Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
So far it seems like all you would get from being able to translate is more guidance about what's happening and/or explicit info about locations or similar. If you're sufficiently thorough in searching and prodding, you wouldn't ever need that sort of info. It'd just save you time.

Where it might become mandatory is some sort of puzzle whose parameters you can only identify by translation. But we don't seem to have seen anything like that yet. I guess that doesn't rule it out, though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

malkav11 posted:

So far it seems like all you would get from being able to translate is more guidance about what's happening and/or explicit info about locations or similar. If you're sufficiently thorough in searching and prodding, you wouldn't ever need that sort of info. It'd just save you time.

Where it might become mandatory is some sort of puzzle whose parameters you can only identify by translation. But we don't seem to have seen anything like that yet. I guess that doesn't rule it out, though!

I honestly have no idea at this point. It's just frustrating to know that there is probably information in the manual and in the game world that MIGHT be helpful (who knows), but I have no way of actually perceiving what it is since I have no guidance on how to translate it. I may have missed an obvious clue on how to do so somewhere, but I can't even pick that up.

Oh, well. No other choice but to keep grinding along

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Professor Duck posted:

I honestly have no idea at this point. It's just frustrating to know that there is probably information in the manual and in the game world that MIGHT be helpful (who knows), but I have no way of actually perceiving what it is since I have no guidance on how to translate it. I may have missed an obvious clue on how to do so somewhere, but I can't even pick that up.

Oh, well. No other choice but to keep grinding along

I mean, if you really want to you could possibly get somewhere yourself. If the language is just a cipher of English, all you have to do is find a word where you can guess what it says from context, see if you can figure out which symbol is which letter, and then fill those letters in elsewhere so you can deduce more words and so on.

But I would be surprised if the game requires this for beating it.

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Carbon dioxide posted:

I mean, if you really want to you could possibly get somewhere yourself. If the language is just a cipher of English, all you have to do is find a word where you can guess what it says from context, see if you can figure out which symbol is which letter, and then fill those letters in elsewhere so you can deduce more words and so on.

It might not, but it'll bug me all the same if I don't at least attempt to figure it out.

Speaking of figuring it out, it's time to take another shot at The Librarian!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5NqxJWh1E8

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Carbon dioxide posted:

I'm assuming it's just a cipher for English, yeah. But I'll be honest, I personally am not into cryptography enough to decipher stuff like this, let alone the really complicated ones.

Deathwind
Mar 3, 2013

In the most recent part at about the 20 minute mark you tilted the camera and it showed a bridge.

The passage under the waterfall at 26 minutes was a chest you got the first time you were here.

That dead-end cave with the unreachable enemy, last time you were there he was walking weird and the camera zoomed out to show it. Odd, unexplained camera shifts demand attention.

Deathwind fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Jan 8, 2023

lookw
Oct 7, 2014

Professor Duck posted:

It might not, but it'll bug me all the same if I don't at least attempt to figure it out.

Speaking of figuring it out, it's time to take another shot at The Librarian!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5NqxJWh1E8

im gonna have to rewatch your previous episodes to see how you fought the librarian before. I remember the fight being a bit easier than that for me.

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Deathwind posted:

In the most recent part at about the 20 minute mark you tilted the camera and it showed a bridge.

:kstare: How in the hell did I not see that? drat I feel stupid now. I'll have to go back and investigate that.

quote:

That dead-end cave with the unreachable enemy, last time you were there he was walking weird and the camera zoomed out to show it. Odd, unexplained camera shifts demand attention.

Yeah. There doesn't seem like there's a readily accessible way down to the floor below, and killing the enemy did nothing the last time. It might be that I need to mimic him, but I'm not sure where that would need to occur.

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011

Professor Duck posted:

Yeah. There doesn't seem like there's a readily accessible way down to the floor below, and killing the enemy did nothing the last time. It might be that I need to mimic him, but I'm not sure where that would need to occur.
Didn't you open some doors with the direction pad/d-pad? Might be worth trying that with the dude in that cave, instead.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Fedule fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jan 9, 2023

Deathwind
Mar 3, 2013

Something looks wrong with that...

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Lynneth posted:

Didn't you open some doors with the direction pad/d-pad? Might be worth trying that with the dude in that cave, instead.

I was expecting to do so in a specific place, but I guess maybe doing it anywhere in the area once the camera pulls back might work. I'll give it a try when I run the next episode!

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Professor Duck posted:

I was expecting to do so in a specific place, but I guess maybe doing it anywhere in the area once the camera pulls back might work. I'll give it a try when I run the next episode!

...and here it is!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDn4APfHaZY

Deathwind
Mar 3, 2013

Why is the quarry filled with the color out of space?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Deathwind posted:

Why is the quarry filled with the color out of space?

It seems to be used to power all sorts of things throughout the country, and damaged bits of technology result in leakages.

If you're concerned about running out of blue, could you not invert your ash for long enough to drink a flask then change your cards back?

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Jan 11, 2023

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

The Lone Badger posted:

It seems to be used to power all sorts of things throughout the country, and damaged bits of technology result in leakages.

