Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StarFyter
Oct 10, 2012

I'll let you in on a secret: You didn't need to do that backtracking at the start, a couple steps forwards from the second bell there's one of those shortcut bridges you drop, connecting you to areas you've been to already. You can see the bridge at the end of the video when you're going back to the windmill.

Seconding this playthrough being weird but fun, game certainly lends itself to that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

cant cook creole bream posted:

Okay, you are way to early to do that stuff at 19:00. Figuring that out just from visual clues is impressive. This playthrough is weird, but fun.

impressive nothin', I'm outright amazed

agreed that it's fun to watch tho lol

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

StarFyter posted:

I'll let you in on a secret: You didn't need to do that backtracking at the start, a couple steps forwards from the second bell there's one of those shortcut bridges you drop, connecting you to areas you've been to already. You can see the bridge at the end of the video when you're going back to the windmill.

Seconding this playthrough being weird but fun, game certainly lends itself to that

I am honestly baffled how he figured that out but missed that blindingly obvious path. Twice.

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Dr Pepper posted:

I am honestly baffled how he figured that out but missed that blindingly obvious path. Twice.

I think I was subconsciously thinking about The Witness and the symmetrical mazes when I got back to the doors. I know I wondered out loud about it being a pattern and following the line. I honestly couldn't tell you what compelled me to try the d-pad, though.

...as far as missing the obvious....well, I'm really bloody good at that. For example, obsessing over the sequence in the manual and coming to the realization--this morning--that if I want to find the Fortress of the EASTERN Vault, I should examine the EAST part of the map more thoroughly

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
I think it's really fun seeing the assortment of obscure poo poo you intuit alongside the obvious stuff you just completely miss. Really enjoying what you've done so far, looking forward to more.

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Pungry posted:

I think it's really fun seeing the assortment of obscure poo poo you intuit alongside the obvious stuff you just completely miss. Really enjoying what you've done so far, looking forward to more.

Yep...moments of sheer brilliance heavily flanked with eons of abject stupidity. That's me, all right!

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

gently caress around and find out, the game

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Carbon dioxide posted:

In some respects, yes.

Speaking of which, next segment is out!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Wfb07kQmQg

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

does the sound those monolith things make when activated go right down anyone else's spine, or is that just me

Carbon dioxide posted:

:hmmyes:

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Dec 16, 2022

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Ciaphas posted:

does the sound those monolith things make when activated go right down anyone else's spine, or is that just me

It could be just you, but I will absolutely commend the sound design in this game. Having been subjected to some....less than stellar examples (see the Year of FROMSoft that Dewgy and I did a little while back to know what I mean), this is done exceedingly well!

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

A day off of my pace, but new episode!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-HGzeWtBkg

It's definitely getting a little painful now. I'm'a need to get my act together, it seems.

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
That particular boss was the most painful one for me, before the endgame.
Also I can't really think of a hint that doesn't make obvious how to beat it. :v:

Ciaphas posted:

Yes, actually. The sound is... off-putting in a weird drat way. I don't like 'em for that, nor for other reasons.

Lynneth fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Dec 21, 2022

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost
I know a non-spoilery hint: You can use the D-pad to switch which enemy you're locked onto so you can focus on enemies more easily.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
Try staying under him to avoid his attacks.

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Item Getter posted:

Try staying under him to avoid his attacks.

After the video, I thought a little more about the fight a little more, and I think my strategy is to stick as close as I can. I'll have to see if I can get hits in before I get clocked by some of those front leg swings. We'll see how that goes when I set up to record next!

StarFyter
Oct 10, 2012

You got my favourite card, and met my least favourite boss in the game. Never felt like I got a good read on how to beat the Siege Engine "properly". For some reason beating a boss in games like this with pure brute force (or exploits) left me unsatisfied with myself.

I wish you luck on your attempts! Can definitely recommend moving the lock-on around to more easily get rid of the fairy enemies. Can't recall if the fireballs can be blocked or not. That's a point of critique I have about the game as well, it's sometimes difficult to tell what you can and cannot block, without just trying it first. Thankfully the price of trying and dying is pretty minimal, so it evens out a little.

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011

StarFyter posted:

That's a point of critique I have about the game as well, it's sometimes difficult to tell what you can and cannot block, without just trying it first. Thankfully the price of trying and dying is pretty minimal, so it evens out a little.
The shieldbash/parry is also hell to pull off if you don't memorize exactly the enemy's attack pattern/speed.
I just never bothered with it, in the end.

