Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
T h a n k s g i v i n g
This poll is closed.
Thanksgiving! 13 48.15%
thnksgiving... 14 51.85%
Total: 26 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

last month, for thanksgiving, i made beef bourguignon because i'm so done with turkey. will probably do the same for christmas. maybe a beef weelingtonbn

standing rib roast!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TK8325
Sep 22, 2014

im eating leftovers because i have to work on thanksgiving. gently caress the holidays

TK8325
Sep 22, 2014

heating leftover thanksgiving dinner in the oven takes forever and it still sucks so its like having thanksgiving dinner even if you didn't

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

TK8325 posted:

heating leftover thanksgiving dinner in the oven takes forever and it still sucks so its like having thanksgiving dinner even if you didn't

That’s why you just put a little of everything on a sandwich

TK8325
Sep 22, 2014

spritz a pile of pillows and blankets with hard alcohol or beer (both is best) and arrange them in the shape of a person on the recliner and you can pretend its your drunk step dad. hide a recording of slurs inside of it for added realism!

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Make my moms “pink stuff” and you’ll have a happy thanksgiving for sure. Super easy and quick

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Whether you smoke the turkey or deep fry the turkey, the main thing is that you get to use the oven for other dishes instead of having a turkey in it for 3 hours.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Green bean casserole rules.

My mom is getting a bit older so each of us kids brings a dish now.

Not to toot my own horn but I'm pretty awesome at making dressing.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

last month, for thanksgiving, i made beef bourguignon because i'm so done with turkey. will probably do the same for christmas. maybe a beef weelingtonbn

Thanksgiving hasn't happened yet!

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Chinatown posted:

Thanksgiving hasn't happened yet!

wrong.

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
The best part of thanksgiving dinners is the turducken +/- ham gumbo you can make with all the leftovers.

Is gumbo an innate plural? Gumboes? Gumboi?

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
my wife is making 3 of my thanksgiving favorite this year: mac and cheese, sweet potato casserole, and corn casserole. mmmmmm gently caress yeah

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

I love green bean casserole and I'm even making it and bringing it to the family gathering.

I even make it outside of Thanksgiving. It's me, I'm the one with terrible taste.

You don't even have to worry about making an expensive or good dish if you call the green beans early.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

satanic splash-back posted:

I love green bean casserole and I'm even making it and bringing it to the family gathering.

I even make it outside of Thanksgiving. It's me, I'm the one with terrible taste.

You don't even have to worry about making an expensive or good dish if you call the green beans early.

vile

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

satanic splash-back posted:

yeah i have the green bean casserole and pumpkin pie on lock

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
GBC is good

Squee
Jun 15, 2003
<3
spatchcock turkey + dry brine + smoke

https://www.seriouseats.com/quick-and-dirty-guide-to-brining-turkey-chicken-thanksgiving

Correctly brining and then not overcooking the bird is really the most important part

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

Demon Of The Fall posted:

my moms “pink stuff”

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

TURKEY BAD! :mad:

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Pumpkin pie is an F tier dessert. Pumpkin cheesecake, however, is S tier.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ree-drummond/pumpkin-gingersnap-cheesecake-3166868

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

this

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lol, gobble gobble gobble this waddle. :boom:

ClamdestineBoyster fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Nov 22, 2022

les enfants Terrific!
Dec 12, 2008
start making dishes early, so you can hate the entire week instead of just one day!

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Empty Sandwich posted:

standing rib roast!

just googled this, looks pretty fuckin dece actually. will consider this for the next big meal holiday (which is christmas, as thanksgiving has already passed)

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

les enfants Terrific! posted:

start making dishes early, so you can hate the entire week instead of just one day!

A buddy that works in a brewery told me that the Wednesday night before Thanksgiving is the biggest bar night of the year. Which stuns me, cuz that should be the biggest food prep night of the year. Who the gently caress has time to go to a bar when 9 dishes need prepping!?

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

Sometimes Thanksgiving lunch doesn't start till 3pm, now you know why.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Precooked spiral cut hams are always easier to prepare and cut.

If you have russet potatoes and milk and butter there is your side dish.

Corn and butter with rolls to even it out.

What is missing is the booze quotient.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Squee posted:

spatchcock turkey + dry brine

always both

Kenji's NYT recommendation this year: use mayo instead of oil or butter

Speleothing posted:

Whether you smoke the turkey or deep fry the turkey, the main thing is that you get to use the oven for other dishes instead of having a turkey in it for 3 hours.

exceedingly handy. the house where we're having it tomorrow has 2 ovens. :wotwot:

Zeluth posted:

Precooked spiral cut hams are always easier to prepare and cut.