If you're concerned about running out of blue, could you not invert your ash for long enough to drink a flask then change your cards back?

I actually thought of that and did it around the 16-17 minute mark. The refill from it was not great, so I quickly switched it back after using one. It'll be helpful in a pinch.

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011

Where there's one of these shiny flying critters, there's probably more of them. It's probably some kind of collectible - maybe keep a lookout for places where there's hints to d-pad directions?
At 32:00, the camera went into a particular angle. Something about that stone formation maybe?

Also, I think I saw a staircase going down on the lower left around 25:25.

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Lynneth posted:

Where there's one of these shiny flying critters, there's probably more of them. It's probably some kind of collectible - maybe keep a lookout for places where there's hints to d-pad directions?
At 32:00, the camera went into a particular angle. Something about that stone formation maybe?

Also, I think I saw a staircase going down on the lower left around 25:25.

I totally forgot to investigate this for the new episode. I got sidetracked from playing in a curling tournament this weekend and I only just got to sit down and record tonight. I will have to make sure I go back for anything on the next one later this week!

....but here's the next episode! Making more progress and hitting more roadblocks :shittydog:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tCZ-kGpr0s

Deathwind
Mar 3, 2013

Interesting note: it seems the turrets preferred aiming at the glowing horrors over you.

Also I'm so stealing that dollar store master chief line.

Deathwind fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jan 18, 2023

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Deathwind posted:

Interesting note: it seems the turrets preferred aiming at the glowing horrors over you.

Also I'm so stealing that dollar store master chief line.

I did notice that...but then they wanted to kick my rear end again. "The enemy of my enemy is...still an enemy", and all that.

...and steal away! I'm always happy to actually be entertaining once in a while! :shittydog:

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
That room with all the pink spiders really sucks if you didn't pick up the gun first.
Yeah some alternate tactics I ended up doing were trying to bait the turrets into shooting at them, also you can hookshot the destroyed turrets to stand on the little island they are on and shoot the spiders from there with impunity.
Speaking of guns don't forget you have a gun now

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Item Getter posted:

That room with all the pink spiders really sucks if you didn't pick up the gun first.
Yeah some alternate tactics I ended up doing were trying to bait the turrets into shooting at them, also you can hookshot the destroyed turrets to stand on the little island they are on and shoot the spiders from there with impunity.
Speaking of guns don't forget you have a gun now

It wasn't really enjoyable, but at least I'm through that and hopefully I won't have to go through it again!

New episode, and it's a good one!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hsH7wFo_S8

...and I apologize for the slower update schedule. I've been dealing with a lot of garbage lately and it makes it much harder to want to be "on" for a recording. I'm hoping I can get back into the groove again.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
That was a fun video. You did good at the fight, but the complete feeling of "what now?" afterwards was great.

Wa11y
Jul 23, 2002

Did I say "cookies?" I meant, "Fire in your face!"
That boss victory was awesome, and well earned.

cant cook creole bream posted:

...but the complete feeling of "what now?" afterwards was great.

Yeah, that was where I got mad at the developers for KNOWING they were making their game too inaccessible. I did the same thing: slotted in the 3rd colored MacGuffin, the rings dropped...and nothing happened. I ask out loud, "So, what now?" And then an achievement pops up.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Of all the "what now?" the game gives this didn't seem to me to be the worst of it. I guess since I really can't stand the Tunic language tools in how to translate it I won't spoilertext the reasoning for it and just wait til next video to explain my reasoning.

But I will say that I think that with how things have progressed so far, I'm somewhat surprised it wasn't figured out... well maybe not the actual next step but there was an intuitive place to check for a change.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Yeah, I had a fairly certain idea where to go from there, considering why I collected those things in the first place.
But I did like the utter lack of effect there. Those rings are gone now. Congratulation for removing rings!

lookw
Oct 7, 2014
so i just caught up with your videos. First of all im enjoying your videos and playthrough.

I do have a question for you. would you like a small tip? not about how to progress or any other spoiler but rather something i would like to point out.

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

lookw posted:

so i just caught up with your videos. First of all im enjoying your videos and playthrough.

I do have a question for you. would you like a small tip? not about how to progress or any other spoiler but rather something i would like to point out.

I'm not opposed to that--fire away!

FeyerbrandX posted:

Of all the "what now?" the game gives this didn't seem to me to be the worst of it. I guess since I really can't stand the Tunic language tools in how to translate it I won't spoilertext the reasoning for it and just wait til next video to explain my reasoning.

But I will say that I think that with how things have progressed so far, I'm somewhat surprised it wasn't figured out... well maybe not the actual next step but there was an intuitive place to check for a change.

Well, for me at the time, there didn't seem to be any clear path forward. I was obviously trying to think through the manual, and conjectured about the cemetary possibly being the next stop, and maybe the door in the mountains. I wasn't thinking super hard, as there is an obvious place now to possibly poke around. Guess we'll see about that next time!

Wa11y posted:

That boss victory was awesome, and well earned.