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Lynneth posted:

The shieldbash/parry is also hell to pull off if you don't memorize exactly the enemy's attack pattern/speed.
I just never bothered with it, in the end.

I keep forgetting its a thing, so I haven' really experimented with it beyond one time, when I got smacked for mis-timing it!

So it becomes difficult to record when in-laws occupy the only real quiet, not-next-to-a-sleeping-child's-room area that I can use to record, so I got off my pace again. I did manage to get one done and prepared today! Take a look, as I manage to NOT embarrass myself!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6xc2ghbEdM

....or, let's be real here, I am a constant embarrassment, so...break even?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
I think your audio is delayed about 5 seconds from the video track on the latest episode.

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Lemniscate Blue posted:

I think your audio is delayed about 5 seconds from the video track on the latest episode.

You would be correct...apparently, my video editing program, which has never caused this problem before, decided to make problems for me (the raw recording file is fine) :eng99:

Working on a fix now

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Professor Duck posted:

You would be correct...apparently, my video editing program, which has never caused this problem before, decided to make problems for me (the raw recording file is fine) :eng99:

Working on a fix now

...and fixed!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3ntHK-tYkQ

Y'know, I was just talking about that whole "being an embarrassment" thing...looks like I've still got it!

Deathwind
Mar 3, 2013

I'm a bit late joining the thread but I'm noticing that there are some inconsistencies between videos.

At the start of episode 2 you have a manual page you didn't end episode 1 with and are missing the items that looked like fruit, it's a bit odd to see off camera play occurring in what's described as a blind let's play...

Edit: Watching further this feels scripted, you seem to already know the best way to handle every enemy encountered, stumble into hidden areas that have little to no hints of their existence, and comment about not fighting enemies when there are none to be seen as if there was a surprise encounter you already knew was coming...

Deathwind fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Dec 29, 2022

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Deathwind posted:

I'm a bit late joining the thread but I'm noticing that there are some inconsistencies between videos.

At the start of episode 2 you have a manual page you didn't end episode 1 with and are missing the items that looked like fruit, it's a bit odd to see off camera play occurring in what's described as a blind let's play...

Edit: Watching further this feels scripted, you seem to already know the best way to handle every enemy encountered, stumble into hidden areas that have little to no hints of their existence, and comment about not fighting enemies when there are none to be seen as if there was a surprise encounter you already knew was coming...

The discrepancy between episodes 1 and 2 I can explain pretty easily: While I was recording episode 2, my recording failed, and Tunic autosaves, which overwrote the file I was playing. So, I started the game over again and played up to where I was previously. I didn't remember exactly everything I had done, so there may have been things I picked up that I previously missed, like that manual page, and then things I didn't get on the re-record that I had on the first run.

As for everything else, I don't know what to tell you. I stated I was coming at this blind, and that's what I've been doing since the start. I haven't looked at any guides about what to do next, and my only clues for what to do next come from thinking about what I did and reviewing my recordings and reading the thread.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
I haven't played this either, but I'm pretty sure you're not using a guide or anything just from watching you miss or forget to follow up on something that I notice on the screen, and sometimes come back for it later when you're re-exploring. If you were more familiar with the game or following a guide you'd pick them up, barring some kind of masterful long-term deception that would be absolutely silly to perpetrate here on the Something Awful Dot Com Forums.

Not criticizing, mind - that's part of the charm of blind LPs and I'm enjoying this one, and the game.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Professor Duck posted:

The discrepancy between episodes 1 and 2 I can explain pretty easily: While I was recording episode 2, my recording failed, and Tunic autosaves, which overwrote the file I was playing. So, I started the game over again and played up to where I was previously. I didn't remember exactly everything I had done, so there may have been things I picked up that I previously missed, like that manual page, and then things I didn't get on the re-record that I had on the first run.

As for everything else, I don't know what to tell you. I stated I was coming at this blind, and that's what I've been doing since the start. I haven't looked at any guides about what to do next, and my only clues for what to do next come from thinking about what I did and reviewing my recordings and reading the thread.

IMO that poster was being rude and posting in bad faith. Just ignore them. I'm enjoying this LP and since I don't know this game well it's nice to discover everything with you.

