Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

OP, I personally do not think angels exist, guardians or no, but they're a funny cultural icon. Lovecraft had nothing on YHWH when He was making those monstrosities, all eyes and dangly bits where bits shouldn't dangle, ugh.

I think that the background is our inability to deal with the fact that the universe, by and large, does not give a single poo poo about whether we feel good or don't, so guardian angels are a lovely idea. If only there were someone out there whose job was to ensure my well-being, personally! But at the same time, it seems like this diminishes the good and evil we can do to one another. The idea of demons makes a mockery out of the very real, existing people who did and do horrible things. Does the idea of angels do the same for goodness and kindness?

Of course we can also argue the converse, that the idea of perfect beings who are literally "goodness" made manifest, gives us something to aspire towards.

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

why aren't we cutting to the heart of the matter and finally figuring out how many can dance on the head of a pin?

This is a Babylon 5 joke, isn't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU