Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WindwardAway
Aug 22, 2022

Set your life on fire. Seek those who fan your flames.
To Cass:

https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/1044632659936169995/1045683527229919352/PXL_20221125_125201827.mp4
Soft fail.

"Ah," Gertrud exclaims finally, looking up at you with a downturned mouth. "You were the one who called today and asked for the big room, yes? I'm afraid that all we have left is an adjoining room. It's a bit small, and to get there you have to walk through a bigger room. Someone will be staying there, but usually people don't mind too much. Is that okay?"

She smiles, clearly trying her best to accommodate you, and then spots the other visitors filing in. "Oh, there you are! More guests!"

And then her gaze falls on Samuel. "You look like a mess," she tuts disapprovingly. "Comb your hair!"

WindwardAway fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Nov 25, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Chloe
"Hello! Chloe Martins, I have a reservation." Making a mental note to thank Melanie for having organized things, she hands over her paper.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

WindwardAway posted:

To Cass:
Soft fail.

"Ah," Gertrud exclaims finally, looking up at you with a downturned mouth. "You were the one who called today and asked for the big room, yes? I'm afraid that all we have left is an adjoining room. It's a bit small, and to get there you have to walk through a bigger room. Someone will be staying there, but usually people don't mind too much. Is that okay?"

She smiles, clearly trying her best to accommodate you, and then spots the other visitors filing in. "Oh, there you are! More guests!"

And then her gaze falls on Samuel. "You look like a mess," she tuts disapprovingly. "Comb your hair!"

Cass

Cass purses her lips when she hears that she didn't get the big room, and on top of that it's adjoining. But, silver lining, if she had the big room, someone would have had to walk through it to get to their room, and that is a no go for her. Perhaps this is a blessing in disguise.

Oh, I see. That would have been nice to know when we talked on the phone earlier. I'm sure you will be charging me for the smaller room size instead of what was booked? Who has the room I have to traipse through to get to my own? I will need to make sure to lay down some ground rules for our double occupancy.

Cass knows this is the only game in town, so complaining won't get her much outside of ire. Maybe she can convince Kayla to stay with Samuel. He's her friend afterall, then she can get both rooms... now, how to sell it as her idea?

WindwardAway
Aug 22, 2022

To Cass and Chloe:

"Of course, dear, you'll only pay for the smaller room," Gertrud clarifies as she scribbles some notes into the binder.

Just as Chloe steps forward and flashes the reservation printout, Gertrud exclaims, "Oh yes, Miss Martins! You're the one with the big room!"

She grins heartily at the two of you. "You'll be sharing the adjoining rooms, isn't that nice?"

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Chloe
It is not.

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි
Samuel

Samuel pats his head, partly to acknowledge Gertrud's request and partly to reassure himself.

"Gertrud, you KNEW! What are you DOING!? Why!?"

Samuel scans the room and his eyes rest on a bag with an embroidered patch. A sinking feeling. "...Kayla?"

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"
Gab

Seeing the drame start to unfold, he steps up to the counter.

"Gabriel Theodore Sobol. I should have a room booked, too, there is the receipt... also, may there be a shower room or something in here, please?"

Hearing Sam's intervention, he pauses. Then he blurts without thinking "... knew what?"

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Chloe
"Suuuurre..." With a wide grin back, Chloe grabs Cass' arm. "Well then, let's get settled in, roomie."

She pulls her over to the corner and hisses "Trade you rooms if you promise not to enter mine."

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

wologar posted:

Samuel scans the room and his eyes rest on a bag with an embroidered patch. A sinking feeling. "...Kayla?"

Kayla

Kayla glances up at all the commotion and takes a moment to put two and two together.

"Oh! Samuel! Yes, I made it... but what's the matter?"

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Cloacamazing! posted:

Chloe
"Suuuurre..." With a wide grin back, Chloe grabs Cass' arm. "Well then, let's get settled in, roomie."

She pulls her over to the corner and hisses "Trade you rooms if you promise not to enter mine."

