Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Carbon dioxide posted:

Looks like it did.

Excellent!

Here's part next, which is NOW the penultimate episode of our journey. I got sidetracked by a few things from the manual I was thinking about between recordings, find all the Hero's Graves, and try to finish things.

...it didn't end well :<
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWM5hOOypIk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deathwind
Mar 3, 2013

This is feeling less like Dark Souls and more like the back half of Fez...

I cannot be the only one starting to see patterns...

Deathwind fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Feb 2, 2023

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Deathwind posted:

poo poo, now I'm playing Fez again.

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Deathwind posted:

Solitair posted:

poo poo, now I'm playing Fez again.

I never played that, so I can't speak to that...

What I can speak to is how amazingly frustrated I was with getting this last episode recorded. I had to record the whole thing 3 times--first time there was no game audio in the final recording, and the 2nd time the recording froze about 15 minutes in. I have now beaten the last fight 3 times--but only once on a fully realized recording!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08NpWIYMFiQ

This was a good time. I think I'll try and wrap up the 2nd ending with some help...I did like this game, but it was definitely tough bumbling through this thing blind. I did include all those thoughts and more at the tail end of the video, too!

Hopefully y'all had fun along with me, and with one more video, I'll be calling this a thread! Thanks for coming on the journey with me!

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

So you found the "gently caress this I just want to enjoy the game and not deal with bosses with way too much health" button. It's on one of the manual pages, I think it's (ice dagger icon) + (magic rod icon) =? to encourage you to try it. Definitely better than the extremely expensive and slow windup time of the dagger, even if it loses the AOE.

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

FeyerbrandX posted:

So you found the "gently caress this I just want to enjoy the game and not deal with bosses with way too much health" button. It's on one of the manual pages, I think it's (ice dagger icon) + (magic rod icon) =? to encourage you to try it. Definitely better than the extremely expensive and slow windup time of the dagger, even if it loses the AOE.

THAT'S WHAT THAT WAS! I stared at that for so long trying to figure that out....although there was something with the magic orb in that same "equation", so I was stumped at what it was trying to say...I guess maybe going along with the location in the picture in the corner, which I had forgotten where that was?

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

that might be something else, or maybe I was thinking of that margin note... that's also a thing, at least for one required secret.

I think the Librarian speedrun strat uses the grapple too. It at least requires the alluring skull fake fox aggro item.

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost
Normally I comboed whaling on the frozen boss with an immediate parry after I get knocked back. It almost always works to get a stunlock pattern going on the second phase.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

So, is this the time for someone to make an effortpost about the language and all the stuff we missed about the game's plot?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Carbon dioxide posted:

So, is this the time for someone to make an effortpost about the language and all the stuff we missed about the game's plot?

OP said they were going to try to show the second ending, so there's still a lot of potential spoilers.

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Lemniscate Blue posted:

OP said they were going to try to show the second ending, so there's still a lot of potential spoilers.

Yeah--the plan is to show the second ending, although I will freely admit to cheating in determining where the missing 2 manual pages are, and how to get to them (which I actually had suspected for both)...so I've spoiled a few things for myself, but I haven't seen the ending yet, so there's that.

Should be taking care of that tonight, or in the next couple of days.

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Professor Duck posted:

Yeah--the plan is to show the second ending, although I will freely admit to cheating in determining where the missing 2 manual pages are, and how to get to them (which I actually had suspected for both)...so I've spoiled a few things for myself, but I haven't seen the ending yet, so there's that.

Should be taking care of that tonight, or in the next couple of days.

....Or I'll just get it done now!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUhToTpsjRs

NOW with that, I'm calling it a run! If you would like to spoil things now, have at it (maybe still use spoiler tags, though, in case someone was watching and reading ahead)!

Thanks for the support and the hints! It was a lot of fun :shittydog:

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
At this point I can now say it's hilarious that you managed to clue in to the Holy Cross so early on and then completely missed the Fairy Radar spell. I guess you probably found it while looking up where to find the back cover.

Speaking of which, if you really want to crack the language, it's as you guessed, that memo page is your rosetta stone, in that it gives you a complete alphabet and two direct, revealing translations that will clue you in to the breakthrough. There's no puzzles in the game that hinge on the language, but as you can imagine it blows the lore wide open and with some effort you can read what the plot has been this whole time.

