Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1404831609887543298

It's the World Cup and England are playing at 1pm so I'm going to get in a solid morning of posting before I have to stop work in order to watch the football. I hope you'll all join me. All the opening day bullshit is done and we're into the good stuff of three matches per day, hell yeah.

Today's games:

Group A
Senegal - Netherlands 16:00 ITV

Group B
England - Iran 13:00 BBC
USA - Wales 19:00 ITV

Hopefully the brave Euro team captains all wear the good armbands and do a win so that FIFA make a grumpy face, but maybe they won't.

sebzilla fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Nov 21, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

I forgot to do a thread tag but maybe it's appropriate for a poo poo world cup so mods fix it or don't idc

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Triple posting for a triple game day, gently caress this non-gay earth

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/63699477

quote:

England, Wales and other European nations will not wear the OneLove armband at the World Cup in Qatar because of the threat of players being booked.

The captains of nine countries, including England's Harry Kane and Gareth Bale of Wales, had planned to wear the armband to promote diversity and inclusion.

A joint statement from seven Football Associations said they could not put their players "in a position where they could face sporting sanctions".

"We are very frustrated by the Fifa decision which we believe is unprecedented," the statement read.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Looking forward to breaking the world alt+tab speed record this afternoon

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011

the sex ghost posted:

Looking forward to breaking the world alt+tab speed record this afternoon

sorry i set it watching 13 separate college games every saturday

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

i work nights so frankly this world cup is the biggest win i could possibly get time wise.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Gale force winds and horizontal rain where I am, doesn't feel like a WC.

Wazzerphuk
Feb 9, 2001

Hating Chelsea before it was cool
Winner of the PWM POTM for September
Winner of the PWM POTM for January
Co-Winner of the PWM POTM for March
I'm on the way to the pub for the rest of the day, and all I can say is that I hope it comes home a lot more successfully than I do later.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

sebzilla posted:

Triple posting for a triple game day, gently caress this non-gay earth

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/63699477

All 11 players should wear the armband instead. Force the ref to book 11 players before the match has even kicked off.

Sod trying to win this tournament, let's just turn it into a total farce instead.

It's what it deserves.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
really nice of FIFA to let the British play twice in one day lol

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

https://twitter.com/England/status/1594661189677621248

Maguire starts lol

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Only 4 at the back. Brave, daring even

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

I'll be singing "Bukayo" to the tune of on a ragga tip today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXCN1DhHTZA

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Good team, will be a really exciting 1-0

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I'm thinking either 1-1 after a late defensive gently caress up, or 4-0 so Gareth can continue picking his fave boys because "it worked".

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
we're gonna smash them lads

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Maguire in a back two against Iran's number 9 Taremi who's banging them in for fun at Porto should be funny

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
Lineups

https://twitter.com/bbcsport/status/1594666591584649216?s=46&t=A00e5RdBU6kzLSy3hUTndg

https://twitter.com/bbcsport/status/1594661977086988297?s=46&t=A00e5RdBU6kzLSy3hUTndg

There’s so many opportunities for link up play in that front 6. Wonder if shaw will be pushed forward like he was in the Euro final with Trippier sitting more in midfield?

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

OK, this WC was worth it

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Total Meatlove posted:

Lineups

https://twitter.com/bbcsport/status/1594661977086988297?s=46&t=A00e5RdBU6kzLSy3hUTndg

There’s so many opportunities for link up play in that front 6. Wonder if shaw will be pushed forward like he was in the Euro final with Trippier sitting more in midfield?

That's a team that's gonna win their group stage matches by 5-0 and lose 1-0 in the first knockout

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

NinpoEspiritoSanto posted:

OK, this WC was worth it

Let me just say I have high hopes for the final, iykwim

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

https://twitter.com/Barcajim3/status/1594669655355973632?s=20&t=mPjiT8A_Q8krrHZZDTvHBA

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
*bursts into the thread* Qraptar

gott'em :colbert:

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Shrapnig posted:

Maguire starts lol

Why does this surprise you in the slightest?

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

In case Twitter vanishes etc

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

https://twitter.com/WeAreFreeLions/status/1594661043326062592

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
somehow in all the buildup i forgot at some point this was all going to rely on stone, maguire, and pickford

get the hanna barbera sound board ready

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
They should just let everyone outside in, they won't fill up the stadium anyway

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

2 hour wait to get in lol

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

SBS poll had England at 95% to win so really to the only place to go is down

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

greazeball posted:

That's a team that's gonna win their group stage matches by 5-0 and lose 1-0 in the first knockout

USA game is on ITV so not every game

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
Are they saying king or queen? This is important

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
players not sure if it's queen or king lol

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

Dirk Pitt posted:

Are they saying king or queen? This is important

God save arr Boris get your pots and pans out

Porrima
Oct 18, 2012

The world is fucked
and so are you.

Thanks, humanity
Finnish analyst asked some basic what do you think about england team question: *second of silence* I don’t get why that Maguire is playing.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

England Iran
Referee: Raphael CLAUS (BRA)
VAR: Leodan González (URU)

The post got really long vertically with all 10 officials listed out for three games so I just cut it down to the two anyone will really care about, the ref and the lead VAR.

Claus is the Brazilian referee who probably should be at the tournament. Of the three appointments today, this is the one probably most "earned". Claus worked a single game at Copa America 2019, three at Copa America 2021 (two group and third place), and four games at the 2019 U20 world cup (semi final between Ukraine and Italy). Not a lot of wider viewing opportunities for Claus, but he's a good CONMEBOL ref, shouldn't be any problems.

Senegal Netherlands
Referee: Wilton SAMPAIO (BRA)
VAR: Juan Soto (VEN)

I am not exactly sure why Sampaio is at the tournament outside of "A Brazilian is one of the biggest influences on the RefComm". He worked twice at Copa America 2019 and 2021 and once upon a time back in 2018 worked the Club World Cup where he did the "semi final" match between Real Madrid and Kashima Antlers. No youth world cup, no major international friendlies, in FIFA's eyes he's definitely Brazil's #2. That said... I'm not sure he can really mess this match up? This should be a really straightforward affair, so I guess if the RefComm is gonna just go all in on the nepotism, it's not the worst match in the world to do so on?

USA Wales
Referee: Abdulrahman AL-JASSIM (QAT)
Fourth Official: Ma Ning (CHN)
VAR: Abdullah Al-Marri (QAT)

The host nation has to have a referee at the tournament, but there is no rule about them having to have a really important game, or an early game. The last time the host referee worked this early was 20 years ago and it was match 10 or so, I believe, not match 4. This one is going to be extremely meaningful, and... it ended up with Al-Jassim. FIFA have been trying to get this guy ready for seven years, bringing him to the 2015 U17 WC, the 2017 U20 WC, he ended up at the Gold Cup in 2019 (USA Panama in the Group, Haiti Mexico semi final), and gave him the Club World Cup final between Liverpool and Flamengo in 2019.

He has... never really shown the quality you would hope in a referee that you have been pouring resources into for nearly a decade. He just doesn't have "it". And that could be a problem today. I hope I am wrong here and everything goes really well, but I'm nervous this could be the first big trainwreck of the World Cup

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

:britain:

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
at least half of them sang queen lol

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

Go Iran, knock these English down a peg or two

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side