Cass

Cass takes her arm being grabbed in stride and returns the gesture. Getting ready to butter up Chloe so she will trade rooms with her, trying to remember everything she knows about her so she knows how to sweeten the pot. Then it all comes to a halt. She wants the other room! No wheeling and dealing necessary. Is there something she can get from Chloe for this concession? No it isn't worth pushing her luck. What she wants was dropped into her lap and she isn't going to look the gift horse in the mouth.

Now as an observer, you could have seen this all on her face in the span of about 3 seconds. First a beaming smile, Cass getting ready to lay it on thick, then a moment of surprise, maybe a sprinkling of confusion, before it is quickly masked again with a much less fake smile.

That sounds great Chloe. Just try to be quiet and don't turn on any lights if you have to go to the bathroom after midnight. Wouldn't want to turn into a gremlin. I have a white noise machine, so it shouldn't be a big deal.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Giving a thumbs up, Chloe grabs her bag and heads in the direction the owner pointed out.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Cloacamazing! posted:

Giving a thumbs up, Chloe grabs her bag and heads in the direction the owner pointed out.

Cass

Cass hasn't let go of Chloe's arm and gets dragged off to their room. Leaving her suitcases behind, she goes off to check out her accommodations.

WindwardAway
Aug 22, 2022

To Gab:

Gertrud points behind her, to a wooden staircase in the back. "There's a bathroom upstairs, with a bathtub in it. The shower head was installed yesterday, just in time for your arrival!"

She checks your reservation details in the binder, and hands a set of keys to you, with the room number taped onto one of them. "Towels are on the bed in your room."

To Chloe and Cass:

Likewise, Gertrud pushes your keys forward on the desk. "You girls will have a lovely view of nature outside your windows," she informs you. "Just make sure to keep the windows closed at night — it gets chilly if you leave them open."

To Samuel:

As the guests collect their keys, Gertrud's eyes catch the last visitor. She notices you looking at the girl, too, and motions for you to come closer.

"Unlike you, I have no other way of making business," she hisses. "Don't you dare lecture me on who I can or cannot allow."

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි
Samuel

WindwardAway posted:

To Samuel:

As the guests collect their keys, Gertrud's eyes catch the last visitor. She notices you looking at the girl, too, and motions for you to come closer.

"Unlike you, I have no other way of making business," she hisses. "Don't you dare lecture me on who I can or cannot allow."

"You liar", he mutters with clenched teeth. "I've seen what you do in the forest." Samuel would enjoy a verbal spat with Gertrud to relieve stress (and he knows she probably would, too), but there's someone far more important to address right now.

Bifauxnen posted:

Kayla

Kayla glances up at all the commotion and takes a moment to put two and two together.

"Oh! Samuel! Yes, I made it... but what's the matter?"

Composure, Samuel, compose yourself! There will be time to warn her later. Samuel straightens his back and starts forcing a smile, but it effortlessly turns into a heart-felt one. His face relaxes. "Hi. Nothing's the matter. It's great to see you." I'll make sure, God willing, to keep you safe. "Are these your friends?", Samuel gestures to the noisy lot.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"
Gab

"Thank you!" he answers, and quickly scuttles off upstairs. There is a growing commotion in the hall, but it doesn't seem to involve him.

Gab gets to the room, and opens it with the key. It's small but cozy, and the bed, clad in several blankets, looks strangely inviting. He, however, isn't looking for a nap right now.

He puts his trolley over the bed and opens it, grabbing a clean shirt and a pair of pants. No extra jacket, though - he will have to do with the one he had in. Hopefully he can get some of the mud out somehow.

When he's about to close it again, his eyes lay into a small metal box. He feels his heartbeat racing. Surely not...

a shower is a pretty intimate place, isn't it? And easy to clean, too...

... it's not the time, what if someone finds out...

what are you waiting for?

...if they knew...

why did you come here in the first place?

His heart feels heavy. With a quick gesture, he grabs the box, and conceals it under his clean clothes. Then, he makes sure to get all the towels, and makes his way to the bathroom.

