just wants to be right on the internet.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Not everybody's Christian, FYI. For the people talking about "heretical" this and "heretical" that.

My position is that the best angels are in the Torah because they're just messengers of God, they're just these dudes who can wrestle you half to death and that you won't know are out of the ordinary unless you either cross them or treat them really well - in the former case you might find yourself fire and brimstoned, in the latter God will spread your seed around (which maybe is too big of a deal - the patriarchs are depicted as figuratively wrestling with all this a lot). There's something very subtly sinister about that that later depictions like the weird stuff Ezekiel is smoking about just can't carry.

I guess if you want to stretch it a bit, the various minor gods in various flavors of Hinduism are basically angels - subordinate to the Big [mumbles a Number] and also components of the Big One, limited portfolio, mostly more involved in mortal lives within that portfolio

normal brain: Michael is an angel
big brain: ganesh is an angel
E: galaxy brain: Yahweh is an angel