Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Yes, they're investors now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

OP there is almost certainly no shortage of spiritually active people in D&D who would be happy to contribute to a discussion here but you're going to need to give a little more for them to work off of, such as what brought you to ask or your relevant background/experiences. It's a huge, huge topic. On the subject of guardian angels I recommend Revolt of the Angels by Anatole France, or if you just need a quick summary it is that they are deeply heretical and probably not the sort of thing anything gains by by having around in their life.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Koos Group posted:

Guardian angels are not heretical though, at least in the Catholic Church. Thomas Aquinas believed in them and multiple popes have made reference to them.

They are not heretical in concept, they are heretical in their behavior. Angels participating or leading in heretical deeds is the basis of much of the faith as practiced in its modern form, and we've even had heretic popes.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Koos Group posted:

Do you have examples of heretical angels?

I'm given to believe from the religious figures of my upbringing that Lucifer would qualify under the normal definition

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Koos Group posted:

Well, obviously, but you characterized either guardian angels in general or angels in general as deeply heretical so I'd like to see more of your reasoning for it.

Well the source I cited, Revolt of the Angels by Anatole France, is a tale of how a guardian angel not only puts his charge in terrible peril, but then goes on to lead a revolt against heaven using the superior killing potential of the weapons of World War 1. Seems pretty much an open and shut case of heresy against God. In fact it was the angel's status as guardian that gave it access to the materials needed to sow doubt in his mind.

In a more abstract sense, angels are messengers of God and the domain of personal relationships with man is reserved to God who is three parts. An angel in such a role can either be heretical (encroaching upon the domain of God, likely driven by hubris) or little more than a messenger. One may as well have a guardian postal worker.