The door locks with a satisfying clicking noise.

see. No one is getting in. Now hurry up, let's get all that dirt cleaned off.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Cass

Once depositing her pack on the bed, and opening the window, to take in the scenery. Cass takes a deep breath of fresh air. The comforter is a bit too flowery for her tastes, but it does look clean. She's had to sleep in her sleeping bag on top of the bed on more than one occasion. She heads back down to the lobby? the foyer? The room by the front door. Where she left the rest of her luggage, after she belatedly realizes that Getrud is unlikely to carry her things up for her. She drags the hard case with the drone and her rolly suitcase up the central stairway and sets it in the corner.

She thinks for a bit, trying to predict how long she will be here, before just giving in and unpacking her suitcase into the chest of drawers. Plugs in her laptop. She then loads up her smaller day pack with some essentials, and heads back down the stairs. There is still a bit of daylight left to burn, and the town is small, getting a lay of the land seems like a good idea. She calls out.

Hey, gonna take a stroll around town, see what's up if anyone wants to tag along.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Chloe
"Give me two minutes!" she yells through the closed door. Okay, does this thing have a lock? Bolt?

WindwardAway
Aug 22, 2022

To Samuel and Kayla:

Gertrud's expression darkens. "Not in front of the visitors," she whispers snappily.

She clears her throat, and resumes her merry composure. "Why, I have no idea what you're referring to," she says innocently, watching as the guests scramble up the stairs to their rooms.

Her eyes are back on the quiet girl who still hasn't approached the desk. "Do you need help checking in? What's your name, love?"

To Gab:

The bathroom is cramped but fairly clean, with an old-looking bathtub and a shining new shower head. There's no window, but there's a rattling ventilation shaft at the top of the wall where the moisture is meant to air out.

The mirror is scratched around the edges where it hangs above the sink, but you can still see your reflection clearly. The occasional drop of water leaks from the tap, and there's a note taped to the mirror that cautions you to turn off the faucet properly.

Along the rim of the tub, there's a half-squeezed shampoo bottle and a bar of soap that you guess may have been left by the previous guest, whenever that was. There is a pump bottle of soap at the sink, however, which is significantly less questionable than the used soap bar.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Gab

(Trigger warning: mention of self-harm)

Gab inspects the bathroom. It's small indeed. By trying the tap sink he confirms that it has comfortably hot water, though - it will do. He passes on the used soap, instead grabbing the soap bottle from the sink. It smells very flowery, he notices, while pointedly avoiding his own reflection in the mirror.

let's be fast. Don't think it twice.

He undresses, putting apart the muddied clothes, and sits in the tub border. He opens the bathroom tap so the running water will drown any noises, and with slighty trembling hands, he opens the small box.

Inside there are seven small stones. Each one of them has a crudely drawn rune - he was never good at arts and crafts, but he made do to scratch those in. Surely, not everyone has a stone sculpting kit at home, do they?

A tiny and very sharp blade, not unlike a surgeon's knife, completes the kit.

Breathing heavily, he grabs the knife. He will need to draw blood, and it can't be obvious, or someone will question how he got cut while in the shower. He has really thought this over, but that doesn't make the moment of truth any less impressive or scary.

don't overthink it.

With a quick movement, he cleanly slides the blade between the middle and left toes and left and pinky toes on his left foot. Two clean cuts. It feels not unlike a very sharp animal bit. Shock makes him gasp softly, almost making him drop the knife, and he instinctively bites his lip to repress it - no screaming now. He feels the warm blood trickle down between his fingers, and quickly puts the metal box under it, runes facing up inside.

Shell's note: I assume this is a pull at the very least - gimme bloodstone, please, it feels appropiate.

Shellception fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Nov 25, 2022

WindwardAway
Aug 22, 2022

To Gab:

https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/1044632659936169995/1045762863924514866/PXL_20221125_1800504872.mp4

Pass.

As the first drop of blood saturates the stones, they seem to emanate a glow — or are you dreaming?

Drip.

Drip.

Drip.

Soon, each of the runes is filled with your blood, and you have the faintest sensation that whoever, or whatever, is out there... you've called its attention, and it's listening. And it is pleased by your offering.

The thrill of performing the ritual — or perhaps the minor blood loss and the sting of the knife — leaves you feeling elated. You look around, trying to catch a glimpse of whatever it is that has decided to accept your blood, but alas, nothing new has materialized.