...well, okay, there's one, which leads you down a rabbit hole that eventually reveals a second hidden language in arpeggios in the soundtrack and sfx. But that wasn't a thing normal people would solve. The developer refers to it as "content for no-one".

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

As you can see, I had a pretty good time with Tunic's endgame puzzles. The Fez comparison that got brought up earlier is apt, but I think Tunic ultimately does it better.

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
https://www.swordchomp.com/articles-feed/2022/4/2/tunic-manual-translated

And there's the full, translated manual for Tunic. It's neat.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

So what happens if you do the secret ritual from the back cover?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

The Lone Badger posted:

It's a bit stupid, honestly:
If you collected some collectibles, you can enter a room. In that room, if you press the d-pad to make various letters of the cyphered language appear, which switch when you press buttons. If you produce the the right combination, those happen to form an url to a website so you can have a bit of ARG to finish the game off.

lookw
Oct 7, 2014

Professor Duck posted:

....Or I'll just get it done now!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUhToTpsjRs

NOW with that, I'm calling it a run! If you would like to spoil things now, have at it (maybe still use spoiler tags, though, in case someone was watching and reading ahead)!

Thanks for the support and the hints! It was a lot of fun :shittydog:

well first of all im glad you got through the game! it was fun watching you and its always great watching people discover things. I was surprised you figured out the ice dagger + fire wand combo as i didnt discover that combo until post-game.

I primarily used the grapple to drag bosses and enemies to me since it stunned them and allowed me to get in a few hits. items like the decoy and MP recovery berries(?) helped me handle the super aggressive bosses. There are a few speed run tricks that can be done with the grapple.

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Thanks, everyone, for the additional resources and insights to things I missed! It's really neat to get into the extra layers that exist within in this game, including the Glyph Tower and the end result from that.

lookw posted:

well first of all im glad you got through the game! it was fun watching you and its always great watching people discover things. I was surprised you figured out the ice dagger + fire wand combo as i didnt discover that combo until post-game.

I primarily used the grapple to drag bosses and enemies to me since it stunned them and allowed me to get in a few hits. items like the decoy and MP recovery berries(?) helped me handle the super aggressive bosses. There are a few speed run tricks that can be done with the grapple.

Thanks--I'm glad I went through it! It was a great game and a good challenge that felt fair almost the entire time.

I attempted the grapple technique with the Librarian--I didn't feel it worked too well with how I was thinking about handling the fight (although that one did take me quite a bit of attempts, so maybe there's something to that and less with my stubborn attempts to do it my way). In my failed recordings with the Heir I stumbled across the freeze wand and also backing up the boss to the wall and trying to cheese it (which didn't work too well for me on the actual successful recordings). I might have to poke around at speedruns...curious to see how this game can be blazed through.

StarFyter
Oct 10, 2012

Congrats on finishing the game in the ways a reasonable person can be expected to. Shame we didn't get to see your other fights with the final boss. I really enjoyed figuring that fight out, and the almost dance it becomes when fought completely straight.

Completely understandable using the freeze bolts to get a recording out at all however, it is a pretty exhausting fight to do over and over, especially when good recordings end up failing one way or another.

The puzzle aspect of the search for the true ending was... interesting. While it was quite satisfying to puzzle it out with a friend I was playing the game with, I probably would not have enjoyed some parts of that nearly as much trying to do it alone. Really glad I had another likeminded blockhead to bounce ideas off of.

cant cook creole bream posted:

If you collected some collectibles, you can enter a room. In that room, if you press the d-pad to make various letters of the cyphered language appear, which switch when you press buttons. If you produce the the right combination, those happen to form an url to a website so you can have a bit of ARG to finish the game off.

That's a different thing entirely, this one is far stupider, but in a different (very funny) way
The back cover ritual gives you a single "bit" of currency and a silly fanfare. You're thinking of the page 54 memo secret

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

The Lone Badger posted:

cant cook creole bream posted:

You've misinterpreted. You're thinking of the back page, which has a note about further secrets and support. The back cover tells you to go to where you first got the sword and input a code. When you do, a chest appears with some fanfare. It contains 1 gold piece. E:f;b