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
Considering I played through the game, more or less 100%ed it, watching you bumble around and miss occasionally some things that feel obvious to me?
Yeah, this ain't scripted or non-blind. I'm enjoying it, for the most part. :V

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Yeah, the epiphany of using the dpad was the only moment where it felt off. But that was just serendipity.
You are mostly just really thorough and are hugging the walls better than I did.

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

Professor Duck posted:

The discrepancy between episodes 1 and 2 I can explain pretty easily: While I was recording episode 2, my recording failed, and Tunic autosaves, which overwrote the file I was playing. So, I started the game over again and played up to where I was previously.

Isn't there a Load Game option that lets you avoid picking up from Autosaves?

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Delphisage posted:

Isn't there a Load Game option that lets you avoid picking up from Autosaves?

There is a "load game" option, but it keeps separate playthroughs as their own files. The autosave continuously overwrites the current file, as far as I could tell. I couldn't get any previous states back, so the easiest thing was to just restart since I wasn't that far in.

Also appreciate the support, and I'm glad that some of you are enjoying the run! "Bumbling" feels like an apt description of how this is proceeding, but I've enjoyed the game so far!

Here's the next installment, and Happy New Year to y'all!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whfPbwC1trA

Deathwind
Mar 3, 2013

Professor Duck posted:

Fair enough, I posted that after only watching episode 2, sorry if I came across like an rear end.

Deathwind fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jan 2, 2023

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Deathwind posted:

Fair enough, I posted that after only watching episode 2, sorry if I came across like an rear end.

No worries! If this was a work, I'm doing a horrible job of it :shittydog:

Speaking of horrible jobs, here's the next episode!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2E0fspXtE0

I have a feeling this is going to be a problem...

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
By the way, it might be obvious but I thought I can mention it now that the LP has been to several areas. Outside of 1 exception, the LP has been "mostly" following the intended order of the game progression according to the order of the manual pages etc. Though this game is fairly open ended in the order you can explore areas. I somehow missed the path that leads to the Under the Well dungeon, so I fully explored Ruined Atoll, Frog's Domain and some of one area the LP hasn't reached yet before finding Under the well/dark tomb/west garden. Also the birds in Ruined Atoll were really annoying and hard to fight at that point, as I also hadn't found the magic wand yet.

Deathwind
Mar 3, 2013

It seems this game subscribes to the "pissey boss mode" school of boss design.
Also it seems that freezing doesn't do damage, with the freeze dagger's mana cost wouldn't it be better to wand that boss?

Deathwind fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Jan 6, 2023

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Deathwind posted:

It seems this game subscribes to the "pissey boss mode" school of boss design.
That kinda feels like the standard these days...

quote:

Also it seems that freezing doesn't do damage, with the freeze dagger's mana cost wouldn't it be better to wand that boss?

The dagger doesn't damage, but the shots I can get in while the boss is frozen do some decent damage in comparison to the wand. Setting up for some more tries tonight, and I'm thinking about trying doing the wand pot-shot strategy along with using the magic orb (which I talked about doing during the run last time, but never tried), and see if either of those get me any close to victory...or, y'know, actually get me victory. Since my healing items aren't given back to me on a death, I might have to go and grind some money for supplies first...

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Like you do recall they the dodge roll gives you invinibility frames right.

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Dr Pepper posted:

Like you do recall they the dodge roll gives you invinibility frames right.

I do--I recall making a comment about not timing the roll right on the horizontal attack. I don't remember if I tried rolling through the beam, but I either completely mistimed the beam on the Siege Engine, like, every time, or there seem to be some exceptions as to what you can roll through with your I-frames.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

There are no exceptions.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Strangely enough the one boss I had the least issue with is the one that you're having the most problems with. The Siege engine was a pain in the neck to keep behind and do damage to its weak point and the Garden Knight just seemed to have my number for some reason. This guy seemed to be a pretty slow methodical fight I ground down.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
I don't think you can rely on there ever being an in-game translation, key or guide to the language. I would bet you aren't actually expected to read it, and that if you want to, you'll need to decipher it like a code.

(I mean, I assume they know some people will absolutely do that and it will be intelligible and perhaps informative, but I don't think you will ever need to read it.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deathwind
Mar 3, 2013

malkav11 posted:

I don't think you can rely on there ever being an in-game translation, key or guide to the language. I would bet you aren't actually expected to read it, and that if you want to, you'll need to decipher it like a code.

(I mean, I assume they know some people will absolutely do that and it will be intelligible and perhaps informative, but I don't think you will ever need to read it.)

Odds are translating will be required to 100%