...or has it?

Your attention is drawn to the stack of clean clothes you've brought, and you could swear there's something in one of the pockets. Reaching your hand in curiously, you pull out a ring. It's tarnished, but you can clearly make out a rune etched into it:

Jera, the rune for success.

Something tells you the ring would require another blood offering to activate, and you decide it's best kept safe for later, perhaps when you need it.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

wologar posted:

Samuel straightens his back and starts forcing a smile, but it effortlessly turns into a heart-felt one. His face relaxes. "Hi. Nothing's the matter. It's great to see you." I'll make sure, God willing, to keep you safe. "Are these your friends?", Samuel gestures to the noisy lot.

Kayla

"Well, I've only known them since the plane or the taxi. But they do seem like nice people to travel with." Kayla safely tucks her phone away.

"Ah, it's great to finally see you too! I can't believe I'm actually here!" in her excitement, she gives Samuel a quick hug, then notices Gertrud is finally done with the others. "I guess I better get checked in first of all. I probably do need some help with it, thanks! My name's Kayla Robinson."

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි
Samuel

She knows them from the plane or taxi?? Reckless girl, no wonder she ignored my letter. She's more aloof than I expected, too. I suppose I have to let her sort things out with Gertrud now. Blast it all!

That girl walking down the stairs seems eager to get away from this place. That's a good sign. "Hey, you", he scowls at Cass.

Easy, Samuel. They are foreigners. He tries to smile again, but his smile stays forced this time. "Welcome to Skogen. What brings you here?"

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

wologar posted:

Samuel

She knows them from the plane or taxi?? Reckless girl, no wonder she ignored my letter. She's more aloof than I expected, too. I suppose I have to let her sort things out with Gertrud now. Blast it all!

That girl walking down the stairs seems eager to get away from this place. That's a good sign. "Hey, you", he scowls at Cass.

Easy, Samuel. They are foreigners. He tries to smile again, but his smile stays forced this time. "Welcome to Skogen. What brings you here?"

Cass

Cass notices the scowl and forced smile and just feels the general vibe Samuel is putting out. And she does not like it one little bit. Who is this disheveled man? Definitely not a Cassette. And from the looks of it, unlikely to be in her demo at all.

Hey yourself. You know this creep Kayla?

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Kayla

"He's a local pen pal of mine," Kayla says, frowning slightly at Cass calling Samuel a creep. No reason to try and force these two to get along though. She stops herself before saying anything further about him.

"I'll just be a minute Samuel," Kayla calls out. She finishes neatly writing her details down for Gertrud. "Which room is mine?"

WindwardAway
Aug 22, 2022

To Kayla:

Gertrud passes you the key, a sparkle in her eye. "Room 4, at the end of the hall upstairs. Enjoy your stay, dear!"

As you take the key, Gertrud pipes up again, "Oh, I almost forgot to tell everyone! Breakfast is at 8 am. I hope you won't be too jetlagged to join, but I'll make sure to save some food for you if you don't wake up in time."

She turns toward Samuel, adding with an oddly satisfied smirk, "Of course you're welcome to join us, too. The more, the merrier!"

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Gab

He's in shock. It worked! Part of his brain refuses to believe it, and another part, the more primal one, is utterly terrified. But right now, he is not listening to any fears. For one of just a handful of times on his life, he feels powerful. Unstoppable.

And also dizzy. It was just a couple small cuts, sure it'll pass soon. He has no bandages, but the cuts seem to have mostly stopped bleeding now.

Gab steps into the bath again, and turns on the shower, washing himself carefully with the flowery soap, cleaning the wound - no good getting an infection now. All traces of blood are washed away, and he's soon done, dressed in clean clothes, and ready to go back to the room.

He returns the box to his handbag - something tells him he should keep it close. The ring is a question; wearing it is not an option, it'll draw way too much attention. He decides to slip it into his gold chain - it is long enough to conceal it under his clothes, so it won't be noticed, and won't get lost either. This done, he grabs a sweater, his jacket and bag and leaves the room, looking to meet the others.

