Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Refs

Argentina - Saudi Arabia
Referee: Slavko VINCIC (SVN)
VAR: Pol van Boekel (NED)

This is an interesting one. So far, confederation neutrality is holding - that is, no CONMEBOL if there's a CONMEBOL team. Last world cup broke that so its not a hard and fast rule any more but early days, so we will see how long it lasts. Given it went to a UEFA referee, you'd have thought with how lopsided this would be that they would use it on a lower rated one.

That's not Vincic, I dont think. He worked three matches at Euro 2020 (2 group, quarterfinal Belgium Italy), has a couple of Champions League quarterfinals under his belt, and did the most recent Europa League final this past summer. This could be a case where FIFA and UEFA just don't agree on the pecking order, but... I dunno, anyway, this is going to be a boring game and I dont think Vincic is going to be challenged.

Denmark Tunisia
Referee: César RAMOS (MEX)
VAR: Fernando Guerrero (MEX)

Ramos struggled mightily at times throughout CONCACAF qualifying - it even looked like his spot as Mexico's #1 might have been in some doubt at one point. But he got his act together and so here he is. At the 2018 World Cup he worked Brazil Switzerland and Poland Colombia in the group stages before getting Uruguay Portugal in the Round of 16. I'm not sure exactly where in the general order FIFA currently see him, so hard to know if this is "easy match given to lower official" or "Protecting higher official for later by giving him an easy entry". Vincic is clearly the latter, Ramos may be the former - although as long as he doesn't have a major mistake, we will see Ramos a few more times I think.

Mexico Poland
Referee: Christopher BEATH (AUS)
Fourth Official: Stéphanie Frappart (FRA)
VAR: Shaun Evans (AUS)

Making a note of the fourth official, this is Frappart's debut at the World Cup. Beath worked the Olympics, where he had the final between Brazil and Spain, and worked the most recent Club World Cup final between Chelsea and Palmerias, and has an Asian Cup Semi Final. So he's had about the biggest matches "available" to him. But I dont know a super lot about him. Reading the tea leaves, FIFA really likes him since this should be a tougher match, so I suspect he's probably going to be fine? But this might be the most interesting match today just in terms of "could go completely off the rails", so if the players start just kicking each other hopefully Beath is ready to adapt.

France Australia
Referee: Victor GOMES (RSA)
Fourth Official: Salima Mukansanga (RWA)
VAR: Drew Fischer (CAN)

Another woman debuting at 4th official (USA female AR also debuting as reserve AR in this match). Gomes had two group stage games at the Olympic and had match in the final round in CAF qualifying. Gassama is clearly CAF's #1, but I think Gomes might be the #2. No specific thoughts on Gomes but a big game so an early test. A VAR from PRO on here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

lol Argentina almost scored twice in the time I was typing that up

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Jippa posted:

The officials must have got a bollocking after yesterday.

Yeah :agreed:, to see that so early on this game in particular means FIFA must have really hammered on they wanted VAR to send that. Would be surprised if the VAR from yesterday is a lead VAR again.

Tournament was already going to set a record for stoppage time, unless the players adapt quick we're gonna have a record for penalties given, too.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Fans of goals taken away for offside are loving this half

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

TheRat posted:

Because you're allowed to score with the shoulder

Yeah, IFAB had to really define where the “arm” starts because of VAR since hands and arms aren’t considered for offside, and they landed on “the upper boundary of the arm is in line with the bottom of the armpit”. So since the top of his shoulder was slightly ahead, the computer says he’s off.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

AngelesXO posted:

VAR says no

I, for one, welcome our computer overlords preventing Argentina being rude and running up the score, this should finish at a nice respectable 2-0

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Argentina will have wanted to not be offside on all those goals in the first half imo

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Ahahahahahaha

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Holy gently caress what a hit

Last time saudis let something fly that well was in 2001

Lmaoooo

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Saudi Arabia pushing for a third, the mad men

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

TheRat posted:

Someone should let the Argentines know they're behind. There's zero urgency.

Argentina know they have the moral victory of “most balls in net regardless of whether they count”, no need to push and leave yourself exposed at the back

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

DutchDupe posted:

protesting.

absolute shittery from him in stoppage to book the goalie lmao

Yeah no kidding, I thought Vincic had a strong first half but he has lost it in this second half, don’t know what he is doing lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

I am curious if he gives that as a penalty if there wasn’t that push in the back first given that VAR sent it down