I may already have posted this itt but I used to attend a Thanksgiving where in addition to having turkey turkey they would open a canned ham, place the ham (can and all) into a slow cooker, and cook it in this manner.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

fishing with the fam posted:

A buddy that works in a brewery told me that the Wednesday night before Thanksgiving is the biggest bar night of the year. Which stuns me, cuz that should be the biggest food prep night of the year. Who the gently caress has time to go to a bar when 9 dishes need prepping!?

gotta avoid family/hang out with the family. the people cooking will just drink at home.

I knew someone who had a very particular midlife crisis that involved them going out every night for over a year. it was only then that I learned there's always a bar open on Easter (if there are Sunday sales), Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, and Christmas, for people who don't have a better place to be or don't want to go there.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Empty Sandwich posted:

gotta avoid family/hang out with the family. the people cooking will just drink at home.

I knew someone who had a very particular midlife crisis that involved them going out every night for over a year. it was only then that I learned there's always a bar open on Easter (if there are Sunday sales), Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, and Christmas, for people who don't have a better place to be or don't want to go there.

My pathetic bachelor version of this is eating Jack in the Box for thanksgiving cause nothing else is open.

I’m once again looking forward to a Sourdough Jack and tacos for the holiday.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Empty Sandwich posted:

I may already have posted this itt but I used to attend a Thanksgiving where in addition to having turkey turkey they would open a canned ham, place the ham (can and all) into a slow cooker, and cook it in this manner.
Dulce de lechon :discourse:

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

They sell parchment bags that you put the turkey in while cooking and it helps keep the turkey moist.

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
lots of salt and pepper on everything, yes even the cranberry sauce

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Turkic dinner

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

neato burrito posted:

Wet brine is THE answer for those of us who aren't as culinarily (is that a word?) adept. Just buy a grocery store brine kit and bathe the THAWED bird for at least twelve hours. Ensure complete coverage. Rinse well, stick a thermometer into the thicc breast and cook at 325F until it hits 165F. Remove from oven, let sit for at least half an hour before serving. Stupid easy, you don't have to worry about basting, what side goes up, burning down your house, stuffing, weight to cooking time ratios; none of that. I've tried all other non-bbq / non-frying methods and it is hands down the best. Throw in a few extra sprigs of rosemary for extra goodness.

Most frozen grocery store birds are gonna be brined already, usually via injection to help plump up the weight. Even if it doesn't say it was brined on the bag check the nutrition label, odds are you're gonna see salt cause they bagged it in a brine and/or injected it with a salt solution. Brining these again can actually make them taste worse and mess with their texture, so be careful.

I would say regardless tho "dry brines" aka just seasoning something the day before you cook it, works way better in my experience. The reason for this is aside from the flavors it imparts, the salt pulls moisture out of the meat, which helps it cook more evenly at lower temps without loosing the juicyness. Now you might see "pulls moisture out" and "retains juicyness" as conflicting terms, but the juicyness in food isn't water it's myoglobin and such, meat juice, water just stalls cooktimes when it evaporates off the meat and ends up making you have to cook longer or at higher temps which is a quick way to ruin something like breast meat on poultry. If you have a standard frozen grocery store turkey that's been prebrined, you probably don't want to add more salt by dry brining it, but you can still pull it out of the bag, pat it down with paper towels, and let it air dry on a roasting pan the day/night before to help reduce excess water.

Otherwise you're absolutely right just measure temp well and pull it when it's done, don't faff around with trying to time it you'll certainly end up erring on the safer side and overcook it. I'd recommend going lower than that though, if you have the time go as low as possible, I've done an overnight smoke with a bird and it came out amazing, but you can also just wake up early, toss a bird in the oven at 250, and cook it all day.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Cranberry sauce sucks and if you bring that poo poo to my table, it’s over

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Nuts and Gum posted:

My pathetic bachelor version of this is eating Jack in the Box for thanksgiving cause nothing else is open.

I’m once again looking forward to a Sourdough Jack and tacos for the holiday.
You should try snagging a small bird and cooking it yourself. Turkey is good and cheap meat around thanksgiving and giving you a few tries on your own where you don't run the risk of ruining a turkey for other people is great. I started cooking turkeys in grad school because it was cheap protein and the practice was good when I eventually started cooking thanksgiving dinner for other people.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
make deviled eggs, aka, the King Of Appetizers

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Chinatown posted:

make deviled eggs, aka, the King Of Appetizers

Know what your getting into. :tinfoil: :devil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

ArbitraryC posted:

You should try snagging a small bird and cooking it yourself. Turkey is good and cheap meat around thanksgiving and giving you a few tries on your own where you don't run the risk of ruining a turkey for other people is great. I started cooking turkeys in grad school because it was cheap protein and the practice was good when I eventually started cooking thanksgiving dinner for other people.

That is a good idea! My parents never cooked and I never learned, but it’s gotten to a point of embarrassment now that I’m older.