"Who is this creep?" a loud voice asks, some steps down. There seems to still be a bit of a kerfuffle in the hall. Why can't people keep the peace?

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Cass

Cass waits what feels like hours for Chloe, but what has, in actuality, been about 5 minutes, and heads out the front door to talk a walk around the town. Get a lay of the land. Find the pub, the shops, and anything else that looks like it's worth knowing about, with roughly that order of importance. Depending on how long that takes, she'll probably head into the pub for a pint and maybe some dinner. She is looking for anything that would be considered a local delicacy, even better if it's off-putting to tourists. She doesn't usually do gross food challenges, but it looks like her content might be a bit thin for the next week, she'll supplement however she can. The algorithm requires regular updates or it stops promoting her videos, and if Cass is going to cross that follower threshold she's gotta satiate the algorithm. Almost like one of those offerings Gab was talking about on the taxi ride over Cass muses to herself. Which is a silly thought, those things aren't real, or rather, the rituals are real, but they hold no power but what you attribute to them, and anyways, the cold, uncaring machine of internet popularity isn't even a good analog.

Cass snaps out of her stupor, realizing she has been wandering aimlessly for a bit. Back on track she goes back to the task she set out on in the first place
1) Pub
2) Shops
3) Other Interesting Sites
4) Back to the Pub for a pint and some food
5) Content

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Kayla

Kayla tries to be quick about dropping her things off in the right room. Samuel had looked so distressed, even before he'd attempted talking to Cass. She wishes she had a bit more time though, to properly take in the details of her new home away from home.

She heads down the upstairs hall and unlocks the door.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Chloe
After checking the state of her art supplies (carefully packed, so everything's fine), digging out her mobile phone from its safe hiding place in the trunk and sending Cass the money for the taxi, Chloe heads out into Cass' room and finds her gone. Shrugging, she's about to head downstairs when she notices Gabriel leaving the bathroom and decides to take a short bathroom break herself before heading downstairs. Someone's probably still there, Gertrud's voice can still be heard.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Gab

Heading down to the hall, he's greeted by a scene. Standing near the reception desk, the guy from earlier... Samuel, wasn't it? looks offended, while Gertrud has a furtively amused look on her face. He wonders a bit about those two.

Cass is looking... well, like Cass does. Gab is pretty sure it was her voice yelling right now. He doesn't think she has noticed his existance yet, and he sure isn't going to do anything to fix it - lady reminds him of his high-school bullies. A memory he absolutely prefers to keep buried right now, and one that makes him snap into invisible mode by pure survival instinct. That's pathetic. You are what, 29 now? What is she going to do, give you a wedgie?

Kayla mumbles something and goes upstairs with her stuff, crossing by him, seemingly in a bit of a huff. Doesn't look like she's happy right now. Wait, didn't she mention knowing the guy in the hall before? Maybe she didn't appreciate the "creep" comment, whoever it was that was aimed at.

Cass seems to linger in the hall for approximately five seconds before bolting outside. Great. Well, Gab is in no hurry to follow her. Gertrud seems to exchange some short words with the other man, before lowering her head and starting work on her papers.

He approaches the dishevelled looking dude in the hallway. Something in his attire seems... peculiar, but Gab cannot pinpoint it exactly right now.

"Hey, name's Gabriel. Sorry about the rush before, I had a bit of an accident in transit and needed a change of clothes". He holds his neck insecurely, but tongue takes over yet again. "That's some impressive burial mound right near here, isn't it? So well preserved, too. I'm happy the taxi driver let us stop and see them, I had never seen one so close!"

He instinctively balances his weight from his left foot to his right. Cuts in your feet are kind of spicy, who'd have known?

WindwardAway
Aug 22, 2022

To Kayla:

Your room looks cozy. As you flick the light switch on, you notice a comfortable-looking bed near the door, towels folded neatly atop a dreamy bedspread of purple and blue flowers. A tall wooden wardrobe stands next to the bed, with plenty of hanging space and several drawers for storage.

On the opposite wall, a small window with pale blue curtains overlooks part of the village, and a wooden desk and chair positioned in front of it, complete with a table lamp. The radiator beneath the window seems to perform its job well, keeping the room at a toasty temperature.