Thanks! It was pretty intense there, especially since I was in trouble for a while in that one

Wa11y posted:

Yeah, that was where I got mad at the developers for KNOWING they were making their game too inaccessible. I did the same thing: slotted in the 3rd colored MacGuffin, the rings dropped...and nothing happened. I ask out loud, "So, what now?" And then an achievement pops up.

Yeah, I had a fairly certain idea where to go from there, considering why I collected those things in the first place.
But I did like the utter lack of effect there. Those rings are gone now. Congratulation for removing rings!

gently caress rings, man.

...but I think I have a lead. I might still try some other stuff, but we'll see if my hunch is right now. :shittydog:

lookw
Oct 7, 2014

Professor Duck posted:

I'm not opposed to that--fire away!

Sure, everyone has their own play style when it comes to this game (lots of freedom) so this is more a general piece of advice. try experimenting with your other relics in other situations. Trying out different relics in different situations can lead to unexpected discoveries.

If you would like a more explicit piece of advice (ill spoiler tag them but they arent plot spoilers)

You can use the grappling line on enemies to pull them towards you. this even works on some bosses and can stun them for a few hits if done correctly. its how I handled the Librarian boss without having to wait for them to come in close. just lock on and grapple them and drag them towards you and attack with your sword. of course this requires mana and of course that brings them next to you but its effective.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I name the blocky-things "Soylent Obelisk".

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Confession time: I wasn't really good at the combat, so I decided to full on cheese the rat boss. Using that card which let's your potions heal mana to turboload the shotgun is quite handy.

Twib
Dec 24, 2013

Confession time: I wasn't really good at the combat, so I decided to full on cheese the rat boss. Using that card which let's your potions heal mana to turboload the shotgun is quite handy.

Same. I play on a laptop with no controller, so actually dodging and moving gives my fingers cramps. I ended up wandering into the mines area before ever getting any of the rings, so I've been shotgunning things to death for a while.

Fun fact: As long as you have even a drop of mana left, you can pull the trigger on the shotty!

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Twib posted:

Fun fact: As long as you have even a drop of mana left, you can pull the trigger on the shotty!

Yeah, it's ridiculous against the librarian, since he will happily spawn minions to drop delicious mana.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I looked up speed run strats and found extremely forbidden tech.

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Twib posted:

Same. I play on a laptop with no controller, so actually dodging and moving gives my fingers cramps. I ended up wandering into the mines area before ever getting any of the rings, so I've been shotgunning things to death for a while.

I think that might be with any mana-powered weapon. I've been able to use the dagger when it seems like I shouldn't be able to.

Yeah, it's ridiculous against the librarian, since he will happily spawn minions to drop delicious mana.

I guess I could've gone in a different order--I was so locked into doing things in the order the manual presents I really hadn't thought about that. Might have made that an easier time, since that's been my hardest encounter so far.

FeyerbrandX posted:

I looked up speed run strats and found extremely forbidden tech.

You'll have to share with the class once I've wrapped things up. I've looked on and off at speedruns for various games and its just wild.

Speaking of wrapping things up--well, we're not quite there yet, but I think this will be the penultimate episode (unless something goes really wrong) in the main run-through here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nC1-cMZEQs

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I hope youtube is still busy encoding because right now the vid is only available in low res.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Good job nuking that place to hell. I'd advise against collecting your stuff off-camera.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

...there's a shop there? huh.

How I dealt with the boss rush was: do anything but the fairy swarm first. Usually the skeleton horde... know what works great on the undead in movies? a shotgun.

The rest of the solution was the secret sauce I mentioned earlier... but item spam does very well apparently.

Also to reinforce what cant cook creole bream said, don't offscreen this stuff, I can give one good reason: when I played there was one item that never seemed to take, I think it was the strength grave. I'd go there, "pick" up the prize and then leave, but it didnt' actually collect. So I went back 2-3 more times to actually get it. At the very least if you get the similar bug you'll have video footage of what betrayed you.

FeyerbrandX fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jan 28, 2023

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Carbon dioxide posted:

I hope youtube is still busy encoding because right now the vid is only available in low res.

Hopefully it fixed itself. I thought I sent it live when it was done processing.

Good job nuking that place to hell. I'd advise against collecting your stuff off-camera.

FeyerbrandX posted:

...there's a shop there? huh.

How I dealt with the boss rush was: do anything but the fairy swarm first. Usually the skeleton horde... know what works great on the undead in movies? a shotgun.

The rest of the solution was the secret sauce I mentioned earlier... but item spam does very well apparently.

Also to reinforce what cant cook creole bream said, don't offscreen this stuff, I can give one good reason: when I played there was one item that never seemed to take, I think it was the strength grave. I'd go there, "pick" up the prize and then leave, but it didnt' actually collect. So I went back 2-3 more times to actually get it. At the very least if you get the similar bug you'll have video footage of what betrayed you.

Fair enough. I guess I'll put my "scramble around and look more like an idiot when I forget where one of the tombs is" recording up once I've done it :shittydog:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Professor Duck posted:

Hopefully it fixed itself. I thought I sent it live when it was done processing.

Looks like it did.