Next to the desk is a bookshelf. There aren't too many books on it, but there's a handful. Upon closer inspection you can see there's a book on the history of Skogen, as well as several novels.

To Cass:

As you exit the bed-and-breakfast, there's a clear direction to go in — to your left seems to be a mostly residential area, and to your right is a much more interesting street, with what you presume to be a row of shops. It looks like there's a café and a pub, too.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Chloe
She heads downstairs, looking around. Cass and Kayla are nowhere to be seen, only Gertrud is behind the counter and Gab is dancing around like he needs yet another bathroom visit as he talks to that weird guy from before.

"Hey there. The others left already?"

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

WindwardAway posted:

[To Cass:

As you exit the bed-and-breakfast, there's a clear direction to go in — to your left seems to be a mostly residential area, and to your right is a much more interesting street, with what you presume to be a row of shops. It looks like there's a café and a pub, too.

Cass

Cass does a quick loop of the Village, it doesn't take very long to see all the town has to offer. Quaint. That's how she would describe this place. One of those words that sounds like it should be a compliment. A bakery makes breakfast promising at least, a fresh baked pastry in the morning will probably do a lot to improve her mood. But for now, there is only 1 question, Cafe or Pub.

It's barely a choice, Cass heads in to the pub and hopes they have some bar food at the very least. She heads to the bar, and takes a seat that is empty, preferably one with an empty seat on one side and a local on the other, then takes a look at the taps and picks something dark and thick, likely a porter or a stout.

I'll take a pint of that, and a menu if you've got one.

Settled in a bit, Cass goes to text the group where she is and realizes she has no ones number. She does have Kayla's twitter handle. So she sends Kayla a quick DM, hopefully she checks these regularly. With how many followers she has it's unlikely though.

code:
Hey Kayla, it's Cass. Guess you can tell that from the handle. 
My followers saw you in the video from the taxi and pointed me to your content, which is so cute by the way, and that's how I found you. 
But I realized that we don't have each other's numbers, we should start a text thread btw. 
I'm at the pub, take a right out of the B&B and head down the road for literally 1 minute and it'll be on the right. Keeping a seat warm for you
xoxo
She's done her due diligence in her mind. There aren't that many places in town, if they want to find her they can. Thoughts stream through her head, unbidden once again. She was quite rude to that man who barged in to the B&B, he looked in quite a snit, and even though he he started the rudeness, it didn't help anything to call him a creep. Especially if Kayla knows her. They are staying in the same house, for at least a few days while she figures out if this place is as much as a dud as it seems, no reason to have a contentious attitude from the jump.

Taking a deep sip of her freshly poured beer, Cass pulls out her phone again, and sends off another DM.

code:
And tell your friend I'm sorry for snapping at him, just a bit hangry. 
I have a bag of fritos in my pack that is just calling my name, but left it in my room.
Satisfied that she has smoothed everything over, Cass orders food if it exists, and spends time just chatting up the patrons about their town, and what there is to do. She will prod for spooky information only if the general vibe seems receptive. If they are stand-off-ish she won't push it.

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි
Samuel

Kayla posted:

"He's a local pen pal of mine."

Kayla looked bothered when she said that. Maybe it was something her interlocutor said, but Samuel didn't catch the words. Then she went up to her room. Am I getting too slow? No, I'm just tired after running all the way here. That must be it.

Gertrud posted:

"Of course you're welcome to join us, too. The more, the merrier!"

"Why, of course, Gertrud. Someone will need to eat those atrocious sandwiches, after all." Samuel's smile returns.

Another girl yelled to wait for her from upstairs. Are all the visitors women? It could not be a coven, could it!? A few seconds later, the spirited girl that bothered Kayla was already walking out the door. She talks and moves too fast! She doesn't wait for anyone and her companions don't seem to like her much. What a creep. I was wrong to think her willfulness was a good sign.

An odd looking young man stumbled next to Samuel. Ah! Not a coven then. Relieved, he noticed that the young man was trying to hide a limp. Better not mention it. Could be sensitive.

Gabriel posted:

"Hey, name's Gabriel. Sorry about the rush before, I had a bit of an accident in transit and needed a change of clothes". "That's some impressive burial mound right near here, isn't it? So well preserved, too. I'm happy the taxi driver let us stop and see them, I had never seen one so close!"

"Oh, the mound? Yes, it's well preserved." If only the local church was half as well preserved! "My kinsmen have odd priorities." This man is very fidgety. And yet... "Gabriel, is it? A good, virtuous name. Are you a brother in Christ?"

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Gab

He stops his train of thought long enough to hear Sam's question. So is this man a Catholic priest of some sort? Or just a religious person? given what you have read about Skogen, I bet this guy is not Mr. Popular here.

"Uh, thanks. A brother on...? Oh, no, not really. I'm Jewish."

Before he can keep on asking, Chloe barges down the stairs, blurting a question. "Hey there. The others left already?" Sam looks at her, apparently a tad startled by her apparition.

"Well, Cass stormed out earlier, Kayla is upstairs. I was going to say, it's getting late. Would you all care for dinner? You too, Mr. Samuel? There's bound to be a good place to eat around here. Do you know of any? Ah, and we can tell Kayla too, I'll go upstairs and tell her, bet she wants to come too, she is your friend, right? You two wait here for a sec, I will ask her, be right back, don't leave"

Gab bolts upstairs. It's only when he gets there that he realizes he has no idea what room Kayla is in, but surely it shouldn't be so hard? He lightly knocks on a couple doors, to no response - third one is the charm, it's locked and a warm light comes out fron underneath the door. He knocks eagerly.

"Hey, Kayla, you here? It's Gab. We're going out for dinner, your friend is coming too! Are you up for it? We'll wait for you if you want!"

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

WindwardAway posted:

Next to the desk is a bookshelf. There aren't too many books on it, but there's a handful. Upon closer inspection you can see there's a book on the history of Skogen, as well as several novels.

Kayla

Kayla plops down her luggage and gives the room a quick scan. She wants to hurry right back but can't help examining the bookshelf. Ooh, a history book? She grabs that one and tucks it next to her journal to read later. Heading back out, she's startled by someone knocking just before she can turn the doorknob.

Shellception posted:

"Hey, Kayla, you here? It's Gab. We're going out for dinner, your friend is coming too! Are you up for it? We'll wait for you if you want!"

Kayla catches her breath and opens the door with unintended comedic timing.

"Okay!"

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි
Samuel

Jewish, huh? Well, that's alright. The old commandments guide us both. I just hope he's not one of those Kabbalah freaks. Things didn't end well for the last kabbalist that visited.

Samuel looks at the new arrival. Time to try a different approach.

"Hello there. Samuel Karlsson, at your service. May I ask what brings you to Skogen?"

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Gab

"Looking good! Let's go, they are waiting downstairs"

As he starts walking down the corridor, he feels a pang of pain running through his foot. Ow. He winces and stops for a fraction of a second, before continuing at a slower pace. His mind is running fast for a distraction.

"Soooooo... this guy there in the hall, is he a friend of yours?"

Hopefully she didn't notice

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Shellception posted:

"Soooooo... this guy there in the hall, is he a friend of yours?"

Hopefully she didn't notice

Kayla

"Yes, we've been pen pals for a while now. Well, I have quite a lot of pen pals... it's a major hobby of mine. It might be easier to explain all that over dinner I think," Kayla gives a self-deprecating grin as they reach the bottom of the stairs.

"Sorry for the wait, Samuel. Where are we heading for dinner?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

wologar posted:

Samuel

Jewish, huh? Well, that's alright. The old commandments guide us both. I just hope he's not one of those Kabbalah freaks. Things didn't end well for the last kabbalist that visited.

Samuel looks at the new arrival. Time to try a different approach.

"Hello there. Samuel Karlsson, at your service. May I ask what brings you to Skogen?"

Chloe
"Hello, Chloe Martins. I'm an artist, I was hoping to find some inspiration for my next paintings in your beautiful village. That old burial mound we saw on the way here had the most beautiful view."

Chloe chats a bit about art as they wait for Kayla and Gabriel to come down.

Cloacamazing! fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Nov 26, 2022